• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctaphrax
    started a topic Why Craft Sucks & How I Fixed It

Why Craft Sucks & How I Fixed It

Originally posted by EDIT
    The rewrite in this thread is out of date. The latest version of the rewrite is here, and its appendix is here.
    We've had a lot of arguments here recently about the new crafting system. I've been pretty firmly on the "it's bad" side. But I'm tired of unproductive arguments.

I like EX3 as a whole, and I want to play games with crafting in them. So in this thread I'm going to present a pair of alternative crafting systems. One is really just a set of tweaks to what's in the book, the other is a full rewrite. They'll be untested first drafts, but I'm pretty sure they'll be better than what's in the backer PDF.

I'll be using the full rewrite when I play, and you're all more than welcome to do the same. If recent discussions are any indication, there are plenty of people in the market for this sort of thing.

First post has my big rant. The last word on Why Sanctaphrax Hates These Rules. Hopefully once I've written it all up I won't feel the need to argue about it anymore. I'll spoiler-block it so it's easy to skip.

Second post has the new systems and some commentary on how I envision Craft working for different types of being.

Third post has the new Solar Craft Charms. Even if you love EX3 Craft, I recommend taking a look here: there'll be some stuff that works fine with either system. Actually, the Charms I'm most proud of are the ones that work fine with either system.

Side comments in italics.

If you want to argue the quality of the craft system here, that's fine. But what I'm actually here for is discussion of the rewrite. I'm not going to reply to rebuttals, even if they're incredibly well-thought-out or utterly stupid.

In order to do this right, I did some research. I read a bunch of Craft threads. And now I pray for the extermination of the human race, but anyway...

I kid. It wasn't as bad as you might expect. There was an unpleasant trend where angrier, more mocking, more patronizing, and more anecdotal posts got more Likes though. I could probably make this post way more popular by adding some extra rage, but I'm gonna try and keep it calm. Even when I'm ranting.

The rant:

Nine problems, in order from most to least serious.

Problem One: All About Artifacts

This complaint might be unique to me, since I don't remember seeing it in any of the many Craft threads here. But it's my #1 issue with EX3 Craft.

The vast majority of Craft in EX3 is about making Artifacts (and occasionally manses). That's the only thing you need a significant number of points for. That's what most Efficiency, Momentum, and Power Charms are useful for. That's what you get good at if you go all-in on Craft.

This is a problem.

It's not good if the Craft guy is awesome when you have downtime and useless when you don't. And it's not good if they're churning out dozens and dozens of supposedly world-shaking wonders. But Artifact-making is fundamentally a downtime activity, since making miraculous wonders that last (more-or-less) forever should take time, and if someone's got 30(!) Charms dedicated to Artifact-making then you've gotta give them abilities that match that investment.

A master of Craft should be using Craft on adventures. When they have a problem, they should be thinking "how can I craft my way past this" the same way a Dawn might ask "how can I fight my way past this". Artifact-making doesn't work for that. It's too big, too grand. Even making a two-dot Artifact is overkill for most problems. That's why, when people tell stories about how Craft was cool in their games, it's often about some mundane project that you don't even need an Excellency for.

Craft magic shouldn't just be about Artifacts. Unfortunately, in EX3 it is. With a few well-appreciated exceptions.

The Agnostic Charms below are intended to address this issue. The full rewrite goes further.

Problem Two: Pointless Points

Points don't do anything good.

I know of four things that the points system is supposed to do well. It paces Artifact completion rolls, it encourages people to craft, it promotes engagement with the setting, and it gives people something to spend on Craft Charms. But I think points are a bad way to do each of those things.

The goal of pacing artifact completion rolls is to keep the number of rolls per story/year sensible. So why not just use an ordinary extended roll, maybe with an interval measured in stories or sessions? Then you get straight to the goal with no confusion or risk of failure.

