[Ex3] Sidereal Update Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you like it.

Resplendent Effects should come over the next week or so I suspect. The building process is there already though, so you can make them. You just have no way to spend your Endurance (Which I guess if half the point of having a resplendent destiny :P). Also been having a bit of a read through the effects this afternoon trying to get ideas for power level and how much a single endurance is worth (compared to essence/willpower).

The problem is I keep getting distracted by things like interesting looking SMAs or possible new charms to add in. It's proving difficult to keep my focus on the essentials, which is part of the reason this wasn't released earlier in the week.

My attempt at a Sidereal 3e Homebrew

Comment

Are colleges and auspicious abilities and how they connect every explained in the doc? I cant seem to track them down. Also the caste must buy ability dots. Are those given or do they come from your 14 at character creation?

Exalted: Princes of the Universe
      A Third Edition Exalted Podcast
      http://atrusilk.podbean.com/

Comment

The colleges/auspicious abilities/astrological houses interplay hasn't been written out yet as I'm not sure where it should go, or whether I'm going stick with the distribution of colleges as they exist currently. For the ability dots it's supposed to read that you get the 6 dots for 'caste' abilities in addition to the 14 you have free reign over. I'll check it and re-write it to make it clearer, probably when I get back after the weekend.

Comment

I think it'd be a good idea to make all Sidereal combat Charms cross-applicable with Martial Arts that use the same weapons. It'd solidify the sense of them being the "martial artist Exalted" and it'd make it less of a feel-bad moment when you reach the end of the Melee tree. Switching to a new combat ability is a lot more pleasant if you can keep using your old Charms.

Also, I'm not so sure about some of those Caste Abilities. I think another combat ability would suit Battles better than Lore. And I dunno about the thematics of the Thrown, Presence, and Bureaucracy Charms in Secrets, Serenity, and Journeys.

I think Sidereals might actually work best with rigid Caste abilities. They've got structured powers and well-defined colleges, after all.

But if you really want a 5-of-7 setup, how about

Journeys: Athletics, Dodge, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Survival & Thrown.
          Serenity: Craft, Dodge, Linguistics, Medicine, Performance, Presence & Socialize
          Battles: Archery, Athletics, Brawl, Melee, Presence, Resistance & War
          Secrets: Integrity, Investigation, Larceny, Lore, Occult, Stealth & Thrown
          Endings: Awareness, Brawl, Bureaucracy, Integrity, Medicine, Occult & Stealth

Dodge for Journeys because it's all about being somewhere else. Neighbourhood Relocation Scheme is super-Journeys. Brawl for battles because, well, it's a combat Charmset. And I couldn't think of anything to replace Presence with in Serenity.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

Sanctaphrax is not a person
          -Chejop Kejak

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
            I think it'd be a good idea to make all Sidereal combat Charms cross-applicable with Martial Arts that use the same weapons. It'd solidify the sense of them being the "martial artist Exalted" and it'd make it less of a feel-bad moment when you reach the end of the Melee tree. Switching to a new combat ability is a lot more pleasant if you can keep using your old Charms.

Also, I'm not so sure about some of those Caste Abilities. I think another combat ability would suit Battles better than Lore. And I dunno about the thematics of the Thrown, Presence, and Bureaucracy Charms in Secrets, Serenity, and Journeys.

I think Sidereals might actually work best with rigid Caste abilities. They've got structured powers and well-defined colleges, after all.

But if you really want a 5-of-7 setup, how about

Serenity: Craft, Dodge, Linguistics, Medicine, Performance, Presence & Socialize

Dodge for Journeys because it's all about being somewhere else. Neighbourhood Relocation Scheme is super-Journeys. Brawl for battles because, well, it's a combat Charmset. And I couldn't think of anything to replace Presence with in Serenity.
            The idea of allowing martial arts to mix with Sidereal charms of an appropriate type is an interesting one. I think it would be ok off the top of my head, but I'd want to have a look at some combinations before I say definitively. Maybe make it a keyword that allows specific charms to cross over?

Actually that pairs up somewhat with an idea I had to allow Sidereals to cross-apply certain charms from different combat abilities together. So because they are about changing circumstance rather than excellence they might be better able to use existing knowledge in a parallel way. Not sure whether it would homogenise things too much and detract from the uniqueness of the different styles of play.

I like your ability spread for the castes. I'm not set on the idea of having 7 abilities to pick from for each caste I just thought I'd put it forward and see what people said. I agree that Sids should probably be more structured in terms of their castes than Solars though. I might make some changes to the abilities based on your suggestions, probably not all of them though, as I'm rather attached to the Secrets caste having Socialize.

