Translating Exalted to Korean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translating Exalted to Korean

Now that I can finally play Ex3, I'm planning a game here. The main problem is that I live in Korea and finding English-speaking Exalted players seems a little difficult. So I've been working on a project to translate bits of Exalted to Korean. The plan isn't to translate the -entire- book, but to establish translation conventions that will help me talk about Exalted to Korean-speaking gamers.

After a recommendation, I'm posting about my progress.

What I am going for with the translation:
    1. Make Exalted approachable to Korean speakers
    2. Give the translated lexicon and texts a mythic and/or wuxia feel
    3. Condense as much etymologically implied meanings in the translated text

These goals are sometimes at odds with each other. Therefore most will be a balancing act. =p

What I want from this thread:
    1. Share my translation choices and their justification for review and improvement
    2. Perhaps cross-reference with other sinosphere languages
    3. Check that my translation choices do not conflict with other established game facts

I don't know how many Korean- or sinosphere-language-users visit these forums, but eh. Doesn't hurt to try!

Now that these are sorta cleared up, I will post sections of my translations in the following posts! The first post will be the lexicon from the Introduction. I will exclude the exact texts as to not end up angering copyright gods.

Oh man, I don't know anyone here who actually would.

I support your project nonetheless. I am also shocked that Koreans play Pen and Paper RPG's. I thought they just hooked MMORPG's up to their brains.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Can't help much, as I don't speak Korean nor any other helpful language in this matter. I just wanna say that, as a Brazilian ST whose majority of players don't speak English, I feel your pain quite a bit.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
        Oh man, I don't know anyone here who actually would.

I support your project nonetheless. I am also shocked that Koreans play Pen and Paper RPG's. I thought they just hooked MMORPG's up to their brains.
        There are some popular RPGs in Korea, though I think less than in Japan.

Here in China I'm not sure there are any.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Since this post is longer than I had anticipated, I'll split this up to two (or three?) parts!

Age of Sorrows - 비탄의 시대 / 非嘆의 詩代
          This is pretty literal. If I were to analyze the translation, it would mean something along the lines of "Time-Represetation (era) of Sorrow and Mourning".

Anathema - 용적귀 / 龍敵鬼
          I tried to be a bit creative here, since Korean doesn't really have a native word for "anathema" - the best that the dictionary has means "an excommunicated person". I had to invent a word - it literally means "Dragon-Enemy-Monster". I think it suits what anathemas are to the Immaculate Order.

Anima - 신혼 / 神魂
          Again, an invention. I could have just gone for 아니마 but I followed Goal #2 here. The translation literally means "God-Soul". But since all living creature seems to have an anima... I'm not sure if this is the best translation I can come up with.

Artifact - 보패 / 寶貝
          "Treasure-Shell". This is a funny word. It shows up often in Korean translation of Chinese classics, particularly the Investiture of the Gods. In it, 보패 are legendary tools of the xian capable of miracles and such. It's also the etymological root of the modern Korean word for treasure.

Aspect - 영면 / 靈面
          "Numinous Aspect". That 면 isn't exactly "Aspect" but it's rather one of those hard-to-translate-to-English words. I used it because FATE's Aspect is translated using that character. Might not be the best reason I guess.

Blessed Isle - 용길도 / 龍吉島
          This... will have a different name depending on the era. I guess. This means "Dragon-Auspicious-Isle", because just 길도 sounds really dumb. In the Time Before, this place would have been 신길도 / 神吉島, in the First Age, this place would have been 웅길도 / 雄吉島. "God-Auspicious-Isle" and "Hero-Auspicious-Isle", respectively.

Caste - 카스트
          Laziness here. It's a Korean transliteration for the Indian caste.

Caste Mark - 카스트 마크
          Ditto.

