Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex3][Homebrew]So I heard you like Sorcery...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3][Homebrew]So I heard you like Sorcery...

So, I've been frequently disappointed by the lack of charms dealing with Sorcery in the book. Having just made a primarily sorcery based character for a game I'm in, and being impatient for Paths of Bridget, I decided to take a break from homebrewing artifacts to work on a charmset. I was hoping some people could give me some feedback if you have the time, and enjoy it if you like it! If anyone has any opinions on balance and such I'd love to hear it as well.

If you can look through it, thank you in advance!

EDIT: I apologize for the double spoilers, for some reason I can't stop it from doing this after I've edited the post.

Base Concepts:

Solar sorcery lacks subtlety. While there are subtle spells and you can be a stealthy sorcerer, when I picture a specialized Solar sorcerer I picture UNLIMITED POWER, not trickery and stealth. That’s more a Lunar shtick in my eyes. This introduces the Loud keyword.

Spells are inviolate. Solar sorcerers can cast spells well, quickly, and generate ungodly amounts of sorcerous motes, but actually modifying spells on the fly is the realm of evocations, excellencies, and Sidereals.

Rituals are difficult to mess with. This goes both ways; Solars don’t have many mechanics for fucking around with rituals, other than making them harder to fuck with.

Solars should be the best at the basics; shape sorcery actions and powerful sorcerous workings. They should also generally come out on top when it comes to raw sorcerer vs sorcerer.

Supernal Occult isn’t king. Yes, you get a lot of benefits from being supernal occult, but sorcery is still the exception. Lynchpin prerequisite (namely Insight into Three Circles) are locked behind Celestial/Solar circle sorcery.

Sorcery is an act of will. This means that many powerful sorcerous charms cost willpower. Sometimes they lose that cost as they gain in power, sometimes they gain that cost.

Largely divorce Shaping and Working Solar charms. This was a difficult decision to come to, but in the end I feel it allows more diverse concepts. Working charms still require Insight into Three Circles, being the trunk of the tree, so to speak.

Stick to your shtick. Solars are good at actually casting spells and workings, Lunars bring trickery and subtlety into their spellwork as well as use working to modify living beings, Sidereals modify spells (theirs and their opponents) and mess with rituals, Dragon Blooded work in concert with others and bond with elementals, Abyssals are master necromancers and can sacrifice for power, Infernals (more difficult to nail down until we know more, but here’s the idea as of now) create self sustaining spells (i.e. She Who Lives Within Her Name’s spheres), have high risk/reward abilities, and empower demonic slaves.

Solar Sorcery Shaping:

New Keyword

Loud: Activating this charm always counts as peripheral motes and activates anima, even for Night caste sorcerers.

Insight into Three Circles
    Cost: 3m
    Mins: Occult 4, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Instant
    Prereqs: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Even the laws of Creation bend knee to their masters. This charm give a Shape Sorcery action Double 9s for one roll. This charm can only be activated once per scene, but is reset by gaining a willpower back from completing a spell.

This charm can be repurchased with the prerequisite of Celestial Circle Sorcery. Doing so may change the cost to 6m and applies double 8s, with the same reset condition.

This charm can be repurchased a 2nd time with the prerequisite of Solar Circle Sorcery. Doing so may change the cost to 5m, 1wp and applies double 7s, with the same reset condition.

Copper Spider Wisdom
    Cost: 5m
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Loud
    Duration: One Scene
    Prereqs: Ancient Tongue Understanding, Insight into Three Circles

Feeling the pulse of the Dragon lines around her, the Sorcerer aligns her mind with the flows of the universe. While this charm has motes committed to it, the Sorcerer gains 3 dice towards all Shape Sorcery rolls.

Unlike most Simple charms, this charm can explicitly be flurried with Shape Sorcery actions.

Emerald Purity
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Perilous
    Prereqs: Copper Spider Wisdom

The work of other sorcerers appears flawed and imperfect in the eyes of the chosen of the Unconquered Sun. When another sorcerer attempts to counterspell the Lawgiver, the solar gains a sorcerous mote for every 1 and 10 rolled on the counterspell attempt.