Comment

I think your ability spreads make Journeys and Battles too similar to Night and Dawn caste's spread.

I write things.

Comment

Journeys and Night don't have much in common. Athletics, Dodge, and Ride...there are plenty of three-ability matches in this setup. And in almost any setup, actually. Each Solar Caste has access to roughly a third of the list, so this sort of thing is hard to avoid.

Battles and Dawn, yeah. But I'm fine with that. Fighting is pretty similar to Battles.

Originally posted by Grifftofer View Post
                The idea of allowing martial arts to mix with Sidereal charms of an appropriate type is an interesting one. I think it would be ok off the top of my head, but I'd want to have a look at some combinations before I say definitively. Maybe make it a keyword that allows specific charms to cross over?

Actually that pairs up somewhat with an idea I had to allow Sidereals to cross-apply certain charms from different combat abilities together. So because they are about changing circumstance rather than excellence they might be better able to use existing knowledge in a parallel way. Not sure whether it would homogenise things too much and detract from the uniqueness of the different styles of play.
                MA styles are all cross-applicable apart from weapon differences, and that seems to work. Think of each Sidereal combat Charmtree as a Martial Art and it all ought to work fine.

Originally posted by Grifftofer View Post
                I like your ability spread for the castes. I'm not set on the idea of having 7 abilities to pick from for each caste I just thought I'd put it forward and see what people said. I agree that Sids should probably be more structured in terms of their castes than Solars though. I might make some changes to the abilities based on your suggestions, probably not all of them though, as I'm rather attached to the Secrets caste having Socialize.
                Ooh, good idea. That'd be a suitable replacement for Thrown.

Anyway...are you interested in Charm suggestions or a point-by-point critique?

I might have one or the other in me, but I don't want to do it if it's not appreciated.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Anyway...are you interested in Charm suggestions or a point-by-point critique?

I might have one or the other in me, but I don't want to do it if it's not appreciated.
                  Either would be great honestly Whichever you feel like doing more.

Comment

I was creating a Chosen of Endings and noticed that the colleges were wrong. Integrity is The Rising Smoke instead of the Mast. (Or at least it was in Second Edition. I don't know much about First Edition)

For my sanity, I wrote out the colleges

Archery - The Quiver
                    Athletics - The Banner
                    Awareness - The Crow
                    Brawl - The Sword?
                    Bureaucracy - The Haywain
                    Craft - The Peacock
                    Dodge - The Ewer
                    Integrity - The Rising Smoke
                    Investigation - The Key
                    Larceny - The Guardians
                    Linguistics - The Pillar
                    Lore - The Treasure Trove
                    Martial Arts - The Sword
                    Medicine - The Corpse
                    Melee - The Spear
                    Occult - The Sorcerer
                    Performance - The Musician
                    Presence - The Gauntlet
                    Resistance - The Mast
                    Ride - The Messenger
                    Sail - The Captain
                    Socialize - The Lovers
                    Stealth - The Mask
                    Survival - The Ship's Wheel
                    Thrown - The Gull
                    War - The Shield

I write things.

Comment

For some reason, Sidereal War is what I had inspiration for.

Unfortunate Enemies Of Fate
                      Cost: 3m (+1wp); Mins: War 2, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                      Keywords: None
                      Duration: Instant
                      Prerequisite Charms: None

This Charm supplements a Strategic Maneuver roll. The Sidereal may attempt to implement stratagems that have nothing to do with conventional planning and everything to do with luck. The Sidereal's favoured army becomes "lucky", and their enemies become "unlucky". Examples of stratagems that may be implemented with this Charm include:

Unfortunate Accidents (threshold 1): Distribute twice the number of threshold successes among the enemy army as damage dice. The dice are lethal and decisive against individual characters, or dice of Magnitude damage against battle groups. Either way, they double 10s.

Spiteful Sidereal Strategy (threshold 1): Horrible things happen to the enemy commander. They have no effect on the upcoming battle, and often occur after it, but they're nasty. Exactly how nasty depends on the number of threshold successes. 1 success might get the enemy robbed. 10 successes might cause their house to burn down in a fire that kills their husband and children, cause their husband's family to blame and hate them, give their beloved dog rabies, blight their farmland, infect them with syphilis, and drop a tree on their head.

