No announcement yet.

How I wish charms were written

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My own house-rule was to keep Ten Ox Meditation but make it so it upgrades Increasing Strength Exercise by allowing it to be activated as a Supplemental Charm, but with the duration reduced to one feat of strength instead of a scene. Basically, the same function of "I need to lift this NOW, no time to activate scene-long, Simple Charm ISE". I could have just made it a repurchase of ISE, but I like the name Ten Ox Meditation

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Ok! A bit of reverse order action going on here, 'cause why not. From bottom of the thread, ish:

Originally posted by danelsan View Post
      My own house-rule was to keep Ten Ox Meditation but make it so it upgrades Increasing Strength Exercise by allowing it to be activated as a Supplemental Charm, but with the duration reduced to one feat of strength instead of a scene. Basically, the same function of "I need to lift this NOW, no time to activate scene-long, Simple Charm ISE". I could have just made it a repurchase of ISE, but I like the name Ten Ox Meditation
      Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
      Just read Irked's read-through thread, and he pointed out a couple of things that are relevant here.
      Second, Ten Ox Meditation seems even lamer when you pay attention to the fact that the main feat of strength tree doesn't require it. I suggest ditching it, and maybe giving its effect to Thunder's Might. It's a pretty weak effect, so I doubt it'd unbalance anything. The only prereq you'd have to adjust is Triumph-Forged God-Body's.
      I am convinced. The effect honestly seems weak enough to just be an ISE bonus (and I do think ISE could use the boost more than Thunder's Might) - I've left ISE Simple, but just given it Ten Ox as a side bonus.

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax
      First, Rain Of Feathered Death should probably say "If the attack hits, each created arrow hits with a raw damage equal to the Solar's current Initiative minus her successes on the previous damage rolls, to a minimum of (Essence) damage", instead of "If the attack hits, each created arrow hits with a raw damage equal to the Solar's current Initiative minus her successes on the previous damage roll, to a minimum of (Essence) damage". Doesn't fit the example without the pluralization.
      Fixed. Somehow I feel like there should be an easier way to phrase the whole thing, but it wasn't coming to me then and it isn't now.

Originally posted by McAllister
      Keen Taste and Smell: are the Read Intentions rolls automatically successful? If not, can they at least explicitly use Perception+Awareness?
      In general charms which say "make an XYZ roll" follow all the rules for that roll (IE, normal Read Intentions actions aren't automatically successful). I'll clarify that Awareness is an appropriate ability though, sure.

Originally posted by Ph34r_n0_3V1L View Post
      BlueWinds The third Night Caste Anima entry says "This is considered a perfect effect, and cannot be pierced by Eye of the Unconquered Sun (see p. 273) or other all-seeing magic." Does that mean EotUS can't penetrate perfect effects or just the Anima power? Whichever, it would prevent arguments if there was a reminder in the charm text: "Eyes of the Unconquered Sun cannot penetrate (perfect effects such as) the Night Caste Anima effect."
      If only there were some general rule about how Perfect effects interact! Nah, I mean, how would the writers know such a rule would be needed? ><;;

But yeah, snark aside, I will clarify.

Alright, fair enough.

Still, the new Thunder's Might is pretty uninspiring. Would be better if the full effect didn't cost willpower.
      Did I mention I took the wp cost out of here? I did, anyway. With that done, I think it's good enough as is. Will await someone actually buying the charm tree in a game to tell me if it felt like a waste or not.

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax
      I liked Awareness when I first read it. But I've kind of soured on it, particularly after reading this. You've definitely improved it, but I don't know if I like the improved version. Which makes the original look pretty crappy...

1. No disappearing 6s? This Charm is boring and mandatory, so I think it should at least be fairly strong.
      2. I'm not sure making the motes permanent is a good idea. I liked it on the Athletics Charms, but here I think it might be too good. This is close to an entry-level Charm, and it might give a strong mote-grinding advantage to any Solar fighting a Stealth-heavy fighter.
      3. Also, I just heard someone talking about how good the current SAM is in another thread. Although they were saying that they liked how it eventually made Indefinite Awareness Charms free, which you probably don't approve of.
      4. That sidebar is a good idea. Unfortunately, it kinda makes Keen X Technique pointless. Or maybe it just reveals their existing pointlessness. Woo, minor dice bonuses... I'm not sure how this can be fixed. Maybe make the bonuses huge, but have them only apply to certain rolls?
      5. Kinda bugs me that this encourages you to close your eyes right before a fight starts. That's just weird. And the anti-synergy with Awakening Eye is irritating too.
      6. "ane" opponent should probably be "one" opponent. Anyway, this feels weak to me. The canon version does too, but this is even weaker. 4m to get one success for every 18 dice...it's a little better with some kind of doubler, but only a little.
      7. Would be cool if this worked for negative Intimacies too. So you can hear it when your hated enemy threatens you from afar.
      8. I'm not sure this should cancel transformations. Feels kinda lame if a Lunar turns into Godzilla and you shut them down by looking at them really hard. Maybe the true form could just become obvious?
      1. Where'd disappearing 6s come from? Let's make it a bit stronger though, right. Double 8s, here we come (along with trimming some more dull dice adders later in the tree).
      2. Temporary motes are annoying though, and not really that much worse. Weakening a permanent, no cost mote regen charm does seem fair though, so 10s only. Still feels strong enough to me with that nerf.
      3. Eh. I follow a couple of general principles - charms should not introduce additional state to track if they can avoid it, and SAM definitely can. I should be able to look at active charms and count committed motes, not need to write the current cost alongside each one. (I feel the same about XP, and there'll be no charms with XP costs anywhere in these trees, but that's a different topic entirely)
      4. I wish there'd been a list like this in the Ability descriptions for every ability! Wouldn't that highlight how much of the charms chapter is just unnecessary. I like crunchy systems, but geeze, 500+ charms... Anyway, I'm just cutting a bunch of the charms here, we'll see how it feels afterwards.
      5. Let's just simplify it a bit, and cut the charm it was competing with.
      6. Removed entirely.
      7. Yeah, good call. Also love your Voldamort upgrade idea. So perfect. Even the mundane uses are neat. "General Sunshine! The Dragons will soon engage the Chaotic army..."
      8. Agreed. I copied that bit from core, didn't really think about it much.

I want to add an Aragorn charm - ear to the ground, listen for 5min, hear events up to (Essence x 5) miles away. Any ideas for a name?

Also want to add a charm that lets you make a clash with someone who surprise attacks you. Because that's a cool thing to do. That needs a name too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueWinds View Post
        Really, this tree should be evaluated on its own merit. It's not that closely related to the one from the book anymore.
        It looks much better, if you ask me.

Keen Sense Technique
        Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Awareness 3, Essence 1
        Type: Reflexive
        Keywords: None
        Duration: Indefinite
        Prerequisite Charms: Sensory Acuity Prana

When the Solar purchases this charm, choose Sight, Hearing, or Smell, Taste and Touch. The Solar gains an additional (Perception) dice an any Awareness roll involving the chosen sense (or all three of them).

With an Essence 2+ repurchase, the Solar gains an additional (Essence) bonus dice.
        With an Essence 3+ repurchase, the bonus applies to all the listed senses.
        I'm not thrilled by making these just indefinite Excellencies, but...this is probably the best we can hope for.

Eyeless Harbinger Awareness
        Cost: 3m; Mins: Awareness 3, Essence 1
        Type: Supplemental
        Duration: One scene
        Prerequisite Charms: Sensory Accuity Prana

This Charm supplements a Join Battle roll when at least one enemy is within Short range. It gains disappearing 1s and 2s, and if not already aware, the Solar learns the general size, shape and direction of her foe.
        Typo: there's only one c in Acuity.

