Ex3 Dragon Kings homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex3 Dragon Kings homebrew

I wrote up rules for everyone's favourite dinosaur monsters. The document contains all 15 Paths, and should have everything you need to play a Dragon King, but I may have forgotten a few important things. I stuck fairly closely to porting over the old mechanics, but in some cases I've shifted things around and reworked Steps, either to make them fit better into the 3e environment or because I just felt it'd be cooler that way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Update: Now containing:
    - Mundane gear and artifacts
    - Dragon King martial arts
    - Rules for Olchiliké.
    Last edited by Lanaya; 12-11-2015, 05:13 PM.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell
    Simple Solar > Abyssal conversion rules
    3e Dragon Kings
    My martial arts

Originally posted by Lanaya View Post
    I wrote up rules for everyone's favourite dinosaur monsters.
    Beasts of Resplendent Liquids for Ex3?!?

(looks at title)

Oh.

Kidding of course. Good job.

Comment

I wrote up rules for everyone's favourite dinosaur monsters. The document contains all 15 Paths, and should have everything you need to play a Dragon King, but I may have forgotten a few important things. I stuck fairly closely to porting over the old mechanics, but in some cases I've shifted things around and reworked Steps, either to make them fit better into the 3e environment or because I just felt it'd be cooler that way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Your a godamn saint, you and sandact6 for his alchemical conversion. now both my players allies can be statted. A Godamn Saint.

Comment

This is an AMAZING write-up, I wasnt going to use Dragon Kings in my game but I am now, thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Beasts of Resplendent Liquids for Ex3?!?

(looks at title)

Oh.
          Well alright, we can do your favourite dinosaurs too.

Beast of Resplendent Liquid
          Essence: 1; Willpower: 2; Join Battle: 2 dice
          Health Levels: -0x10/-1x8/-2x6/-4x2/Incap.
          Speed Bonus: -2.
          Actions: Climbing: 4 dice; Feats of Strength: 12 dice (may attempt Strength 10 feats); Resist Poison/Disease: 14 dice (see Superlative Metabolism); Threaten: 7 dice
          Appearance 1, Resolve 2, Guile 1
          Combat
          Attack (Bite): 5 dice (Damage 20, minimum 3)
          Combat Movement: 2 dice
          Evasion 0, Parry 1
          Soak/Hardness: 14/8

Special Attacks
          Thundering Bellow: When starving or in serious danger of death (usually when it has taken damage to its -2 health levels), the beast of resplendent liquid lets out a tremendous cry of pain. Any character within short range of the beast suffers damage from an environmental hazard (damage 1B/minute, difficulty 3), and must make a difficulty 2 Stamina + Resistance roll at each interval or be permanently deafeaned. Characters outside short range but within four range bands must test for deafness every ten minutes, but do not take damage.

Merits
          Legendary Size: The beast of resplendent liquid’s size makes it extraordinarily difficult for human-scale enemies to engage it in combat. It does not take onslaught penalties from any attack made by a smaller opponent, although magically-inflicted onslaught penalties still apply against it. Withering attacks made by smaller enemies cannot drop it below 1 Initiative unless they have a post-soak damage of 10 dice (although attackers can still gain the full amount of Initiative damage dealt). Decisive attacks made by smaller enemies cannot deal more than (3 + attacker’s Strength) levels of damage to the beast of resplendent liquid with a single attack, not counting any levels of damage added by Charms or other magic.

Superlative Metabolism: Beasts of resplendent liquid resist poison and disease as though they were Exalted.

Resplendent Liquids: Though originally many different breeds of beast of resplendent liquid were created, in the Time of Tumult the majority are the ochre breed which synthesises immense quantities of heroin. This drug is considered a poison (damage 3i/round, no damage in crash, duration 5 hours, penalty -4, ingestion or inhalation). A wielder of a fine weapon such as a needle could also apply heroin through a damage vector. Exposure to heroin is addictive: whenever a character takes it, he must resist addiction, which is considered a disease (virulence 2, morbidity 4, interval: one month). Addiction is resisted with Wits + Integrity instead of Stamina + Resistance, cannot intensify at any interval unless the character was actively taking heroin during that time and never progresses to death. If the character takes heroin again his symptoms are temporarily nullified for 24 hours.
          Last edited by Lanaya; 02-03-2016, 04:04 AM.