The best way to encourage people to craft is to make crafting worthwhile. Nobody needs encouragement to use Melee, because Melee is really useful. It solves problems, mostly violent ones. And if you can't figure out how to make crafting intrinsically worthwhile, you still have plenty of other bribes to offer. Willpower! Motes! The love of NPCs! Why take this approach, when there are so many others available that integrate beautifully with the overall setting and system?

I'm also unconvinced by the system from an engaging-with-the-setting perspective. The hypothetical crafting equivalent of a murder-hobo, who lives in a workshop and makes Artifacts all day, is actually tremendously effective under this system. They can easily satisfy all three objectives as long as they have a friend to sell stuff to, and since Craft's core use is making Artifacts they're not losing anything by living in a workshop.

People don't really need another thing to spend on Craft Charms. I can actually see why you'd want a resource that doesn't become trivial when you have a month of free time, but craft xp isn't like that. You can get 10 silver points a day without trying. So you might as well just use motes for short-term costs and willpower for medium-term ones. If you really want a long-term cost, require motes to be committed long-term or go back to EX2-style exotic ingredients.

So I don't think we need points. And we shouldn't use them if we don't need them: they add rules cruft and occasionally create weird situations. Like ones where a master craftsman just can't even try to make something, for no clear reason.

This issue is only addressed by the full rewrite, though the tweaks nibble at the edges a bit.

Problem Three: Confusing Complexity

Craft is huge and complicated and I don't know why. Who looked at Exalted and thought, "this game needs six more resources to track"? Why did they make Craft the largest Charm tree in the book?

This complexity has real consequences. Look in the threads about it: even intelligent people who like or want to like the system often find it hard to understand. This huge pile of rules is a source of pointless confusion. Might even have affected the writers: it's a lot easier to print Charms referring to non-existent Evocation rules when you've got so many other Craft Charms to keep track of.

Making this worse is the fact that the complexity can easily end up as a complete waste of time. The Artifact output of a Solar Craft master is limited primarily by their wondrous material supply. And there are pretty much no rules for that. So you spend a long time futzing around with numbers and points and objectives and dice, but ultimately none of it is important: the system boils down to "ask your Storyteller".

Rules shouldn't be complex unless they have to be. These ones don't have to be, and I intend to demonstrate that with my full rewrite. The tweaks do nothing to simplify the system, though.

Problem Four: Misjudged Math

You can get over a hundred silver xp in an hour if you make arrows really well. This isn't just a problem: it's several sub-problems put together.

First, it seems like the writers never stopped to think about how many basic projects an ordinary crafter is likely to do. Basic projects take "several minutes to several hours". So in a standard eight-hour workday, you'll do...somewhere between 2 and 160. Even 2 a day means you can use Dual Magnus Prana every eight days, assuming 7.5 silver xp per project. (DMP requires Sublime Transference). 160 a day means that you can use Dual Magnus Prana ten times a day.

Second, the project examples are kind of crazy. One arrow shouldn't be enough to get you craft xp. If you can do 60 of one project in the time it takes you to do 1 of another, those two projects probably shouldn't give you the same number of xp.

Third, the basic objectives are very mass-production friendly. If you're getting paid and you care about your job, that's two of them right there. If your work impresses the people who buy from you, that's all three.

But that's not the end of the math issues. Once you've bought enough Charms and made enough Artifacts, you get an embarrassing number of craft xp. From there, you can make a genuinely ridiculous number of Artifacts. At this point, Crafting totally stops being a challenge. The thing you've centered your character around becomes a total non-issue. Which sucks: investing heavily in a system should lead to deeper engagement with it, not to making it irrelevant.

Amusingly, one side of the problem kinda makes the other side less serious. Once craft xp becomes almost worthless, many of the problems that craft xp causes go away.

I've heard the system was based on Cookie Clicker. That sounds kinda ridiculous, since Cookie Clicker is absolutely not what you'd want Exalted to be like, but the system breaks down in a Cookie-Clicker-esque way so I believe it. And anyway, it was Stephen Lea Sheppard who said it. He ought to know, right?