This definitely isn't useless. I actually think it might be too good: when you're using Awakening Eye and Sensory Acuity Prana, it can be about five successes for three motes. (21 dice with exploding 10s and double 8s is about 7/9*21=16.3ish, 21 dice with exploding 10s, disappearing 1s and 2s, and double 8s is about 7/7*21=21 on average).

Maybe remove the range limitation and just make 1s disappear?

Knowing Beyond SIlence
        Cost: 4m; Mins: Awareness 4, Essence 2
        Keywords: Mute
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: Surprise Awareness Method

This charm supplements any Awareness roll that the Solar's allies are making at the same time other than Join Battle. Her allies may use her result if it's better than theirs.
        Typo: the second letter in Silence shouldn't be capitalized.

Did I mention I took the wp cost out of here? I did, anyway. With that done, I think it's good enough as is. Will await someone actually buying the charm tree in a game to tell me if it felt like a waste or not.
        It doesn't look like a waste to me. It's not knocking my socks off, but it's more successes and people doing feats of strength need a lot of those.

1. Where'd disappearing 6s come from? Let's make it a bit stronger though, right. Double 8s, here we come (along with trimming some more dull dice adders later in the tree).
        Sensory Acuity Prana gives disappearing 6s in canon if you have Unsurpassed Something Discipline up.

Anyway, new version looks good. Boring and mandatory is a lot more palatable if it's really powerful.

7. Yeah, good call. Also love your Voldamort upgrade idea. So perfect. Even the mundane uses are neat. "General Sunshine! The Dragons will soon engage the Chaotic army..."
        Hey, is that a HPMOR reference?

Anyway, I'm glad you like the idea. Now that I've had a bit more time to think about it, I think there should be a note saying that this isn't an unheard of (no pun intended) ability. Sidereals and Wyld Hunt members sometimes "superstitiously" refuse to use the names of the Solars they're hunting. Half the fun is making people fear your name, after all.

A note about what happens if your name is common is probably a good idea, too.

I want to add an Aragorn charm - ear to the ground, listen for 5min, hear events up to (Essence x 5) miles away. Any ideas for a name?

Also want to add a charm that lets you make a clash with someone who surprise attacks you. Because that's a cool thing to do. That needs a name too.
        The One Ring RPG calls it Rumour Of The Earth, which sounds good to me.

Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke.

Sight Without Eyes
        Cost: 1m; Mins: Archery 3, Essence 1
        Prerequisite Charms: Wise Arrow

This charm supplements an Archery attack, allowing the Exalt ignores all penalties for visual conditions. Smoke, fog, and pitch darkness don't hinder her, though other factors such as high winds and cover still apply against the attack.

At Archery 5+, Essence 3+, she can momentarily see through cover, perceiving her targets as silhouettes the colors of bright anima.
        Typo: should be "allowing the Exalt to ignore".

EX3 Craft Rewrite

Sanctaphrax is not a person
        -Chejop Kejak

Comment

It looks much better, if you ask me.
          I'm not thrilled by making these just indefinite Excellencies, but...this is probably the best we can hope for.
          A lot of the special things people do with Awareness in media seem predicated on /always/ having lots of successes. Like, Daredevil is not paying for charms literally every action he takes, it's just a state of being. I've noticed that tendency in my characters as well - a lot of the cooler moments come from simply having supernatural hearing in low-intensity situations I wouldn't normally bother to activate a charm. I was uncertain at first too, but sitting on it overnight I like this version pretty well.

Typo: there's only one c in Acuity.

This definitely isn't useless. I actually think it might be too good: when you're using Awakening Eye and Sensory Acuity Prana, it can be about five successes for three motes. (21 dice with exploding 10s and double 8s is about 7/9*21=16.3ish, 21 dice with exploding 10s, disappearing 1s and 2s, and double 8s is about 7/7*21=21 on average).

Maybe remove the range limitation and just make 1s disappear?
          I like the range limitations - feels like it gives it a bit more flavor than just generic dice boost. It's hard to have an intuitive sense for how all the various dice tricks add up - sometimes I'm surprised how useless piling on another effect is, other times I'm amazed how quickly they add together. But that seems reasonable, for 13m 1wp? Sure 5m of that is for a scene-long charm, but that's still a good portion of your mote pool, plus a 1wp.

Also, the range limitation encourages Solar assassins to be up close and personal. I'd rather encourage that than an archer sitting at Extreme range.

Typo: the second letter in Silence shouldn't be capitalized.

Hey, is that a HPMOR reference?
          *^^*

Anyway, I'm glad you like the idea. Now that I've had a bit more time to think about it, I think there should be a note saying that this isn't an unheard of (no pun intended) ability. Sidereals and Wyld Hunt members sometimes "superstitiously" refuse to use the names of the Solars they're hunting. Half the fun is making people fear your name, after all.

A note about what happens if your name is common is probably a good idea, too.
          Is it really widely known? IE, an E5 upgrade at the end of a tree... it may have been a really long time since it was last used. If the Solar wants to make people fear their name, that sounds like a great goal, but I'm not sure it needs to be generically in the fluff.

Note added about "if your name is common" though.

The One Ring RPG calls it Rumour Of The Earth, which sounds good to me.

Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke.

Typo: should be "allowing the Exalt to ignore".
          I was feeling particularly uncreative last night, and those are good names. Also added Knowing Beyond Silence, unrelated to the old charm of that name.

For Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke, note that there's no restrictions on combining charms across abilities in this version of the charm rules - every supplemental charm says explicetly what it can supplement. If you're making an Archery attack, you can supplement it with Archery charms even if the action was created with Awareness. This rewrite is meant to work alongside my changes to character advancement, which I haven't yet posted anywhere, the relevant bit here being that Martial Arts cannot be purchased with Solar XP.

Comment

Just so we don't get stuck on Awareness for too long (by all means we can continue discussing), here's Brawl. Brawl is huge. So many charms. I've cut a few, but in general am more hesitant to mess with combat trees than non-combat ones, since they seem to have been balanced more carefully.

Brawl

Fists of Iron Technique
            Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 1, Essence 1
            Type: Supplemental (Instant)
            Prerequisite Charms: None

This Charm supplements a bare-handed Brawl parry or attack. The Exalt may parry lethal damage, or deal deal lethal damage on a decisive attack.

On a withering attack, she ignores (Essence + strength of a relevant Intimacy) soak. A relevant Intimacy might be a Tie (as the Solar strikes a hated enemy or defends a beloved friend) or a Principle (as the Solar exults in the thrill of violence, for example).

Iron Battle Focus
            Cost: 3m; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1
            Type: Supplemental (One Turn)
            Prerequisite Charms: Fists of Iron Technique

This charm supplements any defense. Until the Solar's next turn, attacks (including this one) do not increase her onslaught penalty.

Ferocious Jab
            Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1

This Charm supplements a Brawl attack, adding (Target's onslaught penalty + 1) damage.

Wind and Stones Defense
            Cost: 3m; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 1
            Keywords: Advantage
            Prerequisite Charms: Ferocious Jab

This charm supplements any defense, adding the Solar's foe's current onslaught penalty to her Dodge or Parry.

Heaven Thunder Hammer
            Cost: 7m; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1

This charm supplements a decisive Brawl damage roll. Her target is knocked prone by the force of the blow, and loses a point of Initiative. She gains 1i after her Initiative resets. If the damage roll scored at least two successes, the opponent is hurled into an object or surface within close range, hitting it with an impact equivalent to falling a short distance , destroying wooden furniture or the like he collides with.