3e Dragon Kings
          My martial arts

Comment

Remind me to rework the various Dragon King Martial Arts into something practical and not-boring. (Because some of them are really boring).
            In addition, Air Walking Style seems a bit underpowered. I'd make it reflexive, because otherwise, the Dragon King can literally do nothing each turn except walk on air.
            Last edited by While My Guitar; 12-07-2015, 04:42 PM.

I made some Martial Arts for 3e, look at them here and here.

Comment

Originally posted by While My Guitar View Post
              Remind me to rework the various Dragon King Martial Arts into something practical and not-boring. (Because some of them are really boring).
              I'm partway through doing that at the moment, I'll add them to the document when I'm done. But don't let that stop you, it'd be good to have multiple takes on them.

3e Dragon Kings
              My martial arts

Comment

Ankloks rejoice, for Flame and Stone Style is here. I typed up all the Dragon King MAs, but I'll be posting them one by one so I have time to properly look over each one instead of dumping a bunch of un-proofread drafts on you. I'll be adding them to the end of the google doc and also posting them here so you don't need to go through the whole thing to find them. I ended up changing them a lot more than I did the Paths, since the original MAs were kind of boring and crappy, but I think I kept close enough to the spirit of each one that they should be recognisable.

Flame and Stone Style

Flame and Stone Weapons: Flame and Stone stylists use unarmed attacks, especially tail strikes, as well as clubs, maces and shields. Any unarmed attack that is enhanced by a Flame and Stone Charm can always be stunted to deal lethal damage.
                Armour: Flame and Stone style may be practiced in any armour.

Greeting the Sun
                Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                Keywords: Terrestrial, Uniform
                Duration: Instant
                Prerequisite Charms: None
                The first lesson the Flame and Stone Stylist learns is how to master his immense strength, tempering it with skill and grace. This Charm supplements a smash attack, negating the associated Defence penalty. If the attack succeeds and he chooses to knock his target prone, he does so with such force that she suffers a penalty equal to his Strength on her first attempt to rise from prone.
                Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood inflicts a penalty to rise from prone of (lower of Essence or Strength), unless the supplemented attack was decisive.

Ending the Chase
                Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                Keywords: Mastery
                Prerequisite Charms: Greeting the Sun
                The martial artist charges at his foe, knocking her to the ground with his sheer bulk so she can evade him no longer. He makes a rush against his target, and if it succeeds and he moves into close range with her before the end of his next turn, she is knocked prone automatically.
                Mastery: If the rush succeeds, the martial artist completes his movement instantly instead of waiting for his target to move.

Fire Follows Smoke
                Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                Keywords: Decisive-only, Terrestrial
                Prerequisite Charms: Greeting the Sun
                The immense strength of the anklok can be difficult to wield against an agile opponent, but once he has her helpless he can unleash a truly mighty blow. This Charm enhances a decisive attack, converting up to (martial artist’s Strength) extra successes on the attack roll into raw damage.
                Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood can only use Fire Follows Smoke once per scene, unless reset by making a successful decisive attack (which can be the supplemented attack) and then building back to to 12+ Initiative.

Flame and Stone Form
                Cost: 8m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple
                Keywords: Form
                Duration: One scene
                Prerequisite Charms: Ending the Chase, Fire Follows Smoke
                The martial artist takes a firm and unmoving stance, promising a swift death to any foolish enough to stand and fight him. He can make smashing attacks at no Initiative cost, if he wields a weapon with the Shield tag he can flurry full defence and attack actions, and his withering attacks against prone enemies deal (Strength) bonus damage. Whenever he moves one or more range bands, these benefits are lost until his next turn.
                Special activation rules: When the martial artist makes a successful smash attack, he may reflexively activate Flame and Stone Form.

