No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve had luck talismans and the line show up in my games. They work by doing things like turning your 1s into 10s when you roll a botch. “The woman you bumped into turns out to be a princess” feels more like ST fiat, and I’m not sure how to mechanize it, is what I’m saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      I’ve had luck talismans and the line show up in my games. They work by doing things like turning your 1s into 10s when you roll a botch. “The woman you bumped into turns out to be a princess” feels more like ST fiat, and I’m not sure how to mechanize it, is what I’m saying.
      Seems a might strong for a luck talisman.

But hey, it worked for Aladdin. So why not your players?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
        but, you did shit on Accelerator 's idea. "In what way is [Sorcerous Working that gives strange luck] different then a ST just throwing a bunch of rando shit in?" does not a healthy question make. Domino from Deadpool 2 had the "extreme luck" superpower, is that the same as saying "she doesnt have a power the director just wanted to shoehorn her in so here's a bunch of rando stuff"? Does Logan's power of healing not exist when the Director can just say "yeah you survived that bullet"? It's a bad comparison you made, and the wording in it leads me only to bad faith interpretations.

I'm also someone who "actually has to ST for people" and your concern about "stories work better when there’s some coherence to things" is a wildly off base remark, because the Working literally provides a coherent reason for random things to happen. That's literally the power in question. A sorcerer takes a mortal's thread off the Loom and does some magic shenanigans to it and voila! it runs into other amazing events seemingly randomly. Because it's powered by literal magic.

If you can't reconcile a Working that twists people's fate and luck into whatever kind of game that you run, that's a you problem.
        Thanks, Sorcerous Overlord

Lioness why the fuck is TheCountAlucard allowed to act like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Thanks, Sorcerous Overlord

Lioness why the fuck is TheCountAlucard allowed to act like this?
          Don't make a storm in a peachtea cup mate, we're just at "forumn banter" level here. Alucard might have worded his disagreement better but it;s nothing worth calling mum out to the playground.

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          I’ve had luck talismans and the line show up in my games. They work by doing things like turning your 1s into 10s when you roll a botch. “The woman you bumped into turns out to be a princess” feels more like ST fiat, and I’m not sure how to mechanize it, is what I’m saying.
          This is a healthy and valid way to express your concern over a Working. As ST, I would just find a reason why my regular plothooks would cross paths with the Worked Over One and prewrite some interesting shenanigans to pull out of the metaphorical hat.

"Turning around the corner, a women trying and failing to cover her aristocratic clothes and jewels with rough cloth barges right into you and trips. She is being chased by 3 cruel looking thugs."
          Ok, I go to step inbetween them and put my hand on my swordhilt
          Ok, they see you defending the girl and bark out at you in Flametongue. He pulls out his sword and ... (check notes) a loud clamor appears off to your right. sensing trouble, you duck as the Sultan's Menagerie barrels down the road. A hungry looking blue tiger lands on the lead bandit and starts eating his face. the remaining two bandits draw their swords and...." tadaaaaa.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
            Don't make a storm in a peachtea cup mate, we're just at "forumn banter" level here. Alucard might have worded his disagreement better but it;s nothing worth calling mum out to the playground.
            This is not the first time he has done this. I"m just about done with this shit.

Comment

This is not the first time he has done this. I"m just about done with this shit.
              He...disagreed with your idea. Calm down man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kalzky View Post

He...disagreed with your idea. Calm down man.
                There are many ways to disagree.

This was not one of them.

Comment

There are many ways to disagree.

This was not one of them.
                  It definitely was and wasn't even overly impolite in the grand scheme of internet discussions.

Comment

• So I'm work-shopping a working my underworld obsessed Lunar may make at some point; I was interested in seeing some opinions on if it is a Celestial or Solar circle working.

Byrgan Flame

A Byrgan Flame is a crackling blue-green bonfire of pyre-flame nested in a vast brazier of soulsteel and red jade. It is pyre-flame subverted by the purifying essence of creation-fire. It radiates a comforting warmth and at its center burns a core of bright red.

While within medium range of the Byrgan Flame, ghosts no longer hear the whispers of the Neverborn. Ghosts with derangements derived from the Labyrinth or similar suppress them as long as they remain within the flame’s protective light.

