No announcement yet.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had this idea for a god. Might as well make an Exigent out of it.

Burning Winter, Broken God of the First Snows
    Cleansing Winter was once the field god of a Northern village. As part of his duties, he governed the growth and withering of the crops, the preservation of foodstocks and the fall of the first snow of each winter. However, one of the Realm's Lesser Houses sent forth its forces to subdue the village in order to create a commercial foothold in the North. A Fire Aspect sorcerer battled Cleansing Winter and horrifically mutilated the god's Essence so that the village would become dependent upon the Lesser House's assistance to cultivate its crops. Now, the snows called forth by Burning Winter burn white, searing away even the clothes of the god's victims, and leave behind a thick, noxious white fog. Burning Winter would require an Exalted Champion for one of the following tasks:
    - The god's existence is a thing of unspeakable suffering. He wishes to sacrifice his Essence to the Exigence simply to make the burning pain stop.
    - The god demands vengeance upon those who are responsible for his humiliation. He requires an Exigent to wage war against the Realm and burn the Blessed Isle until it can no longer support life.
    - Burning Winter wishes to return to its former self, but lacks the sorcerous knowledge to do so. He requires a champion to venture forth and recover the lost sorcery of the Celestial Circle, which will surely undo the curse of the Fire Aspect sorcerer.
    - A certain Sidereal has been tasked with restoring the god's proper Fate, but cannot intervene directly against the Dragonblooded sorcerer, who has somehow learned of the Chosen of the Maidens and taken appropriate precautions against them. Instead, the Sidereal has elected to nominate one of the villagers as Burning Winter's Exalted Champion, and to support her in restoring the field god's power.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Gayo View Post
      The first Exigent I'm likely to do is Zhuzhiao, whom you may recall is sort of a "dragon hoard" octopus god of shipwrecks and the lightless depths. He jealously guards sunken treasure and will only trade for something of greater value. The default recommended hook for this exigent, I think, if you don't have anything in mind, is just "someone stole something really valuable from Zhuzhiao, and he has little idea where they took it, and in any event it's likely on land where his power is diminished," because this is a pretty straightforway to get that Exigent to any part of the world.
      One of his powers is his ability to summon up any artifact from below the waves. I was trying to figure out a way to make this an Exigent charm, letting the Exigent summon up artifacts, but it just seemed like a power that would give them too many issues and cause problems at the table. Any idea of how you're thinking of approaching that?

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
        Is that something we've been told? I was under the impression it was up to the God (player/ST) designing the new Exaltation if they wanted it to be a permanent thing or not...
        While I don't know exactly what the developers have in mind, a general rule of thumb is that Exaltations are miracles created by gods neither omnipotent nor omniscient, and not devices crafted by engineers on scientific principles. Their natures and qualities, powers and limitations, are functions of narrative and mythic resonance. In short: They are as the storyteller defines them, which is not necessarily how their creators would choose to define them if they were omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly rational actors.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

That does open the door to some weird and wild conceptions...Right now, I'm entertaining the notion of an Exigent Exaltation that starts off weak, but steadily grows in power, adding a dot to Essence a month/year, until it finally burns out its host at its maximum rating. The Exigent knows that he has but a little, limited time to accomplish his goal, before passing it on to his successor, who can hopefully succeed where he failed...

Comment

One of the two exigent sets I've been working one of them are Ghouls, the chosen of Han-Tha. I was planning on setting them up almost like a zombie-plague-style. They can spread their Exaltation via biting other people. Of course, while technically "Exalted" being a Ghoul is very much not something you don't want to turn into.

Comment

This isn't an example really of a specific one but I think one of the more important things about exigence is how it will change the setting. The 2nd edition setting did a poor job of providing other groups who had common essence use. It certainly seemed to come across in some ways that supernatural puissance meant one of two options. Either you were dealing with a Dragonblooded of some kind or Anathema. Introducing the idea of Exigents and making it at least somewhat common gives so much more options to the Celestial who desires to stay under the radar. Of course this might have been done with superior godblooded rules or setting support but those seemed to be less common than Exalted were. Just a personal feeling I got from the second edition in terms of what the options were when you encountered a human who can wield essence.

