[3E] The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    My experience with the game is that it's actually kind of unusual to have a combat last more than 3-4 rounds. It can happen, but few do. So anything that makes you build up over time is limiting. That said, this is supplemental, so CAN be used on multi-attack charms to build up faster.

This being the intro evocation, it is the foundation for everything else. If the charges had to be spent to get the benefit, there would be little desire to use this, even with the future stuff building off of it. And honestly, this evocation is somewhat weak. The average Sta+Res roll for a foe any given ST puts you against is probably going to be 5 or 6. Anyone lower isn't really worth putting this weapon's special effort into, and anyone higher will require a lot of activations of this evocation to get any benefit out of. So it's a small passive benefit at a cheap cost, and it doesn't screw you later to utilize this benefit. But it's not particularly overpowering. Most foes will probably hit a difficulty 2 or 3 most of the time.
    True, I hadn't taken the brevity of typical combat and general enemy sturdiness into account--I tend to play glass-cannons with more Dex and Dodge than Stam and Resist, respectively. Perception bias, ho!

Adding the charge was honestly an afterthought. I wanted more than one way to gain charges so it's not a useless weapon in a 3 round fight. Thematically, it doesn't really matter, though I kind of think of it as stealing their effort to power the weapon.
    I can get behind the "stealing power" concept--the wasted kinetic effort being siphoned away as electric energy. Definitely keep it.

Originally, this tree stopped at Thunder Crash, but as a point of personal aesthetic preference, I hate ending Evocation trees at Essence 2. 3 Is a really nice stopping point to me, so I try to scale things up. However, neither of my first two evocations made sense at 2, and I was tired of writing Essence 3 Decisive Attack capstones (a LOT of my weapons have those). So I tried to come up with something else. I hadn't done a form in a long time, so I went with that direction. I agree, it's a little out of place with the rest, but that's largely because it was an afterthought. I came up with the first and third evocations in a 5 minute conversation with my friend who needed the weapon. I came up with 2 and 4 today at work while bored.
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't call it out of place so much as a new branch of power--I read it and immediately sort of imagined the old Allegory of the Cave, wherein the whip itself is just the closest human approximation and the form-shift is the weapon attaining its truest essence. And for those few battles that drag on to that point, it really marks a turning point of power.

Artifact Journeyman?

Comment

• So this is actually my first attempt at making an artifact wholecloth. Feedback would be welcome.

Rambling bullshit I can’t actually call „design intent” with a straight face
      Remember the first Evocation update on Kickstarter? The one with the huge-ass, sprawling Evocation tree for Volcano Cutter? While I definitely think the new, pared-down designs are much more helpful in narrowing down and really accentuating the themes and characters of individual artifacts, I couldn’t help but feel disappointed that the Evocation named Bones and Hope to Ashes and Flame couldn’t make it to the final product. This Artifact is basically my way of rectifying that. However, I felt that the original name was a bit overblown; I also thought that soulsteel-jade alloys are surprisingly underutilized, and an artifact whose shtick is literally turning hope to ash is Abyssal as fuck. Thus, Pyre-Kindler was born.

Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe ***)

History
      The siege of Thorns was a bloody and brutal affair. Each hour seemed to birth new horrors, and the ragged remnants of the city’s defenders were forced to give ground again and again, until there was nowhere left to fall back to. At this moment, when all seemed lost, a lone Dragon-Blooded hero awoke the long-slumbering spirit of her daiklave Hope’s Gleam Eternal, rallied her broken comrades, and prepared for a desperate last stand. Empowered by the newly forged bond between wielder and weapon, she and her companions tore through the ranks of the dead, drove back the teeming hordes, and eventually reached the towering corpse-flesh throne of the Deathlord himself. There, she spat a defiant challenge at the Mask of Winters, mocking the sorcerer-king for hiding behind the walls of his rotting cage, and daring him to engage her in single combat.
      Her request was granted. The Deathlord came crashing down wreathed in darkness, his visage akin to some perverse cthonic reflection of a falling star. There they clashed at the feet of the Juggernaut; seething fury strained against deathly chill, fervent blows fueled by anger and loss were turned away by calculating strokes perfected through millennia of practice. Three times did their blades meet, and with each strike, the necromancer grew more terrifying to behold in his grave-born majesty – but her resolve did not waver, not even in her last moment, when the Mask of Winters’ final blow sundered her blade apart and cleft her body in twain. The last Dragon-Blooded defender of the city fell unbroken.
      At least this is how the Midnight Caste, Exultant Dirge Echoed Sevenfold, told her story before asking his audience – a gathering of the city’s greatest artists, poets and philosophers, living or dead – to commemorate her passing. Some of them showed an appreciation for the star-crossed romance in the futility of her struggle; judging them worthy and enlightened souls, the Abyssal granted them the privilege of becoming a part of his design.
      For four days and nights he worked without stopping, while reciting the poems, eulogies and songs – their creators’ last compositions, for they were now being worked on the anvil, along with the shards of the broken blade – and it is said that the living and the dead wept alike during this time, not for the families and friends they lost, nor for their city that turned into a death-tainted shadow of the home they once had, but for that nameless, fallen Dragon-Blooded hero. Such was the heart-rending beauty of his performance that when the first rays of light broke on the fifth day, when the ringing of his anvil ceased and he finally fell silent, even the Juggernaut shed a single tear the size of a house. The Midnight plunged the white-hot blade into it as it fell, evaporating it entirely and covering the neighborhood in a mist that hasn’t lifted ever since; and at that moment, Pyre-Kindler was born.

Appearance
      The blade of this massive grimscythe is made from a single piece of red jade with razor-thin cracks running through its entire length, while the haft is black soulsteel, with streaks of red jade worked into the metal. Occasionally – mostly at dusk, when the dying embers of sunlight grace the weapon at just the right angle – faces can be glimpsed within the jet-colored alloy; whether their mouths gape open in tortured screams or worshipful ecstasy, hard to say.
      Pyre-Kindler features a single hearthstone socket where the haft meets the blade.

Attunement
      Whenever a Solar or Abyssal who’s attuned to Pyre-Kindler crashes an opponent, she may forego the bonus Initiative gained from Initiative Break, and gain 5 motes instead. These motes are stored in Pyre-Kindler and are lost at the end of the scene, or if the wielder’s attunement is broken. Motes stored in Pyre-Kindler can only be spent on Charms that enhance or create social actions taken to erode positive Intimacies towards Creation or the living, to instill or strengthen Intimacies based on accepting or exulting in death, or to persuade targets exploiting Intimacies of fatalism or death-seeking.

Evocations of Pyre-Kindler

Light the Pyre
      Cost: 6m; Mins: Essence 1
      Type: Reflexive
      Keywords: Psyche
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisites: None

The fiery Essence of this weapon does not awaken lightly; only death can rouse its flames. However, when it does, it’s a terrifying sight to behold, leaving only ashes and broken spirits in its wake.
      Whenever the wielder reduces a significant opponent to Incapacitated, she can activate this Evocation to consign the body to the flames of Pyre-Kindler, instantly burning it to cinders. Treat this as a Charisma+Presence-based instill action to evoke fear, hopelessness, acceptance towards the inevitability of death, or a similarly appropriate Intimacy in all onlookers, made without the usual penalties for multiple targets (and silent communication, should the character offer no commentary). Moreover, those who held a positive Intimacy to the deceased increase the Willpower cost of rejecting this influence by one.
      Motes spent on enhancing the triggering attack reduce the cost of this Evocation on a two-for-one basis, potentially even reducing it to zero.

Passion-Scouring Persuasion
      Cost: 1+m; Mins: Essence 1
      Type: Supplemental
      Keywords: None

Pyre-Kindler is an artifact forged from the souls of Thorns’ greatest artists, poets and rhetoricians. It can lend its weight not just to the blows, but also to the statements of its wielder – albeit the weapon’s grim outlook makes it better suited to certain lines of argument than others.
      Passion-Scouring Persuasion can be used to enhance a social influence action placed in a flurry with an attack from Pyre-Kindler. Resolve the attack first; if it hits, the wielder may spend motes to remove flurry penalties from her social influence roll on a one-for-one basis. This Evocation can be activated to enhance social actions intended to weaken Intimacies towards Creation or the living, or strengthen Intimacies of hopelessness or fatalism even if the accompanying attack misses; if it hits, such influence gains an automatic success.