Creatures like Nephwracks, who are too tainted by the neverborn to ever truly heal, are incapable of entering the protective radius of a Byrgan Flame. Deathlords are able to withstand the light, though the intensity of the fire imposes a -2 penalty to all actions they take while near it.

Ghosts or necromancers may bond with a Byrgan Flame by tossing something of deep personal value into it. This may be an object or something more abstract, like a memory. For as long as they remain so bonded to the flame, they suppress a single intimacy they possess that resonates with their sacrifice.

Those bonded to the fire find it no longer burns them, and they may take a piece of the flame out of the brazier with their bare hands. It continues to burn so long as they remain within a mile of the central brazier; the power of the Byrgan Flame burns out from short range of that piece of the fire. A piece of the Byrgan Flame like this will not burn anything around it, and those bonded to it may leave it in any container they might store liquid in. They are not uncommonly seen hanging from bottles in some vistas of the underworld. These small fires are difficult to extinguish, but can be easily recovered from the central brazier.

Every year, at calibration, every piece of the Brygan flame taken from the brazier goes out.The Byrgan flame must be stoked with the willing sacrifice of a single ghost, or dozens of living animals. Additionally, every ghost or necromancer bonded with the Byrgan flame must erode the intimacy they have suppressed to bond with it. If this erodes the intimacy away completely, they must make a new sacrifice and suppress another intimacy.

Once the fire has been fed, those bonded with it may take a new piece of flame for their personal use.

Should the fire not be fed, then it will go out for an entire year. At the next calibration, ten ghosts must be fed to the brazier to ignite it once more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zale View Post
                      So I'm work-shopping a working my underworld obsessed Lunar may make at some point; I was interested in seeing some opinions on if it is a Celestial or Solar circle working.
                      It's a cool effect! A couple of things: First, what does a suppressed Intimacy do? Is it basically just gone? Second, if Deathlords can enter the area, but don't like it, I'd suggest saying that that counts as a minor Intimacy of dislike for them.

As to its level, I'd peg it at Solar 1. I'd say the ability to put down anti-spectre fires anywhere within a mile of the central flame would match the example of "Ward an entire city against invasion with supernatural traps, barriers, or concealment". I suppose, given that only affects Neverborn-touched beings, one could argue that it's less powerful, but I feel that the ability to purge the Whispers from others bumps it back up again.

Comment

• Sounds more like an artifact to me; that said, if pressed I'd probably peg it at Celestial 3. EDIT: Scratch that, Kelly's right.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-22-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          Sounds more like an artifact to me;
                          It does kind of skirt the line between working and artifact, but I think that given its (apparently) stationary nature, working makes a bit more sense. If the brazier was movable, though, I'd definitely lean more towards artifact.

Comment

• Hmm. That makes sense. The brazer was not intended as being an important fixture of the working- it'd probably be a sorcerous means since I'm in a game with a twilight crafter. I should have emphasized that better.

Also! I forgot that suppressed isn't a big templating thing, so I'll need to write it out: the intimacy can't be used in social influence or to resist social influence.

Comment

• I had in mind for a character concept a No Moon Lunar that had taken over the life of a young Dragon Blooded Dynast but kept her alive and locked in a cell somewhere. I was thinking of a sorcerous working on the cell that would slowly sap the will of anyone that stays in it for more than say a day, essentially hollowing them out. Which circle and level of ambition would you say it is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
                                I was thinking of a sorcerous working on the cell that would slowly sap the will of anyone that stays in it for more than say a day, essentially hollowing them out. Which circle and level of ambition would you say it is?
                                If it's just draining temporary Willpower and perhaps preventing Willpower regeneration through sleep, I think you could justify Terrestrial 2. Note that that wouldn't really "hollow them out", though. They'd be less likely to succeed, since they don't have WP to burn, and they'll be less resistant to attempts to persuade them, since they can't go into decision points, but neither of those effects makes them non-persons or anything. If you wanted a more severe effect, perhaps something along the lines of being dream-eaten by a raksha, I'd obviously go with a higher level. I think an effect capable of doing what I've just described would probably be Celestial 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X