Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Charms] The Virtues of the Ebon Dragon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merior
    started a topic [Charms] The Virtues of the Ebon Dragon?

[Charms] The Virtues of the Ebon Dragon?

After the Return of the Scarlet Empress came out I'd seen the Ebon Dragon Charms in it, pondered, then came up a few things based on my thoughts of how low Virtues could be turned into a benefit. Since we seem to be still waiting for Third Edition, and I never really showed them off, I dug around until I found some Charms I'd written based on that which people might find interesting.

Comments and suggestions would be eagerly appreciated.

(For those who might recognise these I posted a version of these a few years back on The Freedom Stone board. If you want confirmation that I'm not just stealing them then contact me there. The last Charm is new, but mangled since I can't seem to get it to come out properly, and I tried to tidy up the previous ones)

Hollow Mockery of (Virtue)
    Cost: —; Mins: Essence 2; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Witness to Darkness

In the emptiness of the Ebon Dragon's heart not a hint of virtue remains but, instead, hollow mockeries of those feelings dwell. This Charm may be purchased up to three times with each purchase applying to a Virtue rated at one or less which is not the character’s primary Virtue. The choice can’t be altered, but the Charm’s effects recede if the Infernal rating in the Virtue increased beyond one for whatever reason.

The Infernal treats any mental influence which would compel them to undertake actions which the chosen Virtue could normally aid as if it was an unacceptable order and may opt to automatically fail any roll based on the chosen Virtue. However if she desires to undertake actions in accord with the Virtue then she must spend one Willpower per scene to “enable” the Virtue.

The character may never channel the chosen Virtue nor expend associated channels. If spending Willpower to gain an automatic success on an action which runs contrary to the selected Virtue she instead adds [lower of Essence or permanent Willpower] dice to the roll. These dice are not considered to be from Charms and may be added to the calculation for a static value where appropriate.

In addition this Charm expresses other benefits when applied to specific Virtues.

Compassion: Twisted as he is the Ebon Dragon does care for others and how they feel. How could suffer further if they did not exist? The Exalt may also select up to her permanent Essence in Intimacies with negative emotional context which she possesses. The chosen Intimacies do not count against the normal limit on how many may be retained and if lost, or their context changed, reassert themselves at the end of the day. The Intimacies protected may be changed at that time if the character wishes.

For purposes of this Charm, actions taken to foist consequences of actions onto others, to directly inflict pain or suffering (excluding normal damage), or to steal are considered contrary to Compassion.

Conviction: As the ficklest of all beings the Shadow of All Things can not be held to anything... not even his own opinions. At the end of day the Exalt may purge any number of intimacies he possesses and may gain a single Intimacy of his own choice with a negative context. She may add (Essence+permanent Willpower) in automatic successes in a roll-off against effects which would force her to retain an Intimacy.

In addition, the character may roll her Essence rather than Conviction upon waking to recover temporary Willpower so long as she did not enable this Virtue within the past day.

Temperance: The Ebon Dragon is the pinnacle of self-indulgence and glories in excess, yet is also a paragon of self-interest. He reduces any penalties from each form of indulgence or excess by his Essence and never becomes addicted to anything of lesser strength than the Games of Divinity.

Actions to determine danger from a particular temptation or to resist an obviously dangerous indulgence are considered to act contrary to his Temperance for purpose of this Charm.

Valor: While a coward at heart the Ebon Dragon knows that his own prey are nothing to fear. The Exalt is immune to fear unless it is caused by an individual or group more powerful than himself (absent of other indications an individual would need to be of higher permanent Essence than the character).

Actions against beings with, or groups formed solely of individuals with, Essence 1 are always considered to act contrary to his Valor for the purpose of this Charm as are those taken against more powerful who are (even if temporarily) unable to resist.