Hope-to-Ash Ignition
      Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
      Type: Simple
      Keywords: Decisive-only, Psyche
      Prerequisites: Light the Pyre, Passion-Scouring Persuasion

Thorns’ last Dragon-Blooded fought valiantly, but in the end, her struggles were futile. Her body, her weapon and her city were broken alike. Seeing the same hope and passion in another causes Pyre-Kindler to lash out with the intent to burn it all away: the weapon almost seems to swing with a will of its own, surrounded by a corona of flame.
      Hope-to-Ash Ignition is a decisive attack that adds [Intimacy's strength] extra dice to its damage roll if the target holds a positive Intimacy that can be considered passionate or hopeful; however, they can voluntarily reduce the strength of the Intimacy in question to reduce the damage accordingly. If multiple Intimacies satisfy the criteria, only the strongest counts. In case of ties, if the wielder is aware of the Intimacies in question, she may choose which one to target; otherwise, the victim chooses.
      Special activation rules: Hope-to-Ash Ignition can't be used twice in the same fight, unless reset by instilling a major or defining Intimacy of grim fatalism in the original target or one of his allies.

Life’s Vexations Seared Away
      Cost: 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
      Keywords: Stackable, Psyche
      Prerequisites: Hope-to-Ash Ignition

The ultimate expression of Pyre-Kindler’s spirit and the chivalry of death, the flames of this Evocation burn away not the flesh of its victim, but the ties that bind him to the land of the living, allowing him to experience the peace of the grave and be reborn enlightened.
      When the wielder reduces an opponent to Incapacitated with its prerequisite, she may activate this Evocation to cause the target to immediately stabilize. For every level of Health damage that would’ve taken the victim beyond Incapacitated, she may reduce the intensity of an Intimacy that ties the target to Creation or the living by one step; she’s explicitly permitted to reduce any Intimacy by multiple steps as long as the excess damage allows her to do so. Upon activating Life’s Vexations Seared Away, the wielder immediately becomes aware of every viable target Intimacy for its effect.
      Last edited by aluminiumtrioxid; 06-20-2016, 09:25 PM.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
      Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
        Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe ***)
        Oooo, excellent material combination. I agree, not enough of it.

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
        Attunement
        Whenever a Solar or Abyssal who’s attuned to Pyre-Kindler crashes an opponent, she may forego the bonus Initiative gained from Initiative Break, and gain 5 motes instead. These motes are stored in Pyre-Kindler and are lost at the end of the scene, or if the wielder’s attunement is broken. Motes stored in Pyre-Kindler can only be spent on Charms that enhance or create social actions taken to erode positive Intimacies towards Creation or the living, to instill or strengthen Intimacies based on accepting or exulting in death, or to persuade targets exploiting Intimacies of fatalism or death-seeking.
        Good attunement bonus. Feeds the rest of the weapon well.

Light the Pyre
        Cost: 6m; Mins: Essence 1

The fiery Essence of this weapon does not awaken lightly; only death can rouse its flames. However, when it does, it’s a terrifying sight to behold, leaving only ashes and broken spirits in its wake.
        Whenever the wielder reduces a significant opponent to Incapacitated, she can activate this Evocation to consign the body to the flames of Pyre-Kindler, instantly burning it to cinders. Treat this as a Charisma+Presence-based instill action to evoke fear, hopelessness, acceptance towards the inevitability of death, or a similarly appropriate Intimacy in all onlookers, made without the usual penalties for multiple targets (and silent communication, should the character offer no commentary). Moreover, those who held a positive Intimacy to the deceased increase the Willpower cost of rejecting this influence by one.
        An Abyssal may alternatively fuel this Evocation by channeling the deathly essence of his anima through the weapon, subtracting two motes from the cost per level of anima shed.
        I like this. An excellent opening evocation. While I know what you were going for, I would clarify this text to say that when the wielder uses Pyre-Kindler to reduce a significant opponent to Incap. The reason for interjecting what's doing the damage is to make sure no one can insta-kill someone they've knocked to Incap with Bashing, which should be unconscious, not dead. In truth, it should probably say "least lethal health level" but putting the name in is probably enough.

Any reason you didn't let DBs use this weapon? It has Jade in it. That's hardly a hard rule, I'm just curious.

Passion-Scouring Persuasion
        Cost: 1+m; Mins: Essence 1

Pyre-Kindler is an artifact forged from the souls of Thorns’ greatest artists, poets and rhetoricians. It can lend its weight not just to the blows, but also to the statements of its wielder – albeit the weapon’s grim outlook makes it better suited to certain lines of argument than others.
        Passion-Scouring Persuasion can be used to enhance a social influence action placed in a flurry with an attack from Pyre-Kindler. Resolve the attack first; if it hits, the wielder may spend motes to remove flurry penalties from her social influence roll on a one-for-one basis. This Evocation can be activated to enhance social actions intended to weaken Intimacies towards Creation or the living, or strengthen Intimacies of hopelessness or fatalism even if the accompanying attack misses; if it hits, such influence gains an automatic success.
        Seems fine to me.

Hope-to-Ash Ignition
        Keywords: Decisive-only, Psyche
        Prerequisites: Light the Pyre, Passion-Scouring Persuasion

Thorns’ last Dragon-Blooded fought valiantly, but in the end, her struggles were futile. Her body, her weapon and her city were broken alike. Seeing the same hope and passion in another causes Pyre-Kindler to lash out with the intent to burn it all away: the weapon almost seems to swing with a will of its own, surrounded by a corona of flame.
        If the target of this attack holds a positive Intimacy that can be considered passionate or hopeful, they take (Intimacy's strength) extra dice of damage; however, they can voluntarily reduce the strength of the Intimacy in question to reduce the damage accordingly. If multiple Intimacies satisfy the criteria, only the strongest counts. In case of ties, if the wielder is aware of the Intimacies in question, she may choose which one to target; otherwise, the victim chooses.
        Special activation rules: Hope-to-Ash Ignition can't be used twice in the same fight, unless reset by instilling a major or defining Intimacy of grim fatalism in the original target or one of his allies.
        OK, I was going to put this comment at the end, but there's a step missing in a few of your social mechanics. Almost every weapon that has an effect against an Intimacy someone holds requires you to learn of that Intimacy first. It shouldn't auto-target, you should have to spend the effort "charm, evocation, or normal" to Read Intentions to figure it out. Now this isn't as necessary when everything is build on Creating an Intimacy like in your first Evocation. But even that and the second one mention eroding one and you give no abilities in here to learn them, nor do you even mention that it's required.

Then we get to Hope-to-Ash Ignition, which even mentions that it auto-targets because it has different benefits based on whether the wielder knows the Intimacy. I can't personally get behind that. I feel you should have to learn it first. OTHERWISE, I think this is a good evocation. Although I'd mention that it "adds (Intimacy's strength) extra dice to the damage roll" so there's no confusion that it's not auto-damage, it's based on the Decisive attack (if I'm reading you right).

Life’s Vexations Seared Away
        Cost: 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
        Keywords: Stackable, Psyche
        Prerequisites: Hope-to-Ash Ignition

The ultimate expression of Pyre-Kindler’s spirit and the chivalry of death, the flames of this Evocation burn away not the flesh of its victim, but the ties that bind him to the land of the living, allowing him to experience the peace of the grave and be reborn enlightened.
        When the wielder reduces an opponent to Incapacitated with its prerequisite, she may activate this Evocation to cause the target to immediately stabilize. For every level of Health damage that would’ve taken the victim beyond Incapacitated, she may reduce the intensity of an Intimacy that ties the target to Creation or the living by one step; she’s explicitly permitted to reduce any Intimacy by multiple steps as long as the excess damage allows her to do so. Upon activating Life’s Vexations Seared Away, the wielder immediately becomes aware of every viable target Intimacy for its effect.
        Well, THAT'S an interesting effect. Kind of nullifies the first evocation, but still very in theme. Aside from what I mentioned above about learning someone's Intimacies, I'm gonna call this one cool imo.

Overall, a very consistent theme. Evocations build on each other and are sure to make a nihilist out of anyone you... don't want to kill. I guess you'd use this to drive someone mad or maybe hope to make them loyal to the Underworld? Still very cool.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

OK, I was going to put this comment at the end, but there's a step missing in a few of your social mechanics. Almost every weapon that has an effect against an Intimacy someone holds requires you to learn of that Intimacy first. It shouldn't auto-target, you should have to spend the effort "charm, evocation, or normal" to Read Intentions to figure it out. Now this isn't as necessary when everything is build on Creating an Intimacy like in your first Evocation. But even that and the second one mention eroding one and you give no abilities in here to learn them, nor do you even mention that it's required.
          Well, the second one enhances a normal instill action taken to erode an Intimacy, and is therefore subject to the standard rules governing them.

