Help crafting a dashing pirate/thief.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help crafting a dashing pirate/thief.

Just started in on an exalted game and as I have zero experience with 3rd I require assistance in crafting a Dashing Thief with competence in social situations. No idea about combat but was looking at RDS.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'll be happy to help, but to confirm, you mean Righteous Devil Style?

EDIT: I'm thinking Night caste. Larceny supernal? Larceny's fun.
    Last edited by McAllister; 01-27-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Dexterity 5, Martial Arts (Righteous Devil Style) 5.

Probably max Manipulation, it's more useful than Charisma, and high Appearance. Average Stamina. Low Strength. High Wits. Low Intelligence. Average Perception.

So...dashing pirate thief. Night or Eclipse.

Brawl, Dodge, Presence, Larceny, Stealth, Sail, Socialize, fill the rest to taste (Athletics?). What you want to emphasize most influences your Supernal which influences your Caste. Presence would more likely point to Eclipse, for example, while Larceny could go either way.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by McAllister View Post
        I'll be happy to help, but to confirm, you mean Righteous Devil Style?

EDIT: I'm thinking Night caste. Larceny supernal? Larceny's fun.
        Yes, I do mean Righteous Devil Style.
        Leaning towards Eclipse but cannot decide between Larceny or Presence supernal.

Comment

Presence is likely to come up more. And probably will help more in making oaths.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Any advice on charm and merit selection?

Comment

Well if you're going RDS, you're already going to be spending 4 of your 10 merit dots on the Martial Artist Merit and there's the assumption that they learned if from somewhere so maybe a 1 or 2 dot Mentor. If you want to eliminate some penalties in using RDS at the start of combat, you could look into the Quick Draw Merit which can be either 1 or 4 additonal dots. The rest really depends on the type of character you want to make. Does pirating/thieving pay well? Would they have Resources from their enterprises? Do they have an Ally (Allies?) that are also exalted? Do they have a supernatural or just mortal Retainer (like a first mate)? You said you're not sure about combat, but if you're going RDS maybe they have an artifact flame piece or dragon tongue repeater that they acquired somewhere? They could have criminal Contacts spread through the West or some smaller area. Maybe a dot of Followers for their crew? These really just depend on your character's story.

Edit: I'm actually definitely going to recommend you take at least 2 dots of resources because chances are you will be buying firedust fairly frequently.
              And in addition to the Ability recommendations above, I would throw Archery in there for favored because some of the charms there are compatible with flame weapons and could be useful in combat.
              Last edited by TheGraySoul; 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

If you are making a Righteous Devil, dont be a pirate.

Comment

Background wise, me Pirate had unjustly been cursed by a God of the Sea for falling in love with its daughter and he with her. Thusly he was casted far away from his home and crew, landing somewhere in the Scavanger lands and is now on a warpath to reclaim all that he lost and Bring Retribution down upon the God that cursed him.

Thinking a "Sea Rejects Him" kinda curse that makes Sailing nigh impossible.

I did not see dragon tongue repeaters in the book. Did I miss them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mental-Mouse View Post
                    Thinking a "Sea Rejects Him" kinda curse that makes Sailing nigh impossible.
                    Good, because shooting fire inside a floating piece of wood its not good for your lifespan.

I did not see dragon tongue repeaters in the book. Did I miss them?
                    Its from previous editions.

Comment

So, how would I than stat up a Dragon Tongue Reapter in 3e?

Comment

So, how would I than stat up a Dragon Tongue Reapter in 3e?
                        Light artifact rangex weapon with similar tags from flamepieces, firewands and dragonsigh wands.

Exalted: Princes of the Universe
                        A Third Edition Exalted Podcast
                        http://atrusilk.podbean.com/

Comment

There's not really any way to do “cursed” under chargen rules, so talk to your ST about making it happen in the story – ships you sail might founder in sudden, fierce storms, or are constantly becalmed, and no buccaneer in all Creation will work with you for fear of the sea-god's wrath.

Sample Ability distribution might be:

Larceny 5
                          Presence 5
                          Sail 5
                          MA (Righteous Devil) 5
                          Dodge 3
                          Awareness 2
                          Brawl 1

For Charms:

Larceny:
                          Seasoned Criminal Method
                          Spurious Presence (of course you're supposed to be here in the governor's vault...)
                          Preying on Uncertainty Approach (...you're the gold coin inspector)
                          Lock-Opening Touch

Presence:
                          Harmonious Presence Meditation
                          Tiger's Dread Symmetry

Sail:
                          Salty Dog Method
                          Ship-Claiming Stance
                          Orichalcum Letters of Marque

Righteous Devil Style:
                          Cloud of Ebon Devils
                          Kiss of the Sun Concentration

Dodge:
                          Drifting Leaf Elusion
                          Shadow Over Water

These are all Ess 1, so your Supernal is still up to you. This leaves you two Charms, six Merit dots, and all 15 bonus points to play with, plus Attributes. This build could be either Night or Eclipse. For advancement, Dodge would be a good one to buy up (Reflex Sidestep and Leaping Dodge in particular, to avoid ambushes and stay at range) until Righteous Devil Form becomes available; Larceny has oodles of Charms that you'd like, and dumping bonus points into Stealth and Occult opens up a whole barrel of options.
                          Last edited by Korhal_IV; 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TavelGorge View Post

Light artifact rangex weapon with similar tags from flamepieces, firewands and dragonsigh wands.
                            Doh! Right sorry, forgot that we're mostly focusing on the 3E core. Tavel is right, just use those stats.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGraySoul View Post

Doh! Right sorry, forgot that we're mostly focusing on the 3E core. Tavel is right, just use those stats.
                              To be fair artifact flamepieces were innthe playtest docs but cut from the backer preview. Maybe theyll pop back up in the final draft. Lots of stuff cut for content.

Exalted: Princes of the Universe
                              A Third Edition Exalted Podcast
                              http://atrusilk.podbean.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X