At four or more successes, the foe either hits something at close range, suffering damage as though falling from a medium height, or knocked back to short range, suffering falling damage as though from a short distance.

At Essence 3+, double the successes for determining effects of this charm.

Moving a Tyrant lizard or other such massive target requires an appropriate feat of strength.

Vicious Lunge
            Type:Supplemental (Instant)

This charm supplements a grapple gambit, adding one automatic success to the attack roll and (Essence or three, whichever is greater) dice to the Initiative roll.

Unbreakable Grasp
            Cost: 2m per round preserved; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1
            Type: Reflexive (Instant)
            Prerequisite Charms: Vicious Lunge

The Solar may activate this charm when her clinch control is reduced by an incoming attack. For every 2m spent, she loses one fewer rounds of control.

Devil-Strangling Attitude
            Cost: —; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 1
            Type: Permanent

This charm allows the Solar to roll (Strength + Brawl) to attack with grapple gambits.

If she has Dexterity 5, the player may remove this charm from her character sheet for an XP refund.

Crashing Wave Throw
            Cost: 5m; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 1

This charm supplements a Throw. The damage pool is boosted by +2 damage per round of control forfeited by the throw, and the Exalt can throw her opponent up to short range. If she used Dragon Coil Technique to establish control, she may be able to hurl truly massive opponents at the Storyteller's discretion.

At Essence 3+, the Exalt may expend two or four rounds of control, decreasing the throw's damage, to throw a foe to medium or long range, forcing him to contend with short or medium distance falling damage (in addition to whatever he might land on).

Thunderclap Rush Attack
            Keywords: Attack-action

This charm may be activated any time a foe is at short range from the Solar. She immediately moves a single range band and makes a Brawl attack. The target cannot defend against the Solar's attack with a Clash unless he uses a Charm which grants him one.

At Brawl 5, Essence 3+, the character may add 1wp to the cost of this Charm to automatically strip (Essence) Initiative from her target and gain it herself before the attack is made.

This Charm can be used once per target per scene, but can be refreshed against a single target by crashing him.

Falling Hammer Strike
            Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 1
            Prerequisite Charms: Thunderclap Rush Attack

This Charm supplements any Brawl attack other than a grapple. Regardless of whether or not the attack hits, the target's onslaught penalty from the Solar does not clear on their next turn. Onlaught inflicted by other characters clears normally.

Reckless Fury Discard
            Cost: 3m, 1i; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
            Keywords: Post-roll
            Prerequisite Charms: Iron Battle Focus

This charm supplements any defense, raising the Solar's Parry or Evasion by the number of 1s in the attack roll.

Solar Cross-Counter
            Cost: 3m, 1i, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2:
            Keywords: Counterattack
            Prerequisite Charms: Reckless Fury Discard

This charm may be activated after the Solar has taken withering damage from an opponent at close range. She launches an immediate decisive Brawl attack with a base damage of the amount of withering damage she just took. This attack does not reset the Solar to base Initiative.

At Essence 3+, the Solar may replace the 1i cost with 1wp, allowing her to use it while at 0 or lower initiative.

Ox-Stunning Blow
            Cost: 4m, 1i, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 2
            Keywords: Withering

This charm supplements a withering Brawl attack. The Solar's blow gains one automatic success on the attack roll, (Essence) bonus dice to damage, and can only be soaked with the target's Stamina. However, she gains no initiative. Instead, roll that many dice, and the target takes a -(1/2 successes rolled) wound penalty until her Onslaught penalty from the Solar clears.

An Essence 3+ repurchase allows the Solar to gain the Initiative in addition to penalizing her opponent with rolled successes.

Burning Fist Burial
            Cost: 4m + 1m per die; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2

This charm supplements a decisive Brawl attack, adding extra successes from the attack roll to the damage roll at a rate of one mote per die.

Force-Rending Strike
            Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
            Prerequisite Charms: Effortless Armament Mastery, Ferocious Jab

The Lawgiver may use this charm when she's the target of a non-ranged decisive attack. She clashes it using Brawl.

If the she is wielding an improvised weapon she may reduce the cost of this charm by 4m if she discards her weapon afterwards. It's destroyed, dropped or flung as the Storyteller deems appropriate.

Blade-Rebuking Wrath
            Cost: 5m, 1i; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2
            Prerequisite Charms: Wind and Stones Defense

The Lawgiver may use this charm when she's the target of any non-ranged attack. She clashes it using Brawl. If she wins it does no damage, but knocks her opponent's weapon from his hand. For every three threshold successes, his weapon is hurled one range band.

Hammer on Iron Technique
            Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2
            Type: Simple (Instant)
            Prerequisite Charms: Falling Hammer Strike

The Solar makes a series of up to ([half Strength or Stamina, rounded up] - 1) decisive attacks against a single target, dividing her initiative evenly between them. For every blow that lands, the damage of the next is increased by the number of 10s in the previous damage roll.

With an Essence 3+ repurchase the Solar may make up to ([Strength or Stamina] +1) attacks, and each successful hit adds +1 bonus damage to all subsequent attacks.

One With Violence
            Cost: —; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2

Whenever the Exalt crashes an opponent with a Brawl or Martial Arts attack, she gains (Essence) extra initiative.

Dancing With Strife Technique
            Cost: 0m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Reckless Fury Discard

Once per scene when the Exalt takes no damage from an attack that rolls five or more successes, she may gain 1wp. This Charm can be reset when she has only one initiative and is targeted by a withering attack without crashing.

Knockout Blow
            Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Ox-Stunning Blow

The Solar makes a withering Brawl attack with double 9s, and adding (Essence) damage. If it does more damage than her opponent has remaining health levels, he is immediately knocked unconscious.

Knockout Blow can only be used once per scene, but can be reset when she has 3 or fewer Initiative and is targeted by a withering attack without crashing.

Adamantine Fists of Battle
            Cost: 4m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Burning Fist Burial

When this Charm supplements a bare-handed Brawl attack. If withering, it gains +(Strength) Overwhelming. If decisive, her damage is lethal has double 10s and exploding 10s.

With a repurchase the Solar may pay 2m, 1wp when she damages an opponent using this charm. Doing so extends the duration to "One Scene."

Fire-Eating Fist
            Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Force-Rending Strike

This Charm supplements a Brawl Clash. Each 1 rolled by the attacker grants the Solar's clash a bonus success.

If activated at the same time as Force-Rending Strike, she may use that charm to energy attacks from beyond close range, reducing the cost by 1wp. If she wins such a clash, she does no damage but her fist becomes wreathed in her attacker's Essence, enjoying (opponent's Essence) bonus attack and damage dice on her next attack.

At Essence 4+, this effect becomes stackable to a limit of (Stamina) stacks. In addition, the Exalt may treat any ranged attack as if they were elemental bolts for this charm.

River-Binding Wrath
            Cost: 4m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2

This Charm supplements a grapple attempt, granting both the attack roll and control roll disappearing 5s and 6s.

Wicked Dissolve Dust
            Prerequisite Charms: River-Binding Wrath, Intercepting Fury Smite

The Solar may use this charm when she's in control of a clinch and is the target of a decisive attack. She clashes the attack using Brawl. If the clash succeeds, rather than doing damage to the attacker, the damage of the opponent's attack is transferred to her captive.

Dragon Coil Technique
            Cost: 3m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Type: Supplemental (Until end of clinch)
            Prerequisite Charms: Devil-Strangling Attitude

The Solar supplements a grapple gambit, granting (Essence) automatic successes to hit. On the control roll, she gains +1 success for each 10 her opponent rolls. In addition, her withering and decisive savaging attacks and slams enjoy (Essence) bonus dice of damage.