Sun and Stone Endures
                Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
                Keywords: Terrestrial, Mastery, Withering-only
                Duration: Until next turn
                Prerequisite Charms: Flame and Stone Form
                Though it must withstand the fierce heat of the sun for hours on end, the stone never cracks, and when its ordeal is over it remains whole. Emulating its endless resilience, the martial artist reduces the post-soak damage of each withering attack he suffers by his current onslaught penalty. If his onslaught penalty is lessened or negated by another Charm or similar effect, this damage reduction is likewise reduced or negated.
                Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood cannot reduce an attack’s damage below 1 die with this Charm.
                Mastery: The martial artist reduces the pre- and post-soak damage of each incoming attack by his onslaught penalty.

Unbroken Stone Stance
                Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
                Keywords: Decisive-only, Perilous
                Prerequisite Charms: Flame and Stone Form
                The martial artist endures any suffering without flinching. He reduces the raw damage of an incoming decisive attack by his Stamina, and temporarily converts any -2 or -4 health levels damaged by the attack into -1 health levels. They return to their normal state at the end of the scene.

Stone Ignites Flames
                Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Supplemental
                Keywords: Decisive-only, Mastery
                Prerequisite Charms: Sun and Stone Endures, Unbroken Stone Stance
                With his enemy helpless, the martial artist crushes her. Maimed and pathetic, she neither escape nor hope to fight back. This Charm supplements a decisive attack against a prone enemy. If it hits and deals 3+ levels of damage, the final damage dealt is reduced by 3, but the target’s legs are shattered. She cannot take movement actions until this crippling injury is healed, and doubles any wound penalties she suffers for the remainder of the scene.
                Mastery: Causing the crippling injury does not reduce the damage of the supplemented attack.

3e Dragon Kings
                My martial arts

Comment

They can't use crystal warclubs with Flame and Stone?

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                    They can't use crystal warclubs with Flame and Stone?
                    It uses clubs, so that would include crystal warclubs. You don't have to specify that you can use artifact versions of form weapons in 3e, thank goodness.

3e Dragon Kings
                    My martial arts

Comment

Well... sword-clubs, and warclubs in general, are not blunt sticks of wood. They have spikes and sharp blades, like maces but sharper. I don't know if they'd have the same stats as a mace in 3E (they aren't metal) but I wouldn't call them clubs.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

It uses clubs, so that would include crystal warclubs. You don't have to specify that you can use artifact versions of form weapons in 3e, thank goodness.
                        Of course, this is going to be highly confusing when one considers Eye of Heaven Style, which has, specifically, "orichalcum reaver daiklave" as a form weapon.

"From now on, instead of saying 'half-assed', I will use 'muled'. 'This is a muled job, Chris', I will say to my friend Chris. 'You need to do better, or your ass is grass. And not, like, metaphorical grass. There are weeds growing in there as we speak.'

"'The DEA is after you, man' I will tell him, in all seriousness."

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                          Well... sword-clubs, and warclubs in general, are not blunt sticks of wood. They have spikes and sharp blades, like maces but sharper. I don't know if they'd have the same stats as a mace in 3E (they aren't metal) but I wouldn't call them clubs.
                          Well, to remove the ambiguity I'll add my WIP panoply section to the document. The sword-clubs specify that they can be used with club-based martial arts. It also contains a few of the Dragon King artifacts, although the Fire Claw, Shock Gauntlet and Obsidian Sheath are going to wait because I'll be writing them up as individual artifacts with their own evocation trees.

