How Do Lore Topics Work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do Lore Topics Work?

Okay, I want to make an Exalted character with Lore as an Ability. However, it says that I have to pick a 'topic' for Lore to cover and lists things like Mathematics, History, Philosophy, etc. It says I can't usually roll outside of this topic. Is that the intended reading, or is it that I pick a background like 'Icewalker' which limits me to Lore topics an Icewalker could feasibly have knowledge of but isn't focused on a particular category like that?

Or is it something else entirely? How does this work?

Revlid wrote:
    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

I think its as stated, pick a subject matter, however broad they may be. So, your lore would cover "Philosophy" and you would rarely be making a roll using Lore:Philosophy out side of its purview. You could maybe make a Philosophy roll to know about a particular Philosopher and their history for example.

Comment

It's often more of a background than a topic. For example, the background for your Lore rating could be "educated as a Dynast" and that could cover the subjects likely to be taught.

Comment

It's worth noting that specialties and just role-playing can expand the scope of your Lore 'specialization', as does your background and what not. So it's not that you can never move out of whatever you pick or anything, it's just a starting point for your knowledge, more or less.

Comment

And now I'm getting contradictory answers. Aww crap, I was hoping it was just me who was confused.

@CrownedSun: Yeah, I know that much. I just want to know where my baseline is supposed to be.

Revlid wrote:
          Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

You basically just pick an initial field of study. As already stated, the scope of your Lore will grow as you play. I think it is a very nice way of handling it.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
              You basically just pick an initial field of study. As already stated, the scope of your Lore will grow as you play. I think it is a very nice way of handling it.
              Same here. I like it a lot.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Okay, just to be clear here.

Are you explicitly stating that this post:

Originally posted by AtG View Post
                It's often more of a background than a topic. For example, the background for your Lore rating could be "educated as a Dynast" and that could cover the subjects likely to be taught.
                Is inaccurate?

Revlid wrote:

Comment

Page 152:

Players must note the subject of their character’s education when selecting Lore, as this impacts the scope of what the Ability may cover for them.
                  Page 237:

Once per scene, a character with Lore 3+ and a relevant specialty or backstory can attempt to “know” something useful about Creation’s history, geography, cultures, etc.
                  Note that the context of this roll is important. A character with Lore 5 may have a background in the subject being discussed, or their Lore 5 may apply little or not at all.
                  The way I read all of this is that your lore subject reflects the entire background through which you achieved that lore rating. If you're from a Realm patrician family and have Lore 2 to represent going through all of the expected years of schooling, you will be able to apply that Lore 2 against publicly taught Realm history, proficiency with basic mathematics, the religious scriptures of the Immaculate faith, etc. If you're a historian teaching at a university in Nexus and have Lore 5, that wouldn't tell you anything about chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post
                    The way I read all of this is that your lore subject reflects the entire background through which you achieved that lore rating. If you're from a Realm patrician family and have Lore 2 to represent going through all of the expected years of schooling, you will be able to apply that Lore 2 against publicly taught Realm history, proficiency with basic mathematics, the religious scriptures of the Immaculate faith, etc. If you're a historian teaching at a university in Nexus and have Lore 5, that wouldn't tell you anything about chemistry.
                    So I would put, say, Lore [Monastic Education] and it would cover the array of topics one would expect from such an education (along with all the limits and blindspots of that education)? Rather than just Lore [History]?

Revlid wrote:

Comment

I feel like this is being overthought, though understandably so. My own take on this is just that you have to keep the context of a character's past and background in mind when you're rolling lore - the Lore 5 icewalker medicine man/storyteller/teacher won't care much about the idea of negative numbers but will know virtually all of the stories one can know about the way of life of the icewalkers.

It's in effect so that Lore 5 explicitly does not allow a player who knows the setting really well act as though their character has the same knowledge they do, at least as I understand it.

All that I write but don't cite is simply my perspective, colored by my experiences and beliefs. I extrapolate a lot, too, so don't take it too seriously. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
                        So I would put, say, Lore [Monastic Education] and it would cover the array of topics one would expect from such an education (along with all the limits and blindspots of that education)? Rather than just Lore [History]?
                        Yes, that's my reading of the rules, and I think it's one that works well.

Comment

"Educated as a Dynast," does not seem like it would be an appropriate field. "The Scarlet Dynasty," however would be. Same for "Monastic Education." That's not a field of Lore. "Monastic Tradition," however would be. That's how I read it any way.

Mainly because what does "Educated as a Dynast" cover? Math? History? Geography? Philosophy?

That would be like picking educated at Harvard as a major.
                          Last edited by Gallus; 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

"Educated as a Dynast," does not seem like it would be an appropriate filed. "The Scarlet Dynasty," however would be.
                            A background isn't a specialty - it's part of the story of why your character knows stuff. It should include a perspective, not just content. A Chosen of Secrets will have a completely different notion of that specialty than a Realm scholar, for instance.

When all the world was very young
                            And mountain magic heavy hung
                            The supermen would walk in file
                            Guardians of a loveless isle

Comment

I am aware. Which is why Picking educated as a Dynast would be inappropriate to choose as a field of knowledge for Lore. Like I said. Lore says pick a field of knowledge, not a course of education.

Comment

Working...
                              X