This charm may instead supplement a defense against a grapple. It grants no bonus successes in this use, but if she wins the roll she can take control of the grapple rather than merely escaping.

Finally, Dragon Coil Technique allows the Solar to grapple characters of prodigious size — tyrant lizards, river dragons, siaka and similarly sized beasts are valid targets for the her grasp.

Titan-Straightening Method
            Cost: 7m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Dragon Coil Technique

The Solar immediately expends all remaining turns of control in a grapple and makes an equal number of withering savaging Brawl attacks.

Shockwave Technique
            Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Crashing Wave Throw

This charm supplements a Throw, allowing the Solar to toss her target out to short range (or further, if combined with Crashing Wave Throw), and grants 2 extra damage dice per round of control forfeited. In addition, she makes a single withering Brawl attack, base damage 7, which applies to every opponent within short range of where her target lands. If the Solar is crashed when she uses this attack, she still damages each foe, but she only gains Initiative from a single target.

Shockwave Technique can be used once per combat. It can be reset by dealing 10+ health levels of damage on a single decisive Brawl attack.

Lightning Strikes Twice
            Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: Crashing Wave Throw, Heaven Thunder Hammer

After launching an opponent with one of the prerequisite Charms, the Solar immediately moves adjacent to her opponent to make an additional attack using any viable Ability, and may draw a weapon to do so. She may choose to cancel the falling damage or damage from impact with scenery to make it a surprise attack.

Using Lightning Strikes Twice replaces the Exalt's normal movement action. It can only be used once per combat, but can be reset by gaining 10+ Initiative on a single tick.

Striving Aftershock Method
            Cost: 2m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Prerequisite Charms: One With Violence

This charm supplements a decisive Brawl attack. The solar gains 2i after reseting to her base value.

Inevitable Victory Meditation
            Cost: 3m, 2i; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
            Type: Simple (One Scene)
            Prerequisite Charms: Striving Aftershock Method

The Solar rolls (Wits + Brawl) and stores the result. She can end the charm at any time to use this result in place of a Brawl roll, or to boost Parry or Evasion by 1/2 stored successes. At Essence 4+, the roll gains (Essence) automatic successes.

This may be activated as though it were Reflexive when the Solar beats all of her opponents in a Join Battle roll, or when she knocks an opponent prone.

Orichalcum Fists of Battle
            Cost: 3a; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4
            Type: Reflexive (One Scene)
            Prerequisite Charms: Adamantine Fists of Battle x2

This charm may only be used while Adamantine Fists of Battle is active in its scene-long variation. The Solar's fists glow gold-to-white and her Caste Mark shines brightly. Her decisive attacks ignore hardness, and her base Initiative is increased by one. When she is at base Initiative or lower, her decisive damage rolls gain disappearing 1s.

Incarnated Fury Attack
            Cost: 10m, 3a, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4
            Prerequisite Charms: Adamantine Fists of Battle

The Solar makes an unblockable, undodgeable withering Brawl attack against a crashed target with double 7s on the damage roll.

Raging Wrath Repeated
            Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4

If the Solar crashes an opponent she is clinching, she may activate this charm to immediately make a withering or decisive Brawl attack and reset all the rounds of control she had at the beginning of the clinch.

Rampage-Berserker Attack
            Cost: 7m, 3i, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4
            Prerequisite Charms: Hammer on Iron Technique

The Solar makes a Brawl based withering attack, but instead of adding threshold successes for damage, she multiplies her post soak damage by them.

This attack may only be used once per scene, but if can be reset if the Solar incapacitates a powerful or impressive opponent.

Supremacy of War Meditation
            Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4
            Prerequisite Charms: Inevitable Victory Meditation

Once per scene when the Lawgiver's anima is at the iconic level, she may supplement a roll or static value with a free full Brawl Excellency. This Charm is reset each time the Solar returns to the dim level.

Heaven Fury Smite
            Cost: 0m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 5
            Prerequisite Charms: Rampage-Berserker Attack

This charm can be used when the Lawgiver lands a Brawl attack that crashes her target. She immediately launches a decisive attack against the crashed opponent with any viable Ability, and she may draw a weapon to make it.

Removed charms
            • Sledgehammer Fist Punch - I really can't tell what this charm is supposed to be doing. It seems more like a stunt, rather than a thing I should need to spend XP on.
            • Oak Curling Clinch - Cut for space, and because, as far as I've heard from real play / seen in the rules, clinches are already brutal enough.
            • Burning Proof of Authority - Too much "magic", not enough "being good at brawling" for my tastes. Also space.
            • Cancel the Apocalypse - No, charms are expressions of skill, not spells which can be ripped away. Do not want.
            • Intercepting Fury Smite - Moved to be a secondary effect of Force-Rending Strike.
            • Rapturous Cradle - Removed its prereq already. Too much rules weirdness here.
            • Ten Calamities Technique - Removed for space. Also, how much more screwed do grappled people really need to be?
            • Fivefold Fury Onslaught - Moved to be repurchase of Hammer on Iron Technique.
            • Superior Violent Knowledge - Would you believe an E3 speedbump? Boring and not very good, though I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.
            • Apocalypse Flare Attack - No energy blasts, please. This is not Solar, and is a Thrown charm even if I liked it.
            • Ascendant Battle Visage - I know people like this, but I do not, and I will not be convinced to put it back in the rewrite. In addition to being about four charms in one, it's just not the sort of pulpy flavor I want for Solars.
            Last edited by BlueWinds; 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

A lot of the special things people do with Awareness in media seem predicated on /always/ having lots of successes. Like, Daredevil is not paying for charms literally every action he takes, it's just a state of being. I've noticed that tendency in my characters as well - a lot of the cooler moments come from simply having supernatural hearing in low-intensity situations I wouldn't normally bother to activate a charm. I was uncertain at first too, but sitting on it overnight I like this version pretty well.
              Makes sense.

From what Holden's said, they wanted to make Solar Awareness vs Solar Stealth into an interesting fight. From the looks of things, you've abandoned that goal; when the Awareness guy has powerful scene-length or Indefinite bonuses, they're gonna crush a Stealth guy who tries multiple surprise attacks in mote efficiency. I don't actually have a problem with that, but I think it's worth thinking about.

I like the range limitations - feels like it gives it a bit more flavor than just generic dice boost. It's hard to have an intuitive sense for how all the various dice tricks add up - sometimes I'm surprised how useless piling on another effect is, other times I'm amazed how quickly they add together. But that seems reasonable, for 13m 1wp? Sure 5m of that is for a scene-long charm, but that's still a good portion of your mote pool, plus a 1wp.
              It feels like too much to me. But I'm no balance guru.

Here's how I think about dice tricks: most dice tricks add successes/die (TN reduction, double Xs) or dice/die (exploding Xs, disappearing Xs). You can express the average successes per die as a fraction, with the first type of trick determining the numerator and the second determining the denominator.

The first type stacks linearly with itself: double 9s is +0.2 successes per die, double 10s is +0.1 successes per die. The second type doesn't: one disappearing number is 0.555... extra successes per die (when 10s are doubled) but two disappearing numbers are 0.125 extra successes per die. And the second type doesn't stack linearly with the first type either. If you've got double 7s, one disappearing number gives 0.888... successes per die instead of 0.555... successes per die.

The short version: disappearing and exploding numbers compound the effects of other dice tricks.

