Brawl and Evocations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am kind of glad that my players are not so much for black claw style
    but I let one go with using the hairpins, usually the weapon for her dreaming pearl style, as 'fingers' for snake style, thats going to be very mean...
    and why not push pressure points with sharp needles instead of fingers?

Comment

I believe you can use Incomparable Body Arsenal to make your unarmed attacks into artifact weapons, but combining that with most martial arts is going to require a custom evocation, and 2 charms, one control spell, and at least one evocation is an awful lot of hoops to jump through for sometimes artifact fists.

Comment

Shit, i was really happy that Khantalas was back but it's just Thread Necromancy

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

I just wondered with all this (and can't find it in 3e core) can one use (unarmed) martial arts and brawl charms combined?
          I know that would be scary for your opponents but that hasnt stopped anyone yet

Comment

You can´t. You can´t combine charms from different abilities unless they specifically say so (like Ghost Eating Technique)

Comment

You can't, no.

You can combine different Martial Arts, but you can't combined Martial Arts+Brawl, or Martial Arts+Melee, or Martial Arts+Thrown, or Martial Arts+Archery. Just like you can't combine Brawl and Melee with, like, a cestus or something.

Essentially, if you're rolling Martial Arts to attack, you can only use Martial Arts charms to enhance that attack. If you're rolling Brawl to attack, you can only use Brawl charms to enhance that attack. If you're rolling Melee to attack, you can only use Melee charms to enhance that attack.
              If you're using your Martial Arts to parry, you can only use Martial Arts charms to enhance your parry. If you're using your Brawl to parry, you can only use Brawl charms to enhance your parry. If you're using your Melee to parry, you can only use Melee charms to enhance your parry.

It can be confusing because any of these might actually involve the same weapon, but you're using a different ability, so it's a different kind of attack. Mechanically, it's just the same as how you can't use Archery and Melee charms on the same attack.

However, there's nothing to stop you punching with a Brawl attack one turn and punching with a Martial Arts attack next turn. Or stabbing with a Martial Arts charm and then parrying with your Melee-derived Parry and boosting it with a Melee charm.
              Just like you could punch someone with Brawl with your right hand and then parry with the knife in your left hand using Melee.
              Or, arguably, kick people with Brawl and parry with your quarterstaff with Melee.

So, you can't combine them on one roll, but there's some value to a Dawn caste having Brawl+Martial Arts, or Melee+Martial Arts, or even Brawl+Melee. It's quite unwieldy though.

Also, IIRC Thunderclap Rush Attack explicitly lets you use Martial Arts, or Melee, but that's just a thing for that charm.

Also, if I remember what Vance said correctly, Martial Arts charms can be combined with Dodge, Resistance, Dexterity and/or Stamina charms. So if you've got a Martial Arts charm that increases your Evasion, you can combine it with Dodge charms.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I would make a non-weapon (but combat related) artifact that has some kind of enhancement to your brawl attacks and then build a legend from there.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

To be honest the MA I am super pumped for is Violet Bier of Sorrows. I've got a good homebrew off this forum that I slightly adjusted, and it's worked for my campaign / upcoming campaign, but I want to see what it looks like in the official version so to speak. Violet Bier was always a strong, flexible style that did quite a lot at low essence so I think any Martial Artist would find it very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
                    I would make a non-weapon (but combat related) artifact that has some kind of enhancement to your brawl attacks and then build a legend from there.
                    I was thinking about this too. I want a Brawler to use, you know, their bare hands, so I wasn't sure what kind of artefact could be useful for a brawler.
                    (I'm actually planning to build an Earth aspect who uses brawl, so I'd want a jade artefact. But again, not really sure what.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      I was thinking about this too. I want a Brawler to use, you know, their bare hands, so I wasn't sure what kind of artefact could be useful for a brawler.
                      (I'm actually planning to build an Earth aspect who uses brawl, so I'd want a jade artefact. But again, not really sure what.)

I would think something like bracers, torcs or a belt/girdle would be good fodder.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

That makes sense. Belts or girdles of strength have a strong history in mythology (like Thor's belt), and bracers also make sense. Not sure about torcs so much though.

Comment

Ram's horns headgear like Tim the Enchanter, but you use it to headbutt people?

Comment

I really hope we get examples of Godkicking Boots and Manthreshers in 3rd ed, hopefully soon but I am patient.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

For a brawler its easy: Just give him artifact full metal armor (pun intended) and build in some brawling evocation or as an alternative just give it powers similar to Guts's armor http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Berserker_Armor, which are basically what solar Resistance combat charms do, you can build some extensions on them.

As an alternative explicitly for dreaming style courtesans and black claws: Silken artifact gloves could be something in line with those styles.
                              After all similar to silken armor you can always have an evocation that basically make the item compatible for the use with MA (pending ST approval obviously).

Also while it is true that you cannot combine charms between abilities unless explicitly mentioned, you can still benefit from scene long charms if applicable.

Comment

Working...
                              X