Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aranfan
    replied
    I actually added a thing to the end making it stronger. Not sure how balanced it is

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Aranfan View Post

I think it is a bit too mean, and it doesn't really fit the image I have in my head of Jubilant Harp's legend. Maybe somthing more along the lines of::

The Show Must Go On
    Cost: 6m, 1WP Min: Essence ?
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Psyche
    Duration: ???
    Prerequisites: Pied Guitarist Of Hell

The hatred and rage Malfeas feels towards the Solar Exalted knows no bounds, yet when the mortal performer exalted as a Zenith right in front of him, his hand was stayed by the quality and emotional resonance of the song. If Music can calm the rage of Malfeas then what being can resist being similarly swayed?

This charm acts as a performance based Persuade action with (Essence) non-charm automatic successes against the guitarist's enemies to allow the musician and his allies to flee. This persuasion costs an extra point of Willpower to resist.
    That works too. Seems fine at Essence 3. Duration seems like Indefinite, as you'd hold on to it until you've successfully Withdrawn.

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

I see no reason for Pied Guitarist from Hell to have a Willpower in the cost. 5m would be fine, imo. Add it it that successive uses increase the intensity of the Principle.

Dance to Your Doom
    Cost: 6m, 1WP Min: Essence 4
    Duration: One Round
    Prerequisites: Pied Guitarist from Hell

The guitarist plays a melody that cannot be resisted, much to the dismay of those who hear it. The guitarist beings performing a song that infects those who hear it via a Performance-based Persuade roll that gains double-9's to inspire the desire the dance. On a success, the target is compelled to dance causing a penalty to Defense equal to 1 + Intimacy's strength if they hold a Principle of love for dance. This persuasion costs an extra point of Willpower to resist, and if it is resisted, their defense is still reduced by 1 for a single round. Each time a target is damaged to the point of increasing a level of wound penalty, they may choose to enter another Decision Point to attempt to shake off the influence.

This evocation may be continued on successive rounds for 5m each round, but if it stops, it must be paid in full to begin again. The guitarist may not take any non-reflexive actions while performing.

(This one might be too mean)

I think it is a bit too mean, and it doesn't really fit the image I have in my head of Jubilant Harp's legend. Maybe somthing more along the lines of::

The Show Must Go On
    Cost: 6m, 1WP Min: Essence ?
    Duration: ???
    Prerequisites: Pied Guitarist Of Hell

The hatred and rage Malfeas feels towards the Solar Exalted knows no bounds, yet when the mortal performer exalted as a Zenith right in front of him, his hand was stayed by the quality and emotional resonance of the song. If Music can calm the rage of Malfeas then what being can resist being similarly swayed?

This charm acts as a performance based Persuade action with (Essence) non-charm automatic successes against the guitarist's enemies to allow the musician and his allies to flee. This persuasion costs an extra point of Willpower to resist. Each use of this charm counts as a new argument for the purpose of decision points.
    Last edited by Aranfan; 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied

I see no reason for Pied Guitarist from Hell to have a Willpower in the cost. 5m would be fine, imo. Add it it that successive uses increase the intensity of the Principle.

Dance to Your Doom

The guitarist plays a melody that cannot be resisted, much to the dismay of those who hear it. The guitarist beings performing a song that infects those who hear it via a Performance-based Persuade roll that gains double-9's to inspire the desire the dance. On a success, the target is compelled to dance causing a penalty to Defense equal to 1 + Intimacy's strength if they hold a Principle of love for dance. This persuasion costs an extra point of Willpower to resist, and if it is resisted, their defense is still reduced by 1 for a single round. Each time a target is damaged to the point of increasing a level of wound penalty, they may choose to enter another Decision Point to attempt to shake off the influence.

This evocation may be continued on successive rounds for 5m each round, but if it stops, it must be paid in full to begin again. The guitarist may not take any non-reflexive actions while performing.

Beautiful.

Edit: Also, shouldn't Pied Guitarist of Hell have a prerequisite? Or am I not understanding how evocation trees work?
    Also, yes, and Avoidance Kata. Suggested edits made to original post.
    Last edited by Octopoid; 07-07-2016, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Octopoid View Post
    You know, if you wanted to chime in with a capstone Evocation, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Dance to Your Doom

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    Well then...

You know, if you wanted to chime in with a capstone Evocation, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Well then...

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied
    And now I'm trying to imagine what a 5 dot version of the Emperor of Hellfire and Ash would look like. Only thing that comes to mind is letting the other evocations augment Silver Voiced Nightingale stuff as if they were performance rolls. Or upgrading Kiais to medium weapons.

But I can't help but feel that's too specific, and while my Zenith does favor brawl, he isn't yet a martial artist.

I dunno,

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied

Damn. That's... good. For a 4-dot Artifact, on a Performance roll? I'm inclined to leave it functioning that way. Especially since your character is a Solar.

Coolio. I hope you can come up with a capstone, cause I'm stumped. On reflection I have to say I really like the Pied Guitarist of Hell Evocation. It's wonderfully evocative of the scene I have in my head of Jubilant Harp* giving a command performance to the Brass Dancer and his Souls, and rolling all 10s.

And I just realized why they are called evocations.

*The name I decided on for the Zenith.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    You know, I just realized that with the Sid Excellency reducing the TN to 4, Malfeas-Pleasing Performance knocking it down to 3, and Hellforged Wonder of Sound rerolling 1s and 2s, a Sidereal using it can only roll successes. Intended functionality, acceptable for a 4 dot artifact, or too good?
    Damn. That's... good. For a 4-dot Artifact, on a Performance roll? I'm inclined to leave it functioning that way. Especially since your character is a Solar.