Elegant Sorcerous Eloquence
    Cost: - (1wp)
    Mins: Occult 4, Essence 2
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Prereqs: Copper Spider Wisdom

Allowing the essence of Creation to flow through his sorcerous insight, the Lawgiver allows his spellwork to build naturally. This is an upgrade to its prerequisite. As long as Copper Spider Wisdom is active, the solar may spend a willpower while making a Shape Sorcery action to make it flurryable with other actions other than Shape Sorcery.

At Essence 4, this charm upgrades; remove the willpower requirement.

Enduring Essence Fountain
    Cost: 3m, 1wp
    Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Perilous
    Prereqs: Elegant Sorcerous Eloquence

Understanding the use of power in Creation, Lawgivers embody both might and efficiency. After completing a spell, this charm may be activated to keep any sorcerous motes that were gathered over the cost of the spell, applying them to another spell as if he had taken another shape sorcery action reflexively with that many successes.

If the character has Insight into Three Circles x2, this charm may be activated for 5m, gaining the Loud keyword.

Recursive Essence Flow
    Keywords: Perilous, Loud
    Prereqs: Insight Into Three Circles x2, Elegant Sorcerers Eloquence

The Lawgiver is a master at manipulating the strands of power woven into his sorcery, tieing them together into tighter knots and weaves. Shape Sorcery rolls supplemented by this charm gain recurring 10s.

At Essence 5, this charm upgrades; the character may spend a willpower to gain recurring 6s as well.

Sapphire Radiance
    Cost: 1wp
    Prereqs: Insight Into Three Circles x2, Emerald Purity

The work of the Lawgivers bestows true permanence into sorcery This charm may be activated upon completion of a spell that may be distorted. Either the difficulty to distort the spell increases by 2, or the terminus of the distortion extended action is reduced by 1. For 2wp both may be activated, but doing so raises the Solar’s anima by one level.

Celestial Fragmented Focus
    Cost: -
    Mins: Occult 5, Essence 4
    Prereqs: Enduring Essence Fountain, Insight into Three Circles x2

Breaking the bonds of concentration and limitations that restrict other sorcerers, the Solar achieves the epitome of what can be accomplished. This charm enhances its prerequisite, allowing the Solar to flurry together two Shape Sorcery actions. They cannot generate sorcerous motes towards the same spell, instead allowing the Solar to effectively cast two different spells at the same time. This applies to both meanings of the phrase (the same instance of a spell, or two instances of the same spell).

If the character has Insight into Three Circles x3, remove the same spell restrictions.

Copper Power Flux
    Cost: 10m, 1wp, 3a
    Mins: Occult 5, Essence 5
    Keywords: Mute
    Prereqs: Celestial Fragmented Focus, Recursive Essence Flow, Insight into Three Circles x3

Pulling his anima inward, the sorcerer glows like the setting sun for an instant before light explodes around him, power radiating. This illuminates an area around the Solar equal to (Essence) miles as if it were twilight, looking like a sunset from a distance. This charm may only be activated when the character is at bonfire anima, after he completes a spell. The Solar makes a reflexive Shape Sorcery action, which can only be applied to a new spell following the one he cast that triggered this charm (sorcerous motes from this action may be added to with Enduring Essence Fountain).

This charm may be used once per scene. This may be reset by having no sorcerous motes invested in spells.

Adamant Superiority
    Cost: 5m, 1wp
    Keywords: Perilous, Loud
    Prereqs: Sapphire Radiance, All Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight, Insight into Three Circles x3

One does not surpass the master. This charm may be used when an enemy within long range takes Shape Sorcery action, allowing the Lawgiver to make a reflexive Countermagic action against the spell. This Countermagic action may be treated as a Shape Sorcery action by other charms that would affect Shape Sorcery actions.

This charm may be used once per scene. This may be reset by reducing an enemy's sorcerous motes invested in a spell to 0.

