Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I still wouldn't put it beyond the range of Terrestrial 2; that said, have you read Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?
    No, not the original. I'm more familiar with the musical and pop osmosis versions.


    I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

      No, not the original. I'm more familiar with the musical and pop osmosis versions.
      The man, Dr. Jekyll, seeks to separate out the 2 parts of a human mind, the good and evil side.

      He takes a drug that does so, temporarily suppressing his good side, leaving only the evil, which is Mr. Hyde. Problem is, it turns out that there was an impurity within the drug. Slowly but surely, Mr. Hyde began to take over his psyche. He started to slip away, to drift off, and when he awoke, it turned out Mr. Hyde had taken over his body and wrecked havoc.

      The novel ends with Dr. Jekyll being lost forever, and Mr. Hyde taking over his body.

      Comment


      • 2 ideas.

        1: You know how the size of empires and nations are often limited by communications? I got a sorcerer that wants to change that. So let's say that he wants to enchant 2 mirrors to basically act as skype. What working is this? Terrestrial 3?

        2. I wish for a mortal clan to be born with the innate power of terrestrial circle sorcery. What level is this? Celestial 3?

        Comment


        • Spoilers for a classic bit of literature…

          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          The man, Dr. Jekyll, seeks to separate out the 2 parts of a human mind, the good and evil side.
          No, he wants to indulge his evil side without getting caught.

          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Problem is, it turns out that there was an impurity within the drug. Slowly but surely, Mr. Hyde began to take over his psyche.
          While both of these things are true, the impurity is only a problem when he tries whipping up a new batch and finding it doesn't work.

          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          The novel ends with Dr. Jekyll being lost forever, and Mr. Hyde taking over his body.
          The novel ends with the protagonist finding Jekyll and Hyde's body and suicide note.


          Anyway, moving on…

          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          1: You know how the size of empires and nations are often limited by communications? I got a sorcerer that wants to change that. So let's say that he wants to enchant 2 mirrors to basically act as skype. What working is this? Terrestrial 3?
          I'd say Celestial 2.

          2. I wish for a mortal clan to be born with the innate power of terrestrial circle sorcery. What level is this? Celestial 3?
          N/A.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 10-06-2017, 11:00 PM.

          Comment


          • What level of working would it take to counter the negative side-effects of having Mists of Eventide as a control spell? That is, being able to sleep restfully without needing to surround yourself with said mists.

            Incidentally, I think the sleep-walking mind-control aspects of the control effect should PROBABLY be made into Evocations, because that shit sounds too powerful to have unrestricted and for free.


            Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

            My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

            Comment


            • What level Working would it take for a Sorcerer to grant themself the power to make fire Holy (as in agg to creatures of darkness) with a gesture? i.e. a mudra or a word of power that could turn an existing forest fire into a holy pyre of ghost-/demon-eradication.

              Asking for a fire-DB pact-with-an-ifrit-lord friend. (I'm guessing Celestial 1, but given the scope maybe higher?)
              Last edited by Fata-Ku; 10-07-2017, 12:02 AM.


              Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
              Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                What level Working would it take for a Sorcerer to grant themself the power to make fire Holy (as in agg to creatures of darkness) with a gesture? i.e. a mudra or a word of power that could turn an existing forest fire into a holy pyre of ghost-/demon-eradication.

                Asking for a fire-DB pact-with-an-ifrit-lord friend. (I'm guessing Celestial 1, but given the scope maybe higher?)
                Fire as in existing fire is now holy.
                Or as in generate new fire that is also holy?


                I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

                  Fire as in existing fire is now holy.
                  Or as in generate new fire that is also holy?
                  "Blessing" an existing fire.


                  Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                  Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                    "Blessing" an existing fire.
                    Hm...I'd say terrestrial 2. It's working with and enhancing a natural phenomon that you have (hypothetically) little control over, rather than making something entirely new, like Celesital does.


                    I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                    Comment


                    • What level would a working that would create an image in the sky, visible for many hundreds of miles, that would send a message from the sorcerer be?