Plague (threshold 2): Each battle group or character in the enemy army must roll (Stamina + Resistance) against a difficulty of (threshold successes - 1, max 5). Each battle group that fails takes (threshold successes + 1) dice of lethal or Magnitude damage with double 10s. A battle group which takes 3 or more damage this way takes a -1 penalty to rolls and Defenses in the upcoming battle unless their leader fields only healthy soldiers and subtracts a point from the battle group's Size. Doing so also removes the damage from the plague. Characters which fail the resistance roll instead develop a disease with Morbidity of (threshold successes, max 5) at the Major Symptom level.

Ammunition Shortage (threshold 3): Somehow, the enemy army runs short of arrows. Each enemy unit of archers may only attack twice before switching to melee weapons in the upcoming battle. They may conserve ammunition by taking a -2 penalty to their attack roll, which causes that attack roll to count as half an attack.

For an additional 1wp, the Sidereal may use this Charm to make a Strategic Maneuver roll for an army that they're not leading. If they do so, and they get more successes than the leader of that army on that roll, then that leader's roll and chosen strategem are replaced by the Sidereal's. When using Unfortunate Enemies Of Fate this way, the Sidereal must select a strategy that the army could implement without actually planning to. Selecting a location for the battle is fine, causing unfortunate accidents for the other army is fine, causing the favoured army to create fortifications is not.

Sidereal War should make you really good at meddling in battles between mortals without anyone noticing. Not sure about the balance on the stratagems.

Fateful Lieutenant Technique
                      Cost: -; Mins: War 4, Essence 1; Type: Permanent
                      Duration: Permanent
                      Prerequisite Charms: Unfortunate Enemies Of Fate

When another character asks the Sidereal for advice and assistance in planning their battle strategy, the Sidereal may use their War Excellency to enhance that character's Strategic Maneuver rolls. If that character then implements their stratagem with successes to spare, they may use the extra successes to activate any stratagem available to a character using Unfortunate Enemies Of Fate.

When advising a character with the Four Glories Meditation Charm, the Sidereal changes the limit on what they may reduce the TN to to 3.

Sidereals are supposed to be supremely good advisors, right? Particularly for Solars.

Selecting Survivors
                      ​Cost: 2m; Mins: War 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
                      Prerequisite Charms: Predestined Triumph Method

This Charm increases the TN of a damage roll against a battle group by 1. In addition, it allows the Sidereal to select (Essence) people in that battle group. Those people will suffer no serious harm from the attack. Even if the battle group is destroyed, they'll only flee or be knocked unconscious. This Charm cannot protect characters who are being deliberately targeted by the enemy.

I figure Sidereals need some way to keep soldiers with important destinies from being cut down. Also useful for protecting friends and family members.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                        I was creating a Chosen of Endings and noticed that the colleges were wrong. Integrity is The Rising Smoke instead of the Mast. (Or at least it was in Second Edition. I don't know much about First Edition)
                        Yeah. I admittedly took a couple of liberties with moving some of the college names around to other abilities. However I did so in order to get what I felt was a better fit to the pairings. For example The Gauntlet was originally Brawl in 1st Ed, but then got moved to Presence in 2nd due to Brawl no longer being a thing. Likewise The Rising Smoke was paired with Athletics in 1st Ed. To me it felt like The Rising smoke was a better match than The Banner for Athletics and therefore The Mast was more appropriate for Integrity.

These are the abilities who had their pairings changed and a little of my thoughts on why. If you disagree on any of them please comment and I'll certainly look at them again.

Athletics - The Banner > The Rising Smoke: Was originally this in 1st Ed. The Banner doesn't feel like a good fit, especially when compared to say War.
                        Brawl - The Sword? > The Gauntlet: Was this in 1st Ed. With there now effectively being 26 abilities (Martial Arts) it made sense for these two to be under the same college rather than coming up with a 26th college and all the hassle that comes with that decision.
                        Integrity - The Rising Smoke > The Mast: Feels like a better fit for Integrity. The centre of things, steadfast and solid. I guess it would be quite easy to swap with The Shield (Resistance) though as it is also a symbol of physical strength.
                        Martial Arts - The Sword > The Gauntlet: Mainly here because of the close ties between Brawl and Martial Arts. If I were looking to maintain the status quo more I would move this and Brawl back to The Sword and leave The Gauntlet with Presence.
                        Presence - The Gauntlet > The Sword: Probably the pairing I am least happy with, but using your force of personality like a sword to cut through opposition feels like a reasonable enough connection to work.
                        Resistance - The Mast > The Shield: Heroism, fearlessness and protection are the stated correlations for this college and they feel to me like pretty good fits for Resistance.
                        War - The Shield > The Banner: Why oh why wasn't The Banner tied to War? Instead it moved from Presence (a good fit) to Athletics (a much worse fit). I put it here because it just makes too much sense to not do it.