Dragon King Panoply
                          Sword-Club: Mortal medium melee weapon. Tags: Lethal, Melee, Smashing. Sword-clubs are considered clubs for the purposes of martial arts and other effects that interact with specific weapon types.
                          Trident: Mortal medium melee weapon. Tags: Lethal, Melee, Grappling, Reaching, Thrown (short).
                          Bracer of Crystal Bolts: Artifact medium thrown weapon. Tags: Lethal, Thrown (Medium), Concealable. The crystal bolts fired from the bracer automatically return to it after striking their target.
                          Crystal Warclub: Artifact medium melee weapon. Tags: Lethal, Melee, Smashing.
                          Leaf Armour: Artifact light armour. Tags: Silent.

Necklace of Solar Charisma (Artifact •••)
                          This necklace of crystal and orichalcum grants the wearer a portion of the Unconquered Sun’s majesty and glory. He may add three dice to any Charisma- or Appearance-based social influence action he makes. In addition, nobody will ever consider his appearance to be odd or disturbing. Characters with the Hideous Merit lose that Merit while wearing the necklace, and wearers with an unusual or unnerving appearance, such as Dragon Kings, are seen by all as entirely normal. A character with a high or low Appearance score may be judged as attractive or ugly as normal, but nobody will judge or flee from the wearer because of his inhuman form. He will be considered no more or less noteworthy than a human of the same Appearance score. Attuning to this artifact costs four motes.

Originally posted by Khantalas View Post
                          Of course, this is going to be highly confusing when one considers Eye of Heaven Style, which has, specifically, "orichalcum reaver daiklave" as a form weapon.
                          Sadly I'm going to have to disappoint everyone by giving Eye of Heaven form weapons that aren't really dumb. You will still get style points for sticking to orichalcum artifact versions of its form weapons, though.

Also, Black Tide style is here:

Black Tide Style

Black Tide Weapons: Black Tide style may be practiced with unarmed attacks and tridents. Any unarmed attack that is enhanced by a Black Tide Charm can always be stunted to deal lethal damage.
                          Armour: Black Tide style may be practiced in up to medium armour.

Sheltering Seas Defence
                          Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
                          Keywords: Dual, Mastery
                          The martial artist flows with the tides of battle rather than trying to hold them back. She negates any onslaught penalties to her Evasion against one attack. If that attack is withering, she also increases her soak by the penalty she would have suffered.
                          Mastery: The martial artist negates all penalties she suffers to Evasion and converts them into soak.

Darting Barracuda Strike
                          Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                          Keywords: Decisive-only
                          When the martial artist strikes, she does so suddenly and without warning. This Charm enhances a Stealth roll, granting double 9s if the martial artist is underwater. Additionally, if she breaks stealth by making a decisive unexpected attack she may attack any target within medium range, charging into close range and striking in the blink of an eye. This counts as her movement action.

Surging Siaka Technique
                          Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
                          Keywords: Terrestrial
                          The first lesson any predator learns is to isolate her prey from his allies. When she successfully grapples an enemy and wins the control roll, she may immediately move one range band, dragging him with her. If she ends this movement within a body of water, she may move another range band directly down.
                          Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood must expend two rounds of control to use this Charm.

Black Tide Form
                          Cost: 9m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple
                          Keywords: Form
                          Duration: One scene
                          Prerequisite Charms: Sheltering Seas Defence, Darting Barracuda Strike, Tide Runs Out
                          The martial artist performs a complex, flowing kata to tap into the Essence of water. This Charm’s effects depend on whether she is currently underwater or on land, and will shift from one mode to the other if she moves from one to the other.
                          While on land, the air around the martial artist shimmers and becomes water. This effect reaches out to approximately two feet around her body, and follows her as she moves. Any enemy grappled by the martial artist will begin to drown unless he can breathe underwater. This Charm gives the martial artist herself no ability to breathe underwater, so she will also drown unless she has other means of doing so. The veil of water also robs projectiles of their momentum, subtracting one success from all ranged attack rolls against the martial artist.
                          While underwater, the martial artist gains control over the tides, using them to control and isolate her foes while speeding her own movements. She gains (Essence) bonus dice on all rolls to rush, disengage and oppose disengages, and whenever another character attempts to move into close range of her, she may attempt to repel him. He and the martial artist make opposed Dexterity + Athletics rolls, and if the martial artist wins he remains at short range. The character she attempts to repel may enhance his roll with any Charms or other effects that enhance rushes.
                          Special activation rules: When the martial artist makes a successful unexpected attack, she may reflexively activate Black Tide Form.

