Ex3 Thaumaturgy Rituals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers of the Sun (O)
    One who knows this ritual can pick a light-coloured flower - white, yellow or pale pink at the darkest - and whisper certain words over it (which one well-versed in ancient dialects of Old Realm might recognize as 'For your smile') before holding it up to present to the sun. If done right, the sun seems to brighten for the merest fraction of a moment and the flower answers, transforming into a five-petalled blossom of golden hue. It will wither like any other picked flower, but while it remains verdant it will glow like a candle in darkness and exudes a comforting warmth.

This gift appears occasionally among the children of An-Teng, particularly those who live in the highlands or close to the mountain atop which the Golden Lord dwells. Ancient tales say that it was first taught to a young girl in ancient days by a great hero who wished to see her smile. The Tengese regard those children who know this ritual as blessed by the Golden Lord and often send them to serve in the priesthood. The household which keeps a sun-flower in its ancestral shrine is considered to be under an auspice of good fortune.

Whispers Entrusted to the Waters (OO)
    A thaumaturge who knows this ritual knows the way of folding a message written on leaves or paper into a minute boat. She then whispers the name of the intended recipient into the little craft and sets it upon the waters of a river, canal, lake or other non-sea body of water, accompanied by a small offering of her own blood. So long as the recipient visits the body of water sometime in the next season they will unerringly receive the conveyed message, provided that they are downstream if the body of water is a flowing one.

This ritual appears throughout Creation in those who live on lakesides, riverbanks or along other waterways, most often to those in whose destiny is written some great destiny of love and separation. Many are the romantic legends in which lovers exchange messages via rivers, as are tragedies where a beloved recieves news of their love's death via a leaf-boat buoyed on flowing waters and stained with life-blood.

Tasting the Storm (O)
    When you live on an island or ply the waves, knowing when a storm is coming is essential knowledge, and for this reason those born with the gift of tasting storm-winds from afar are greatly valued across the West, where they are most often born, and beyond.

A storm-taster may sifts the air unconsciously throughout the day with a (Perception + Occult) roll, which is rolled upon waking, dawn or at some other early point in the day when the thaumaturge is exposed to the sky. For each success, he may taste a storm on its way one day ahead of its arrival by a metallic tang to the air. The storm-taster isn't aware of making an effort to taste the air - it's just a part of how he is. If he tastes a storm on the way, he may roll again against a Difficulty of 2 to ascertain the rough direction from which the storm will approach. He may only do so once per day, however.
    Last edited by ajf115; 07-06-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• How about a ritual that lets you boil water by praying at it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        How about a ritual that lets you boil water by praying at it?
        It sounds a little... straightforward to me. Too much like just a D&D-style cantrip. Any ideas for how to spice it up a little? Maybe there's some other ritual which just happens to be very useful for boiling water. Like maybe something to invoke the traces of fire-Essence in volcanic rock, heating it - which if you put it in a pot conveniently allows you to boil water.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
          It sounds a little... straightforward to me. Too much like just a D&D-style cantrip. Any ideas for how to spice it up a little? Maybe there's some other ritual which just happens to be very useful for boiling water. Like maybe something to invoke the traces of fire-Essence in volcanic rock, heating it - which if you put it in a pot conveniently allows you to boil water.
          Maybe take pieces of wood, arrange them in a shape around the pot, and then the water starts boiling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Maybe take pieces of wood, arrange them in a shape around the pot, and then the water starts boiling?
            Maybe it's to do with the container in which you boil the water? Maybe the ritualist knows a string of elegant but meaningless symbols which, if inscribed in a full circle around a container (e.g. a teapot, a cauldron etc) cause any water within to boil if a finger is wetted with the contents and traced over the ring? I kind of like the idea of the latter part of the ritual being able to be done by anyone, as it lets me make a potter NPC who makes a small fortune by making teapots that heat themselves.

EDIT: This totally isn't so I have backstory for why a random kingdom has a version of the tea ceremony, due to the reoccurrence of this ritual throughout its history.
            Last edited by ajf115; 07-05-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Name-Bound Venom (OO)
              A ritual that is the secret founding-technique of more than one order of assassins, Name-Bound Venom allows one who knows it to trace a specific name in Old Realm a thousand times upon the surface of a liquid (which does not have to be poisonous, despite the name). A brew thus prepared will impart any effect it might have only upon one who bears the name that has been worked into the liquid. The liquid will affect any who consider that name to be their own, irrespective of whether or not they are the one whom the venom was intended for.

Comment

• Does anyone have any ideas for an Oramaic-flavoured Thaumaturgy ritual, or something that interacts somehow with the Beyond?

Comment

• The latter seems like something way above the pay grade of Thaumaturgy to me. I'm not sure Oramus or Luna would bestow powers dealing with it to their chosen, nevermind regular folks in Creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                    The latter seems like something way above the pay grade of Thaumaturgy to me. I'm not sure Oramus or Luna would bestow powers dealing with it to their chosen, nevermind regular folks in Creation.
                    I didn't mean anything particularly direct. I'm trying to represent a person who saw Things Man Should Not Know and learned some secret from that, but I'm not sure what it should be.

Comment

• Maybe some minor prophecy and danger sense, but it has the possibility of being wildly wrong, so you end up screaming at nothing?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                      X