Solar Sorcerous Workings:

Application of Three Circles
    Prereqs: Insight into Three Circles

Taking the applications of practical knowledge, the lawgiver applies the same techniques to the theoretical applications of sorcery. This charm allows its prerequisite to be used on Sorcerous Workings.

Learning From Oneself
    Prereqs: Application of Three Circles

The blessings of the Sun are many and come in a wide variety. Even what may have been failure may be a lesson in disguise. Once per working, this charm may be activated on a failed working roll, allowing it to not count towards the terminus of the working. If the roll was a botch, this charm may still be activated, paying 15m 1wp instead. The botch still introduces a complication

Boundaries Fall Away
    Duration: One working
    Prereqs: Application of Three Circles

Solars alone can accomplish the greatest works of the art. This charm must be activated at the start of a working for it to be applicable, and the motes must stay committed for the affect to continue. The base difficulty for attempting higher tier workings is only raised by 1 per circle beyond the sorcerer’s initiation (rather than 2). If the motes stay committed for the entire working, the working costs an additional 2 XP per circle above (rather then 4).

If the character has Insight into Three Circles x3, Terrestrial workings enhanced by this charm no longer cost XP.

The Price for Power
    Prereqs: Learning from Oneself

Lawgivers are truly beacons of light, illuminating those around them with their power. When undergoing a working on behalf of another, the working’s XP cost may be paid for by another character other than the Sorcerer.

If the character has Insight into Three Circles x2, the XP cost may be paid by multiple individuals.

Pulling Essence Chakra
    Prereqs: Insight into Three Circles x2, Boundaries Fall Away

Within the core of her working, the Solar creates a void where power should be, allowing the essence of Creation to flow into the sorcery from the dragon lines. For every set of three failed dice (three 1s, three 2s, etc), roll one additional non charm dice. This can only happen once per set.

Precursor to Power
    Duration: One roll
    Prereqs: Pulling Essence Chakra, The Price for Power

Drawing from a vast repertoire of eldritch secrets, the sorcerer is able to understand the complex mechanisms of workings beyond other men. Reduce the time it takes to make a working roll from one week to one day.

Eloquent Sorcerous Elegance
    Prereqs: Pulling Essence Chakra

While lesser sorcerers may allow control of their workings to slip, the Lawgiver does not. Lower the difficulty of workings from Finesse by 1, minimum 1 (making Finesse go 1, 2, 4, rather then 1, 3, 5).

If the character has Insight into Three Circles x3, lower it by another 1 (to 1, 1, 3).

Miracle Flowing Soul
    Cost: - (5m)
    Prereqs: Insight into Three Circles x3, Pulling Essence Chakra

The dragon lines of Creation itself bend knee before the might of the returned god-kings, assisting in his wishes. This is an upgrade to Pulling Essence Chakra, allowing the lawgiver to pay an additional 5 motes (still Loud, as per the prerequisite). Whenever a set of three failed dice occur, reroll that number. For example, if 4 dice rolled 2, reroll all those 2s. This can happen once per number.

At Essence 6, dice keep rerolling then triples come up, ignoring the “once per number” restriction.
    Last edited by Ladikn; 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM.

I think Pulling Essence Chakra is probably too strong. In a worst case scenario, using it will allow 12 non-success dice (two ones, two twos, two threes etc up to two sixes). Any more and you get a reroll. That means that on a fairly standard 21-die pool (5+5+specialty+full excellency) you are guaranteed at least 9 successes. Any dice added to that are automatically successes as well.

Maybe it should only allow triples in the original dice results to be rerolled, any more will stick?

Comment

I love that someone made charms along this line! I'm so excited to play a sorcerer!

I don't yet have insight into how balanced these are. And not sure how I feel about the Loud keyword. It feels somewhat unnecessary since I imagine someone with most of these charms would be using them fairly regularly and adding to their animas anyways. I actually liked that you're capable of somewhat subtle sorcery in this game, but I see the angle you're going for. Just a matter of preference I suppose.