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
          Then we get to Hope-to-Ash Ignition, which even mentions that it auto-targets because it has different benefits based on whether the wielder knows the Intimacy. I can't personally get behind that. I feel you should have to learn it first.
          The way I see it, it comes with a high enough cost (5 motes, a reset condition, and effectively locking you out of your capstone if you blow it in an untimely manner) to discourage gambling. Also, I wanted to support characters with crappy Socialize scores whose players can still make educated guesses based on the behavior of the NPCs in question.

Although I'd mention that it "adds (Intimacy's strength) extra dice to the damage roll" so there's no confusion that it's not auto-damage, it's based on the Decisive attack (if I'm reading you right).
          You absolutely are, and I'm going to edit it accordingly.

EDIT:

Well, THAT'S an interesting effect. Kind of nullifies the first evocation, but still very in theme.
          Actually, Pyre-Kindler's ideal game plan is to go in, burn somebody down to their last health levels, then finish them off with a big decisive enhanced by Hope-to-Ash Ignition, which procs Life's Vexations Seared Away hopefully with enough health levels of excess damage to be able to tear down all of their relevant Intimacies.

The attunement effect is intended to help you avoid an accidental early overkill ("meh, I bet they have a bunch of Ox-Bodies, let's chuck a 20-Initiative decisive at them and keep Hope-to-Ash Ignition on hold for now" "SPLAT" "Oops") in addition to giving you free motes. LtP's role partially comes in as a consolation prize if you screw up ("well, you didn't manage to turn your guy into Death Buddha, but at least everybody around is super impressed now"); but it's also meant to help you reset Hope-to-Ash Ignition by either creating a Minor Intimacy of fatalism, or giving you a supporting Intimacy you can use to strengthen an Intimacy of fatalism you created through normal means.

So, all in all, the intention for it is to support the capstone, not to be obviated by it.

Overall, a very consistent theme. Evocations build on each other and are sure to make a nihilist out of anyone you... don't want to kill. I guess you'd use this to drive someone mad or maybe hope to make them loyal to the Underworld?
          Its primary use case is indeed your archetypal Midnight preacher demonstrating the fundamental meaninglessness of life, but Vexations is intentionally worded in a way that makes it useful in pretty much any situation where you'd want to commit impromptu neuro-surgery with a giant flaming scythe (at least in most games, antagonists tend to have motivations that stem from attachments related to Creation or the living, all of which can be burned away by the kiss of Pyre-Kindler).
          Last edited by aluminiumtrioxid; 06-04-2016, 01:11 PM. Reason: Edited to explain the point of the capstone and how the first Evocation relates to it.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
            Well, the second one enhances a normal instill action taken to erode an Intimacy, and is therefore subject to the standard rules governing them.
            Yeah forget my commentary on the 2nd one. I'm still groggy today. 2nd one is fine.

The way I see it, it comes with a high enough cost (5 motes, a reset condition, and effectively locking you out of your capstone if you blow it in an untimely manner) to discourage gambling. Also, I wanted to support characters with crappy Socialize scores whose players can still make educated guesses based on the behavior of the NPCs in question.
            I get what you're trying to do, but if it's auto-targetting intimacies the player doesn't know about then it's the only thing in the game that does that. It's your weapon and your table, so I'm not gonna say you're doing it wrong, but my feedback is that it's too strong if you allow that. My 2 cents.

Don't take that as a criticism of the whole thing though. I love this weapon a lot and I'd probably take it to my table with the small tweak to that third evocation. It's great stuff.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• I could really use feed back on this artifact. Please pick apart and find any mechanical flaws.

Lion's Pride
              Artifact 4 lightning glass and Oricalcum Reaper Daiklave.

Long ago in the Shogunate there lived an exigent named The Lion of Nobel Causes, or just the Lion. He was the exigent of a god of duels, but no one knows which any more and his legend has suffered and most records of him were destroyed in the great contagion.

What is known of him is he founded the nation of Valosia, was the sire of the royal bloodline, and that he also fathered a lot of children among the peasants. This has lead to some theories that he was chosen of the God of romantic duels and lovers quarrel.

The Lion is even said to have dueled the empress, back when she was a private. There are many theories on what the duel was over. Some say she tripped while emptying her commanders chamber pot and spilled the contents upon him. Others say they dueled for the company of a pretty youth. Most hold that the duel was over the withholding of an apology.

Lion's pride holds up its first master's sense of honor this blade was forged to fight duels. The blade will only a tune to those with a principal to a code of honor or dueling code. As well they are required to have a tie of love or devotion to [ST chosen group that fits]

Evocations of Lion's Pride
              When an atuned weilder drops a target to an initiative less than their own with an attack made with Lion's Pride they may spend 1m to take a reflexive aim action to strike with the speed of lighting at the opening they have created.

Brilliant Stroke
              Cost: 2m, Mins: Essence 1
              Keywords: Withering - Only
              With a shocking effect the lightning glass unleashes a discharge into a foe who was just crashed to slow their thoughts, and confuse the muscles. The struck foe must pass a stamina + resistance check against a duration equal to 1+the value of the Principal used to power this weapon. That foe suffers a penalty to all actions equal to the value of the intimacy of love that powers the blade, and a defense penalty equal to the half that value for the resisted duration.

Roaring Counter Attack
              Cost: 4m Mins: Essence 1
              Keywords: Decisive-Only, Counter Attack
              With a peel and a crash like a lion falling open it's foe Lion's Pride reacts to it's owner's deflection of an attack and rewards them with an opening to launch a quick counter attack. The blade crackling with power of passion as the Orichalcum glows with pulse and sync to the honor in it's welder's heart. This charm creates a counter attack in response to an attack that the weirder has successfully parried. The user may add double 9's up to the value of the principal to Dueling to the attack roll, and add damage equal to the value of the empowering tie.

Lone Predator Challenge
              Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence: 2
              Duration: One Scene
              Prerequisite: Roaring Counter Attack

The enemies of The Lion were many, but those nobel enough or brave enough to face him alone often fond themselves outmatched. Issuing a challenge, the user rolls (Charisma + Presence + the empowering Principal) against the resolve of all enemies. If he succeeds, then they gain a Major Tie to Honorable Duels. The enemies may then choose one among them to go first, as long as the Solar does not cheat and the fight remains a duel, then any other enemy with the Intimacy takes a penalty equal the the empowering Principal on attacks against the Exalt. The chosen opponent takes the same penalty on rolls to Withdraw or Disengage or fight someone beside the Exalt, or benefit from another cheating on their behalf. Until the elected enemy is defeated (or yields) the other enemies may circle, taunt, and push combatants back into the fight. The exalts enemy as a part of the activation of this charm may select if the duel is to first blood, or to the death at the start of it.

These effects may be ignored if the target pays a Willpower, but if the foe chosen to face him spends this willpower then the user gains a bonus die to all attacks until the end of the scene that does not count as a die from charms.

Special Activation Rules: This evocation is awoken automatically after the Exalt faces a battle group or wins the affections of one in the bedroom.

Satisfaction of Honor
              Cost 8m, 1bhl, 1wp: Mins: Essence 3
              Keywords:
              Duration: 1 Scene
              Prerequisites: Lone Predator Challenge
              Summoning the swift power of the lightning strike and the motivating power of love this weapon burns with great power in a fearsome mean that elevates it above all it's brethren bringing with it devastating power. For the remainder of the scene attack rolls reroll up to the empowering principal in failed dice. If any number of enemies are in short range of the target who resisted Lone Predator Challenge then lightning arcs from the target to these dishonorable wretches creating an unblock able attack with the same number of successes as the first attack, dealing levels of damage equal to the empowering tie. If the target themselves resisted the Challenge then this damage is increased by essence
              Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 06-04-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Any reason you didn't let DBs use this weapon? It has Jade in it. That's hardly a hard rule, I'm just curious.
                I can't believe I edited comments about the third Evocation in my original response post and forgot about this one.

Well, mechanically, I think the attunement bonus is certainly nice, but non-essential to the Artifact's function. Fluffwise, I think the blade is, in a sense, heartbroken about its last wielder; being held by a Dragon-Blooded causes it to recall the trauma of getting violently sundered apart, which is, for lack of a better word, distressing to it to the extent of preventing it from responding to their elemental nature.