Both of my rewrites try to fix this issue. Dunno whether the tweaks succeed, though.

Problem Five: Sabotaged Stories

This is probably the most common complaint about EX3 Craft. It's not my personal bugbear, but I'd be remiss not to mention it.

Some people don't want to do basic projects. Some people want to play characters who can't/won't do basic projects, like architects or weaponsmiths. Some people find themselves in situations where, although doing another basic/major project is 100% mechanically the right choice, they feel it would be narratively inappropriate to spend time and effort on a mundane work of craft. Some people want to play characters who are good at crafting, but don't do it all the time.

The system shouldn't make life hard for these people. But it does. They stretch their character concepts or they just end up weak. Insofar as craft xp can be an effective incentive or bribe, the lack of it can be an effective threat.

My full rewrite addresses this issue, and the tweaks at least mitigate it.

Problem Six: Inappropriate Incentives

This might actually be a problem with houserules. It's not clear. Some people say you can only get Craft xp for projects that are roleplayed out fully. I don't think that's actually what the rules say, but as I said before this system is very unclear. So maybe that is how it works.

If it is, then the system is paying you to hog the spotlight. A blacksmith might shoe ten horses in a day. Do you think your group wants to sit back and listen to you have ten full conversations about horse-shoeing with the ST?

Obviously, it doesn't. And because you're not a prick you won't waste hours of their time like that. But the system wants you to do that: it's offering you craft xp. So maybe you'll just waste a little bit of their time? It shouldn't even be a question.

Please, if your player wants to gloss over the horse-shoe-ing they're doing, let them.

And on a related note: some people are also pretty bothered that shoeing horses is the path to making a sword. I'm not really among them, but I would like to point out that complaining about this isn't actually the same as complaining about having to make withering attacks in order to make decisive attacks. A withering attack is basically identical to a decisive attack in story, so the requirement boils down to "you have to attack someone in order to attack them". The way craft xp works, you have to craft something else. You can't take the obvious, direct, and logical path.

Both of my rewrites address these issues.

Problem Seven: Charm Chaff

There are an absolute ton of Craft Charms and a fair number of them are trash. They're super boring, overcomplicated, or just not good ideas.

Not gonna harp on this one. Just gonna drop everything I don't like while rewriting the Charmset.

Problem Eight: Discipline Divisions

The division of Craft in EX2 was a problem. The fans hated it. The writers seemed to hate it too. So why the hell did they make it worse?

It's not like they didn't know a better way. Lore has a better system for divergent areas of expertise, and Performance is still as ridiculously broad as ever. Why did they screw up Craft, and only Craft, like this?

Making it worse, to me, is the hollowness of the difference between different types of Craft in this edition. A tailor and a jeweler have all the same Charms. Maybe one makes an Artifact scarf and the other makes an Artifact ring, but it's the same mechanically and very similar narratively. Doing different mundane can differentiate characters a bit, but for characters defined largely by supernatural might it feels a bit weak.

Also, Craft (Artifacts) is a really strange idea. Anyone know why it's in the game?

This isn't really a serious issue. It's just an xp tax and it's dead-easy to houserule away. Both rewrites address it. But it's just so very inexplicable.

Problem Nine: Wonder Weirdness

Why are First Age wonders so much harder to make/repair than normal Artifacts? Are they more powerful than other Artifacts with the same rating? It doesn't seem so. Beloved Adorei and Spring Razor cost the same for a starting character, and their effectiveness seems roughly similar. And if First Age Artifacts are stronger, why not just increase their ratings?

It really looks like fixing a First Age Beamklave is a total waste of time when you could be making a new Daiklave.

Again, this is a minor issue. Both rewrites address it. But it seems completely unnecessary.