I guess I didn't have anything interesting to contribute, but I try to bump any thread I think is awesome.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Hm. I dunno about this. The shape sorcery Charms look basically fine, I guess. Recursive Essence Flow seems kinda weak, Sapphire Radiance seems too strong.

But I'm not really onboard with your basic principles. Solars can be subtle. And I don't think the Sorcerous Working Charms would lead a game anywhere good. Even with Solar Circle Sorcery, doing workings shouldn't be easy, and with these a Solar could pull off the hardest possible working in about a week without putting any effort into increasing Means.

I'm guessing the lack of sorcery Charms in the core wasn't an accident.

Comment

Charms that affect Sorcerous Workings rolls should not exist. Period. The math curve for them is exactly where it is supposed to be.

More generally, I think we do not need "charms to make your sorcery better at sorcering" to be a big design space. Sorcerers already have a primary mechanism of advancement as sorcerers - buying new spells, and advancing essence to gain access to new tiers. You don't need to layer tons and tons of incremental competence charms on top of that.
          Last edited by AtG; 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero
            I love that someone made charms along this line! I'm so excited to play a sorcerer!

I don't yet have insight into how balanced these are. And not sure how I feel about the Loud keyword. It feels somewhat unnecessary since I imagine someone with most of these charms would be using them fairly regularly and adding to their animas anyways. I actually liked that you're capable of somewhat subtle sorcery in this game, but I see the angle you're going for. Just a matter of preference I suppose.

I guess I didn't have anything interesting to contribute, but I try to bump any thread I think is awesome.
            Subtle sorcery is definitely possible, and even with a couple charms is much better, but I don't see "cast multiple spells in quick succession" and "use spells to enhance sneaky stuff" as inherently compatible (or at least difficult to conceptualize for me), so it didn't quite fit with the higher essence themes anyway. That let me use the Loud keyword as a balancing mechanism.

Thank you for your feedback though!

Originally posted by Sanctaphraz
            Hm. I dunno about this. The shape sorcery Charms look basically fine, I guess. Recursive Essence Flow seems kinda weak, Sapphire Radiance seems too strong.

But I'm not really onboard with your basic principles. Solars can be subtle. And I don't think the Sorcerous Working Charms would lead a game anywhere good. Even with Solar Circle Sorcery, doing workings shouldn't be easy, and with these a Solar could pull off the hardest possible working in about a week without putting any effort into increasing Means.

I'm guessing the lack of sorcery Charms in the core wasn't an accident.
            Originally posted by AtG
            Charms that affect Sorcerous Workings rolls should not exist. Period. The math curve for them is exactly where it is supposed to be.

More generally, I think we do not need "charms to make your sorcery better at sorcering" to be a big design space. Sorcerers already have a primary mechanism of advancement as sorcerers - buying new spells, and advancing essence to gain access to new tiers. You don't need to layer tons and tons of incremental competence charms on top of that.
            While I can see the sentiment, I can't agree with the premise of "Solar's shouldn't get charms for X because X is balanced without charms." It would be similar to saying charms to make your swordsman have multiple attacks shouldn't exist because the melee mechanics are where they are supposed to be, and having more then one attack a round isn't allowed in the system. Period. The base system is balanced how it's supposed to be balanced, and Solars are supposed to come along and flip the table, throw out the equation, and write their own.

The sorcery rules have to work across the whole spectrum, from mortal to solar, and is designed with enough hooks for charms to affect. Meanwhile, Solars are supposed to be "a master of martial arts, sorcery, or Evocations" (pg 40), and it just doesn't FEEL like they are the masters of Sorcery. Heck, until Essence 5 they are just as good as everyone else, with only their excellencies pumping them up (making them the equal of Lunars, Abyssals, and arguably Sidereals).

There is currently nothing about Solars pre-Essence 5 that makes them feel like the undisputed masters of sorcery among the chosen, which is in their description but not implementation. That in addition to the mechanical hooks present in the system (which I assume were intentionally put in, much like all the hooks in the combat and social systems) make me feel like charms for sorcery should be there, but were possibly cut for space or saved for Paths of Bridget (which, from the description in the brochure, will have sorcery charms anyway). These charms are just intended to be a stopgap anyway until we get official sorcery charms in a couple books ^_^.

