Demons: What do they REALLY want?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrilliantRain
    started a topic Demons: What do they REALLY want?

Demons: What do they REALLY want?

One of the things I like best about Exalted is the really cool Demons. And one of the cool things about the Demons is that they all have their alien desires which are usually orthogonal to escaping hell. However, while the Demons likes and dislikes are fairly well documented, I'm finding myself at somewhat of a loss for turning those into actual plans, especially for 1st circle Demons (who should be different from the average of their type, if they're individualistic enough to make long term plans anyway).

So, tell me about various demonic plans your Demons and/or Sorcerers have devised. Tell me what schemes they've concocted. What is Mara doing right now and why? Are the people that Aluvia reshapes on her forge simply getting what they want or are they furthering her plans? If so, what are they? Has Octavian suborned his summoner, in order that he should have new opportunities for War?

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Thank you to everyone who posted some positive feedback about my scenarios. I was tidying up a couple of them to send to a friend who was running a game and decided to create a blog to host these and other game ideas. If you're interested, you'll find the link in my signature. So far there's only a couple of scenarios there, but as I have 3 games going at the moment, I expect to populate it fairly quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Korusef
    replied
    I am going to borrow this idea to fight Guild's drug trade.

Leave a comment:

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Do stomach bottle bugs not only consume toxins that are already inside of a person?

No - they can consume anything tainted or poisonous.

From BoS5:RoGD2

Stomach bottle bugs not busy with such work haunt the taverns of the Demon City and plead for entry in childlike voices. They sometimes manage to swarm the establishments, drinking the alcohol from every bottle and from within other demons. Many demons hate sesseljae for this and often kill them on sight.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Do stomach bottle bugs not only consume toxins that are already inside of a person?

Leave a comment:

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    They don't always act like individual, fully-realized people because they come from a society that goes out of its way to punish individuality in its lowest caste.

That could work as well, it's just not how I interpret demons in my games.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    They don't always act like individual, fully-realized people because they come from a society that goes out of its way to punish individuality in its lowest caste.

Leave a comment:

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Keep in mind, we humans are "fully realized people," but we're driven by things outside of mere personhood as well - we're pushed to find and consume food and drink, engage in mating, find a safe place to use the bathroom, and so on.

Having urges programmed into you doesn't make you less of a person, regardless of who or what did the programming.
    True, though when it comes to first circle demons I tend to reserve that depiction for demons that have achieved some sort of growth or status beyond their initial type. Default 1CDs I make a little less individual.

Kind of like the way the mountain folk are described.

Leave a comment:

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Especially after it eats enough to explode into more of them. And now there's no more alcohol in the area.
    And then the local lord/deity which a hedonistic bent amd lehendary temper announces a visit to the area and you suddenly have a life or death quest to find a decent quantity before the official party arrives

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Keep in mind, we humans are "fully realized people," but we're driven by things outside of mere personhood as well - we're pushed to find and consume food and drink, engage in mating, find a safe place to use the bathroom, and so on.

Having urges programmed into you doesn't make you less of a person, regardless of who or what did the programming.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

This goes back to the original question about what demons really want. Someone posted elsewhere on this thread that demons are like fully realised people. While I agree that 2nd and 3rd circle demons might be, first circle demons are more driven and consumed by the prime motivation that defines them. For a seeseljae, the motivation to consume toxins - especially when given such an open ended directive - could have some fun implications for the village.

Without being bound to a person, the sesseljae ruins the local brewers trade or tobacco farm. The medic who has some anaesthesia or other beneficial toxins is suddenly raided in the night by the hungry bug.

The social ramifications over time are not insignificant.
    Especially after it eats enough to explode into more of them. And now there's no more alcohol in the area.

Leave a comment:

• CapitanTypo
    replied
    Originally posted by Swooper View Post
    Yup, that's why I'm not particularly worried, but it got me wondering what sorts of things a rogue sesselja would do...
    This goes back to the original question about what demons really want. Someone posted elsewhere on this thread that demons are like fully realised people. While I agree that 2nd and 3rd circle demons might be, first circle demons are more driven and consumed by the prime motivation that defines them. For a seeseljae, the motivation to consume toxins - especially when given such an open ended directive - could have some fun implications for the village.

Without being bound to a person, the sesseljae ruins the local brewers trade or tobacco farm. The medic who has some anaesthesia or other beneficial toxins is suddenly raided in the night by the hungry bug.

The social ramifications over time are not insignificant.

Leave a comment:

• Swooper
    replied
    Yup, that's why I'm not particularly worried, but it got me wondering what sorts of things a rogue sesselja would do...

Leave a comment:

• Mechalith
    replied
    Originally posted by Swooper View Post
    The circle came to a supernaturally plagued village, while the party's Medicine supernal Twilight investigated the disease I (Dawn caste general/sorcerer) snuck off and summoned a sesselja, giving it the task of "clean up all the toxins in the village" without any further instructions (like "try to not be noticed" or something). Turns out there was a dragonblooded immaculate monk living in retirement in the village, thankfully he hasn't started asking any difficult questions yet.
    Sounds pretty harmless to me. The monk might end up wondering where it came from, but it isn't like he's gonna flip out and go all Torquemada on the village trying to figure out the culprit. Could easily have been a lost egg or mortal sorcerer or just a random escape from Malfeas.

Leave a comment:

• Swooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechalith View Post
    Now I'm curious... what'd you tell it to do?
    The circle came to a supernaturally plagued village, while the party's Medicine supernal Twilight investigated the disease I (Dawn caste general/sorcerer) snuck off and summoned a sesselja, giving it the task of "clean up all the toxins in the village" without any further instructions (like "try to not be noticed" or something). Turns out there was a dragonblooded immaculate monk living in retirement in the village, thankfully he hasn't started asking any difficult questions yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X