Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Accelerator
    • Feb 2017

Alright fine. Maybe my sense of scale is different from others..... Maybe. i'm not sure.

Though agriculture? Fine. Lights? fine.

But what do you mean about the human condition?

Comment

• TheCountAlucard
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      But what do you mean about the human condition?
      You've asked about changing people into "mini-Exalts." You've asked for Space Marines. About what it takes to be able to consistently turn humans into demons. You've asked about giving people sorcery, Excellencies, Charms, thaumaturgy, mutations, and so on.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM.

He/him

Comment

• Accelerator
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        You've asked about changing people into "mini-Exalts." You've asked for Space Marines. About what it takes to be able to consistently turn humans into demons. You've asked about giving people Charms, thaumaturgy, mutations, and so on.
        Bah. That's just a power boost. Its not like I'm asking to change the entire human race at once. Besides, I don't think that i've made any actual sorcerous workings like that.

Comment

• TheCountAlucard
          • Nov 2013

Besides, I don't think that i've made any actual sorcerous workings like that.
          By your own admission, you've never played Exalted before, so, yes, this is true.

But you've reliably come to this thread to ask us about these kinds of projects, and disagreed with us, or "sigh"-ed, or said "Fine then," whenever we didn't rate your Working at Terrestrial 3 or whatever you felt was appropriate. All I want you to do is own that.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-21-2018, 09:00 AM.

He/him

Comment

• Amayad
            • Jul 2018

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with large-scale improvements to the standard of living in Creation - that's called "rebuilding the First Age by degrees" and is absolutely the purview of Solars.

But in order to get a handle on exactly what kind of miracles you're performing, it helps to get an idea of how the average mortal in Creation lives:

*Most people are illiterate. This is mostly because being literate takes effort and won't get you much payoff as a laborer.
            *Most people have to worry about infection, disease, starvation and such.
            *Most people live and die within 100 miles of their birthplace. Travel is slow.
            *For most people, the sight of a first-circle demon is cause for serious concern. You don't charge a Blood Ape, you have your wise folk burn *all* the offerings to your patron god while you round up fifty militiamen to stab it to death.

This is assuming you don't decide to worship it, which is absolutely an option. It is about as powerful as your local god, and is clearly paying way more attention to you right now.

So, picture the historical Iron Age, except that magic exists. For most of the world it really doesn't make up for the fact that angry gods and monsters also exist.

Comment

• Accelerator
              • Feb 2017

So.... if I was to play a game, I would probably be the guy trying to pull a Salina?

Comment

• Amayad
                • Jul 2018

So.... if I was to play a game, I would probably be the guy trying to pull a Salina?
                Most likely! And you can definitely do things like her Open Sourcery Project , but not for anything less than a Solar Working.

Mind you, that doesn't mean you have to have Solar Circle Sorcery to do it. Celestial Initiation and a lot of reckless disregard for your own limitations can get you Solar Workings.

Comment

• Accelerator
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Amayad View Post

Most likely! And you can definitely do things like her Open Sourcery Project , but not for anything less than a Solar Working.

Mind you, that doesn't mean you have to have Solar Circle Sorcery to do it. Celestial Initiation and a lot of reckless disregard for your own limitations can get you Solar Workings.
                  Yes yes Yes! And a sorcerous working across creation, to make all subsequent workings easier. Maybe a decrease in difficulty or more intervals.

Comment

• Amayad
                    • Jul 2018

I'm not sure if..Meta-sorcery is a thing. Surely if it were possible to do, the First Age Solars would have done it to further their own ends by now. Hell, maybe they already did, and this is as easy as magic can be made on a Creation-wide scale.

But there are ways to make workings easier for you, they're called "means", and you certainly can acquire some with sorcery. Demonic assistants that are themselves capable of sorcery generally do make things easier.

And now, a Working of my own!

Suppose I want a yakhchal that doesn't need a water or wind supply - it just produces ice from the locally altered geomancy. I moved to Gem for the company, but my vast wealth still can't deliver chilled wine, and this is a travesty I am willing to bend the world in order to rectify.

Comment

• Kelly Pedersen
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Amayad View Post
                      Suppose I want a yakhchal that doesn't need a water or wind supply - it just produces ice from the locally altered geomancy.
                      I'd definitely call this Terrestrial, with the precise amount of ice produced determining the exact ambition. If it was enough to keep just one person in chilled drinks all day, or a small party to each have one drink, that's 1. If it were enough to keep a small party in chilled drinks all day, that's Ambition 2. And if it's enough to keep a small community in chilled drinks all day, that's Ambition 3. In particular, the quantity you'd need to seriously make money selling ice would probably need to be Ambition 3, I think.

Interested in chatting with other Exalted fans online? Join us on the Exalted Discord server!

Comment

• Accelerator
                        • Feb 2017

Question. Can't elementals create ice?

Comment

• TheCountAlucard
                          • Nov 2013

Question. Can't elementals create ice?
                          There's no canonical one that does, but no reason to assume that it's categorically impossible.

He/him

Comment

• Accelerator
                            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            There's no canonical one that does, but no reason to assume that it's categorically impossible.
                            Ah. Which reminds me.

Certain wastelands and deserts in Creation play host to ludicrously profitable trade routes, which are only used so rarely because of the danger, and the need for supplies.

Half-way houses are places with sorcerous workings placed upon them, which mitigate the environmental dangers and provide food and water for places so far from any form of sustenance. Being the only place with food and water and shelter for hundreds of miles about, the owner of the half-way house can set any price and put any condition, and the traders have to follow them.

Such as the fact that the caravans may not carry slaves.

Comment

• Amayad
                              • Jul 2018

Not a bad idea. I'd peg that as a Celestial 1.

Transform a chamber so that its interior emulates the environment of any natural terrain within Creation.

Godforsaken wasteland outside, fertile near-Eastern wilderness inside, problem solved!

You may need to follow up with a Terrestrial 3 to make the place supernaturally abundant, depending on how many traders you expect to use it, or maybe just a Terrestrial 1 to make dutiful, magical groundskeepers and gardeners.

To enforce your will, you may also need a Celestial 1 (ward the place against all intruders with magical barriers) a Celestial 2 (grant the whole structure the ability to rearrange itself such that scumbags find nothing but thorns and malice) or a Terrestrial 2 (just enchant the heavy-ass door with human-level intelligence and tell it the rules.)

That's assuming you want to do the whole thing with nothing but Workings. You might save yourself some trouble by binding a guardian elemental to the place for a year and a day, or using Tiger Warrior Training to raise up a band of elite badass road wardens who specialize in flipping off slavers. I'm sure you can find people that'd gladly pack up their lives to move to the edge of the world and live in relative comfort.

Say, for instance, that band of emancipated slaves you've been accumulating.

Comment

• Accelerator
                                • Feb 2017

Hmm.... part of it was also putting part of it as a manse. I mean, I didn't see the manse rules for 3e, but it's basically a manse with no hearth stone that has environmental control and provider. The supernatural durability and also building it with fortifications. I mean... what are you going to do? Siege it? It's got infinite food and water, while you're stuck in the wastelands. And if you try to bypass it with your caravan, it'll launch an attack from behind you.

So yes. No slaves.

Which reminds me. Is a merit that makes people far more inclined to think well of you and be friendly supernatural or natural?

Comment

Working...