Is it really widely known? IE, an E5 upgrade at the end of a tree... it may have been a really long time since it was last used. If the Solar wants to make people fear their name, that sounds like a great goal, but I'm not sure it needs to be generically in the fluff.

Note added about "if your name is common" though.
              It might be widely known or not, depending on accidents of history. If it got used in a famous way people know it, but if it didn't they don't. I suggested that because I think it'd play out more interestingly if it was a known ability to some enemies, not for IC likeliness reasons.

For Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke, note that there's no restrictions on combining charms across abilities in this version of the charm rules - every supplemental charm says explicetly what it can supplement. If you're making an Archery attack, you can supplement it with Archery charms even if the action was created with Awareness. This rewrite is meant to work alongside my changes to character advancement, which I haven't yet posted anywhere, the relevant bit here being that Martial Arts cannot be purchased with Solar XP.
              I'm a bit mystified by the way Solar XP works, honestly. Apparently many of the limitations on martial arts are required to prevent buying Charms with Solar XP from being overpowered. It really seems like they're solving the wrong problem.

I think Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke is probably too strong. When it applies, it's better than Fervent Blow. And it actually makes surprise attacks into a disadvantage. Much as I like the idea, it just seems too strong.

Anyway, I have a few Awareness Charms half-written in my head. Should I post them here?

Will comment on Brawl next post.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

From what Holden's said, they wanted to make Solar Awareness vs Solar Stealth into an interesting fight. From the looks of things, you've abandoned that goal; when the Awareness guy has powerful scene-length or Indefinite bonuses, they're gonna crush a Stealth guy who tries multiple surprise attacks in mote efficiency. I don't actually have a problem with that, but I think it's worth thinking about.
                The assassin can be really dangerous to the rest of the party, but I'd think a specialized defense - ie, awareness - should beat the equivalent offense. IE, the stealthy ninja is dangerous enough against the rest of the circle, they don't need to be a valid threat against the guy who bought Perception 5 and some Awareness charms (and even then they /can/ be a threat, they're just at a mote disadvantage).

It feels like too much to me. But I'm no balance guru.

Here's how I think about dice tricks: most dice tricks add successes/die (TN reduction, double Xs) or dice/die (exploding Xs, disappearing Xs). You can express the average successes per die as a fraction, with the first type of trick determining the numerator and the second determining the denominator.

The first type stacks linearly with itself: double 9s is +0.2 successes per die, double 10s is +0.1 successes per die. The second type doesn't: one disappearing number is 0.555... extra successes per die (when 10s are doubled) but two disappearing numbers are 0.125 extra successes per die. And the second type doesn't stack linearly with the first type either. If you've got double 7s, one disappearing number gives 0.888... successes per die instead of 0.555... successes per die.

The short version: disappearing and exploding numbers compound the effects of other dice tricks.
                Right. It mostly came about when I was trying to make Craft run right, before I decided your version was better. Agreed this is probably too good, now that I have time to think about it more.

It might be widely known or not, depending on accidents of history. If it got used in a famous way people know it, but if it didn't they don't. I suggested that because I think it'd play out more interestingly if it was a known ability to some enemies, not for IC likeliness reasons.

I'm a bit mystified by the way Solar XP works, honestly. Apparently many of the limitations on martial arts are required to prevent buying Charms with Solar XP from being overpowered. It really seems like they're solving the wrong problem.
                Exactly. It's... I just don't get it. So I'm going to fix what looks like the right problem (Solar XP -> Martial Arts), and if it turns out to still be an issue somehow, MA charms are the place to fix it, not the core rules.

I think Vigilant Warrior's Counterstroke is probably too strong. When it applies, it's better than Fervent Blow. And it actually makes surprise attacks into a disadvantage. Much as I like the idea, it just seems too strong.

Anyway, I have a few Awareness Charms half-written in my head. Should I post them here?
                Sure, feel free. No promise I'll adopt them, of course - as you've seen, I have Important Opinions. :laughs self deprecatingly:

I'd balanced it around one of the Brawl charms which doesn't cost wp, but yeah, I see what you mean. I'll make it 1/scene - flavor-wise it's meant to intercept the first blow, not be spamable.

Comment

Heaven Thunder Hammer
                  Cost: 7m; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1
                  Keywords: Decisive, Post-roll

After a decisive Brawl attack rolls damage, the Solar may supplement it with this charm. Her target is knocked prone by the force of the blow, and loses a point of Initiative. She gains 1i after her Initiative resets.

If the damage roll scored at least two successes, the opponent is hurled into an object or surface within close range, hitting it with an impact equivalent to falling a short distance , destroying wooden furniture or the like he collides with.

At four or more successes, the foe either hits something at close range, suffering damage as though falling from a medium height, or knocked back to short range, suffering falling damage as though from a short distance.

At Essence 3+, double the successes for determining the distance the victim is hurled.

Unless the Solar is extremely physically strong, Heaven Thunder Hammer will only send a tyrant lizard or other giant opponent crashing into scenery at close range. Consider the Feats of Strength rules for what might be appropriate for larger foes.
                  I think the canon version is supposed to be declared after hitting, but before rolling damage.

Not sure if there's much point to the Essence 3+ upgrade now that you've dialed down the maximum impact.

Vicious Lunge
                  Type:Supplemental

This Charm supplements a grapple gambit, adding one automatic success to the attack roll, and (Essence or three, whichever is greater) dice to the Initiative roll.
                  Second comma is bugging me.

Unbreakable Grasp
                  Cost: 2m per round preserved; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 1

This charm supplements any defense when the Exalt's clinch control is reduced by incoming attacks. For every 2m spent, she loses one fewer rounds of control.
                  I think this worked better as a Reflexive Charm. If it's Supplemental, doesn't that mean you need to pay to ignore rounds lost to damage before you know whether you'll be damaged?

Thunderclap Rush Attack

This charm may be activated any time a foe is at short range from the Solar. She immediately moves a single range band and makes an attack. The target can not use defend against the Solar's attack with a Clash unless he's using a Charm with the Clash keyword.

At Brawl 5, Essence 3+, the character may add 1wp to the cost of this Charm to automatically strip (Essence) Initiative from her target and gain it herself before the attack is made.

This Charm can be used once per target per scene, but can be refreshed against a single target by crashing him.
                  Typo: "target can not use defend against" is wrong.

Also, it kinda looks like I can use this to move a range band back and make an Archery attack. Should probably clarify that.

Falling Hammer Strike
                  Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 1
                  Prerequisite Charms: Thunderclap Rush Attack

This Charm supplements any non-ranged attack other than a grapple. Regardless of whether or not the attack hits, the target's onslaught penalty from the Solar does not clear on their next turn. Onlaught inflicted by other characters clears normally.
                  Bit nervous about making this multi-ability. Seems like the kind of effect that could get out of hand.

Reckless Fury Discard
                  Cost: 3m, 1i; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
                  Prerequisite Charms: Iron Battle Focus

This charm supplements any defense, raising the Solar's Parry or Evasion by a number equal to the 1s in the attack roll.
                  Should probably say "equal to the number of 1s in the attack roll".

Ox-Stunning Blow
                  Cost: 4m, 1i, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 2
                  Keywords: Withering

This charm supplements a withering Brawl. The Solar's blow gains one automatic success on the attack roll, (Essence) bonus dice to damage, and can only be soaked with the target's Stamina. However, she gains no initiative. Instead, roll that many dice, and for every two success the target suffers an additional -1 onslaught penalty.

An Essence 3+ repurchase allows the Solar to gain the Initiative in addition to penalizing her opponent with rolled successes.
                  Should say "a withering Brawl attack".

I don't really like the idea of making the penalty defense-only. Seems dubious flavourwise.