An Essence 1 Solar Sorcerer, Dragon Blood Sorcerer, and Lunar Sorcerer should all be able to feel different. Not generic "Sorcerer" with different generic excellencies, same as a "mortal" Sorcerer but with more dice to throw around. Currently they feel different only by what spells and shaping rituals they have, and not how they are chosen.

Although I do agree that Solar workings should never be EASY, just not as difficult for Solars as say, a Lunar who is stretching for it. It's why I kept the dice tricks in that tree to a minimum, and focused more on controlling the outcome better and thematic tricks (making Terrestrials free at Essence 5, allowing others to pay the XP, shortening the time ala Craftsman Needs No Tools, making stretching a bit easier, etc). Looking back though, I do agree with The Unsung Hero that I made their main dice trick a bit too strong (I really like the theme of it, that may have blinded me a bit). I'll rework a bit when I'm home (along with the balance stuff Sanctaphraz mentioned). I'll probably lock the triple failures to rerolls behind Solar Circle Sorcery, and give them a different, more minor buff (maybe +1 non charm dice on triple failures, only once per number)

Thank you very much for your feedback, I'll edit the OP tonight ^_^.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladikn View Post
              While I can see the sentiment, I can't agree with the premise of "Solar's shouldn't get charms for X because X is balanced without charms." It would be similar to saying charms to make your swordsman have multiple attacks shouldn't exist because the melee mechanics are where they are supposed to be, and having more then one attack a round isn't allowed in the system. Period. The base system is balanced how it's supposed to be balanced, and Solars are supposed to come along and flip the table, throw out the equation, and write their own.
              No. It's not like that at all. In combat, there's one system for all splats, and the different tiers of ability are represented through more or less powerful splat charms and more powerful charms at higher essence.

Sorcerous Workings have this balance-by-splat-and-essence built into the mechanic. The tiers of sorcery, the penalties for working above your tier, the hard gating of tier by essence, and the guidelines for what types of effects are available at each tier are how Workings differentiate an E5 DB from an E3 Solar from an E5 Solar etc. And the math for this [i]only works if you cannot improve the rolls in any way beyond an excellency[i]. If you can get additional successes through other charms, like double 9s, suddenly the number of means required plummets. Suddenly the time taken to complete a Working plummets. Suddenly characters are able to practically achieve effects that they were not supposed to be able to do until higher essence, or without having a huge amount of means, or without being an entirely different splat.

This is why sorcery does not respect Supernal. Because the higher tier effects are not appropriate, ever to a character at lower essence, and without the appropriate sorcerous infrastructure. An ambition 3 Solar Working cannot be made any easier than it already is or you have characters just trivially rewriting the cosmos.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far.

But the stuff that a basic Solar Circle Sorcerer can do with an excellency and spending a willpower for an extra success is probably supposed to be the pinnacle of Working skill. Or at least pretty close to it. Letting people go past that can trivialize Means and Finesse.

Unlike combat, Workings have a pretty clear ceiling. You can keep making fights harder to challenge a really hardcore Dawn, but Ambition 3 Finesse 5 Solar Working is as high as it goes. It should never become easy.

I think there's a bit of room for Working Charms, though. Just not a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post
                  So Sidereals are supposed to be better than Solars at completing Sorcerous Workings, even Solar Circle ones? The probably curve absolutely favors them, even after the penalty for working above their station, though the increased interval length is problematic.

At the Celestial level, Lunars are the equals of Solars and Sidereals are simply their superiors.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
                    I wouldn't go that far.

But the stuff that a basic Solar Circle Sorcerer can do with an excellency and spending a willpower for an extra success is probably supposed to be the pinnacle of Working skill. Or at least pretty close to it. Letting people go past that can trivialize Means and Finesse.