PS: If you've enjoyed using the system, more power to you. But given that people enjoy using every broken and horrible system under the sun, I don't find it terribly persuasive. Usually even a bad system chugs along for a while before the wheels come off...and with the right group, Hammer-Nails-Into-Your-Own-Eyeballs-The-RPG might well work great and never run into a serious problem.

PPS: Next time we have a big crappy Craft thread, can y'all refer the people who dislike the system to this?
    Last edited by Sanctaphrax; 05-18-2016, 03:34 AM.

• Lioness
    replied
    He only came unbanned due to an old fault with the forum software defining a permanent ban as a 2 year ban, I've suggested he appeal if he wants to return.

Leave a comment:

• Gatts
    replied
    "You cannot give reputation to this user." He's banned again?

Leave a comment:

• Jetstream
    replied
    ... Well howdy there.

Leave a comment:

• Sanctaphrax
    replied
    Terrestrial Charms

General Charms

Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise
    Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Craft 1, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Balanced, Earth, Excellency
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisites: None

The Dragon-Blood may add dice to a Craft roll at a cost of one mote per die. Her dice cap is increased by 1 if she’s working with tools and materials of exceptional quality, or by 2 if her tools and materials are of legendary quality. When crafting an Artifact or Manse, exceptional means 7 or 8 rolls from workshop and materials and legendary means 9 or more.

Stone-Carving Fingers / Forge-Hand Prana / Wood-Weaving Technique
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1
    Keywords: Balanced, Earth / Fire / Wood
    Duration: One project

This Charm is actually three Charms, one for each of Earth, Fire, and Wood. Stone-Carving Fingers works with earth, stone, and brick, Forge-Hand Prana works with metal, glass, and other things that are crafted with fire, and Wood-Weaving Technique works with plant matter. A Terrestrial who has one of the three Charms may purchase the other two for 3xp or 1bp each.

This Charm supplements an attempt to build or repair something made from the appropriate materials, allowing the Dragon-Blood to work without tools or a workshop. If used to create or repair an Artifact or Manse, it counts as a basic workshop. If used on a mundane project in combination with the appropriate tools, this Charm reduces the time required by one increment on the following chart:

Decades <-> Years <-> Months <-> Weeks <-> Days <-> Hours <-> Minutes <-> Seconds

Flaw-Finding Examination
    Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Earth
    Prerequisites: Stone-Carving Fingers

The Dragon-Blood spends a moment studying the structure of an object. If she then attempts to repair the object or break it with a feat of strength, the time she requires to do so is reduced by one increment on the above chart. She also adds a non-Charm die to her roll and reduces any Strength requirements by 1. She may share this benefit with another Dragon-Blood by explaining the structure of the object to him, but multiple uses of this Charm do not stack.

Many-Handed Craftsman Prana
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Craft 4, Essence 1
    Keywords: Balanced, Earth
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise

The Dragon-Blood works in perfect harmony with her assistants, doubling the bonus she receives to the terminus of an Artifact or Manse creation project from assistance.

The Dragon-Blood can also use this Charm while assisting another character with the creation of an Artifact or Manse, adding 1 to the terminus. This bonus is not doubled if the lead craftsman uses this Charm as well, but four or more assistants using this Charm in concert add 2 to the terminus and twenty or more assistants using it add 3.

Building From The Soul
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 2
    Keywords: Earth / Fire / Water / Wood / Air
    Duration: Indefinite
    Prerequisites: Stone-Carving Fingers, Forge-Hand Prana, Wood-Weaving Technique

This Charm supplements an attempt to build or repair something non-magical, allowing the Dragon-Blood to work without certain materials. Any earth, stone, metal, wood, water, ice, or other common elementally-Aspected mundane matter needed can be conjured from the Terrestrial’s anima. However, such material is impermanent, and vanishes when the Terrestrial withdraws her motes. The amount of material this Charm can produce is limited to about the size of an adult man.

Shaping Hand Style
    Cost: -; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 2
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Stone-Carving Fingers, Forge-Hand Prana, Wood-Weaving Technique

This Charm combines and upgrades its prerequisites, allowing them to be used on any materials the Dragonblood is capable of working with.