If a player came to me with "this is super cool and I want to play a Dragon-Blooded who eventually manages to overcome this effect and forge a new connection with the weapon, maybe even drawing out fragments of its original nature", I'd obviously allow them to do so. Maybe ask them to commit two additional motes until some story event restores their connection.

Btw. I'd also appreciate comments about the fluffy bits; this was also my first attempt at trying to write in the tone associated with Exalted, and English not being my first language, I can't accurately gauge how successful it's been.

Comment

• The Yozi Little Red ball of Elsewhere (Artfact ***)

This Small red ball that has been see going around Mafias. Demons enjoy his ball so much for it fendish abilities. This ball was created by some unknown demon who was sick and tired of people summoning him for things he could not do like " I want to be young forever " or " Make me Immortal ".

The Yozi Little Red Ball can only be activated by a Yozi demon. The demon need only spend a single mote and then toss or give the ball to the intended target. Once the target takes the ball *Poof* they disappear. The person who vanishes is transported into elsewhere. The only way the subject can return is if the ball is reactavited in the same mannor as it was orginal used. This means who ever was sent to elsewhere returns to where they left and the new person takes there place. This only works on Exalted and Mortals.

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

• New, much (I hope) improved version of my Shotstaff artifact. Changed a lot of Evocations, reformed it into Melee weapon with Summoner style. Pretty much new Artifact.

Elemental Heart (*****)
                    Different than many wonders, the powers of Elemental Heart do not come from ancient legacy or power of its past wielders. It was forged only recently, by one lone Twilight girl living in her manse, ancient and powerful spirit guardians of Solar long gone her only friends.
                    When she was cast into raging waves of ocean, it was supposed to be her end – but Fate is not always right. Terrified she was, she still cling to her life and somehow survived to land on island too small to be shown on any map of the West – but one housing powerful manse of long-gone golden king. Small as she was, only eight years old, she was able to outsmart and befriend ancient elemental spirits tied to the place – and then solve and overcome defense systems protecting manse itself. It was then as she draw Second Breath and become new master of the place – new Children of Twilight. Friend to elementals tied to the place and lady over manse itself, she was safe there.
                    In years to come, she learned a lot. She studied ancient arts of channeling essences and creating wonders. She had read more books than most people ever see in their lives. She initiated herself into Sorcerous arts. But it was not enough to sate her thirst for knowledge. She wanted, no... needed to travel the world, to understand it and use her knowledge to help others... but also expand what she knew. But she knew about dangers of the world – and that she would need to protect herself. There were weapons in manse – old ones, powerful blades used by ancient warriors of tales long forgotten – but she didn’t know how to wield them. So she did what true Copper Spiders did best – she took materials she had, ancient pile of raw orichalcum and starmetal stored in manse and asked her friends for help. Each of them have given two gifts –gift of power, to fight for things dear to her and gift of defense, to protect her from harm in her travels. And then, using her own mastery and powers given to her by them she forged new weapon – her own legacy that will protect her in years to come, in her travels to the end of the known world.

Elemental Heart at first glance seems to be perfectly crafted orichalcum wrackstaff, with beautifully carved motifs of four elementals and poetry written in Old Realm symbols. Carvings of elementals are inlaid with corresponding jade colors - black, blue, red and white, while ends of the staff were given Starmetal bands. While the weapon can be used as simple wrackstaff, its true power lies deeper, in the core of the staff. There, inside the indestructible orichalcum lie masterfully forged channels for Essence that move mystical force of wielder and join them with elemental powers of Creation, channeled through elemental guardians – claw of each one of them was composed into the staff.

Evocations of the Elemental Heart:
                    Special rules: Characters with Lore or Occult Supernal treats all Evocations of Elemental Heart as her Supernal Charms for purpose of qualifying for prerequisite and experience costs (which means she can learn them at Essence 1 for 8 experience points each). When character attunes to Elemental Heart she gains Essence of Blaster and Essence of Summoner Evocations for free.

Essence of Blaster:
                    Cost: 6m, 1wp ; Mins: Essence 1
                    Keywords: Uniform
                    Duration: One scene
                    Knowing the power of Elements lying in her weapon, young Twilight learned to target her weapon not by eye, but with elements of Creation. As she struck the air, her weapon blow moved upon Essence to hit enemies. This attacks emanate as powerful Essence blasts, hitting her enemies and stopping them in their tracks.
                    The Solar is capable of making Melee attacks up to Short range by hitting her enemies with blast of Essence instead of weapon itself. She can also attack enemies at medium range if she takes Aim action first. Attacks made further than close range do not add Solar Strength to damage. This effect cannot be used for counterattacks if they are done from further than close range. When combined with Iron Raptor Technique this Evocation allows attacking enemies at long range without Aim action.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart attunes to her weapon.

Essence of Summoner:
                    Cost: - ; Mins: Essence 1
                    Type: Permanent
                    Duration: Permanent
                    Knowing the power of Elements lying in her weapon, young Twilight internalized lessons of all elements.
                    When Solar’s use Evocation based on one of the Spirits who contributed to creation of her weapon, she gains special bonus until the end of her next action after this Evocation effects stops. She can have any number of bonuses active at the same time, but each of them do not stack with itself.
                    Gaea – reduce raw damage taken by one (for both withering and decisive damage)
                    Aquarius – add one to Character Evasion (this doesn’t count as dices added by Charms)
                    Sylphe – increase Elemental Heart accuracy by one
                    Bloodflame – add one dice to raw damage of Withering and Decisive attacks
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart attunes to her weapon.

Gifts of Friendship:
                    Cost: - ; Mins: Essence 1
                    Type: Permanent
                    Duration: Permanent
                    Prerequisites: Essence of Summoner
                    As the pact with Spirits was done, young Twilight learned true value of friendship. She wished that even if she would have to fight in her travels, she would be able to become friends with everyone afterwards.
                    The user of Elemental Heart can always spare enemies hit by her Essence blasts - no Bashing damage from her attacks can injure a character further than Incapacitated. If character is spared in this way, she immediately passes out and remains unconscious until end of the Scene, when she wakes up automatically healing Incapacitated health level. When any character is rendered unconscious by this effect, both Ragin Heart’s user and character rendered unconscious automatically gain minor positive Tie to each other, with context chosen by their respective players and deemed dramatically appropriate by Storyteller. This effect can be resisted at normal cost of 1 WP. If any character decides to resist, both instances are automatically resisted.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart will make friendship pact with Spirits who contributed to creation of this weapon. It can also be bought normally for experience.

Gaea’s Vestments
                    Keywords: Dual
                    The Earth spirit is unmoving and powerful – it was him who has given young girl protection she needed when entering giant, unknown world.
                    This Charm creates powerful forcefield of earthen essence, which combines with user’s own anima to create set of powerful mystical clothes protecting her from blows and damage. Upon this Evocation activation Solar’s clothes instantly changes into dramatically appropriate garments forged from her Essence and infused with earthly defenses channeled from her Shotstaff.
                    While this evocation is active, the Solar or her new clothes can’t be hurt by light contact with normally damaging edges. Garments created by this Evocation have no Mobility Penalty, but count as Medium Armor for purposes of allowed Charms and Martial Arts styles. It has Soak of Solar’s (Intelligence+Lore) and Hardness of Solar’s (Intelligence). This Evocation is incompatible with other armor.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart has at least Major Tie of friendship towards Spirit of Earth who contributed to creation of this weapon. It can also be bought normally for experience.

Gaea’s Force
                    Cost: 8m ; Mins: Essence 3
                    Prerequisites: Gaea’s Vestments
                    Calling upon the power and friendship of lesser elemental dragon of earth, the Essence inside Shotstaff thunders with pure might, Solar’s attack hitting enemies with pure force of avalanche. As she attacks, phantom, barely humanoid form of stone giant erupts from her staff and giant fist follows her attack.
                    Charm is activated after a successful withering or decisive attack made at close or short range. When used with withering attack if the attack does at least as much damage as her target’s Stamina, the target is knocked down and back an entire range band. This force is sufficient to end a rush against any target.
                    When used with decisive attack if the damage roll generates at least one success, the target is knocked prone by the force of the blast. The more damaging the blow, the more forcefully her opponent will be knocked away from her:
                    For at least three successes, the opponent is lifted and bodily hurled into an object or surface within close range to him, hitting it with an impact equivalent to falling a short distance (see falling damage, p. 232), destroying any less-obdurate objects he collides with, such as wooden furniture.
                    At four or more successes, the foe is knocked into an object at close range with tremendous force, or is sent sailing a remarkable distance by the force of the blow. If the former, the opponent hits a surface with force sufficient to leave cracks in a stone wall, impacting with a surface as if he had fallen from a medium distance. If the latter, the force of the blow throws him one range band back with a short-distance falling impact.
                    At five or more successes, the foe is thrown to short range and suffers an impact like falling from a medium height.
                    At Essence 3+, double the successes for determining the distance the victim is hurled.
                    The player should include the environment in their stunts to enhance this Charm’s effectiveness, for example aim to hurl her opponent into a spike protruding from a surface, turning the damage lethal, or knock her enemy from a rooftop, causing him to suffer a fall from a much greater distance. She cannot however affects angle at which enemy is thrown (for example, she cannot throw enemy into ceiling).
                    Comment: Everybody loves Heaven Thunder Hammer. Cost increased, effects weakened by removing Initiative gain and 7+ option, added much stronger Force Without Fire as Withering option.