Unlike combat, Workings have a pretty clear ceiling. You can keep making fights harder to challenge a really hardcore Dawn, but Ambition 3 Finesse 5 Solar Working is as high as it goes. It should never become easy.

I think there's a bit of room for Working Charms, though. Just not a whole lot.

I agree with you there, there's really not a whole lot of room for charms. I didn't want to mess with means or how many successes Solars needed, since they are both important for balancing. Finesse I don't mind messing with a bit (one charm), because anybody can drop the base difficulty to 1, even mortals; Eloquent Sorcerous Elegance just allows a Solar to have a bit more control at the same difficulty. I didn't want to add too many dice (editing the OP to fix Pulling Essence Chakra after this post) because I didn't want to trivialize workings; I wanted to add just enough dice trickery to make Solars better then Lunars and Sidereals so that the themes between the different chosen actually fit the mechanics, without making things trivial.

So I went with what I wrote. Making Terrestrials free at Solar circle level. Making reaching a bit easier (since Solars should be able to reach better IMO, it makes sense since they are the only group to get Solar Workings without reaching later on, it should come more naturally to them). Mitigating failures (probably my least favorite affect, thinking of nixing it completely). Messing with who's spending XP. Working quicker. Things that seem like a Solar Sorcerer should be able to do. There's a reason I put in a lot more shaping charms then working charms XD.

As far as Shaping balance, I'm also lowering the overall power of Sapphire Radiance a bit. Recursive Essence Flow I feel, while it may be a tad weak for non-supernal occult, it's in a good place strong for supernal occult, and I'd rather err on the side of "a tad too weak".

Comment

Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                      So Sidereals are supposed to be better than Solars at completing Sorcerous Workings, even Solar Circle ones? The probably curve absolutely favors them, even after the penalty for working above their station, though the increased interval length is problematic.

At the Celestial level, Lunars are the equals of Solars and Sidereals are simply their superiors.
                      I'm almost certain that the Sidereal Excellency is going to be changed since it's just not consistent with Ex3 design at all (e.g. Craft). Yes, the QC system currently has the 2e Excellency, but the devs have told us the QC system is not representative since they haven't started work on most splats.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladikn View Post
                        I agree with you there, there's really not a whole lot of room for charms. I didn't want to mess with means or how many successes Solars needed, since they are both important for balancing. Finesse I don't mind messing with a bit (one charm), because anybody can drop the base difficulty to 1, even mortals; Eloquent Sorcerous Elegance just allows a Solar to have a bit more control at the same difficulty. I didn't want to add too many dice (editing the OP to fix Pulling Essence Chakra after this post) because I didn't want to trivialize workings; I wanted to add just enough dice trickery to make Solars better then Lunars and Sidereals so that the themes between the different chosen actually fit the mechanics, without making things trivial.

So I went with what I wrote. Making Terrestrials free at Solar circle level. Making reaching a bit easier (since Solars should be able to reach better IMO, it makes sense since they are the only group to get Solar Workings without reaching later on, it should come more naturally to them). Mitigating failures (probably my least favorite affect, thinking of nixing it completely). Messing with who's spending XP. Working quicker. Things that seem like a Solar Sorcerer should be able to do. There's a reason I put in a lot more shaping charms then working charms XD.

As far as Shaping balance, I'm also lowering the overall power of Sapphire Radiance a bit. Recursive Essence Flow I feel, while it may be a tad weak for non-supernal occult, it's in a good place strong for supernal occult, and I'd rather err on the side of "a tad too weak".
                        I don't think making workings free is ever a good idea.

And even just double 7s makes it pretty easy to do any possible working. 24 dice with double 7s and a willpower for an extra success is 20.2 successes on average. Even with Finesse 5, you can expect to do an Ambition 3 Solar working in 5 rolls. Which is less than a week with your speed-booster.

I do like the ability of a reaching ahead bonus. Making it free to buy an extra success with willpower would be cool too, even if it's minor.

Speed booster is a solid idea too, but seven times faster is too much.

Comment

Working...
                        X