Stones From Rubble Restoration
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 2
    Prerequisites: Flaw-Finding Examination

This Charm reduces the difficulty of each roll in a repair project by (Essence / 2, rounded down) as long as the Dragon-Blood has used Flaw-Finding Examination to study the object in question.

Touch of Unmaking
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 2
    Prerequisites: Stones-From Rubble Restoration

When you truly understand how something is made, breaking it is quite effortless. After examining an object with Flaw-Finding Examination, the Dragon-Blood may use this Charm to reduce the Strength required to break it by 3. She may share this benefit with another Dragon-Blood, as with Flaw-Finding Examination. If some or all of this reduction is unnecessary, the Dragon-Blood receives non-Charm bonus dice equal to the excess reduction.

Flawless Facet Realization
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Balanced, Earth
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise

This Charm adds (Essence) non-Charm dice to a Craft roll.

Strike the Dragon-Anvil
    Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 2
    Prerequisites: Flawless Facet Realization

This Charm doubles 9s on a Craft roll.

With a repurchase at Essence 5, this Charm may be used to double 8s instead once per session. Doing so costs 10m, 1wp.

Ephemeral Form Composition
    Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Signature (Air)

This Charm allows the Dragon-Blood to create an Artifact or Manse mentally, assembling imaginary materials to create an imaginary wonder. Doing so follows all the same rules as a normal project. Once the imaginary wonder is complete, the Dragon-Blood may release the mote cost of this Charm. From then on, the Dragonblood can easily assemble a real version of the imaginary wonder. Alternatively, she can explain the design to another competent craftsman and have them do so. Actualising a wonder is not instantaneous, but it’s slightly faster than creating a similar mundane object would be.

Actualising a design created with this Charm requires tools, materials, and assistance equivalent to what the Dragon-Blood imagined. In the case of a Manse, it also requires the specific Demesne that the Dragon-Blood had in mind. Any given wonder may be actualised only once.

Eternal Omphalos Forge
    Cost: 15m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Signature (Earth)

Once per story, the Dragon-Blood begins an attempt to create a Manse or Artifact. She adds 1 to the project’s terminus. When she completes the project, she receives 1 point of willpower for every unused roll. This can raise her willpower above its normal limit, up to (Permanent Willpower + Essence).

Fortune-From-Flotsam Ingenuity
    Cost: 15m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Signature (Water)

The Dragon-Blood makes a mundane Craft roll in an instant, ignoring all penalties for improvised or substandard tools and materials. She might stitch her shirt into a parachute while falling from the sky, build a stone wall as fast as she can run along it, or cook a beast she just slew into a meal before it hits the ground. If this Charm is used to make an effort that would normally take more than an hour or so instantaneous, the durability of the resulting object or structure is compromised. It works normally until the end of the scene, but after that it begins to fall apart. This Charm cannot be used for projects that would normally take more than a month.

This Charm may only be used once per story.

Imago-Hatching Realization
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Signature (Wood)

The Dragon-Blood allows her work to take shape on its own, making no attempt to control its growth. She may activate this Charm after a successful roll to build or repair something. If she does so, the object or structure in question turns out to have an unexpected but useful feature. A musical instrument might have a hypnotic effect on certain animals, for example, or a shirt might have an incredibly subtle hidden pocket. The Dragon-Blood is likely not to know what the feature is until it becomes relevant, and the Storyteller may choose to leave its nature undefined until a dramatically appropriate time for a “reveal”.
    When used on a roll to create or repair an Artifact, this Charm generally adds an additional theme from which Evocations may be drawn. This Charm may only be used once per story.

