Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baaldam
    replied
    Just had this silly idea, inspired by omnipresence of identical-looking quest-giver/healer sisters in a number of videogames (nurse Joy & officer Jenny being the ur-examples that actually joke with it), of a thaumaturgical ritual: Home Is Where the Heart Is.

Mechanically, it would work like those magical keys that can turn a door into a passage to Malfeas, but instead leads you to the home of a relative, or alternatively, a loved one (positive intimacy). How does that sound to you?

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I adapted a low-end Artifact from previous editions to a thaumaturgy ritual.

Sanctify the Waters (•)
    Pearl divers in the West sometimes discover this rare talent. By placing a pearl worth Resources •• or greater into a vessel of water, the thaumaturgist may spend a Willpower to render its contents drinkable, no matter how salty or fouled it is. The water will remain fresh and drinkable as long as the pearl remains, unless the water is befouled with magic.

Leave a comment:

• Roswynn
    replied
    Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    When the target has lost everything - they have no gods, no family, and no home - and they sift through the ashes of their home, they will find a mundane iron, steel, or bronze sword. If they lose it, they will shortly after find another one. As long as they possess any sword, they can deal lethal damage even to creatures that would normally be immune. Also, If they did not have at least three dots in the Melee Ability already, they gain up to that amount. These blessings last as long as the target lives.

This ritual does not confer any other Abilities, Attributes, or supernatural powers. It has, however, contributed to the many stories of a lone survivor of some great calamity coming back to carve a bloody streak through Creation.
    I really loved your write-up, but I feel it'd be more poignant if, when the thaumaturge finds the sword amidst the ashes of their home, they can either take it or leave it where it is. If they take it, all well and good, but if they leave it, no thaumaturgical power. Not this anyway. You had your chance at wreaking vengeance, you let it pass, done, see ya and buh-bye. Also, I wouldn't give them extra dots in Melee - the power to actually wound immaterial spirits is already pretty good for Thaumaturgy, and although the conditions required to get this power are absolutely awful and pretty specific, any PC could satisfy them with just a couple lines of background (maybe I'm underestimating Thaumaturgy's potential power, or I'm missing something. Apologies in that case).

A final nitpick - I find that the many stories about lone survivors coming back to kick ass and take names might be easily more inspired by, well, Exaltation. Lunars, Abyssals and Infernals are the ones that seem more appropriate to me; and the character concept sounds more like something of the magnitude of an Exaltation than a simple thaumaturgical ritual. But again, that's just me being terminally anal retentive.

Very cool power!

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied
    Been reading some Sam Sykes recently, and I got an idea for a ritual cool enough to justify thread-necromancy:

There is a ritual so little-known as to be performed by accident more often than on purpose. It is, however, very powerful - it can grant any mortal the ability to see and kill any spirit, even if they are impervious to mortal weapons.

A viable target for the ritual must first possess three things - gods, a family, and a home. They must then lose all of these things.

The "gods" part is easiest in some ways, in that is mostly abstract. It is not necessary kill all the gods that the target worships, only that the target stops worshiping them. Cursory acknowledgment of their existence is permitted in the absence of fear, reverence, or respect. The preferred result is for the target to believe that gods are unworthy of worship.

The "family" consists of everyone the target considers to be family, regardless of whether they are blood relatives or the degree of closeness. Every member of this family must die.

The "home" consists of the personal dwelling of the target as well as anything they have that is familiar enough to be a "second home." The home must be burned - specifically, burned. No other method of destruction will satisfy the ritual.

When the target has lost everything - they have no gods, no family, and no home - and they sift through the ashes of their home, they will find a mundane iron, steel, or bronze sword. If they lose it, they will shortly after find another one. As long as they possess any sword, they can deal lethal damage even to creatures that would normally be immune. Also, If they did not have at least three dots in the Melee Ability already, they gain up to that amount. These blessings last as long as the target lives.

This ritual does not confer any other Abilities, Attributes, or supernatural powers. It has, however, contributed to the many stories of a lone survivor of some great calamity coming back to carve a bloody streak through Creation.
    Last edited by semicasual; 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
    While antagonizing weather gods is all well and good, I was thinking about how it could influence socio-political situations in Creation by a huge degree, because weather is like one of the more determining factors of how people live or die and how kingdoms rise and fall. It can be cool for a story, but an overabundance might deform the setting a tad.
    that is something of a matter for thaumaturgy & its degree of relative rarity as a whole not weather-working in particular i guess. And getting the attention of air elementals and weather gods has ups & downs all its own one might require far more than thaumaturgy to deal with.

Though, I suppose that point is a little moot when we think about how rare such an ability might be, especially in the context of thaumaturgy.

I suppose I should instead frame this as more of an anxiety than any kind of injunction against it. If it's cool and got great flavor, I think I could be down with it.
    Yes. Overall i tend to think of thaumaturgists in terms of people will cool peculiar supernatural gifts like one might see in Inu-Yasha, Blue Exorcist, Mushishi and other series with similar "supernatural exploration" themes.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 08-08-2017, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    While antagonizing weather gods is all well and good, I was thinking about how it could influence socio-political situations in Creation by a huge degree, because weather is like one of the more determining factors of how people live or die and how kingdoms rise and fall. It can be cool for a story, but an overabundance might deform the setting a tad.