Aquarius’ Sphere
                    Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 2
                    Keywords: Perilous
                    It was Water Spirit who was most afraid when young Twilight left them, knowing of dangers of the world and inexperience of their young master and friend. From his concern this Evocation was born to protect her even as she left.
                    This Evocation creates mystical forcefield around Solar, shielding her from harm, imposing itself between her and strikes of her foes. This forcefield always takes Defend Other action when Solar is attacked, using Solar’s (Intelligence+Occult) dice pool. If enemy succeed at overcoming forcefield defense this Charm loses its power for (6-Solar’s Essence) actions.
                    This Charm automatically deactivates if Solar suffers Initiative Crash.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart has at least Major Tie of friendship towards Spirit of Water who contributed to creation of this weapon. It can also be bought normally for experience.

Aquarius’ Flowing Grace
                    Cost: 4m ; Mins: Essence 3
                    Keywords: Decisive-only, Perilous
                    Prerequisites: Aquarius’ Sphere
                    Calling upon the power and friendship of lesser elemental dragon of water, phantom, beautiful form of translucent humanoid erupts from her staff, mirroring Solar’s moves and attacking as she did.
                    This Evocation allows the Solar to make two decisive attack rolls and choose the better of the two results for determining damage.
                    Comment: Shadow Wind Slash (however Supplemental instead of Simple), cost 2 motes more.

Sylphe’s Wind Shield
                    Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 2
                    Duration: One turn
                    The gift of Spirit of Air was simple – by channeling her Essence, young Twilight was able to protect herself from all what would travel though air to hurt her.
                    Upon activation of this Evocation terrible winds start to blow around Solar, protecting her from arrows and different projectiles. Treat her as having full cover against normal ranged attacks, while attacks supported by magic (including Artifact weapons) suffer (Solar’s Essence) penalties. Additionally, while this Evocation is active double Solar’s movement speed.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart has at least Major Tie of friendship towards Spirit of Air who contributed to creation of this weapon. It can also be bought normally for experience.

Sylphe’s Accuracy
                    Cost: 4m ; Mins: Essence 3
                    Prerequisites: Sylphe’s Wind Shield
                    Calling upon the power and friendship of lesser elemental dragon of Air, phantom, beautiful form of winged humanoid erupts from her staff, helping to guide Solar’s attacks.
                    Supplemented attack ignores all penalties from visual (such as smoke, fog, and pitch darkness) and non-visual conditions such as high winds and so on.
                    Comment: There Is No Wind and Sight Without Eyes in one Charm as scene-long effect.

Bloodflame’s Burning Reversal
                    Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
                    Keywords: Clash, Dual
                    Spirit of Fire gift was as Spirit itself – powerful, deadly and decisive, calling on Spirits rage to protect young Chosen.
                    This Evocation allows Solar to make special (Intelligence+Occult) reflexive clash attacks against enemy Withering or Decisive attacks as flames erupt from her Shotstaff in barely humanoid form and giant fist of flame moves to intercept her enemies. This does not count as the Solar’s combat action. If Clashed attack was decisive, Solar’s win Clash and her attack does at least three health levels of damage, the target catches on fire, and must contend with (Solar’s Essence) lethal dice of damage every turn until he’s able to extinguish himself. Burning enemies don’t count as ongoing effect for purposes of Essence of Summoner effects.
                    Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when wielder of the Elemental Heart has at least Major Tie of friendship towards Spirit of Fire who contributed to creation of this weapon. It can also be bought normally for experience.

Bloodflame’s Power
                    Cost: 3m ; Mins: Essence 3
                    Prerequisites: Bloodflame’s Burning Reversal
                    Calling upon the power and friendship of lesser elemental dragon of fire, the Solar’s attack while barely humanoid form explodes around her and giant fist of flame follows her attacks.
                    Through the use of this Charm, the Solar infuse her attack with fire and boosts the damage of an attack based on the distance it’s made from, adding +4 dice against an enemy at close range, +3 against an enemy at short range and +1 to enemies further away. If the attack does at least three health levels of damage, the target catches on fire, and must contend with (Solar’s Essence) lethal dice of damage every turn until he’s able to extinguish himself.
                    If the blast strikes flammable materials, a violent blaze instantly seeks to consume the struck object. This fire is natural, and may spread to surrounding objects or cause combustible materials to explode.
                    Comment: Weaker Phoenix Flies on Golden Wings mechanic, but with added Fiery Arrow Attack burning.

Storm of Century
                    Cost: 5m, 1wp ; Mins: Essence 4
                    Keywords: Perilous
                    Prerequisites: Gaea’s Force, Aquarius’ Flowing Grace, Sylphe’s Accuracy, Bloodflame’s Power
                    Calling upon power of all her friends, young Twilight unleashed ultimate power of four elements upon the world. As she stands in the middle of four raging elements, no enemy dares to strike her.
                    When this Charm is active, Solar rolls (2xEssence) with tag Overwhelming (Essence) dices on each turn to inflict withering damage on all other characters within short range. This effect doesn’t increase Solar Initiative. Against enemies in Initiative Crash and trivial opponents this Charm constitutes an environmental hazard (Damage (Solar’s Essence+2) L/action, Difficulty (Solar’s Essence+2) ) resisted with (Dexterity+Dodge). Solar may exclude every person to whom he has some positive Intimacy from suffering effects of this Charm.
                    This Charm automatically deactivates if Solar suffers Initiative Crash.

My homebrew/rewrites:
                    2nd->3rd Edition Sorcery Spells Rewrite
                    Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Evocations
                    Solar Occult Charms for Sorcerers
                    Solar Thrown Charms (with Solar Danmaku Charms)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rahod View Post
                      The Yozi Little Red ball of Elsewhere (Artfact ***)

This Small red ball that has been see going around Mafias. Demons enjoy his ball so much for it fendish abilities. This ball was created by some unknown demon who was sick and tired of people summoning him for things he could not do like " I want to be young forever " or " Make me Immortal ".

The Yozi Little Red Ball can only be activated by a Yozi demon. The demon need only spend a single mote and then toss or give the ball to the intended target. Once the target takes the ball *Poof* they disappear. The person who vanishes is transported into elsewhere. The only way the subject can return is if the ball is reactavited in the same mannor as it was orginal used. This means who ever was sent to elsewhere returns to where they left and the new person takes there place. This only works on Exalted and Mortals.
                      I take it this could only work if the summoner failed the binding roll? If so, then it's definitely an amusing story-hook artifact.

Artifact Journeyman?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                        Omens of the Pyre [Corona + Umbra]
                        (Orichalcum, Moonsilver, and Red Jade Flame Pieces) Artifact ••••• [•••+•••]
                        After some more digging and looking at other people's artifacts, I figured I'd rework this one before it got any critique or attention. I'm more confident about the attunement bonuses and the early charms, but from Dual Omens Culling onward I'm unsure. Any critique, suggestions, or comments would seriously help my mindset x-x

Evocations of Omens of the Pyre
                        Omens of the Pyre is a single pair of flame pieces, but each piece is unique in both composition and essence. The weapons innately hold compassion toward Creation’s ilk and fury for Creation’s enemies (henceforth defined as including raksha, demons, Abyssals, and other non-divine outsiders), but most importantly, they ache to help their wielder fulfill some righteous ideal. Either piece can work on its own as a weaker, separate artifact, but together, they form a stronger, unified front.

A Solar, Lunar, or Dragon-Blooded who attunes to either piece unlocks Soul Fuels Ignition for free.

A Solar or Lunar attuned to both who invests an extra 1 mote gains 1 non-charm die on in-combat social and damage rolls.

A Dragon-Blooded attuned to both who invests an extra 1 mote gains 1 non-charm die on damage rolls.