Self-Immolating Creative Frenzy
    Cost: 8m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Signature (Fire)

The Dragon-Blood is consumed by her work. Obsession drives her to new heights of creativity even as it destroys her body. This Charm enhances an attempt to create an Artifact or Manse, adding (Essence) non-Charm dice to each roll, cutting the time between rolls in half, and negating all wound, fatigue, or distraction penalties to those rolls. The Dragon-Blood may convert the bonus dice from this Charm into successes by taking one die of bashing damage for each die converted. Damage taken this way doubles 10s and does not heal until the Charm ends.

While under the effects of this Charm, the Dragon-Blood sleeps fitfully and cannot regain willpower by resting. Ending this Charm prematurely causes the project to fail, and failing a project enhanced with this Charm causes the Dragon-Blood to lose all willpower.

Specialization Charms

Superior Shipwright Stance
    Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 1
    Keywords: Wood / Water
    Duration: Until the ship is finished
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise, a speciality in shipbuilding

This Charm supplements an attempt to build a ship. If the attempt succeeds, the ship has maneuverability one point higher than a normal ship of its type and an additional -0 Hull health level. Moreover, it remains seaworthy in all waters; even a trireme built with this Charm can sail the Great Western Ocean.

Draconic Alchemy
    Cost: 10m; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise, a specialty in chemistry

This Charm is a two-hour-long action in which the Dragon-Blood brews a rare substance from ingredients found in any respectable alchemical laboratory.
    Upon learning this Charm, the Dragon-Blood gains access to three formulas. They may purchase more for 3xp apiece, selecting from the list below or inventing their own. The elemental Aspect of this Charm depends upon the formula being created.

(Air) Petrified Smoke: A small grey pellet that, when crushed, creates an enormous amount of thick black smoke. Outdoors on a day without wind, it inflicts a -4 penalty to vision for about one minute. Crushing a pellet normally takes a miscellaneous action, but may be done as part of an attempt to hide or disengage in combat. Lasts (Essence) days if not crushed.

(Air) Perfume of Endless Breath: An odd perfume that renders the air breathable anywhere. It doesn’t counteract poisons, but does prevent smoke-related suffocation. If used to purify a room it’s effective for about an hour; if used to fill a sealed helmet, it can sustain a person for a full day. In a sealed container, it lasts (Essence) weeks.

(Water) Tears of Daana’d: A clear liquid that, when mixed into salty or polluted water, forces all contaminants from the water and leaves behind something perfectly drinkable. One use of this formula can purify enough water to sustain a hundred people for a day. Lasts (Essence) weeks if not used.

(Water) Scoundrel’s Ink: Enough unremarkable-looking black ink to write about a dozen pages. A few minutes after being used, it vanishes. The Dragon-Blood sets the requirement to make it reappear when making it; normally this is another substance that must be touched to the paper (vinegar is common) but it’s also possible to make ink that will only reappear when exposed to the Essence of its maker, of a Dragon-Blooded member of its maker’s family, of someone who is Sworn Kin to the maker, or of a Dragon-Blood in general.

(Earth) Faebane: A black oil that, when rubbed into an object, causes it affect the Wyld as though it consisted of cold iron. One use of the formula provides enough oil to anoint a sword or a set of clothes. Lasts (Essence) days.

(Earth) Lodestone: A small black lump of metal that attracts other metals with its mere presence. Useful in navigation, as it naturally tends to move towards the Imperial Mountain if left to its own devices. The pull from a lodestone is weak and not able to damage anything or to impede the movements of a person carrying one.

(Wood) Opium: Completely normal opium, in quantity sufficient to get the average addict properly high a dozen times.

(Wood) Dragonbite: A poison that turns the blood green. It has the following traits: damage 3i/round (L in Crash), duration 5 rounds, penalty -2, vector damage or ingestion. Lasts (Essence) weeks if not used.

(Fire) Firedust: Completely normal firedust, in a quantity sufficient for six shots of a firewand.