Celestial Exalted - 천웅 / 天雄
          "Hero of Heaven", "Sky-Hero", etc. Fun fact: the Korean word for "hero" literally means "Glorious Male". I looked up whether I could use "Glorious Female" but apparently the female counterpart of 웅 has connotations and defeat and submission. Korean is literally a shitlord language. D=

Charm - 술법 / 術法
          This was extremely difficult. In the end, I went for "Technique-Method" since it's a semi-commonly used word in genre fiction. It implies things along the line of magical trickery, technique trained to the level of supernatural power, esoteric methods, etc. I explicitly tried to avoid direct references to magic for this translation, in order to contrast with sorcery, necromancy, astrology, etc.

Alternative consideration was 묘술 / 妙術, meaning "Uncanny Technique". That 묘 has meanings along the line of charming, attractive, etc. I thought it could work as a double-translation, but I thought it was too laden with implications.

Circle - 결의 / 結意
          I would not be surprised if I'm crucified over this. This literally means "Oath of Will". I got this word from the famous oath of brotherhood at the peach orchard from the Romance of Three Kingdoms.

Creation - 만물 / 萬物
          Again, another cause for crucifixion. This word literally means "Ten Thousand Things" and is used nowadays to mean "Entirety". I still want to sneak in the idea that Creation is a created thing, but this has been rather difficult.

Cult of the Illuminated - 명명교 / 明名敎
          "Teaching of Bright Names". I have to admit that I got the idea for this translation from the extremely infamous Korean cult of 백백교, which was rather... murderous. But thing-thing-teaching is a rather cult-sounding name in Korean.

Daiklave - 다이클레이브
          Does anyone know where the word "klave/klaive" comes from?

Deathlord - 명왕 / 冥王
          This literally means "Doom King" and comes from the Korean name for Pluto (both the god and the planet). This is actually one of the first translations I had in mind. One fun thing about this translation is that it's homonymous with Vidyaraja, or Wisdom Kings, or fierce violent gods of Buddhism.

Demesnes - 영지 / 靈地
          "Numinous Ground". I'm using the word 영 to mean Essence, so in other words this translation means "Essence Place". Also, 영지 written in different characters is often used to denote the territory one has lordship over.

Demon - 마귀 / 魔鬼
          "Demon-Monster". Or amusingly "demon-demon". This is a rather common word, so I didn't have much problem with it... besides the inherent reference to the Buddhist god Mara. And there's Mara in Hell, who is a demon. And demons are named after Mara. So this is kinda meta I guess I dunno.

Dynast - 용군 / 龍君
          I avoided the closest Korean translation for the apparently-invented word "Dynast" and made up my own word, meaning "Dragon Lord".

Elemental - 원소령 / 元素靈
          "Fundamental-Stuff-Spirit". 원소 is a Korean word meaning (both scientific and mystical) element.

Elemental Pole - 원극 / 元極
          "Fundamental Extreme". I wanted to shove in a reference to Taiji/Wuji somewhere, but I couldn't pull off much. So it ended up being a pretty literal translation.

Essence - 영기 / 靈氣
          "Numinous Energy" or "Spirit Qi" or whatever. This does not capture the essential (hurr) meaning of the English word "essence". Might need an improvement before I use this translation everywhere and I get too lazy to fix it all.

Evocation - 각술 / 覺術
          This desperately needs an improvement. At the moment it means "Awakening Technique". I think this translation is crap and I am a crap translator for having come up with it. Everything is crap. Gah.

Exalted - 성웅 / 聖雄
          Fun part! This means "Sacred Hero", or "Sacred Male" if you really get into the etymology, but the male-specific meaning is not as often used anymore in modern Korean. In a way this is a portmanteau of the words 성인 (a saint) and 영웅 (a hero). Some people pointed out that these words imply moral goodness too explicitly.

o Abyssal Exalted - 멸천명웅 / 滅天冥雄
          Oh boy, I had the most fun with this translation. It literally says "Heaven-Destroying Doom Hero". The connotation that Abyssals destroy Heaven might be a bit mismatched with Exalted, but 멸천 is an oft-used term in wuxia fiction, meaning one who is omnicidal. 명 here is a direct reference to Deathlords / 명왕.

