Why so many dice tricks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sotmh View Post
    Some of the dice tricks are fine; double 7s, 8s, 9s are no big deal. But when I see stuff like "Reroll 6s until 6s fail to appear" I think this charm is the answer to the question "My players aren't spending enough time administering the system instead of interacting with the world, how can I change that?". Because having to make sure I count specific numbers on my dice and my opponents dice and then rerolling them an indeterminate amount of times such that a single roll of 10-20 dice which normally would take 2-3 seconds to manage now takes 15-20 seconds to manage isn't my idea of an improvement to an already slow resolution mechanic.

Have you tried using it yet? It might not be for everybody, but my group's experience so far has been that the extra 5-10 seconds spent are a fun 5-10 seconds as they watch victory snatched from defeat, or what their charm push their success to critical heights with an unexpected surplus.

Comment

Some of the dice tricks are fine; double 7s, 8s, 9s are no big deal. But when I see stuff like "Reroll 6s until 6s fail to appear" I think this charm is the answer to the question "My players aren't spending enough time administering the system instead of interacting with the world, how can I change that?". Because having to make sure I count specific numbers on my dice and my opponents dice and then rerolling them an indeterminate amount of times such that a single roll of 10-20 dice which normally would take 2-3 seconds to manage now takes 15-20 seconds to manage isn't my idea of an improvement to an already slow resolution mechanic.

It produces a rather different experience when the outcome of all that rolling is meaningful and important, rather than a dreary task that is probably just going to bounce off of Adamant Skin Technique in the end anyway.

Comment

Some of the dice tricks are fine; double 7s, 8s, 9s are no big deal. But when I see stuff like "Reroll 6s until 6s fail to appear" I think this charm is the answer to the question "My players aren't spending enough time administering the system instead of interacting with the world, how can I change that?".
        Honestly I don't even mind those. Rerolling and doubling and exploding 10s and whatnot are rad, and it feels good to use them. You can tell not just that your Charms make a difference, you can see how each Charm in the combination interacts with the others, so they all seem cool,and I can imagine the Solar character's essence surging and pushing and erupting into moments of unexpected magnificence. The ones that require you to ask how many 1s and 2s the other guy rolled are more irritating, but even those are tolerable once the people around the table know to be looking for 1s and 2s and it doesn't seem so obnoxious. I was skeptical, but I am totally on board with the shenanigans now.

No, the ones that made my players and I shake our heads and mouth "What the fuck?" were things like Rising Sun Slash. A 7-8-9-10 straight? Really? And only under certain circumstances? And such an unexciting result, too (like, does the other guy get lifted off his feet in a crazy melee uppercut? No? Just a success and a few more dice?). And now I find myself not just counting up successes but pausing the action while I arrange my dice to look for a straight that might have happened, because I can't actually predict it, and maybe it didn't happen at all, and every time it doesn't I am disappointed and everyone else is just like "there there, maybe next time bro" because I have to make a conscious effort to look for this thing which isn't otherwise readily apparent.

And you know what? Even that would be okay if it was it's own little optional branch, because then a player could decide whether he wants that experience or not. But...no, if I want to get Hungry Tiger Technique (and I totally do) then I have to buy this thing. Ugh. Dice tricks are cool and fine as long as they are not intrusive, but there are a couple that just seem too loopy to live.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Working...
        X