X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiden
    started a topic Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

I figured we could use a thread for people to propose sorcerous working examples that aren't explicitly spelled out in the examples given to us in the corebook, and then have one another judge what Circle and Ambition we believe that working should be. So, I'll get us started with my own proposal!

Say I wanted to give myself an eternal lifespan with a sorcerous working. What Circle do you believe would be required for that, and at what level of Ambition? Obviously there would be caveats to the lifespan due to the limitations of sorcery, but how do I get there in the first place? Or what if I merely wanted to use it to double my lifespan with a one-time working?

Assume I'm not a Sidereal; we know it probably won't work there.
    Last edited by Aiden; 10-27-2015, 09:05 PM.

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Is there a thread for 'most absurd improvised weaponry'?
    As a matter of a fact, someone did make one a while back.

Leave a comment:

• Epee102
    replied
    You know, I've been thinking.

You bless a field to never fail

You bless a scarecrow such that any field it is planted on will never fail.

You bless a spring to flow eternally, in the midst of a desert.

You bless a statue of a toad, to spring water from its mouth eternally, that can be moved around.

What's the difference?
    2 and 4 can be moved, allowing the blessing to be transferred
    3 and 4 still require work to make a farm and cultivate the land.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    You know, I've been thinking.

You bless a field to never fail

You bless a scarecrow such that any field it is planted on will never fail.

You bless a spring to flow eternally, in the midst of a desert.

You bless a statue of a toad, to spring water from its mouth eternally, that can be moved around.

What's the difference?

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post
    Heh... that is funny, and probably very true
    Is there a thread for 'most absurd improvised weaponry'?

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Heh... that is funny, and probably very true

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I mean, resistance and melee charms don't let you put a picnic basket into a pocket dimension.
    I'm pretty sure the picnic basket would count for Summoning the Loyal Steel if you whacked someone upside the head with it, first.

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied

Yeah. But more general.

I mean, resistance and melee charms don't let you put a picnic basket into a pocket dimension.
    True, but there is a Lunar Charm that does (Many Pockets Meditation) provided above. That does not mean you could not use a Working to get to the same place, though. .

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post

Sounds just like "Elsewhere" to me... Melee and Resistance charms let you put weapons and armor in Elsewhere
    Yeah. But more general.

Leave a comment:

• Tymeaus Jalynsfein
    replied
    Ok then...

How about this? There was a moment in fsn that stuck out to me. The mage, caster, moved her cloak covered arm... And revealed was saber, bound by magic.

How about a sorcerous working that grants you a pocket dimension you can bring things into and outside. The size of a warehouse.
    Sounds just like "Elsewhere" to me... Melee and Resistance charms let you put weapons and armor in Elsewhere

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Yeah that makes sense. If you create your artifact for nothing but to channel your Sorcerous Working, it should have a higher reward. The only "problem" is from a balance perspective where the list of existing means seems to be written in a way that makes Solar 3 Workings with good finesse difficult but achievable by assembling lots of conditions, and adding additional means break this balance I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Eh, I’d go with one or two Means, like the examples out of the books. Nine is far too many. If the results of the rolls are insufficient to complete the working, well, you keep the Artifacts.
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    Thanks Kelly Pedersen. Like TheCountAlucard, I think 9 means is a lot, but I get the idea. Using an artefact as a mean is a fine idea actually, I didn't think of it like this.
    Thinking about it, I agree, 9 means is way too many. I'd go higher than 2, because I think the effort of custom-building an artifact for this kind of thing should be rewarded (it's notable, I think, that the "Exotic Components" examples are all stuff you've found or otherwise acquired in the process of other adventures). Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say that "Dedicated Artifice" could be its own category of Means, one that stacks with Exotic Components and Sorcerous Infrastructure. A 2-, 3-, or 4-dot artifact would provide 1 means, a 5-dot would give 2, and an NA artifact would give 3. I wouldn't allow the artifact to be otherwise used even if the working failed, though. In order to use an artifact as a means like this, it would have to be designed from the ground up to channel sorcerous energies, and it would be useless without a working to act on. I would allow an artifact built for a working that failed to be repurposed for a different working, though, as long as the goal of the new working was reasonably similar.

I'd still keep the benefits I mentioned above, with the artifact's power also enhancing what the working could do, and allowing a bit more potency for a given working Ambition, but with that power gated behind evocations.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Thanks Kelly Pedersen. Like TheCountAlucard, I think 9 means is a lot, but I get the idea. Using an artefact as a mean is a fine idea actually, I didn't think of it like this.

Also, yes my player wanted to integrate Craft into the sorcery, because he was a Craft Supernal. That's where it's becoming complicated, usually : Arguing he can craft almost anything (he could), it becomes complicated to separate what is a Solar working or what is a N/A Artefact when the character can produce both "quite" easily, hence my questioning. But I think in retrospect, I should have considered the crown some sort of mean, in particular due to how he used it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Eh, I’d go with one or two Means, like the examples out of the books. Nine is far too many. If the results of the rolls are insufficient to complete the working, well, you keep the Artifacts.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    So, I have no idea where this fits because this is not (only) Sorcery, but I couldn't find any other place to do it so I'll do it here.

One of my former players wanted to have the following :

A moving mountain

[snip]

So, what do you think would be the best to handle this kind of demands ?
    If this is something the character started the game with, I would actually use the Manse merit to model the whole "moving city". Definitely a greater manse, if not NA, though as long as the powers you've described were all confined to the inside of the area, I think they could be defined as the top end of greater.

But as to what sort of working this would be...

Originally posted by Chausse
    In particular, what best fall into the "Working" part, and what best falls into the "Crafting" parts ?
    I think this can all be covered by a working. It's fine for a working to involve an object as a focus or control device of some sort, without making that object an artifact. Where it starts crossing over from "working" to "artifact" is when the powers of the working basically follow the item around, and feel more like they're coming from the object, rather than it being merely the way the user is channeling other power. So in this case, where all the effects are confined to the mountain and the defined area within it, it's sufficient, in my opinion, to call the crown simply a focus for the working.

If you're wondering what level to put all this at, I'd say that making the mountain move would be Solar 2, and so would giving it the mountain disguise. Controlling the weather and detecting traitors in the whole city both sound like Solar 1 workings to me. If the sorcerer wants to combine all of these effects into a single working, that would definitely be Solar 3.

If a player does have Craft as well as sorcery, and wants to integrate an artifact into this kind of thing, there's a couple of ways I'd handle that. First, an Artifact that's intimately tied to the working, and only really functions to affect it and enhance it, would count as a Means while performing the working. I'd be inclined to say that it gives Means equal to its dot rating as an Artifact, minus 1. So a simple 2-dot Artifact would give one extra roll, while a 5-dot artifact would give 4 rolls. An NA artifact would count as 10 dots for this purpose, giving 9 extra rolls. Second, when evaluating the power of the working, I'd reduce my estimate of the power if some or all of the effects weren't inherently on all the time, but rather were evocations of the artifact that had to be learned.

So in your crown-and-mountain example, if the crown were crafted as an Artifact 3, it would provide the workings with 2 extra rolls, and if the weather-control disloyalty-detection powers were evocations that had to be learned, I'd be willing to bump those workings down to Celestial 2, or possibly just fold them into one or the other of the bigger Solar 2 workings. However, I'd definitely specify that the crown would be inherently linked to the whole business - taking it out of the area of the working would either mean the place stopped dead, or possibly would start to move erratically, and I'd make the illusion disguise element go unreliable too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X