(Fire) The Spit of Hesiesh: A potent incendiary that ignites when exposed to air. It burns for only a few seconds, but gives off as much heat as a bonfire. Being exposed to it is an environmental hazard with damage 5L, difficulty to resist 5. It may be delivered to an enemy with a difficulty 2 gambit. However, unless stored in packaging that takes a miscellaneous action to open, the vial will break and expose its carrier to its effects whenever that carrier takes falling damage or more than six dice of bashing damage. Lasts (Essence) days if not used.

Crystallised Fire Technique
    Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 4, Essence 1
    Keywords: Earth / Fire
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise, a specialty in gemcutting

This Charm supplements an attempt to cut and polish a gem. If the attempt is successful, the gem shines with light from within. The brightness of the glow depends on the value of the gem; a flawed quartz might only glow visibly in the dark, while a large and flawless diamond might be painful to look at. Gems cut this way glow until destroyed.

A Hundred Men Or A Single Dragon
    Cost: -; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Earth / Wood
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Stone-Carving Fingers or Wood-Weaving Technique, a specialty in architecture

When working to build a structure of earth, stone, metal, or wood, a single Terrestrial with this Charm can perform as much work as a team of (Essence * Essence * 10) people.

Passion-Inflaming Artistry
    Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 4, Essence 2
    Keywords: Fire
    Prerequisites: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise, a specialty in an aesthetic, ornamental, or edible craft

This Charm supplements an attempt to create something aesthetic, ornamental, or edible. If it succeeds, the Craft roll is treated as attempt to inspire an emotion of the Dragon-Blood’s choice in anyone who engages with the object over the next (Charisma + Essence) days.

Dragonhide of Silk and Cotton
    Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Wood
    Prerequisites: Wood-Weaving Technique, Flaw-Finding Examination, a specialty in weaving or tailoring

This Charm supplements an attempt to make a set of clothes. If the attempt succeeds, the clothes count as light mundane armour. They look almost identical to normal clothes; a difficulty 5 roll is needed to notice their supernatural durability. When making unusually heavy clothing, the sort that might incur a mobility penalty, the Dragon-Blood may instead have them count as medium mundane armour. Clothes enhanced this way are not indestructible, but they are extremely durable.

Armoury of Frost
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Craft 4, Essence 2
    Keywords: Air / Water
    Prerequisites: Shaping Hand Style, Building From The Soul, a specialty in weaponsmithing

This Charm supplements an attempt to create a weapon, allowing the Dragon-Blood to use water in place of metal. As she works, the water freezes into a strange form of ice that’s just as effective a material for weapons as steel. Non-Artifact ice weapons made with this Charm can be melted, but the temperatures needed to do so are uncommon even in the South.

Refining the Solidified Flame
    Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Fire
    Duration: Until the dust burns or is separated
    Prerequisites: Draconic Alchemy, the formula for firedust

The Dragon-Blood pours their burning Essence into a quantity of firedust, making it burn hotter and explode more forcefully. If used on a charge suitable for loading a weapon, it adds 4 damage to a withering attack against an individual, 8 damage to a withering attack against a battle group, or double 10s to the damage of a decisive attack. Outside of a firewand or similar weapon, firedust enhanced with this Charm simply behaves as though there was three times as much of it.

In addition, the Dragon-Blood may apply a variety of cosmetic effects to firedust enhanced with this Charm. She may have it burn in strange colours, with strange sounds, or in shapes reminiscent of her anima.

The magic of this Charm requires the enhanced firedust to remain together. If the quantity of dust is split up, it loses its enhanced qualities.

Castle-Shattering Strike
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Craft 5, Essence 4
    Prerequisites: A Hundred Men Or A Single Dragon, Touch Of Unmaking

The Dragon-Blood spends an hour studying a wall, building, or other artificial structure. In doing so she finds the weakest point in its construction. If she, or another Dragon-Blood with instructions from her, then travels to that weak point and attempts a feat of strength to demolish the structure, she halves the Strength requirement and the difficulty of the roll. At the ST’s discretion, this Charm may be more effective against shoddily constructed buildings or less effective against exceptionally well-made ones.