Force-Rending Strike
                  Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
                  Keywords: Clash, Decisive

This charm gives the Lawgiver a chance to Clash a non-ranged decisive attack.

At Essence 3+, if the Solar is wielding an improvised weapon she may reduce the cost of this charm by 4m if she discards her weapon afterwards, destroyed or dropped, as the Storyteller deems appropriate.
                  Does this remove the initiative cost for using an improvised weapon?

Which reminds me: if we want using improvised weapons to be a non-terrible idea, we need some kind of improvised weapon Charm.

Blade-Rebuking Wrath
                  Cost: 5m, 1i; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2
                  Keywords: Clash, Attack-action
                  Prerequisite Charms: Wind and Stones Defense

This charm gives the Lawgiver a chance to Clash any non-ranged attack. If she wins it does no damage, but knocks her opponent's weapon from his hand. For every three threshold successes, his weapon is hurled an extra range band.
                  If I only get one threshold success, then is the weapon knocked one range band or none?

"Extra" seems to imply one. Had this problem with canon too.

Hammer on Iron Technique
                  Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2
                  Type: Simple

The Solar makes a series of up to ([half Strength or Stamina, rounded up] + 1) decisive attacks against a single target, each of them dealing (Solar's Initiative / attacks) raw damage, rounded up. For every blow that lands, the damage of the next is increased by the number of 10s in the previous damage roll.

With an Essence 3+ repurchase the Solar may make up to ([Strength or Stamina] +1) attacks, and each successful hit adds +1 bonus damage to all subsequent attacks.
                  Iron Whirlwind Attack has some very specific text regarding Initiative resets and the consequences of missing. I've heard it said that Hammer On Iron Technique is supposed to work different, because it doesn't. What's your take?

Knockout Blow
                  Cost: 5m, 1wp, +1i per die; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
                  Prerequisite Charms: Ox-Stunning Blow

The Solar makes a withering Brawl attack with double 9s. If it hits, she may spend initiative to increase damage by the same amount, no more than doubling it. If this attack crashes her opponent, he is immediately knocked unconscious.

Knockout Blow can only be used once per scene, but can be reset when she has 3 or fewer Initiative and receives a withering attack without crashing.
                  This struck me as overpowered in canon. And you've made it stronger. I don't think this is a good idea.

Adamantine Fists of Battle
                  Prerequisite Charms: Burning Fist Burial

When this Charm supplements a bare-handed withering Brawl attack, giving +(Strength) Overwhelming. If supplementing a decisive attack, her damage is lethal has double 10s and exploding 10s.

With a repurchase the Solar may pay 2m, 1wp when she damages an opponent using this charm. Doing so extends the duration to "One Scene."

With an Essence 4+ repurchase she may also pay a 3a while activating the scene-long version of this charm. For the rest of the scene, her decisive attacks ignore hardness, and her base Initiative is increased by one. In addition, when she is at base Initiative or lower, her decisive damage rolls gains (Essence) bonus dice, disappearing 1s and exploding 10s. While this version of the Charm is active, the Solar's fists glow gold-to-white and her Caste Mark shines brightly.
                  Interesting choice with the repurchase, there.

I don't think making Orichalcum Fists Of Battle so much stronger is a good idea.

River-Binding Wrath
                  Cost: 2m or 4m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 2

For 2m, this Charm enhances a grapple attempt or the control roll, granting it disappearing 5s and 6s. For 4m, it enhances both rolls.
                  This bugged me in canon too, but why would I spend 4m to boost attack and control rolls when I could spend 2m on the attack roll, check to see if I hit, and then spend 2m more to boost the control roll if I did?

Titan-Straightening Method
                  Cost: 7m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3

The Solar immediately expends all remaining turns of control in a grapple and makes an equal number of withering savaging Brawl attacks.
                  Why'd you remove the bit about grappling the truly massive? I liked that bit.

Shockwave Technique
                  Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
                  Prerequisite Charms: Crashing Wave Throw

This charm supplements a Throw, allowing the Solar to toss her target out to short range (or further, if combined with Crashing Wave Throw), and grants 4 extra damage dice per round of control forfeited. In addition, she makes a single withering Brawl attack, base damage 7, which applies to every opponent within short range of where her target lands. If the Solar is crashed when she uses this attack, she still damages each foe, but she only gains Initiative from a single target.

Shockwave Technique can be used once per combat. It can be reset by dealing 10+ health levels of damage on a single decisive Brawl attack.
                  If you're trying to reduce the screwed-ness of the grappled, I think this might be a good Charm to change. Sure, you've weakened it a bit by not knocking people prone. But using it with Crashing Wave Throw still gives you +(7 x remaining rounds of control) decisive damage. That's basically instant death.

Lightning Strikes Twice
                  Cost: 1m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 3
                  Prerequisite Charms: Crashing Wave Throw, Heaven Thunder Hammer

After launching an opponent with one of the prerequisite Charms, the Solar immediately moves adjacent to her opponent to make an additional attack using any Ability, and may draw a weapon to do so. She may choose to cancel the falling damage or damage from impact with scenery. If she does, the attack she makes is a surprise attack.

Using Lightning Strikes Twice replaces the Exalt's normal movement action. It can only be used once per combat, but can be reset by gaining 10+ Initiative on a single tick.
                  Wow, this got a lot simpler.

I doubt trading falling damage for -2 defense will often be worthwhile, though. And "close" is probably better than "adjacent" in this system.

Raging Wrath Repeated
                  Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4

If the Solar crashes an opponent she is clinching, she may activate this charm to immediately make an a withering or decisive Brawl attack, and reset all the rounds of control she had at the beginning of the clinch.
                  I don't think the second comma belongs there.

Also, "an a withering" has an extra "an".

Supremacy of War Meditation
                  Cost: 0m; Mins: Brawl 5, Essence 4
                  Prerequisite Charms: Inevitable Victory Meditation

Once per scene when the Lawgiver is at iconic anima level, she may use a free full Brawl Excellency. This Charm is reset each time the Solar returns to the dim level.
                  "at iconic anima level" sounds off to me. Maybe "at the iconic anima level" would be better?

Removed charms[LIST][*]Sledgehammer Fist Punch - I really can't tell what this charm is supposed to be doing. It seems more like a stunt, rather than a thing I should need to spend XP on.[*]Burning Proof of Authority - Too much "magic", not enough "being good at brawling" for my tastes. Also space.[*]Intercepting Fury Smite - Moved to be a secondary effect of Force-Rending Strike.[*]Rapturous Cradle - Removed its prereq already. Too much rules weirdness here.[*]Superior Violent Knowledge - Would you believe an E3 speedbump? Boring and not very good, though I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.
                  Good calls, I think.

[LIST][*]Oak Curling Clinch - Cut for space, and because, as far as I've heard from real play / seen in the rules, clinches are already brutal enough.[*]Cancel the Apocalypse - No, charms are expressions of skill, not spells which can be ripped away. Do not want.[*]Ten Calamities Technique - Removed for space. Also, how much more screwed do grappled people really need to be?[*]Fivefold Fury Onslaught - Moved to be repurchase of Hammer on Iron Technique.[*]Orichalcum Fists of Battle - Moved to be Adamantine Fists of Battle repurchase.
                  These I'm more neutral on. Mostly in a shrug-shoulders way.

The only one I care about is Cancel the Apocalypse. I've got mixed feelings on it; it doesn't really fit the 3e Charm paradigm, but I like it anyway. Not sure what to do with it.