o Exigent - 만신영웅 / 萬神靈雄
          "Ten Thousand Gods' Spirit Hero". Or rather "Demigods of the Pantheon". This moniker is closer to the translated names for the Exalted than just "Exigent", but eh. An alternative moniker is 영급신인, meaning "Divine Exigence God-Person".

o Liminal Exalted - 사문역웅 / 死門閾雄
          "Death-Gate Limen Hero". I might be really reaching with 역 here since it's an extremely rare word as far as I know. The only modern instance I've seen comes from cognitive psychological experiements about just noticeable differences. But the reason I like 역 here is because it refers I Ching a little and the cycle of life and death seems to be a thing about the Liminal Exalted.

o Lunar Exalted - 대월성웅 / 大月聖雄
          "Great Moon Sacred Hero". Not much to add here, besides the fact that 대 is a slightly diminutive equivalent to 태, which is included in the Korean word for the sun. But 대 is still superlative.

o Sidereal Exalted - 오성성웅 / 五星聖雄
          "Five Star Sacred Hero". Again, I think this is a pretty straightforward translation.

o Solar Exalted - 태양성웅 /太陽聖雄
          "Supreme Yang Sacred Hero" or "Sun Exalt". 태양 is a common word for the sun, but I am somewhat reluctant. I think it's too direct a reference to the Taoist yin-yang theory. D: But then again, the only alternative that comes to my mind is 대일, or "Great Sun", but that's a part of the Korean name for Vairocana.

o Dragon-Blooded - 용혈성웅 / 龍血聖雄
          "Dragon-Blood Sacred Hero". A translation as boring as the Dragon-Blooded themselves (hurr hurr (please don't hurt me))

Comment

Part 2 of the Lexicon!

Exigence - 영급제 / 靈急第
            Tried to be clever here. It means "Spirit Emergence Rite" or something like that. Not much to say about this besides that I have no idea why the devs chose "exigence".

Fair Folk - 요정 / 妖精
            This translation is dangerous. It means "Wicked Entity" or something along that line, but it's also a common word for Disney-esque fairies. I could -really- reach and say 도깨비, which is the name for the otherfolk-equivalent in Korea, but... I'm really reluctant to do that.

First Age - 제1시대
            Literally "the First Age". BORING.

Five Elemental Dragons - 오원룡 / 五元龍
            "Five Fundamental Dragons". Another far more ostentatious translation I thought up is 오옥원소룡, "Foundation-Stuff Dragons of Five Jades".

Five Maidens - 오성녀 / 五星女
            "Five Stars Women". Their individual names wrecked me, because the Korean names for the planets are actually named after the classical elements. In the end, I chose to go with Latin transliterations. I AM VERY UNHAPPY ABOUT THIS.

Gaia - 가이아
            It's a transliteration. I am a terrible translator.

Ghost - 유령 / 幽靈
            I could write a book about the word 유 here. I'm not even kidding. It's one of the most information-dense words I know. But the point is that this is a common word for, well, ghosts.

God - 신령 / 神靈
            "Divine Spirit". Another common word. This is opposed to just 신, which is a sorta irreligious word for God. The translations for God is a hotly debated topic in translation studies here.

Great Contagion - 대역병 / 大疫病
            "Great Contagious Disease". Not much to say here either.

Great House - 대가문 / 大家門
            "Great Family-Gate" or rather "Great House". Um. Yeah.

Guild - 거상협회 / 巨商協會
            I was a bit creative here. It literally means "Cooperative Collective of Great Merchants" or "Merchant Prince Guild". Translating "The (Whatever)" is difficult, since that usually ends up sounding really dumb. Therefore I added a bit of detail that was not present in the source text.

Hearthstone - 보주 / 寶珠
            "Treasure Jewel". This is a roundabout reference to Cintamani, or the As-One-Wishes Jewel, or the Miracle Orb. It is a legendary gemstone that is capable of omnipotence. In native Korean mythology, dragons possess a cintamani, so that reinforces the idea of dragon-lines, too. I'm clever.