Against enemies of Creation, so long as the wielder maintains an Initiative advantage, they receive 1 additional non-charm die (to their respective bonuses).

Soul Fuels Ignition
                        Cost:
                        2m or 3m; Mins: Essence 1
                        Keywords: Uniform

The devils of old converted internal power into external flame, setting their own essence ablaze to ignite the heart of their foe, and the wielder has learned this secret through the legend of her weapon. As the wielder inhales, she perceives flesh and bone as heart and soul, and in that moment of clarity she pulls the trigger, her own essence bursting forth as a bolt of golden gossamer flame that sets her victim’s soul alight. In their unified burning, she can read his soul as much as her own, deducing the reason for her enemy’s opposition.

This evocation allows the wielder to forgo firedust, using motes of essence instead. Further, for an additional mote, her attack is enhanced with a Read Intentions action, which receives bonus dice equal to the number of extra successes on her attack roll; if successful, the primary Intimacy that drives her opponent to fight her is revealed to her in the essence-flames. She can use this multiple times, learning different Intimacies each time, going first through those most oppositional down to those benign.

This affects battle groups, with the generally strongest opposing “intimacy” being revealed.

Wicked-Searing Coalescence
                        Cost:
                        4m; Mins: Essence 1
                        Keywords: Uniform, (Psyche)
                        Duration: Instant (One Scene)
                        Prerequisites: Soul Fuels Ignition, Corona

Many of Creation’s foes cloak themselves in deceit and shadows, and Omens of the Pyre seeks to shine the light of the Unconquered Sun’s fury upon them. As the wielder pulls the trigger and the hammer ignites the blaze, the weapon consumes the fires instantly, glowing with golden light. In that moment, divinity is channeled, and the barrel unleashes a burning ray of essence that causes even the staunchest of convictions to wither.

As raw essence instead of billowing flame, the attack’s possible range is increased by one band; as judgment manifest, the essence pressure weighs down upon the target, applying the user’s Essence in successes on the attack roll. If successful against an enemy of Creation, this additionally inflicts a -1 penalty on all rolls for the rest of the scene, the manifest effects of divine judgment on their willfully opposing essence.

Finally, if she knows the Intimacy that drives her opponent to oppose her, whether by Soul Fuels Ignition or other means, then the attack may double as an attempt to weaken that Intimacy by one level for the remainder of the scene (using [Charisma + Presence] as normal). This attempt receives bonus dice equal to the number of extra successes on her attack roll.

This affects battle groups, affecting the generally-agreed oppositional Intimacy.

Villain-Revoking Lash
                        Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 1
                        Keywords: Decisive-Only
                        Prerequisites: Soul Fuels Ignition, Umbra

Those who would openly oppose righteousness are blights on Creation, and Omens of the Pyre unveils Luna’s wild contempt at their sin. The flames unleashed in this method move unnaturally, whipping around the target’s hands and wrists (or whatever appendages are equipped with weapons) to sear them to the bone, preventing them from taking action against the wielder.

This evocation supplements a disarm attempt. The attack roll enjoys her Essence in bonus dice. If successful, the target’s weapon-wielding hand and wrist are burned, and he treats any actions with that hand with an off-hand penalty of -1 until it receives proper treatment. This charm explicitly allows disarming dual-wielders and applying the effects to both hands and wrists.

Against enemies of Creation, the off-hand penalty is instead half the number of extra successes on the Disarm Gambit roll, rounded down, minimum 1.

If the wielder knows her target’s opposing Intimacy via Soul Fuels Ignition or other means, then a successful Disarm also creates an instant Instill roll to create a Minor Tie (Fearful Respect) toward the wielder.

This charm can affect battle groups, under the condition that its cost increases by 2 motes for every Size category beyond 0, and a point of Willpower at Size 4 and above.

Purging God Presence
                        Cost:
                        — (1a per bonus success, or 3m on failure); Mins: Essence 3
                        Prerequisites: Dual Omens Culling

As her flames burn the flesh of her foes, the wielder also burns away at their will to resist her purpose; at their lowest point, foes see her empowered conviction as raw, crushing presence. Against ordinary opponents, this presence is capable of inspiring them to atone for the immorality that brought them against her; against Creation’s foes, this presence threatens to tear asunder the fabric of their existence.

Should the wielder crash her target or otherwise reach an initiative advantage of 10+, her will presses down on the disadvantaged victim, enhancing a social influence roll (determined by opponent’s classification according to Omens) of [Charisma+Presence+Essence] against Resolve.
                        • An ordinary opponent is forced to question everything that brought him against the might of the wielder. This acts as a reflexive attempt to Instill a Guilt-based Minor Tie matching the wielder’s own purpose for fighting, such that he grows to sympathize with her cause; if such a tie already exists, or if Villain-Revoking Lash successfully instilled a tie of respect, this charm attempts to elevate it while also imparting the presence of this shared bond to both combatants in a moment of empathic union.
                        • Creation’s foes feel as if the foundations of their lives are beginning to crumble as judgment settles upon them. If successful, the victim suffers a penalty on all actions equal to half the wielder’s Essence (rounded up) for the remainder of the scene.
                        If the wielder’s anima banner is at the level of Iconic/Bonfire, she may instinctively convert levels of her anima into raw, overpowering presence, adding one success per level. In the event the target resists by spending Willpower, the wielder’s righteous conviction may become mystically inflamed by their refusal, driven to seek retribution. For 3 motes, her next attack or influence roll against the same target within the same scene gains the strength of her opposed Intimacy in bonus dice.

This ability can only reoccur on the same target if that target recovers from crash, and then crashes again due to the wielder’s actions.

This affects battle groups, occurring when the Magnitude track fills up and ignoring the penalty for socially targeting multiple people.

Prophet of Hope and Hellfire
                        Cost:
                        8m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                        Type: Supplement
                        Keywords: Perilous, Psyche, Aggravated
                        Prerequisites: Purging God Presence

Just as valor must be balanced by temperance, so too must conviction be balanced by compassion, lest the righteous become the damned. The wielder aims at her target and ignites her eyes with the essence of her conviction such that they burn with the intensity of the sun’s corona, allowing her, in a moment of searing clarity, to see the language of his conviction; by her fiery will, she reaches out to insist on surrender, and she knows the results by the stature of his soul.

This charm enhances an Aim action with a Threaten action at no flurry penalty, gaining her anima level in bonus dice. Against ordinary foes, if she has instilled new Intimacies, it is instead a Persuade action playing on whichever new Intimacy is strongest, gaining the strength of the Intimacy in question in bonus dice in addition to her anima bonus; against enemies of Creation, if they have been affected by Purging God Presence, the Threaten roll instead gains her Essence in bonus dice in addition to her anima bonus.

Should her effort completely succeed, the target finds his will to fight the wielder dwindling to nothing; he feels compelled to surrender at once and hear her out, and any temporary Intimacy effects she has caused become permanent. Should he somehow be convinced to join battle against her again in the same scene, the effects of failure immediately apply.

Should her effort fail, the target perceives the coronal brilliance of her eyes turning black as the umbra of a solar eclipse, and he becomes cursed by her judgment; all Evocations henceforth treat the target as an enemy of Creation, and all her attacks on the target do aggravated damage instead of lethal, the righteous fury of wielder and weapon coming together to strike at his very soul.

Should her effort fail against one who is already considered an enemy of Creation, all attacks do aggravated damage henceforth, and her next attack becomes a guaranteed success, receiving her Essence in bonus damage dice (aggravated if decisive).

This affects battle groups, with her essence-sight judging the stature of their collective will.

Conflagrant Purification
                        Cost:
                        8m, 1wp, 1a per die; Mins: Essence 4
                        Type: Supplement
                        Keywords: Perilous, Psyche, Aggravated, Decisive-Only
                        Prerequisites: Prophet of Hope and Hellfire

Judgment has been passed, and the defendant has been declared guilty of opposing Creation in the eyes of the Omens and their wielder. The punishment is a cleansing that will burn away his impurities or his life, the inferno striking beyond his physical form.

This charm can only be used against one whose soul has resisted the effects of Prophet of Hope and Hellfire, and it supplements a decisive attack. However, rather burning at his body, it assaults his most oppositional Intimacy; as such, Resolve is used as a Gambit difficulty rather than Hardness, and it may not be enhanced using the Intimacy under assault. She may funnel the raw power of her anima into the strike, as well, gaining a bonus die for every level of flaring essence converted. Should the attack succeed at all, the Intimacy is destroyed, burned away in essence flame.