• Apocalypse Flare Attack - No energy blasts, please. This is not Solar, and is a Thrown charm even if I liked it.
                  • Ascendant Battle Visage - I know people like this, but I do not, and I will not be convinced to put it back in the rewrite. In addition to being about four charms in one, it's just not the sort of pulpy flavor I want for Solars.
                  These I don't really agree with. Goku is as much a Solar inspiration as Samson is. Fortunately they're both capstones, so they can go in or out by group preference.

I'm kinda puzzled by the "no energy blasts" thing. Solar Charms have always been full of energy blasts.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

I'd balanced it around one of the Brawl charms which doesn't cost wp, but yeah, I see what you mean. I'll make it 1/scene - flavor-wise it's meant to intercept the first blow, not be spamable.
                    Good call, I think.

Sure, feel free. No promise I'll adopt them, of course - as you've seen, I have Important Opinions. :laughs self deprecatingly:
                    These probably won't offend your not-too-gonzo preferences. Balance might be off though.

Curse-Catching Instinct
                    Cost: -; Mins: Awareness 3, Essence 2
                    Duration: Permanent
                    Prerequisite Charms: Surprise Anticipation Method

Whenever another character lays a curse upon the Solar or meddles with her fate, the Solar's player rolls (Perception + Awareness). They may not activate Charms to enhance this roll, but already-active Charms do apply to the roll. Keen Hearing Technique, notably, is applicable. 1 success lets the Solar know very vaguely what happened (for example, someone is meddling with your fate), 3 successes gives her a summary of what happened (Sidereal Astrology associated with The Sword is being used to make you more likely to fall ill), 5 successes tells her what happened in detail (Tekkip Nannaja, Chosen of Endings, is using Astrology associated with The Sword to increase the TN of your disease-resistance rolls to 9 until Calibration).

An enemy who knows that the Solar might notice him may attempt to perform his magic subtly. If he does so, he may roll an appropriate dice pool and subtract his successes from the Solar's successes.

Vigilant Friend Technique
                    Cost: 1m; Mins: Awareness 4, Essence 2
                    Duration: Indefinite
                    Prerequisite Charms: Surprise Anticipation Method

The Solar touches a willing character and commits a mote to him. As long as she keeps that mote committed, she may roll to notice whenever that character is put in danger. The difficulty of the roll depends on the distance to the character and the obviousness of the danger; to determine it, start with the difficulty that the endangered character would have to beat and add the cube root of the distance to them in miles rounded up.

Succeeding at this roll doesn't tell the Solar the details of the danger, but it lets her know who's in danger and where. If the character dies, the Solar automatically notices and knows where it happened.

It probably shouldn't actually use a cube root. But I think it's a good rule of thumb.

Warrior-Evaluating Glance
                    Cost: 4m; Mins: Awareness 4, Essence 1
                    Prerequisite Charms: Keen Sight Technique

This Charm supplements an attempt to size up another character. In addition to the information the Solar would normally receive, they receive additional knowledge based on the number of successes they roll. 1 success reveals the target's Strength, 2 successes reveals their Dexterity and Stamina, 3 successes reveals their Athletics and Resistance, 4 successes reveals their Melee, Brawl, Archery, Thrown, Dodge, and Martial Arts, and 5 successes reveals the specialties that they have on those Abilities. Further successes may reveal Merits or magical powers.

The Solar doesn't actually know the numerical ratings of a character's traits, but gets equivalent information from an in-character perspective.

This Charm isn't affected by mundane disguises. Some supernatural disguises, like Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise and Lunar shapeshifting and Sidereal resplendent destinies, allow their user to roll (Manipulation + Larceny) to oppose the Solar's (Perception + Awareness) roll. If the disguised character wins, the Solar determines the traits of their disguise rather than their true traits.

Fragility-Creating Examination
                    Cost: 5m; Mins: Awareness 5, Essence 2
                    Prerequisite Charms: Keen Sight Technique

This Charm supplements a feat of strength intended to break something. It allows the Solar to find weak points in the target before striking, rolling (Perception + Awareness) against a difficulty determined by how obvious the target's weak points are. Complex targets with obvious weak points, like clocks and statues, are difficulty 0. Simple targets, like walls and tree trunks, are difficulty 2. Targets which don't really have weak points, like giant cubes of forged steel, are difficulty 4. Each threshold success either reduces the strength minimum of the feat by half a point or adds a die to the Solar's roll.

Vulnerability-Seeking Stare
                    Cost: 5m; Mins: Awareness 5, Essence 2
                    Prerequisite Charms: Warrior-Evaluating Glance

This Charm supplements an Aim action. The Solar rolls (Perception + Awareness) against a difficulty of the targeted character's soak divided by 3. If the Solar succeeds, the attack enhanced by the Aim action is further improved. If withering, it halves soak from armour and doubles up to (threshold successes) threshold successes on the damage roll. If decisive, it ignores Hardness and adds up to (threshold successes) threshold successes to the damage roll.

Guard-Piercing Gaze
                    Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins: Awareness 5, Essence 3
                    Prerequisite Charms: Vulnerability-Seeking Stare

This Charm supplements an Aim action. The Solar rolls (Perception + Awareness) against a difficulty of the targeted character's Evasion or Parry. The target may use Charms to increase their Defense as though this were an attack; if the Solar succeeds, then when she makes an attack enhanced by the supplemented Aim action it's either undodgeable or unblockable (depending on which Defense they rolled to overcome).

If this Charm is used alongside its prerequisite, the Solar rolls only once.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

I post this whenever someone mentions improvised weapons:

Effortless Armament Mastery
                      Cost: 1m; Mins: Brawl 1, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
                      Anything will suffice as a weapon in the hands of the mighty. This charm removes the initiative cost for making attacks with improvised weapons. This charm explicitly functions with Melee and Thrown.

Comment

That doesn't look very worthwhile to me. Spending motes isn't always better than spending initiative, and anyway even for a Solar with that Charm improvised weapons are still strictly worse than normal weapons.

If that Charm permanently removed the initiative cost from improvised weapons for free, it still wouldn't be very powerful. But it might then be worth taking.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

I know what you mean, but I'm reluctant to completely write a mechanic out of the game like that. Still, if I were to make it a scene-long it would either be equally pointless or a de facto permanent.

Replacing the cost with -, and the duration/type with permanent is fairly simple though if you want a charm like this. There honestly isn't much else you can do, besides maybe making other charms to build off of it.

Comment

I think the canon version is supposed to be declared after hitting, but before rolling damage.

Not sure if there's much point to the Essence 3+ upgrade now that you've dialed down the maximum impact.
                            That makes sense! I didn't get that on my first read through. Will change. The upgrade still makes sense though, I think - imposing Medium falling damage (7 extra dice) after a far weaker attack (2 successes needed on your initiative roll rather than 4) is a pretty big boost. Only need ~5i rather than 10i to make it a genuine threat.

Second comma is bugging me.
                            I do seem to love those extra commas, don't I? Thanks for putting up with proofreading my stuff.

I think this worked better as a Reflexive Charm. If it's Supplemental, doesn't that mean you need to pay to ignore rounds lost to damage before you know whether you'll be damaged?
                            It had the post-roll keyword, but I'll clarify in the text. It's not reflexive though - it neither creates an action nor can it be activated at-will, which is how I've defined Reflexive. Supplemental means "modifying the result of an action in some way," which this is doing.

Typo: "target can not use defend against" is wrong.
                            Also, it kinda looks like I can use this to move a range band back and make an Archery attack. Should probably clarify that.

Bit nervous about making this multi-ability. Seems like the kind of effect that could get out of hand.
                            Whoops, both should specify which type of attack.