Though, I suppose that point is a little moot when we think about how rare such an ability might be, especially in the context of thaumaturgy.

I suppose I should instead frame this as more of an anxiety than any kind of injunction against it. If it's cool and got great flavor, I think I could be down with it.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    I think that weather-working as a thaumaturgy ritual in 3rd edition merits careful consideration. It would certainly be useful to people in Creation, but would it be good for the setting for them to have it? Or perhaps put another way, are they actually interesting and not just useful?
    PLENTY of potential role-playing fodder to be had in weather-working magic, specially when it puts you at cross-purposes with the courts of the Wind Masters, as implied sometimes in the books.

If I were to convert them to the 3rd edition, I would look at different pieces and I would try to consider how to make them peculiar and interesting and strange. At least, moreso than they may have already been.
    That's for certain - part of the reason for doing away with the old arts system of thaumaturgy was most certainly to break away from a certain standardization/banalization of the rituals it seemed to foster to no small degree.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    I think that weather-working as a thaumaturgy ritual in 3rd edition merits careful consideration. It would certainly be useful to people in Creation, but would it be good for the setting for them to have it? Or perhaps put another way, are they actually interesting and not just useful?

If I were to convert them to the 3rd edition, I would look at different pieces and I would try to consider how to make them peculiar and interesting and strange. At least, moreso than they may have already been.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Weather working, there's an art of which most rituals might make good fodder to port over to 3e, i guess.

Leave a comment:

• Jen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    Jen these are very cool, but I have to ask...

...does this mean you always sink? Or are you trying to say you always float?
    Ooooh, it's the later. Thanks TUH, I'll fix it now.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Jen these are very cool, but I have to ask...

Originally posted by Jen View Post
    - Moon-Viewing Flower: As long as the front of your body faces toward the sky and it's night time, you can't not sink in water. A higher dot version allows this to work at day time.
    ...does this mean you always sink? Or are you trying to say you always float?

Leave a comment:

• Jen
    replied
    - Silence of the Lamb: Putting a white piece of cloth over a baby's face will make it stops crying.

- Moon-Viewing Flower: As long as the front of your body faces toward the sky and it's night time, you can not sink in water. A higher dot version allows this to work at day time.

- Fireflies Under the Ocean: Your movement underwater leaves a trail of glowing blue light. Ghosts is attracted to this display of luminescence.

- Bride of Nine Springs: You don't need to eat, drink or breath, and your body won't product any waste if you stays submerged in a naturally-occurring large or moving body of water (an ocean or river counts, a bathing pool won't), you also immune to any water-based hazard like cold or pressure. If you continuously benefited from this Merit for three days straight then from the fourth day, the ST rolls one dice, failure means you get get transport to one of the Underworld's nine springs.

- Gnawing on Siren Song: The thaumaturgists can store human teeth in some kind of container (pendant, jar,...etc). She can increase her Resolve against the mental magic of Fair Folk, each points increased causes one tooth in the container to decay.

- Womb of Drowned-Twin: A person with this Merit can gleam someone thought and emotion, as long as both are in physical contact and is submerged under water. This is a two-way street method, since the other person can do the same thing even if they lack the Merit.
    Last edited by Jen; 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by TavelGorge View Post

Yea it looks like glorified mutations for now. Im going to wait for the magic book? If thats a thing? Maybe theyll elaborate on it. For now it looks like its just thier to keep the term for brand recognition.
    I would say more like channeling and exploting little, peculiar bugs in the tapestry of fate, so to speak. Maybe it's just me, but i associate them a little with minor Paradox or weird causality faults related to fate damage that we would get some mentions of in Sidereal-related stuff.

Anyway, speaking about the OP's request for healing thaumaturgy - and forgive if some else has already suggested that - what about expelling a disease through exorcism rituals?

Just replace "a difficulty of the ghost/demons’s Essence and a goal number of its Willpower," with "Morbidity" for diff. & "Morbidity + Virulence" or "Morbidity x2" for goal and you're mostly set to go. One could even extrapolate things and maybe use the 2-dot ritual to imprison a disease and its spirit in some sealed statue or object. Sounds ok for you people?

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
    Now I'm thinking how fun it would be if someone with a gift got inducted into the ranks of astrologers and developed an actual ritual based on their practices - one that gave results widely different from what's expected.

That's what I'm running with right now. In my planned Hundred Kingdoms game, there will be a kingdom where every firstborn daughter of the royal couple is a thaumaturge. Not quite sure where to go from here, but I like the idea.
    Only having boys could become something of a serious social/state issue.

And if the royal couple get replaced by some branch of relatives that already have girls, does it means their existing firstborn gains "the gift", the firstborn daughter after their proclamation as new royal couple or both?

And how does one find out for sure?

Also, what happens if someone of either royal couple - deposed or current - had a child out of wedlock, with a member of a foreign (but still royal technically) house, to further complicate matters?

Just some quick, silly ideas that came out of your concept. How does that work out for you?
    Last edited by Baaldam; 02-09-2017, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PlotVitalNPC
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    You're unlikely to get a reply from Segev here; the poster you're addressing was banned some months ago.
    Huh.
    Well, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post
    Ah, but can they?
    You're unlikely to get a reply from Segev here; the poster you're addressing was banned some months ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X