No announcement yet.

How I wish charms were written

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed, bravo - and many, many thanks!

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not done yet though - still need to generate the final PDF!

Started a tiny bit of work on that, but I'm not real familiar with LaTEX. I like learning new things though, and it seems like a super useful skill to have.

Comment

• First version, just a proof of concept for the intro. Made from this LaTeX file.

The sidebar took forever to format even this far (future ones will of course just use the created macro ). I don't really know what I'm doing, but I may mess around with it more and see if I can get the nice corners Ex3 has on its sidebars.

I can't figure out how to use a different font in LaTeX. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like to use "Mercury Text G2", same as Ex3, and I have a .otf flie...but no luck getting latex to use it yet.

Gonna mess with the page numbers too, make them a bit prettier. That done, it's just a bunch of copy-paste for all the charms (and some regex-reformatting to push them into the /charm macro format).

Comment

• Sadly, I know nothing of LaTeX, so I've no direct help to offer, but I do like the background color for the sidebar - it clearly sets it apart from the page, without becoming illegible.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueWinds View Post
            First version, just a proof of concept for the intro. Made from this LaTeX file.

The sidebar took forever to format even this far (future ones will of course just use the created macro ). I don't really know what I'm doing, but I may mess around with it more and see if I can get the nice corners Ex3 has on its sidebars.

I can't figure out how to use a different font in LaTeX. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like to use "Mercury Text G2", same as Ex3, and I have a .otf flie...but no luck getting latex to use it yet.

Gonna mess with the page numbers too, make them a bit prettier. That done, it's just a bunch of copy-paste for all the charms (and some regex-reformatting to push them into the /charm macro format).
            Have you tried running xelatex instead? I'm not versed in it, but the internet suggests it'll do a lot better for parsing font packages.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Are you going to do the other Martial Arts styles also?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lauraliane View Post
                Are you going to do the other Martial Arts styles also?
                I'll be doing a couple of them, but not all. Probably Snake and Tiger. Did you have a specific one you're interested in?

Comment

• Jesus Christ, that took a long time to translate.
                  (Just the Charms names. I'm going to, like, explain directly the Charms to my players. With that plain language, I can just translate on the spot.)
                  Obviously that means I got to take the time to read it all, and I've got to say, I appreciate very much your work, even if I don't agree with all your decisions. It's not a source I'd push forward as a player in an otherwise vanilla game, but it's definitely awesome for me as a ST, so thanks again for writing your own version.

Part-time table flipper.

Comment

• Very first complete PDF is available!

I've done a very brief first pass over it, but now have to run. Please let me know about any mistakes, uglyness, formatting glitches, etc. There are several things I still intend to do (like adding MA and making the page numbers pretty)... but here it is.

Comment

• At first glance, you have some charms that say "Prereqs: 6" and that's it. First ones I noticed were in the Athletics tree, but there's more than a couple of them. ^_^ Looks gorgeous though!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                        At first glance, you have some charms that say "Prereqs: 6" and that's it. First ones I noticed were in the Athletics tree, but there's more than a couple of them. ^_^ Looks gorgeous though!
                        Yeees. I note this for:
                        Immaculate Golden Bow
                        Graceful Crane Stance
                        Soaring Crane Leap
                        Increasing Strength Exercise
                        Racing Hare Method
                        Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique
                        Sensory Acuity Prana
                        Unsurpassed Hearing Discipline
                        Dedicated Unerring Ear
                        Eye Of The Unconquered Sun

... And then, oddly, the problem abruptly stops. I'm not sure what happened there.

EDIT: Also, as a longtime enemy of Ten Ox Meditation, I feel somewhat responsible for how you refer to that Charm in the introduction... but then it's not actually there in the text.
                        Last edited by Chejop Kejak; 08-04-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
                          Yeees. I note this for:
                          Immaculate Golden Bow
                          Graceful Crane Stance
                          Soaring Crane Leap
                          Increasing Strength Exercise
                          Racing Hare Method
                          Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique
                          Sensory Acuity Prana
                          Unsurpassed Hearing Discipline
                          Dedicated Unerring Ear
                          Eye Of The Unconquered Sun

... And then, oddly, the problem abruptly stops. I'm not sure what happened there.

EDIT: Also, as a longtime enemy of Ten Ox Meditation, I feel somewhat responsible for how you refer to that Charm in the introduction... but then it's not actually there in the text.
                          Huh, I thought I fixed all of those. There was a problem with one of my regexes converting from text -> latex formatting, and so charms with spaces in the duration but no keywords got "6" for their prereqs. When I noticed this, I'd already made a bunch of other changes and didn't want to ctrl-z everything and fix the regex... so I tweaked it manually. And apparently somehow missed the first few abilities? I dunno. Anyway, fixed now.

Also updated the introductory description. No more Ten Ox Meditation.

Comment

• And a second version is up. Now with pretty page numbers, PDF bookmarks (autogenerated, like everything else ) and a Martial Arts chapter (though I haven't messed with the page background for it yet).

Irked - thanks for the xalatex tip. I got fonts working... and promptly decided that the latex default was prettier and reverted the changes. Still using the Ex3 header font for the chapter headers - it looks neat there - but body font, well, I'll stick with the one backed by usability studies.

EDIT: And now the PDF has vector graphics! The charm trees look good no matter how much you zoom in. Only thing left to do now is finish up a couple more sample martial arts styles. Snake + Tiger should do it, I think. Yes, I know other people have rewritten them... I'm gonna do it again!
                            Last edited by BlueWinds; 08-10-2016, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Hey there! Great work so far. I'm getting a 404 error from that link, though.

Comment

• Looks like the link might be: http://threewestwinds.com/Rewrite/Charms-svg.pdf

Craft rewrite.
                                Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Working...
                                X