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied

That's fair. Also, I didn't want to re-roll 6s if we're going to reduce the TN to 6, as that ruins some of the effectiveness. So, yeah, re-rolling 2s and adding to other splats' functionality.

Cool.

You know, I just realized that with the Sid Excellency reducing the TN to 4, Malfeas-Pleasing Performance knocking it down to 3, and Hellforged Wonder of Sound rerolling 1s and 2s, a Sidereal using it can only roll successes. Intended functionality, acceptable for a 4 dot artifact, or too good?

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    Hmm, there's already a Solar Performance charm that rerolls 1s and gives a single auto-success, although the reroll's 2s is different functionality and other splats might not get that sort of effect in their native charmset.
    That's fair. Also, I didn't want to re-roll 6s if we're going to reduce the TN to 6, as that ruins some of the effectiveness. So, yeah, re-rolling 2s and adding to other splats' functionality.

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied

Edits and additional Evocation added in quoted text.

EDIT: I'd like to come up with one more Evocation to really cap the whole thing off at 4 dots. I'm working on something - it's percolating. I'll post it as soon as it coalesces.

Hmm, there's already a Solar Performance charm that rerolls 1s and gives a single auto-success, although the reroll's 2s is different functionality and other splats might not get that sort of effect in their native charmset.

Edit: Also, shouldn't Pied Guitarist of Hell have a prerequisite? Or am I not understanding how evocation trees work?

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    So Something like:

Emperor of Hellfire and Ash (Orichalcum and Starmetal Motonic Amplification Instrument - Artifact ****)

Evocations of Emperor of Hellfire and Ash

By attuning to the Emperor of Hellfire and Ash, a Solar or Sidereal gains a bonus non-charm die to Performance actions involving the instrument, on top of the normal die for its Exceptional quality.

Hellforged Wonder of Sound
    Cost: 2m, Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One Performance Action
    Prerequisites: None

Emperor of Hellfire and Ash sparks with green fire as the Exalt strums out a tune worthy of the ages. This Evocation supplements a Performance action, re-rolling 1s and 2s until 1s and 2s fail to appear.

Malfeas-Pleasing Performance
    Cost: 2m, Mins: Essence 2
    Type: Supplemental
    Prerequisites: Hellforged Wonder of Sound

The Emperor of Hellfire and Ash was forged to honor a musician who played the greatest song in the world for The King of Hell, and all later songs played on it glory in that tribute. This Evocation supplements a Performance action, reducing the target number for that action by one (normally to 6).

Munificent Synthesizer Emulation
    Cost: --, Mins: Essence 2
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Malfeas-Pleasing Performance

The Emperor of Hellfire and Ash hides within it the secrets of timbre, as well as pitch and volume. At no cost, the Emperor of Hellfire and Ash may produce the sound of any instrument the Exalt desires, eliminating any penalties for not having the proper instrument. A strum on the brass strings could produce the melodious whistle of a flute, the discordant blurt of a bagpipe, or even the percussive effects of a drum. Players are encouraged to use this as appropriate stunt fodder.

Pied Guitarist of Hell
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 3
    Prerequisites: Munificent Synthesizer Emulation

The song performed by the first bearer of the Emperor of Hellfire and Ash brought the Brass Dancer to his feet, and when Malfeas rises to dance, all present follow suit. This Evocation functions as a Performance-based Instill action, made with (Essence) automatic successes. If the roll overcomes a target's Resolve, he or she gains a Minor Principle of "I love to dance." Demons have their Resolve reduced by two against this effect, and the Intimacy so instilled is at Major strength. Repeated uses of this Evocation can increase the strength of an instilled Intimacy.
    Edits and additional Evocation added in quoted text.

EDIT: I'd like to come up with one more Evocation to really cap the whole thing off at 4 dots. I'm working on something - it's percolating. I'll post it as soon as it coalesces.
    Last edited by Octopoid; 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Binary Phantom
    replied

Thanks for the feedback, I've updated the artifact and hope you like the changes I've made.

So in practice, this is effectively 1-2 non-charm automatic successes to join battle rolls. I would not grant that for 0m. I'm not sure what the appropriate cost is, but free ain't it. (As I've stated before, I'm bad at pricing non-charm dice/suc costs, but I know they're good)
    Fair, changed the effect to be more like how Orichalcum Hunting Hawk's attunement benefit works.

That is a big defense bonus. And it's non-charm again, in that it doesn't interact with the dice cap, it just changes your value to be higher. I might add a Willpower to the cost of this, also because upgrading ambushes to surprise attacks is strong (but a cool power). How does the "next turn" timescale work if someone activates it outside of combat, anticipating an attack soon? How long does it last? Because 1 turn is very quick. Otherwise, a neat evocation.
    Willpower cost added and modified how the timing works for using it before combat.

This is a potentially powerful evocation for 3m. It's reflexive so it can be used every time they are attacked in combat pretty easily, constantly depriving their foes of Initiative. I'm debating with myself on how to recommend balancing that effect, whether it should be more cost or a limit to how often it can be used per target. Also, it needs language stating that you have to use this evocation to gain that first benefit. As it's worded now, it just says any time you receive a Withering attack after using Hear the Pulse of Creation, which makes it sound free. I'm ok with the rest of it, but it definitely needs a cost bump at least, and may need a use limiter.
    Clarified and gave it an increasing usage cost with a reset clause.

Whew! That's potent! I've given it some thought and I think I'm good with it. Debating whether it needs another mote or two in cost, because of how strong this counterattack is and the potential to gain Initiative Shift so quickly. Maybe it can only be used once per scene too. Otherwise, I like it.
    Made it once per opponent per ability and increased the cost by 1m.

This is, frankly, a very cool evocation and my favorite one of the tree.
    Mine too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X