But what about Seduction ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
    How would you feel if it was double 9s and Intimacies you based seduction on counted as one level higher than normally instead?
    Then it'd fall somewhere between 'laying it on thick' and just being fucking legendarily alluring, at which point context of use would be the deciding factor in skeeviness.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
      The rapey thing is what I heard in my Male seductor thread a while back, the explaination for why people don't create those kind of character is that they are, well, kinda rapey.

Some people say that due to Charms, every time an Exalted or a magical being talk to a human the former is basically trying to rape the former.

I mean, I don't have much life experience, but does being talked to by a charismatic person considered attempt rape in the Western world ?
      Ah, thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I think we are talking past each other because of linguistic and cultural differences.

Some people probably WILL find male seducers inherently "rapey," in which case I think they should leave those types of characters out of their games. It strikes me as a bit hyper-sensitive, really. After all, the seven billion people on this world currently didn't get here by storks, and they didn't here by two humans happening to be horny at the same time.

But again, if people find that objectionable, they can just excise it.

And you can write your stories or play your games in whatever way you find interesting, or arousing, if that's your gig. I think the devs spent some effort in this edition to avoid the perception that social/sexual charms were inherently coercive. Some people can't really see magic as anything but a battering ram, though.

To answer your question about charismatic people being perceived as "rapey," I think the answer is a qualified "no." Western Society is in the midst of re-litigating our social assumptions and rules regarding romantic and sexual interaction. There is a great deal of thoughtful conversation and debate, and unfortunately perhaps a larger chunk of histrionic ranting, blame gaming, and shaming of various flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I think we are talking past each other because of linguistic and cultural differences.

Some people probably WILL find male seducers inherently "rapey," in which case I think they should leave those types of characters out of their games. It strikes me as a bit hyper-sensitive, really. After all, the seven billion people on this world currently didn't get here by storks, and they didn't here by two humans happening to be horny at the same time.

But again, if people find that objectionable, they can just excise it.

And you can write your stories or play your games in whatever way you find interesting, or arousing, if that's your gig. I think the devs spent some effort in this edition to avoid the perception that social/sexual charms were inherently coercive. Some people can't really see magic as anything but a battering ram, though.

To answer your question about charismatic people being perceived as "rapey," I think the answer is a qualified "no." Western Society is in the midst of re-litigating our social assumptions and rules regarding romantic and sexual interaction. There is a great deal of thoughtful conversation and debate, and unfortunately perhaps a larger chunk of histrionic ranting, blame gaming, and shaming of various flavors.
        (sorry for the spelling, English is not my first language)

I agree... in the end it's your game and your group. Mutual respect is the rule. That's why the Red Rule is present in the game and I respect the Devs the wisdom of adding it to the game. It's the ultimate safe guard for groups whole lack that aspect.

I never do PVP in my game so whatever charms used to kill or seduce is done in PVE (to use a midly MMO term). My group is well aware of that. My job as an ST is to make a game that is awesome for them. If they want to use charms to seduce an NPC I'm fine with that... I always have consequences. It's the same as violence and ultra violence when PCs kill NPCs... violence is violence with it's own ethical and moral (depending on the belief system) structure/consequence. I've had women play in my group and they always made sure that they were respected and never had any issues within the players.

So if I want to tell a story in the veins of the Berzerker manga, I'll give a head's up and ask permission... if the group is not in the mood then I'll do something else (tone it down and move on). It all depends on what type of story I want to tell and what type of story my players want to participate in...

I know that my play style might not be suited for some on this forum... that's cool. I might not like the style of your game (and the way you project your own beliefs in a Roleplaying Game,) and that's cool. I'm not gonna judge you for that and I expect the same thing in return.

Mutual respect between players and STs has stood the test of time for me (since V:the Masquarade 2nd edition) so I never had any problems with that aspect of the game.

When the players feel safe with one another and the ST really awesome stuff can happen RP wise!

So yeah.. we have Charms in the book that contain elements of romance/sex... as we have Charms that kill people stylishly. It is what it is... if you don't like it, don't use it. How simple is that? It doesn't break the game in my opinion!

My two cents,

Comment

Just my little two cents, but seduction its not sex. There is a issue of Hellblazer where Constantine seduces a monkey familiar (who may by a demon) to lure it into a river to drown it.

Translating that to exalted, i can see a solar who seduces one of the fair folk so that instead of praying into the people of the town he becomes his protector. With no sex or anthing else.

Comment

Working...
          X