If he is insistent on saving the Intimacy, the defender may spend 1 Willpower per rank, but never completely save it, bringing it only up to a rank below its original strength. If he does this, the fires that would burn it completely are instead vented into his flesh, and he takes levels of aggravated damage equal to the successes as a normal decisive attack.

This affects battle groups, the fire of the attack swirling amongst them and seeping into each one to affect the group as a whole.

If a Defining Intimacy is destroyed, or only preserved at Minor level, a sense of success fills the wielder's soul as she knows the target has a chance at redemption yet again—refunding the point of willpower spent on the charm.

Special Activation Rules: This evocation unlocks in the event that Prophet of Hope and Hellfire is resisted.

Dual Omens Culling
                        Cost:
                        10m; Mins: Essence 5
                        Prerequisites: Wicked-Searing Coalescence; Rebuke of the Blazing Ideal

Sometimes, there is no hope of peace without action to spur it onward; as such, when the powers of Corona and Umbra are united under the purpose of a single wielder, they surge with the power of the solar eclipse, the grand omen perceived across the world as the combined ire of the Unconquered Sun and Luna. The wielder’s reflexes surge with righteous essence, and in one motion, she unleashes a two-pronged blast of flame, an attack from each piece. The outcome varies on target and attack choice:
                        • If attacking the same target twice, the first attack may be withering and the second may be decisive. If so, the player simply rolls accordingly, with the decisive attack being treated as a staggered, near-instant follow-up.
                        • If attacking the same target twice, the attacks may both be withering. If so, the player rolls attack and damage once, applying the normal flurry penalty, dealing with all soak and other effects normally, before applying the same results again.
                        • If attacking two different targets, the attacks may only be withering. Each attack is treated normally, applying the normal flurry penalty.
                        If she has learned of their opposing intent or influenced them in this battle, then the attacks carry the burning contempt of the Incarnae against those who continue to oppose the wielder, such that the wielder ignores her Essence in soak and hardness.

Against enemies of Creation, all damage rolls enjoy double 10s.
                        Last edited by Seeker; 06-21-2016, 03:06 PM.

Artifact Journeyman?

Comment

• So, I'm at total loss with trying to come up with evocations for an artifact.

My friend is playing a Righteous Devil Style cowboy inspired by Harry Dresden, and he had enough dots to start with an Artifact Heavy Firewand, along with very solid stats in all his key abilities.
                          Issue is, I can't think of any evocations or even a theme to help him with fleshing the thing out, let alone even an attunement bonus.
                          He's an Solar Eclipse, with Supernal in Occult so he can play the fantasy of a sorcerer from the get go, so he only has *three* charms in Righteous Devil: Blossom of Inevitable Demise, Cloud of Ebon Devils, and Kiss of the Sun Concentration, and they are his only offense based charms, with a few in Dodge for defense, and the rest in Presence, Socialize, Occult, and other utility charms.
                          He's specialized in his build, but relatively well off in a balanced set of skills so far, which absolutely wonderful for a first time player.

Thing is, he completely out DPS's the Solar Dawn, even without an attunement bonus or evocations from the Firewand.

At Essence 1, straight from char gen, he's able to solo any of the Dragonblooded enemies from the core book, even the Essence 3 Experienced Fireblood.
                          It's not even a fair fight, with the Fireblooded being forced to burn motes on Excellencies and defensive charms *every* turn just to stay alive from the sheer raw damage of the Righteous Devil.
                          It's even more silly when the Fireblood is Initiative Crashed on the First turn, because the Righteous Devil is allowed to reflexively aim when joining battle and has a very solid join battle pool.
                          In one of the sims we ran, the Righteous Devil managed a one-round kill on the Fireblood in the first shot, and then found out he could do so reliably:
                          Sensory Acuity Prana+Full Excellency on Join Battle to build up a very high initiative (20 successes for 23i starting).
                          Decisive attack with Blossom and Kiss of the Sun for 18 Lethal damage.

So now we're trying to come up with evocations and an attunement bonus for his Firewand, and I'm having trouble, because what could I possibly give this thing?
                          He already has all the damage he could ever ask for, and it's only going to increase as we gain essence and he can unlock the rest of the Righteous Devil Forms.
                          Giving him free parry or defenses or soak feels very wrong, because he's already able to deal so much damage that giving him resistance and tank stats to complement it is disgusting.
                          Mobility is even more gross, making it even more trivial for him to kite and stay at short or medium range.
                          I'm not sure what kind of utility to give the wands, as it all seems very broken.
                          I had the idea of letting the wand be a conduit that helps generates Sorcery Motes, but that feels wrong as well when it comes to fluff (He's the best assassin in the group anyways. Turns out, with that high Join Battle pool, and the right preparations, it's trivial to cast Flight of the Brilliant Raptor on Round 1, killing someone from long range in a giant fireball).

Comment

• Originally posted by SeibahIsMaiWaifu View Post
                            So, I'm at total loss with trying to come up with evocations for an artifact.

My friend is playing a Righteous Devil Style cowboy inspired by Harry Dresden, and he had enough dots to start with an Artifact Heavy Firewand, along with very solid stats in all his key abilities.
                            Issue is, I can't think of any evocations or even a theme to help him with fleshing the thing out, let alone even an attunement bonus.
                            He's an Solar Eclipse, with Supernal in Occult so he can play the fantasy of a sorcerer from the get go, so he only has *three* charms in Righteous Devil: Blossom of Inevitable Demise, Cloud of Ebon Devils, and Kiss of the Sun Concentration, and they are his only offense based charms, with a few in Dodge for defense, and the rest in Presence, Socialize, Occult, and other utility charms.
                            He's specialized in his build, but relatively well off in a balanced set of skills so far, which absolutely wonderful for a first time player.

Thing is, he completely out DPS's the Solar Dawn, even without an attunement bonus or evocations from the Firewand.

At Essence 1, straight from char gen, he's able to solo any of the Dragonblooded enemies from the core book, even the Essence 3 Experienced Fireblood.
                            It's not even a fair fight, with the Fireblooded being forced to burn motes on Excellencies and defensive charms *every* turn just to stay alive from the sheer raw damage of the Righteous Devil.
                            It's even more silly when the Fireblood is Initiative Crashed on the First turn, because the Righteous Devil is allowed to reflexively aim when joining battle and has a very solid join battle pool.
                            In one of the sims we ran, the Righteous Devil managed a one-round kill on the Fireblood in the first shot, and then found out he could do so reliably:
                            Sensory Acuity Prana+Full Excellency on Join Battle to build up a very high initiative (20 successes for 23i starting).
                            Decisive attack with Blossom and Kiss of the Sun for 18 Lethal damage.

So now we're trying to come up with evocations and an attunement bonus for his Firewand, and I'm having trouble, because what could I possibly give this thing?
                            He already has all the damage he could ever ask for, and it's only going to increase as we gain essence and he can unlock the rest of the Righteous Devil Forms.
                            Giving him free parry or defenses or soak feels very wrong, because he's already able to deal so much damage that giving him resistance and tank stats to complement it is disgusting.
                            Mobility is even more gross, making it even more trivial for him to kite and stay at short or medium range.
                            I'm not sure what kind of utility to give the wands, as it all seems very broken.
                            I had the idea of letting the wand be a conduit that helps generates Sorcery Motes, but that feels wrong as well when it comes to fluff (He's the best assassin in the group anyways. Turns out, with that high Join Battle pool, and the right preparations, it's trivial to cast Flight of the Brilliant Raptor on Round 1, killing someone from long range in a giant fireball).
                            RDS Eclipse seems to be super popular!

My advice, and I'm very biased as you can tell from my artifact attempt above, is to bring in different mechanics entirely that would supplement, rather than strengthen, the Righteous Devil. What types of abilities would fit well with the concept?

My take was incorporating Intimacy-attacks, with my RDS wanting to weaken the corrupt's "sinful" ties and principles to the point where they don't even want to fight or be "evil" anymore. You can see this idea in the RDS flavor (both 3E and 2E), and with the description of Caress of 1,000 Hells, which forcefully gives them a Defining Tie toward whatever redemptive path is generally agreed upon. So an artifact tied to the RDS could enhance that concept tree.

You could also go for more gambit-based evocations, such that the RDS's artifact allows him to more accurately manipulate his flames for specific purposes ("Curve the flame" rather than "Curve the bullet"), giving Disarm options, fear affects, etc.

EDIT: You could also tie it into the Occult tree if you want to synthesize the two concepts. Extra damage to spirits, stuff that supplements (rather than replicates) Occult charms, et cetera.