Immaculate Order - 정결도 / 淨潔道
            "Path of Clean Purity". One could argue whether "path" and "order" are equivalent, but it is most likely that I will be the ST in the situation.

Incarna - 천존 / 天尊
            "Highest of Heaven" or "Celestial Personage". This is lifted directly from the Taoist pantheon.

Luna - 대월천존 루나 / 大月天尊 루나
            "Luna the Celestial Personage of Great Moon". I decided to keep the Latin names for some gods.

Magical Materials - 영료 / 靈料
            "Numinous Material". This might change.

Malfeas - 말페아스
            A peculiar translation, I gotta say. If I backtrack this word to "malfeasance" I could come up with a Korean name for it, but two things get in the way: 1) I am not 100% sure what was really intended with "malfeas"; and 2) 말페아스 sounds exotic as hell. =D

Manse - 풍수관 / 風水館
            "Mansion of Wind and Water" or "Fengshui Mansion". I brought this up to a wuxia writer and he mentioned that 관 here seems to imply a gathering of people, as well. So this could end up feeling like "a school of geomancers". Considering that, I may need to come up with an alternative translation.

Neverborn - 시체거신 / 屍體巨神
            This was troubling. This is literally "Carcass-Body Great-God" or "Corpse-Titan". This does not catch what's implied with "never-born" at all. I tried to look up what W:tO players called the Neverborn and they just say 네버본... which is a Korean transliteration. ==; I considered 비탄자 / 非誕者 which means "Unborn One" but could also mean "Dolorous One". That feels neat, but it doesn't really sound... profound.

Continuing to Part 3!

Comment

I speak no Korean whatsoever, but!

'Dynast', as a singular, actually is an established, if rare word. And of course the collective form, 'dynasty', is the standard one for a family holding power over the course of generations, in particular royal lines.

Google helps!

Or, more authoritatively, Merriam-Webster.

...Actually, I just had a thought. A lot of things, both historically and in the game, have more than one common name. If you're stuck between two translations - use both, at different times or in different circumstances. Like, 'Corpse-Titan' would be the common usage for an outsider who was aware of the Neverborn as supreme power behind the Deathlords, while an Abyssal would use 'Unborn One'.
              Last edited by Valles; 11-16-2015, 01:07 AM.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Part 3 of the lexicon.

Old Realm - 구제국 / 舊帝國
                "Old Sovereign State". It was hard to find a word with a similar feel to "realm", so I went for generic "empire".

Scarlet Dynasty - 진홍황조 / 眞紅皇朝
                "Imperial Dynasty of True Red". 황조 is not really a word that exists in Korean.

Scarlet Empress - 진홍여제 / 眞紅女帝
                "True Red She-Sovereign". It's neat that the commonly used Korean translation for "scarlet" means "true red". I imagine the Scarlet Empress banning the use of 255,0,0.

Scavenger Lands - 넝마벌
                This translation isn't mine. This one was one of the most difficult. I considered stuff like 구더기나라 or 저국 but they were all.. uncouth. 넝마벌 is a portmanteau of 넝마주이 which was the name for trash collectors and 벌, a native/old Korean word meaning "plains".

Second Age - 제2시대
                You guessed it, "The Second Age".

Second Breath - 득신 / 得神
                "Attainment of Divinity". I took this from the common Korean word 득도, meaning to have understood the Tao. It's a point of critical understanding and empowerment, a point after which one becomes one of the xian.

Shadowland - 넋굴
                A native Korean portmanteau that is... extremely hard to translate literally back to English. This one isn't mine either. I could translate it as "Soul-Gate". It's based off of the Korean word for "face", which etymologically means "gate of the heart" since the face expresses and perceives emotions.

Shogunate - 막부시대 / 幕府時代
                "Age of War Tents". It's the accepted Korean name for the Shogunate era of Japanese history.

Sorcery - 마술 / 魔術
                "Magic Technique". This is perhaps one of the most charged translations in the entire project. As I mentioned above, 마 has connotations of demonic nature, especially the Buddhist demon Mara. Now, in previous editions it was implied that it was demon Mara who taught Brigid sorcery. Unfortunately though, in common usage the word 마술 is used mostly for stage magic.