                      I am also a bit unsure on how the exp cost would be for something that is a one time effect... Any thoughts?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Volivat View Post
                        What level would a working that would create an image in the sky, visible for many hundreds of miles, that would send a message from the sorcerer be?

                        I am also a bit unsure on how the exp cost would be for something that is a one time effect... Any thoughts?

                        I would suggest that if the effect is supposed to be one-time-only, then it's better modelled as a spell, rather than a working. That's one of the big differences, in my opinion, between spells and workings: spells are typically temporary (with some exceptions like Benediction of Archgenesis, of course), while a sorcerous working, once created, is basically permanent - at most, another working can warp it, or other circumstances render it useless. But the working itself will still be there.

                        So, I'd peg a spell to create a giant image visible for hundreds of miles, that can convey a message, a Celestial Circle spell. As a working, creating a permanent image visible for hundreds of miles would be a Celestial circle working, Ambition 1 if it was stuck with one image (and thus message) eternally, Ambition 2 if it could be changed, within certain parameters (so, for example, a giant image of the sorcerer, who could gesture to ward off intruders, make signs with their hands to communicate in sign language, and so on, but was still limited to being an image of the sorcerer), and Ambition 3 if the image could be literally anything the sorcerer wanted, changed on the fly.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post


                          I would suggest that if the effect is supposed to be one-time-only, then it's better modelled as a spell, rather than a working. That's one of the big differences, in my opinion, between spells and workings: spells are typically temporary (with some exceptions like Benediction of Archgenesis, of course), while a sorcerous working, once created, is basically permanent - at most, another working can warp it, or other circumstances render it useless. But the working itself will still be there.

                          So, I'd peg a spell to create a giant image visible for hundreds of miles, that can convey a message, a Celestial Circle spell. As a working, creating a permanent image visible for hundreds of miles would be a Celestial circle working, Ambition 1 if it was stuck with one image (and thus message) eternally, Ambition 2 if it could be changed, within certain parameters (so, for example, a giant image of the sorcerer, who could gesture to ward off intruders, make signs with their hands to communicate in sign language, and so on, but was still limited to being an image of the sorcerer), and Ambition 3 if the image could be literally anything the sorcerer wanted, changed on the fly.
                          I think I disagree with this reasoning. At least in a broad sense. Certainly, if this is an effect that the player intends to repeat or re-use whenever they need, this would be best modeled as a spell. however if the player wants to do this as a one-off (and is okay with permanently losing the xp spent the working since once your sign has been see then it cannot be neutralized afterwards), it would likely work better as a working.

                          I could see it as enacting a working that re-shapes the clouds into your message but not specifying what happens to the clouds afterwards. IE, those clouds are forever transformed into the message, but then they dissipate and shift as clouds do and then the message is gone forever.

                          I don't think it's worth forcing the player to create a brand new sorcerous spell just ot perform something like this, but if they're planning on doing it again, then yeah this fits better as a spell.

                          Comment


                          • If I were to make a music box that healed and regenerated and relaxed all who heard it, what working would it be? Celestial 1?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                              If I were to make a music box that healed and regenerated and relaxed all who heard it, what working would it be? Celestial 1?

                              Depends on the exact level of healing, I think. I'd probably peg it as always Celestial-tier in general, but something like just granting mortals Exalted-level healing rates would be Ambition 1, while stepping up even exalted to something like healing lethal levels in the time it normally takes to heal bashing would be Ambition 2, and straight up "listen to this for a few minutes, be completely healed of all wounds" would be Ambition 3.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                                2. I wish for a mortal clan to be born with the innate power of terrestrial circle sorcery. What level is this? Celestial 3?
                                The city of Ysyr shows that such a mutation can and does exist, so I'd call it Terrestrial 2 to apply to a single person. Applying it to an entire clan would be Celestial level, probably Ambition 2 or 3, unless you're willing to apply it to one person at a time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X