Artifact Journeyman?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post

RDS Eclipse seems to be super popular!

My advice, and I'm very biased as you can tell from my artifact attempt above, is to bring in different mechanics entirely that would supplement, rather than strengthen, the Righteous Devil. What types of abilities would fit well with the concept?

My take was incorporating Intimacy-attacks, with my RDS wanting to weaken the corrupt's "sinful" ties and principles to the point where they don't even want to fight or be "evil" anymore. You can see this idea in the RDS flavor (both 3E and 2E), and with the description of Caress of 1,000 Hells, which forcefully gives them a Defining Tie toward whatever redemptive path is generally agreed upon. So an artifact tied to the RDS could enhance that concept tree.

You could also go for more gambit-based evocations, such that the RDS's artifact allows him to more accurately manipulate his flames for specific purposes ("Curve the flame" rather than "Curve the bullet"), giving Disarm options, fear affects, etc.

EDIT: You could also tie it into the Occult tree if you want to synthesize the two concepts. Extra damage to spirits, stuff that supplements (rather than replicates) Occult charms, et cetera.
                              Tying it to extra damage to spirits would be a cool idea. I was toying around with passives and evocations to that this afternoon, but I don't think I have enough for a full tree.
                              Right now, I'm working with the idea of a set of fire pieces that revolve around mobility and encourage the user to constantly be fighting close to the enemy and always keep rushing rather than hanging back at medium range. Dash in, dash out, shoot, reload, move, etc.

Currently, almost all of the power budget is tied up in [Glass Slinger]. Frankly, I like it that way. It's a cool way to enable the fantasy of a gunslinger. I just hope that it's added damage is relatively balanced. At Essence 1, it's a 6d10 roll, which on average rolls 3, slowly scaling up to 5i as the user increases their essence.

Sorry, I don't think I'm sober enough to try and format this right now.

[Sacred Heath & Blood Steppes]
                              Light Artifact Fire Pieces (Orichalcum & Red Jade): ***
                              Attunement: 5m

Twin fire wands; sisters forged from the Burning Sands of the far South, their barrels hum with the golden touch of the high desert sun. Thirsty and Parched, they starve for more and more essence, requiring a Solar or Fire hearthstone to function, and essence to fire. Hammered on an anvil of sands in the kiln breathed forth by the Tyrant of the Sands, the two sisters were gifted by their Solar master the flames of the Unconquered Sun. When a Solar attunes to them once more, the desert sands will turn to glass from their burning convictions.

Evocations:
                              Passive:
                              While the Solar remains relentless in battle, [Sacred Heath & Blood Steppes] dance with glee, increasing their overwhelming damage by +2, doubled against Spirits.
                              In addition, when the Solar first learns an evocation of [Sacred Heath & Blood Steppes], he learns [Glass Slinger] for free.

[Glass Slinger] (Cost:– ; Type: Permanent; Duration: Indefinite):
                              While attuned with [Sacred Heath & Blood Steppes], if their wielder successfully lands a withering attack after supplementing an attack or rush action with an evocation of [Sacred Heath & Blood Steppes] or a charm from Righteous Devil Form, he may make a *second* attack.
                              The Solar makes a *second* attack at any target in range, rolling (Overwhelming+Essence) with double 10's and gaining initiative equal to the number of success.
                              **Might just change this to number of success on the withering damage roll, roll that many dice for the *second* attack**
                              The Solar may not supplementary or reflexively use any charms or evocations with this second attack.

[Piercing Flame] (Cost: 3m; Type: Supplemental; Duration: Instant):
                              The heat of Solar Fire melts the strongest and heaviest armors and withers them to glass. When [Piercing Flame] supplements a *withering* attack, it reduces the targets Soak by (Essence). When supplementing a *decisive* attack, it instead ignores (Essence/2, rounded up) Hardness.

[Ardent Blaze] (Cost: 3m, 3i; Type: Simple; Duration: Instant):
                              Taking aim, the Solar unleashes a fiery sun of blue-white flames that explode into a spiraling wave of fire, marking those who sin in the sands for judgement. This charm is a difficulty 2 gambit, and on success, marks the target and any enemy in close range with [Inferno Enraged], harmless blue-white flames that persist until the end of the Solar's next turn.
                              When the Solar or his ally land a *withering* attack, *gambit*, *evocation*, or *charm* on a enemy marked with [Inferno Enraged], until the end of the Solar next turn, he may double up to (Essence) 9's on a Rush action.
                              [Ardent Blaze] explicitly counts as an action that triggers [Glass Slinger]

[Relentless Pursuit] (Cost 3m; Type: Supplemental; Duration: Instant):
                              The Solar is hellbent in his pursuit, gliding over the sands as he hunts down those who dare stain the sands with dishonored blood, without a care for his own safety.
                              When the Solar flurries a *rush* or *disengage* action, the defense penalty he suffers increases to -2, but the flurry penalty he takes is reduced to -1.

Comment

• Benevolent Unyielding Patron (Artifact 3)

This lovingly crafted white jade chain shirt was created only two decades after the Great Contagion by Amilar Hadates, a renowned warrior of the Seventh Legion. For decades Hadates had known no fear on the battlefield, even when it seemed the whole world was dying all around him and legions of monstrous Fair Folk invaded. He only truly tasted fear for the first time when his freshly exalted daughter told him that she wished to leave Lookshy and explore what remains of the world. As Hadates would be unable to keep her safe while she was gone, he created Benevolent Unyielding Patron to do just that.

A Dragonblood or Solar Exalt who commits two extra motes when attuning to Benevolent Unyielding Patron finds that when she struggles he will always be there to make things better. After taking initiative damage from a withering attack, Benevolent Unyielding Patron returns one point of initiative to his wearer, seeking to soothe his charge.

It’s Dangerous Out There
                                Cost: 1m per die Mins: Essence 1

The world is a dangerous place that the young are seldom prepared to face. Luckily, Benevolent Unyielding Patron knows that foes that may seem deadly to a child are still prone to exploitable flaws.

When the wearer of this armor is hit by a withering attack and her enemy rolls damage, she may spend one mote per 1 in the enemy’s damage roll. For every mote spent, the enemy must reroll successful damage dice, starting with 10s and working down from there. Against a decisive attack, the number of motes spent cannot exceed the wearer’s essence.

This evocation unlocks for an attuned Dragonblood or Solar wearer at no cost when she is crashed by an obviously superior opponent or when her last -2 health level is filled in. Unlocking the evocation will retroactively allow it to be used on the attack that crashed or damaged her.

They Only Want One Thing
                                Cost: 8m Mins: Essence 2
                                Duration: One Scene
                                Prerequisites: It’s Dangerous Out There

Children do not have the experience or wisdom of their parents. They trust anyone. Benevolent Unyielding Patron knows better; one should never let down one’s guard, even amongst those who seem like friends.

For the rest of the scene after activating this evocation, Benevolent Unyielding Patron helps his wearer prepare for attacks from those she is cautious of. These are individuals that the wearer has succeeded on a Read Intentions action during the scene. Against such foes (or friends), increase Benevolent Unyielding Patron’s armored soak by 4 and hardness by 2 as well as the wearer’s Resolve by 1. In addition, whenever such a person within short range fails at a non-trivial action they are attempting, she may spend one mote to gain a point of initiative.

When activating this evocation the wearer may reflexively use a Read Intentions action against a single target. Using this evocation makes it impossible to form or strengthen positive intimacies towards anyone that the wearer has used a Read Intentions action on for one day (except by magic).

Always Watching Over You
                                Cost: 6m, 1wp Mins: Essence 3
                                Keywords: Decisive-only, Perilous
                                Prerequisites: They Only Want One Thing

What the wearer of Benevolent Unyielding Patron needs to understand is that everything that she accomplishes is only because she had such a caring figure watching over her.

When being attacked by a deadly blow, Benevolent Unyielding Patron will himself strike back against a foe. Using Always Watching Over You creates an immediate clash against a decisive attack (including attacks for which the wearer could not apply her defense) using a pool equal to her Soak with [Essence] automatic successes. Succeeding at the clash causes blades, arrows, or fists to rebound back at their attacker with a damage pool equal to the wearer’s Resolve plus the strength of any negative intimacy she bears for the attacker or something he represents.

This evocation may only be used once until it is reset by spending a scene consoling oneself with or seeking wisdom from an elder or authority figure (never an equal).
                                Last edited by Kunoichi; 09-11-2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X