Spirit - 정령 / 精靈
                "Essence Spirit". It's a common word for the most generic category of spiritual entities.

Terrestrial Exalted - 지웅 / 地雄
                "Heroes of Earth". Now, in Korean "Earth" is more chthonic than terrestrial. Usually the ostentatious word for between earth and heaven is 천하 / 天下, which means "below sky". But if I were to use this, it breaks the even-syllable repetition I'm going for. ;_;

Threshold - 변방 / 邊方
                "Outer Regions". It was hard to keep the "threshold" meaning of... uh, the Threshold. If I get a better idea, I might change this.

Time Before - 한 때
                "Once Upon a Time", sorta.

Unconquered Sun - 불패자 태양천존
                "Celestial Personage of the Supreme Yang, the Undefeated" where "supreme yang" means "the sun". I'm not sure if we will ever see the monker Sol Invictus, so I'm not using the Latin name for this guy.

Underworld - 저승
                A native Korean word for the world of the dead. It -could- mean "the beyond place".

Usurpation - 대반란 / 大反亂
                "The Great Rebellion". It lost the connotation of rulership being stolen. =/

Wyld - 와일드
                Considering that "Wyld" seems to be a WW's neologism, I feel justified in transliterating it.

Wyld Hunt - 와일드 사냥단
                "Hunting Party of the Wyld". Not much to say about this.

Yozi - 마왕 / 魔王
                "Demon King". 마왕 is a popular enemy of adventuring heroes in East Asian genre fiction. I'm actually a bit afraid of this coming off as a bit comical.

...and that's it for the lexicon.

If you've got the time to spare, please do review these translation notes and see if anything stands out at you. =D

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
                  I am also shocked that Koreans play Pen and Paper RPG's. I thought they just hooked MMORPG's up to their brains.
                  There are like 7 of us here!

Just kidding. I think there are about a few to several thousands of active gamers in this country. The largest Internet RPG community counts about 12k people as members, though the vast majority are inactive.

Valles - Thanks for pointing that out! I'll check dynast again. Though, I kinda like Dragon-Lord.

And the matter of using different names is a little tricky, since that might require the translation to create setting distinctions that are not present in the original text. I fear that this might beyond the jurisdiction of the translator...

Comment

'It sounds good' is totally legitimate reason to keep a translation. *nods firmly*

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Some random stuff:

Five Maidens, Gaia and Luna - While it's hard to use the planets, are there any Taoist deities or beings who might be able to belifted and used in context you think? Maybe just kind of putting a note that htey fit? Or yout hink the transliterated words iwll work fine? Gaia especially is interesting I think because I'm surprised she doesn't just have a Korean equivlanat.

Abyssal Exatled - I think this one might do better as something more in line with ideas of darkness, shadow, void or yin. THey might still have death powers, but as I gather it's still the shadow theme as what's big on their name.

Exigent and Exigence - The terms were used because the fluff talks on how they're used for great need and stuff. Exigence means "an urgent need or demand". So it's a strong request or prayer, in a sense.

Anima - Soul Light or something similar seems to me a good a translation as any.

Yozi - They're called Demon Princes in the fluff, so Demon King is not a bad title. I would think though of just transliterating it and using Demon King as a secondary term, as the word is made-up one from one of Exalted's sources.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                      Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

I can really only make hanja and non-Korean word origin suggestions.

Originally posted by szp View Post

Anathema - 용적귀 / 龍敵鬼
                        I tried to be a bit creative here, since Korean doesn't really have a native word for "anathema" - the best that the dictionary has means "an excommunicated person". I had to invent a word - it literally means "Dragon-Enemy-Monster". I think it suits what anathemas are to the Immaculate Order.
                        Anathema can be read as "a thing that was sacred and is now profane/evil/unclean", as it used to refer to something set aside for the gods but then became abhorrent. It's a synonym of accursed, so "accursed people" might be the starting point for concept translation.