Should probably say "equal to the number of 1s in the attack roll".
                            Should say "a withering Brawl attack".
                            I don't really like the idea of making the penalty defense-only. Seems dubious flavourwise.
                            This was actually not an intentional change. ^^;
                            I've made it a wound penalty - if someone wants to heal it using Medicine charms, well, I think that's actually pretty neat!

Does this remove the initiative cost for using an improvised weapon?
                            Which reminds me: if we want using improvised weapons to be a non-terrible idea, we need some kind of improvised weapon Charm.
                            I like Effortless Armament Mastery from Gatts below. Clarified that yes it still costs initiative as normal.

If I only get one threshold success, then is the weapon knocked one range band or none?
                            "Extra" seems to imply one. Had this problem with canon too.
                            Good question. Clarified the way I think it should be, still not sure about canon.

Iron Whirlwind Attack has some very specific text regarding Initiative resets and the consequences of missing. I've heard it said that Hammer On Iron Technique is supposed to work different, because it doesn't. What's your take?
                            Urg. Iron Whirlwind seems sort of air-breathing mermaid to me, introducing a problem and solving it in the charm text.

I'll add a section to the basic charm rules about multi-attack charms, and I'm going to make them all work the same way. I feel like this could be made clearer, but not sure exactly how:

"If a charm grants a character multiple attacks, she doesn't reset or lose initiative until all of them are resolved. If any of the attacks hit, she resets to base initiative. If all of them miss, she loses initiative as if she'd missed with a single attack. Counterattacks may occur between the attacks, but the remaining ones will still occur unless the Solar is unable to make them (unconscious, disarmed, etc)."

This struck me as overpowered in canon. And you've made it stronger. I don't think this is a good idea.
                            I didn't mean to make it stronger, and agree that it's worrisome even as-is. How's the new version?

Interesting choice with the repurchase, there.
                            I don't think making Orichalcum Fists Of Battle so much stronger is a good idea.
                            You know, it kind of bothered me how good it was anyway. If I remove the (Essence) bonus dice, does that seem better? You still have base init 4, ignore hardness, and have disappearing 1s, double-10s and exploding 10s.

This bugged me in canon too, but why would I spend 4m to boost attack and control rolls when I could spend 2m on the attack roll, check to see if I hit, and then spend 2m more to boost the control roll if I did?
                            It doesn't have the post-roll keyword - you have to use it before you know if it hits. But let's still simplify by removing the 2m option.

Why'd you remove the bit about grappling the truly massive? I liked that bit.
                            Dragon Coil Technique already lets you grapple tyrant lizards. I don't really want it to go any bigger than that! Like, grappling Juggernaught is more silly than cool, IMO. Tastes may vary.

If you're trying to reduce the screwed-ness of the grappled, I think this might be a good Charm to change. Sure, you've weakened it a bit by not knocking people prone. But using it with Crashing Wave Throw still gives you +(7 x remaining rounds of control) decisive damage. That's basically instant death.
                            Ah yeah, let's cut that to +2 damage per round forfitted (for a total of +4 with CWT). Still seems like plenty of damage.

Wow, this got a lot simpler. I doubt trading falling damage for -2 defense will often be worthwhile, though. And "close" is probably better than "adjacent" in this system.

I don't think the second comma belongs there. Also, "an a withering" has an extra "an".

"at iconic anima level" sounds off to me. Maybe "at the iconic anima level" would be better?
                            I'll leave the surprise option in there none the less, since it fits a lot of stunts well enough.

Those extra commas. I'll break that habit someday.

Good calls, I think.
                            These I'm more neutral on. Mostly in a shrug-shoulders way.
                            The only one I care about is Cancel the Apocalypse. I've got mixed feelings on it; it doesn't really fit the 3e Charm paradigm, but I like it anyway. Not sure what to do with it.
                            Hm. Maybe bring it back but only let it cancel Spells and Martial Arts Forms?

These I don't really agree with. Goku is as much a Solar inspiration as Samson is. Fortunately they're both capstones, so they can go in or out by group preference.
                            I'm kinda puzzled by the "no energy blasts" thing. Solar Charms have always been full of energy blasts.
                            Yep, they always have, and I have always not liked them. :P

Maybe you could make a "removed charms some people want in the setting" compendium? With a little "here's why BlueWInds removed them from her rewrite, talk with your storyteller before the game to see if they fit the style they want" blurb. I don't really want to maintain it, but I'll happily put a link in the OP of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                              I know what you mean, but I'm reluctant to completely write a mechanic out of the game like that. Still, if I were to make it a scene-long it would either be equally pointless or a de facto permanent.

Replacing the cost with -, and the duration/type with permanent is fairly simple though if you want a charm like this. There honestly isn't much else you can do, besides maybe making other charms to build off of it.
                              I'm not hesitant to write mechanics out of the game, permanent it is. Thanks for the idea - I shall add your name to the OP in a credits section, which I need to remake since the original got lost.

Comment

Urg. Iron Whirlwind seems sort of air-breathing mermaid to me, introducing a problem and solving it in the charm text.

I'll add a section to the basic charm rules about multi-attack charms, and I'm going to make them all work the same way. I feel like this could be made clearer, but not sure exactly how:

"If a charm grants a character multiple attacks, she doesn't reset or lose initiative until all of them are resolved. If any of the attacks hit, she resets to base initiative. If all of them miss, she loses initiative as if she'd missed with a single attack. Counterattacks may occur between the attacks, but the remaining ones will still occur unless the Solar is unable to make them (unconscious, disarmed, etc)."
                                Sounds good to me.

Would also be a good place to clarify what happens if your Initiative changes suddenly. Like...if I split my 12 Initiative into three 4-damage attacks, and my opponent uses Solar Dodge to steal one of my Initiative after dodging the first, what happens?

I didn't mean to make it stronger, and agree that it's worrisome even as-is. How's the new version?
                                Looks better. I'd want to try it (preferably both versions) in play before drawing conclusions, though.

Any particular reason for moving the double 9s from damage to accuracy?

You know, it kind of bothered me how good it was anyway. If I remove the (Essence) bonus dice, does that seem better? You still have base init 4, ignore hardness, and have disappearing 1s, double-10s and exploding 10s.
                                Dunno. I find this Charm hard to judge.

Might be better not to require the anima to be paid when activating Adamantine Fists of Battle, since AFoB is the kind of Charm you wanna use at the very start of a fight.

Dragon Coil Technique already lets you grapple tyrant lizards. I don't really want it to go any bigger than that! Like, grappling Juggernaught is more silly than cool, IMO. Tastes may vary.
                                They do.

Hm. Maybe bring it back but only let it cancel Spells and Martial Arts Forms?
                                That would be cool, but Sorcery seems to be hard to break this edition. Can't even use countermagic against complete spells anymore.

Breaking Forms is narrow, but might be enough for a Charm. It was a thing in 2e, after all.

Yep, they always have, and I have always not liked them. :P

Maybe you could make a "removed charms some people want in the setting" compendium? With a little "here's why BlueWInds removed them from her rewrite, talk with your storyteller before the game to see if they fit the style they want" blurb. I don't really want to maintain it, but I'll happily put a link in the OP of this thread.
                                I plan to use this rewrite once it's done, but I don't wanna leave out the DBZ stuff. So I probably will.

Anyway, I just noticed something. Devil-Strangling Attitude is required for Dragon Coil Technique, so most grapplers will want to take it at some point. But in this rewrite, Devil-Strangling Attitude does literally nothing if you have Dexterity 5. This seems like a problem.

PS: Any thoughts on those Awareness Charms I posted?

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Working...
                                X