Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
    The city of Ysyr shows that such a mutation can and does exist, so I'd call it Terrestrial 2 to apply to a single person. Applying it to an entire clan would be Celestial level, probably Ambition 2 or 3, unless you're willing to apply it to one person at a time.
    The potential for TCS exists certainly, but they'd still have to initiate into the circle like everybody else. If Accelerator is talking about automatic initiation that might even be a solar circle working

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Depends on the exact level of healing, I think. I'd probably peg it as always Celestial-tier in general, but something like just granting mortals Exalted-level healing rates would be Ambition 1, while stepping up even exalted to something like healing lethal levels in the time it normally takes to heal bashing would be Ambition 2, and straight up "listen to this for a few minutes, be completely healed of all wounds" would be Ambition 3.
      Exalted level healing rates

Comment

• How about linking two places with a portal/door that would allow people stepping throught to be transported from one to the other?

Both places being in Creation, I'm not talking about portals to other realms.

I'm thinking Celestial 2, but I'm not sure.

Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
        I do maps for your games!
        Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
          How about linking two places with a portal/door that would allow people stepping throught to be transported from one to the other?

Both places being in Creation, I'm not talking about portals to other realms.

I'm thinking Celestial 2, but I'm not sure.
          Eh, most likely celestial 3 or solar 1

Given that these are similar to those first age teleport gates. Also, what's the size. Instant transportation is very useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
            The potential for TCS exists certainly, but they'd still have to initiate into the circle like everybody else. If Accelerator is talking about automatic initiation that might even be a solar circle working
            Automatic initiation.

I was thinking of people like the Crimson magic clan from konosuba.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
              Automatic initiation.

I was thinking of people like the Crimson magic clan from konosuba.
              Yeah as automatic initiation that everybody in the clan gets and it's hereditary? Either Solar Circle 2 or just straight up impossible. You're talking something that would seriously break the setting to have access to. An army of sorcerers that you just have to breed is a seriously big deal.

It would involve impressing the members of the tribe with the right amount of occult to be able to cast spells and meet the initiation requirements. My ST and I were talking about this actually. We figured that since a solar (and potentially other exalts) get access to TCS at occult 3, it makes sense for mortals to need occult 4-5 to get there. You're also talking about bypassing initiation requirements so I'd guess they'd all be getting a custom initiation (not gonna be born with a pact with an ifreet lord after all).

If it was my game I wouldn't allow it, but if you've gotta choose a circle and ambition, I'd say Solar Ambition 2.

Comment

• What about just giving the capacity to become a sorcerer?

Comment

• Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
                  How about linking two places with a portal/door that would allow people stepping throught to be transported from one to the other?
                  Personally, I'd peg that at Celestial 3. I think the utility and power of moving instantly between two points in the same realm is about equal to that of opening a portal between realms, and the latter is canonically Celestial 3. I might call it Celestial 2 if the distance was relatively short - no more than a couple days' journey.

Comment

What about just giving the capacity to become a sorcerer?
                    I'd call that Solar Ambition 2, myself. I agree with armyofwhispers about not allowing a working of "you automatically initiate as a sorcerer" at all, but if I were to allow it, I'd put it at Solar 3 myself, so Solar 2 for giving everyone the potential to initiate seems right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I'd call that Solar Ambition 2, myself. I agree with armyofwhispers about not allowing a working of "you automatically initiate as a sorcerer" at all, but if I were to allow it, I'd put it at Solar 3 myself, so Solar 2 for giving everyone the potential to initiate seems right.
                      What about just 1 person?

Comment

What about just 1 person?
                        Solar 1 sounds right for that.

Comment

• As indicated by my previous post, I disagree. An inheritable mutation that basically allows you to become a sorceror with Occult 3 but without needing to buy a shaping ritual is a big deal, but it's not a game breaker. Occult 3 is a considerable accomplishment, it's well above "regular professional" skill level, and the mutation itself is established in the core book.

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
                            An inheritable mutation that basically allows you to become a sorceror with Occult 3 but without needing to buy a shaping ritual is a big deal, but it's not a game breaker. Occult 3 is a considerable accomplishment, it's well above "regular professional" skill level, and the mutation itself is established in the core book.
                            Mm. I suppose (assuming that you're referring to Ysyr as the mutation granting sorcery) that the Solar-scale effect in that is really granting everybody in a wide area the sorcery mutation, rather than the fact that it's granting it at all. I could see pulling it down a bit. I still wouldn't use Terrestrial 2, though, even if that's the normal level to grant mutations, and Ysyr-style sorcery is eventually modeled as a mutation, because sorcery really isn't comparable, power-wise, to the majority of mutations. If Terrestrial-level sorcerers could do so, I think they would be going out and granting sorcerery to lots of people. Another sorcerer is potentially much more capable as an ally or a servant than someone with claws. I think it does undesirable things to the setting to make sorcery so easy to give to people. I'd put it at Celestial 2, at least.

Comment

• I think the gameline's general take is that being able to grant people sorcerous potential on demand is a no-no. En masse and individually. If you want an individual character to have that potential, simply ask your ST and they can decide they can, even if they've not had the chance to act on it.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• You're both assuming that any noticeable number of sorcerors would be willing to perform such a ritual. Also, if you do some arithmetic you'll find that 10 threshold successes in 5 rolls with a difficulty above 1 is fairly difficult to get, virtually requiring various means.

Comment

Working...
                                X