Some awesome looking charms
                        Those look really nice. I'm not too certain on the balance of the strategems either, but they don't appear to be too much at a first look.

Comment

I'll admit some of the pairings did look weird in Ex2. I think the Developers where trying to stick with certain themes around castes. For example, Journeys got a ship theme. Not really necessary with ability spreads in Ex3.

I would make Melee - the Sword, Atheltics - the Spear, and Presence - the Rising Smoke.
                          Last edited by wonderandawe; 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                            I'll admit some of the pairings did look weird in Ex2. I think the Developers where trying to stick with certain themes around castes. For example, Journeys got a ship theme. Not really necessary with ability spreads in Ex3.

I would make Melee - the Sword, Atheltics - the Spear, and Presence - the Rising Smoke.
                            Actually I disagree pretty strong with the MA/Gauntlet, Melee/Sword association. I think those miss the point of the association, which is not "hey a gauntlet is like a fist right?"

The essential distinction drawn between the Sword and Spear constellations is that spears are a weapon that are particularly associated with soldiers and armies, with combat in a battle. The writeup talks about discipline because when massed spearmen go up against each other the most important thing to do is hold together. Swords are contrasted as a weapon solely for killing, in any context, and as a more individual weapon.

Thus the Spear belongs in Battles and with Melee, and the Sword belongs in Endings and with Martial Arts (or Brawl - you also aren't likely to have a big company of troops fighting with Brawl).

Comment

Well the Gauntlet association was an extension of it being paired with 1st Ed Brawl, but looking at the actual Colleges I think you're right about the Gauntlet being more Battles and the Sword being more Ending in theme. I'm going to go through and swap those around.

Comment

Fiddled with Craft a bit to make it fit the way I do Craft.

Aiming to make Sidereals better at big Artifacts than small ones here. Also trying to play up the weirdness of Sidereal magic a bit; Sidereals have nothing that lets them cover the entirety of Craft, but they do have easy access to five specific fields.

If it's not here, I didn't change it.

Elemental Vision
                                Cost: -; Mins: Craft 2, Essence 1; Type: Permanent
                                Duration: Permanent

There are five crafts which represent the elements to the Sidereal Exalted. They are

Air: Painting
                                Earth: Architecture
                                Fire: Weapon-smithing
                                Wood: Weaving
                                Water: Cooking

Each costs only 1xp or 1/3 of a bonus point to a Sidereal with this Charm. A Sidereal who already has such specialties is refunded 2xp for each upon buying this Charm. In addition, any elemental or Terrestrial Exalt of an element that the Sidereal has the associated Craft for is treated as though they had a Minor Tie of respect for the Sidereal. Elementals and Terrestrials with Major or Defining Ties for the Sidereal ignore this effect.

Elegant Patterns of Fate
                                Cost: 10m; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental

This Charm reduces the difficulty of an Artifact or Manse creation or repair roll by half.

Wonder-Birthing Midwife
                                Cost: 10m; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
                                Prerequisite Charms: Mending Warped Designs

This Charm converts all dice on an artifact or manse creation or repair roll to successes.

Implicit Construction Methodology
                                Cost: 10m, 1wp, 1hl; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
                                Keywords: Prayer Strip
                                Duration: Indefinite
                                Prerequisite Charms: Predestined Delivery Shaping, Wonder-Birthing Midwife

The Sidereal's prayer strip transforms into a band of blue light that wraps around the Sidereal's wrists as the Sidereal touches an object or materials that could be used to make one. For as long as the Sidereal keeps their motes committed, the object builds or repairs itself. Mundane objects are built or repaired at 10 times normal speed, while non-Legendary Artifacts shorten their interval to two weeks or half a session and Legendary Artifacts shorten their interval to a month or a session. Tools are not required, and if there's no workshop available Implicit Construction Methodology acts as though it had a basic workshop for the purpose of calculating the Terminus of an Artifact or Manse creation or repair roll.

Implicit Construction Methodology does not roll to build or repair the object. It simply applies (Intelligence + Craft + stunt rating x 2 + Essence x 2) successes each time it would roll, and halves the difficulty of any Artifact or Manse construction or repair roll. The Sidereal's player may stunt the object's construction or repair even if their character isn't present, describing how the item comes together.

This Charm cannot be used to build or repair anything the Sidereal could not normally use Craft to build or repair. Moonsilver reacts dangerously with this charm and must thus be worked normally.

PS: Might also be a good idea to change World-Shaping Artistic Vision. -1 TN feels less useful now that it's so easily available to Sidereals.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Working...
                                X