Sun-Kissed Mirror Dodge
                          Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
                          Keywords: Mastery, Perilous, Uniform
                          Prerequisite Charms: Black Tide Form
                          As her foe strikes at the martial artist, her image shatters and displaces, reflected countless times around her true location. She makes a reflexive Dexterity + Stealth roll, opposed by the attacker’s Perception + Awareness. If the martial artist wins, she conceals her true location and tricks her foe into striking only air or water, causing the attack to miss automatically. Sun-Kissed Mirror Dodge can only be used once per scene.
                          Mastery: Sun-Kissed Mirror Dodge is reset if the martial artist incapacitates an opponent and then successfully re-establishes surprise.

Rising Siaka Technique
                          Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
                          Keywords: Counterattack, Decisive-only, Terrestrial
                          Prerequisite Charms: Sun-Kissed Mirror Dodge
                          After successfully defending against an attack with this Charm’s prerequisite, the martial artist surges forth from what he thought was a fake image of her. She makes an immediate grapple attack, which is considered an ambush.
                          Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood must activate this Charm on her next turn after activating Sun-Kissed Mirror Dodge, allowing her to spend her action making the grapple attack rather than making it reflexively.

Primal Hunter Attitude
                          Cost: - (+4m, 1wp); Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
                          Keywords: None
                          Duration: Permanent
                          Prerequisite Charms: Rising Siaka Technique
                          When she activates Black Tide Form, the martial artist may pay an additional four motes, one Willpower to become the ultimate aquatic predator. The water surrounding her rushes with vicious force, pummelling anyone she grapples. This is considered an environmental hazard (damage 2B/round, difficulty 4). Whenever a drowning character takes damage from it, the air is knocked from his lungs, progressing the process of drowning by one round. This water is also stripped of any life-giving qualities, making it impossible for anyone except the martial artist to breathe it. Consequently, even water-breathing characters will drown while in the martial artist’s grasp, though characters with no need for air at all will still be unaffected.
                          Finally, the martial artist revels in her enemies’ pitiful attempts to harm her. If she is struck by an attack that deals no final damage while in control of a grapple, she gains one round of control instead of losing one.
                          Last edited by Lanaya; 12-10-2015, 02:46 AM.

3e Dragon Kings
                          My martial arts

Comment

Thanks for posting those items.

I don't agree that sword-clubs/warclubs should be considered clubs for MA purposes, they're quite different. Consider that a macauitl (sword with a blade of super-sharp obsidian instead of comparatively dull metal) is a type of sword-club. A macauitl is most similar to a sword, a wooden warclub to a mace, a crystal warclub to an axe. Maybe the definition of a standard club has changed for 3E, but in 2E IIRC (not checking my book ATM) it's basically an unadorned, blunt, wooden stick, like a baseball bat.

I guess you have to specify that they're equivalent to something, since a lot of human cultures probably use warclubs and yet MAs probably don't tend to mention them... then again maybe it's just that some warclub-friendly MAs need to be written, or that cultures that use MA don't tend to use warclubs for some reason. In any case I'd equate warclubs with maces, not clubs (though I'd also prefer the game to categorize macauitl(s?) as swords instead of warclubs).
                            Last edited by Erinys; 12-09-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Ah, hmm. I'd been going off the name and the illustration in the Scroll of Fallen Races, which seemed to me to be a regular club with some sharp bits stuck to it. If it is meant to be a macuahuitl then it's definitely not a club. That said, if it's a macuahuitl then it shouldn't be compatible with my version of Flame and Stone, since it's heavily based around the smashing tag and a macuahuitl would just be a fancy-looking chopping sword.

3e Dragon Kings
                              My martial arts

Comment

Working...
                              X