Anima - 신혼 / 神魂
                        Again, an invention. I could have just gone for 아니마 but I followed Goal #2 here. The translation literally means "God-Soul". But since all living creature seems to have an anima... I'm not sure if this is the best translation I can come up with.
                        If you're going by the original meaning of the word anima, it would be something akin to 神氣, as it means "air/animating spark of life" and has mind-related connotations. Alternately, the translation of aura that Wiktionary uses is 靈氣.

Celestial Exalted - 천웅 / 天雄
                        "Hero of Heaven", "Sky-Hero", etc. Fun fact: the Korean word for "hero" literally means "Glorious Male". I looked up whether I could use "Glorious Female" but apparently the female counterpart of 웅 has connotations and defeat and submission. Korean is literally a shitlord language. D=
                        I'm not usually sure about how to render Exalted, since while it's probably going to sound weird, it technically does in English, too. Reminds me of funny stories some of the original designers had in response to getting messages from "GCG, Exalted Developer".

Charm - 술법 / 術法
                        This was extremely difficult. In the end, I went for "Technique-Method" since it's a semi-commonly used word in genre fiction. It implies things along the line of magical trickery, technique trained to the level of supernatural power, esoteric methods, etc. I explicitly tried to avoid direct references to magic for this translation, in order to contrast with sorcery, necromancy, astrology, etc.

Alternative consideration was 묘술 / 妙術, meaning "Uncanny Technique". That 묘 has meanings along the line of charming, attractive, etc. I thought it could work as a double-translation, but I thought it was too laden with implications.
                        The meaning they have from English is "magical powers", apparently taken for a term for incantations.

Circle - 결의 / 結意
                        I would not be surprised if I'm crucified over this. This literally means "Oath of Will". I got this word from the famous oath of brotherhood at the peach orchard from the Romance of Three Kingdoms.
                        That could get complicated, because Sworn Brotherhoods also exist in Exalted as something verbally distinct from the gatherings of Solars. In past editions, this was even supported with a spell to further empower and unite a Sworn Brotherhood.

Daiklave - 다이클레이브
                        Does anyone know where the word "klave/klaive" comes from?
                        Gaelic and Welsh. It literally means sword. I'd keep it the same and just transliterate it, since it's already a combination of a cognate for "great" in Japanese and a Celtic word for "sword".

Deathlord - 명왕 / 冥王
                        This literally means "Doom King" and comes from the Korean name for Pluto (both the god and the planet). This is actually one of the first translations I had in mind. One fun thing about this translation is that it's homonymous with Vidyaraja, or Wisdom Kings, or fierce violent gods of Buddhism.
                        The Underworld is a tad bit on the 'European Gothic" side thematically and aesthetically, though.

Demon - 마귀 / 魔鬼
                        "Demon-Monster". Or amusingly "demon-demon". This is a rather common word, so I didn't have much problem with it... besides the inherent reference to the Buddhist god Mara. And there's Mara in Hell, who is a demon. And demons are named after Mara. So this is kinda meta I guess I dunno.
                        On the other hand, the character to the right of demon/magical originally had something to do with ghosts, which are actually pretty far from demons in Exalted.

Dynast - 용군 / 龍君
                        I avoided the closest Korean translation for the apparently-invented word "Dynast" and made up my own word, meaning "Dragon Lord".
                        It's not invented. At least, not by Exalted.

Elemental Pole - 원극 / 元極
                        "Fundamental Extreme". I wanted to shove in a reference to Taiji/Wuji somewhere, but I couldn't pull off much. So it ended up being a pretty literal translation.
                        Daoism has a weird relationship with Exalted. On one hand, it uses Wood as an element. On the other hand, the only Exalted who are principally going to be strongly Daoist are the Getimians.

Essence - 영기 / 靈氣
                        "Numinous Energy" or "Spirit Qi" or whatever. This does not capture the essential (hurr) meaning of the English word "essence". Might need an improvement before I use this translation everywhere and I get too lazy to fix it all.
                        I've considered using different terms from traditional Chinese medicine as translations for permanent Essence (jing), peripheral Essence (qi) and personal Essence (shen). Maybe there's something there, maybe not.