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                  While I don't know exactly what the developers have in mind, a general rule of thumb is that Exaltations are miracles created by gods neither omnipotent nor omniscient, and not devices crafted by engineers on scientific principles. Their natures and qualities, powers and limitations, are functions of narrative and mythic resonance. In short: They are as the storyteller defines them, which is not necessarily how their creators would choose to define them if they were omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly rational actors.
                  Mister Minton is a smart kitty!

A god can't very well forge his very essence into a divine fire for humanity without, y'know, putting his essence into it.

Also I've capitalized the first letter in "Essence" often enough that my phone's autocorrect recognizes that as the default.

He/him

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to do the Chosen of Artificial Flight in Heaven's Reach. Does anyone know a comprehensive book on the history of aerospace engineering?

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.

Comment

I thought the God of Personal Tutors would be an interesting source for an Exigent - the powers could make you the ultimate sifu, drill sergeant, or sorcery tutor. Of course, you would receive the Exigence by being taught it by another Chosen of the Classroom, making the number of Exigents potentially unlimited. So you'd have to make the "course" last for years of full-time study, and have some uncertainty about whether you "graduate". I wouldn't kill off the God, just have him lose a whole lot of power and be demoted to something like "God of Inspirational Teachers of Disadvantaged Children". No idea what he'd need an Exigent for in the first place, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth3 View Post
                        I thought the God of Personal Tutors would be an interesting source for an Exigent - the powers could make you the ultimate sifu, drill sergeant, or sorcery tutor. Of course, you would receive the Exigence by being taught it by another Chosen of the Classroom, making the number of Exigents potentially unlimited. So you'd have to make the "course" last for years of full-time study, and have some uncertainty about whether you "graduate". I wouldn't kill off the God, just have him lose a whole lot of power and be demoted to something like "God of Inspirational Teachers of Disadvantaged Children". No idea what he'd need an Exigent for in the first place, though.
                        Perhaps a political gambit?
                        "I lose a lot of power now, but I happen to live forever and, with some political maneuvering and my Exalted spreading my portfolio of training and education far and wide, I can become a true powerhouse in Yu-Shan! Maybe even vie for the position of Head of the Bureau of Humanity! Oh, the power, the Influence, the Ambrosia!...and the humans would advance and live better too, I guess."

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Yeah, something like that. The propagation of the Exigence might be slow, but if it's Celestial-level and enough students manage to graduate, it could eventually be massively powerful. Actual mechanics would have to wait for Third Edition, but I have a few ideas for charms. You could make training times instant for anything you could conventionally teach, enlighten Dragon Kings instantly, and detect any Ability that someone else learnt from a personal tutor. Maybe you could even teach sorcery spells and martial arts you don't even know, or train people to abilities beyond your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                            Plentimon of the Dice, God of Gambling

Plentimon is the god of gambling and gamblers. Threats to his purview include:
                            - An Abyssal gambler created an artifact deck of soulsteel cards which entraps the souls of those who gamble with it and lose. The Deathknight has used this artifact to capture the souls of mortals as well as the essence of spirits... including Plentimon himself. Before his essence was sealed, the God of Gambling was able to send a portion of it out to Exalt a champion capable of outwitting the Deathknight and releasing his trapped souls..

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures?

The only thing I'm not liking here are the Soulsteel cards...I think we sometimes forget that Soulsteel is a bottomless void in the shape of an object, blacker than the blackest black. You wouldn't be able to see what cards you were playing with!

Cards made of human skin, with actual bone detailing might work. Better yet, have this be done by an upgrade to that Ink Monkey gambling charm (the one I'm pretty sure must have been inspired by "Gonna Roll the Bones")!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatSmellyGoblin View Post

Ahlat has many fanatic followers among the southern people of Harborhead. Among these, the Brides of Ahlat are the most notable. He has previously championed a daughter among them that did grand things and with Exigence has the opportunity to do this again. One must gather his people against the rule of the Realm.

Hmm...How would you all feel if 3E retconned Ahlat's daughter, Blood-on-the-Horn, into being an Exigent instead? It would show how they have shaped the world...but would it take away from God-Bloods?

Comment

I think it'd just be... off for Ahlat. The connection between the Brides of Ahlat and the Exigents is just so obvious that I don't think Ahlat would Exalt one of his children.

Now, if Blood-on-the-Horn was retconned into one of Ahlat's Brides, then it would make more sense for her to be the Chosen of Southern War. It'd probably still be weird though, what with the history she already has.

Comment

Working...
                                X