Using this Charm renders Touch of Unmaking and Flaw-Finding Examination redundant. If the weak point of the structure happens to be inside it, this Charm provides no protection against the collapse.

Terrestrial Charm Notes

Terrestrial Craft was much better-written than Solar Craft. As such, I changed a lot less this time around. Mostly, I removed craft points and added specialisation Charms. I did clean up a bit where effects or prereqs seemed messy to me, though. And I tried to make the set a bit more teamwork-oriented.
    My favourite Charm here is probably Self-Immolating Creative Frenzy. Partly because it replaced the one Charm I really disliked; Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete is borderline counterproductive and its flavour doesn’t work well. But also partly because it says a lot about the user. Which seems appropriate for a Signature Charm.
    Crystallised Fire Technique and Dragonhide of Silk and Cotton are pretty much clones of Solar Charms. Figured they had to exist, since the Solar Charms weren’t meant to be obvious Anathema magic.
    This was meant to be a pure rules document, but I got carried away and wrote some flavour text on some of these Charms. Not sure whether it improves them or not.
    Last edited by Sanctaphrax; 08-18-2018, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    One of my Friends got interested in craft, and after reading both systems he found this rewrite a far better option.

Leave a comment:

• EmbrosCyan
    replied
    This post allowed me to fold craft back into my game. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    Discussing bans or moderator actions is a good way to get yourself a suspension. Don't do it. When someone has a history of repeated forum rule violations they eventually get a permanent suspension,.Arguing with Rich is generally not justification to warrant a permanent suspension and in fact he has frequently requested that people who argue with him not be suspended when the moderators felt such action was warranted. Personal attacks are another matter entirely and we don't tolerate that. This is all the discussion I'm allowing on the matter.
    Last edited by Darksider; 04-27-2017, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sandact6
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Sandact6: Could we not, please?
    I'm not. I just stated what happened.

Leave a comment:

• AtG
    replied
    Originally posted by Gaara View Post

Thank you for answering my problem

OK my math may not be 100% correct but this is the third time my player succeed in crafting a 5 dot Artifact in 3 roll. So my probability calculation isn't so bad I think

What I want to know is : Is my player really lucky or is there anyone else playing with this system that can confirm my math approximation ?

Also maybe with a very specialized solar it's absolutely normal to craft 5 dot Artifact every 3 sessions (or 3 month) ? I just want to be sure that I miss nothing
    To be clear: your method undercounts the expected successes. My own quick simulation says he should average 54.15 successes.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Sandact6: Could we not, please?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-27-2017, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gaara
    replied
    Originally posted by AtG View Post

If you are just asking "does changing a die to a 10 count against my dice cap?" the answer is no.

The rest of your math starting with item 3 doesn't really follow, and also your general strategy of trying to measure the value of FMotD through a uniform spread of die results isn't going to give a good answer, since much FMotD's value comes in the variance.

Thank you for answering my problem

OK my math may not be 100% correct but this is the third time my player succeed in crafting a 5 dot Artifact in 3 roll. So my probability calculation isn't so bad I think

What I want to know is : Is my player really lucky or is there anyone else playing with this system that can confirm my math approximation ?

Also maybe with a very specialized solar it's absolutely normal to craft 5 dot Artifact every 3 sessions (or 3 month) ? I just want to be sure that I miss nothing

Leave a comment:

• PlotVitalNPC
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

He basically confronted Rich in an issue on a thread.
    Must've been a pretty confrontational...confrontation, in order to merit a longstanding ban.

Leave a comment:

• Sandact6
    replied
    Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post

How'd he get banned, anyways?
    He basically confronted Rich in an issue on a thread.

Leave a comment:

• PlotVitalNPC
    replied
    Originally posted by Irked View Post
    So, Sanctaphrax can't actually post in this thread anymore (because he's been banned); you might try the forums over at Sufficient Velocity if you want a detailed answer.
    How'd he get banned, anyways?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X