Evocation - 각술 / 覺術
                        This desperately needs an improvement. At the moment it means "Awakening Technique". I think this translation is crap and I am a crap translator for having come up with it. Everything is crap. Gah.
                        Is there something about calling out

Exalted - 성웅 / 聖雄
                        Fun part! This means "Sacred Hero", or "Sacred Male" if you really get into the etymology, but the male-specific meaning is not as often used anymore in modern Korean. In a way this is a portmanteau of the words 성인 (a saint) and 영웅 (a hero). Some people pointed out that these words imply moral goodness too explicitly.
                        That's why it might be a good idea to use words that imply that they're just people who received PROMOTIONS!

o Abyssal Exalted - 멸천명웅 / 滅天冥雄
                        Oh boy, I had the most fun with this translation. It literally says "Heaven-Destroying Doom Hero". The connotation that Abyssals destroy Heaven might be a bit mismatched with Exalted, but 멸천 is an oft-used term in wuxia fiction, meaning one who is omnicidal. 명 here is a direct reference to Deathlords / 명왕.
                        But Abyssals aren't supposed to be omnicidal anymore.

o Exigent - 만신영웅 / 萬神靈雄
                        "Ten Thousand Gods' Spirit Hero". Or rather "Demigods of the Pantheon". This moniker is closer to the translated names for the Exalted than just "Exigent", but eh. An alternative moniker is 영급신인, meaning "Divine Exigence God-Person".

o Liminal Exalted - 사문역웅 / 死門閾雄
                        "Death-Gate Limen Hero". I might be really reaching with 역 here since it's an extremely rare word as far as I know. The only modern instance I've seen comes from cognitive psychological experiements about just noticeable differences. But the reason I like 역 here is because it refers I Ching a little and the cycle of life and death seems to be a thing about the Liminal Exalted.
                        Another possibility, framing them as the living dead Exalted (they explicitly are undead).

o Lunar Exalted - 대월성웅 / 大月聖雄
                        "Great Moon Sacred Hero". Not much to add here, besides the fact that 대 is a slightly diminutive equivalent to 태, which is included in the Korean word for the sun. But 대 is still superlative.

o Sidereal Exalted - 오성성웅 / 五星聖雄
                        "Five Star Sacred Hero". Again, I think this is a pretty straightforward translation.

o Solar Exalted - 태양성웅 /太陽聖雄
                        "Supreme Yang Sacred Hero" or "Sun Exalt". 태양 is a common word for the sun, but I am somewhat reluctant. I think it's too direct a reference to the Taoist yin-yang theory. D: But then again, the only alternative that comes to my mind is 대일, or "Great Sun", but that's a part of the Korean name for Vairocana.

o Dragon-Blooded - 용혈성웅 / 龍血聖雄
                        "Dragon-Blood Sacred Hero". A translation as boring as the Dragon-Blooded themselves (hurr hurr (please don't hurt me))
                        It wouldn't use the great yang cognate for Solars; as noted, how much Daoism actually gets into Exalted is kind of questionable. You could also drop the superlatives from them, or the five qualifier for Sidereals, maybe.

Comment

Saur Ops Specialist - Thanks for the feedback! I have to run a game right now, but when I have time again I will definitely reconsider the points you brought up.

Comment

Although I don't speak Korean, this is pretty interesting from an etymological view, and I think many of your literal translations would fit Exalted concepts very well. I could definitely see myself introducing two rival religious movements called the Path of Supreme Purity and the Teaching of Bright Names, or have the PCs meet peasants who are fleeing from a Heaven-Destroying Doom Hero!

I myself live in "Place for fishing nets" which is the capital of Black Dragon River province. Asian translations make excellent Exalted names.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I'm also not a Korean speaker but I find linguistic exercises of this sort extremely goddamn cool. I daresay some of your transliterations so far actually exceed the original English terms in coolness to a degree.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Working...
                              X