Mocking the Soul
    Cost: —; Mins: Essence 4; Type: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Hollow Mockery of (Virtue) x3, Hollow Heart Transcendence

Immersed in darkness there comes a point where what passes for the Ebon Dragon's soul rebels against acting on the principles of good or Virtue. This Charm applies to the remaining Virtue unaffected by Hollow Mockery of (Virtue) and it is considered to be the appropriate version of that Charm for all purposes and with all associated benefits except as described here:
    • This Charm may apply to a primary Virtue. If so then the Exalt may not choose to automatically fail the appropriate Virtue roll when determining Limit gain.
    • When subjected to any mental influence which would make the Exalt act in accordance to his primary Virtue the character may spend one Willpower to treat it as an Impossible Order.
    In addition, the Exalt now regains one Willpower each day into the pool provided by Hollow Heart Transcendence for each Virtue she did not enable at any point within the past day.

Souless Void Within
    Cost: —; Mins: Essence 2; Type: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Any Hollow Mockery of <Virtue>

As the antithesis of Virtue the Ebon Dragon has, on occasion, been been battened upon by Rakasha curious enough to attempt to ravish him. In response he has done the worst thing that he could do: he let them. This Charm protects all Virtues for which the character possesses Hollow Mockery of <Virtue> and renders her immune to any effects which would alter their functioning or rating except through effects of his own Charms.

In addition, any being foolish enough to attempt to feed upon or consume a protected Virtue instead suffers a a Shaping effect which inflicts [the Exalt's Essence]L damage to which armor based soak does not apply. Those unfortunate enough to possess a track for Stability receive two points of such for every level of damage they take from this after all other effects are taken into account.

At Essence 4, the damage this Charm inflicts becomes levels of aggravated damage and the Exalt may treat it as a ranged attack for purposes of her Ebon Dragon Charms.

Glorious Moribund Fascination
    Cost: —; Mins: Essence 3; Type: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: First Ebon Dragon Excellency, Hollow Mockery of Compassion

It surprises many that the Ebon Dragon can show seemingly honest care for the doomed and the dying. Yet such people overlook how much the Yozi prizes seeing others lose in any and all ways.

This Charm alters how the Exalt may interact with those who are dying or progressing towards a fate which is as bad or worse than death. She does not suffer the penalty to Charisma from Witness to Darkness when interacting with the doomed and may add her Essence in automatic successes to rolls to recognise people or groups as such.

In addition, actions taken to benefit such individuals are considered to run contrary to Compassion by lack of efforts to save them. Similarly, unless the character would be sharing such a fate, then simply witnessing their unfortunate state is considered to be of greater benefit her more than whatever she does for such persons.

The effects of this Charm do not apply to actions the character undertakes which would avert what awaits such individuals.

More to (potentially) come if people turn out to be interested.

• Merior
    replied
    Originally posted by spigot View Post
    They're great!
    I'm glad to hear that you think that.

Originally posted by spigot View Post
    I think you should explain how the damage produced by the third Charm manifests itself, and I think the fourth Charm is very unclear - the third paragraph is especially hard to make sense of. The Charm would be much less fiddly if you just said the Exalt recognises on sight anyone who's dying or headed towards a fate worse than death. If you could explain what you're going for with the fourth Charm, that would be great.
    The idea behind the damage in "Souless Void Within" is that if you try consuming an empty hollow void where a Virtue should have been then Bad Things Happen. I'm not sure precisely how to phrase it but terms like "nothingness" come to mind.

The idea behind "Glorious Moribund Fascination" was to a) show how these twisted negations of Virtue can lead to other things and b) permit the Ebon Dragon to be wonderfully kind to (say) a terminally ill child while doing nothing at all to actually save the kid. To be able to appreciate, love, and be loved by dying lepers or prisoners waiting to be executed despite his lack of compassion. Because, on some level, whatever he does for them doesn't make it any better for them in the long run even if it leaves him looking good or lets him draw out a conflict.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• spigot
    replied
    They're great! I think you should explain how the damage produced by the third Charm manifests itself, and I think the fourth Charm is very unclear - the third paragraph is especially hard to make sense of. The Charm would be much less fiddly if you just said the Exalt recognises on sight anyone who's dying or headed towards a fate worse than death. If you could explain what you're going for with the fourth Charm, that would be great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X