Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aranfan
    replied
    Maybe something lowering resolve? I dunno.

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied
    So Something like:

GUITAR NEEDS NAME BADLY

By attuning to "ARTIFACT NAME" the Exalt gains a non-charm die to performance actions involving the instrument, on top of the normal one for being Exceptional.

Hellforged Wonder of Sound
    Cost: 2m, Requirements: Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Duration: One Performance Action

"ARTIFACT NAME" sparks with green fire as the exalt strums out a tune worthy of the ages.

Reroll 6s until sixes fail to appear.

Malfeas Pleasing Performance
    Cost: 2m, Requirements: Essence 2
    Type: Supplemental
    Duration: Instant

"ARTIFACT NAME" was forged to honor a musician who played the best song in the world for The King of Hell, and all later songs played on it glory in that tribute.

Target number for the Performance action supplemented is 6 instead of 7.

Munificent Synthesizer Emulation
    Cost: --, Requirements: Essence 3
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent

"ARTIFACT NAME" hides within it the secrets of timbre, as well as pitch and volume. "ARTIFACT NAME" may sound like any instrument the Exalt desires. Eliminating any penalties for not having the proper instrument.

And my creative well has run dry.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
    Isn't that just what Performance does normally?
    Yeah, but add a Psyche effect. I like Walker's suggestion about making people dance. That seems like something Ligier might throw in. And yeah, more green fire effects! Make every Evocation come with a visual display of green flames or something like that!

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Octopoid View Post

I would recommend a non-Charm die to Performance rolls for an attunement bonus. It's a simple workhorse. Likewise, I would make the first Evocation the dice trick you mentioned: TN6 for Performance (or re-roll 6s, or something like that). Then break into "sounds like any instrument" Evocation, which reduces penalties (no hard rock at the satrap's birthday party? Play some mellow jazz instead!) and serves as explicit stunt fodder.
    Hmm, that sounds pretty good. Maybe have both TN6 and Reroll 6s as different evocations? This is supposed to be a 4 dot artifact.

Finally, cap that sucker with something mind-influencing, something that can make an Instill action or even a Persuade action at a whole room of people at once.
    Isn't that just what Performance does normally?

Leave a comment:

• Walker of the Yellow Path
    replied
    It's Ligier made, so it probably has some green fire themes in it.

Just throwing Charm tree idea at the wall here right now:

A charm that lets you compel listeners to dance.

Charm that makes dancer's who are dancing along to it better, with accompanying green fire effects on the feet and hands.

Charm that awakens the inner fury inside the hearts of the dancers, turning them into Beautiful and Graceful bezerkers who snap the necks of people trying to stop the music.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    So I am drawing a blank on an artifact idea and this seems like the proper thread to share. The artifact is a guitar for my Zenith. He was a good enough musician as a mortal that Malfeas invited him to hell to give a command performance, and he exalted during the event right in front of Malfeas, Ligier, et al. Sensing an opportunity to put a solar in his debt, Ligier made several artifacts for the Zenith including a 4 dot artifact guitar as a "proper instrument".

Thing is I'm stuck on what it should do and what it's possible evocations might be. I know I want it to be able to sound like any instrument, but that seems kinda tame for a 4-dot artifact so I need something else in addition. My current placeholder is TN6 for performance rolls involving it, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Also completely blanking on Evocations.

Help?
    I would recommend a non-Charm die to Performance rolls for an attunement bonus. It's a simple workhorse. Likewise, I would make the first Evocation the dice trick you mentioned: TN6 for Performance (or re-roll 6s, or something like that). Then break into "sounds like any instrument" Evocation, which reduces penalties (no hard rock at the satrap's birthday party? Play some mellow jazz instead!) and serves as explicit stunt fodder. Finally, cap that sucker with something mind-influencing, something that can make an Instill action or even a Persuade action at a whole room of people at once.

That's my thoughts. TUH may have more input.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    The trick with Guitars is that the Performance ability doesn't have a lot of hooks to hang things off of. A lot of what you CAN do with it is already done by Performance charms, and I'm not sure I see the design space. The other direction is to make it a weapon, but then it's just Nightengale Style. If we flesh it out a little more, I'll consider it.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    If you feel like expanding outside of weapons and armor, you could make the guitar I mentioned for my Rockstar Zenith (Made by Ligier, if it matters).
    I'd personally love to see the guitar as designed by The Unsung Hero.

Leave a comment:

• Aranfan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

I admit I'm feeling like I'd like to create something new again, but work just exploded on me and it's possible I won't have any time for the next month or two to create anything at all. But if someone sees a hole in this list and wants to request a concept from me, I'll keep it on the backburner to do either if I get a bored moment, or whenever this project at work is finished. As usual, I make no promises that I'll use anything suggested, but some of my favorite artifacts ended up being suggested by others so this is a working strategy for me thusfar.
    If you feel like expanding outside of weapons and armor, you could make the guitar I mentioned for my Rockstar Zenith (Made by Ligier, if it matters).

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Been a while so I thought I'd update my list. I've now made 20 Artifacts.

Artifact types
    Goremaul--------------1
    Warfans--------------- 1
    Grand Grimcleaver 1
    Shield------------------ 2
    Longfang-------------- 1
    Razor Harness------ 1
    Skycutter--------------1
    Chain Shirt----------- 1
    Powerbow------------- 1
    Reaper Daiklave---- 1
    Wrackstaff------------ 2
    Articulated Plate---- 1
    Grand Daiklave------ 1
    Smashfist------------- 1
    Direlash---------------- 1
    Grand Goremaul-----1
    Grimoire-----------------1
    Daggers-----------------1

Magical Materials (1 means a single material was used, 2 means it was half the materials used. Takes two 2's to make 1 artifact)
    Black Jade-------------2 1
    Blue Jade---------------2 1 2
    White Jade-------------2 1 2
    Green Jade-------------1 1
    Red Jade----------------2 1
    Orichalcum-------------2 1 2 1 1 1
    Moonsilver--------------1 2 1
    Starmetal----------------2 1
    Soulsteel----------------1 2 2

Artifact 3-----------------10
    Artifact 4-----------------6
    Artifact 5-----------------4

I admit I'm feeling like I'd like to create something new again, but work just exploded on me and it's possible I won't have any time for the next month or two to create anything at all. But if someone sees a hole in this list and wants to request a concept from me, I'll keep it on the backburner to do either if I get a bored moment, or whenever this project at work is finished. As usual, I make no promises that I'll use anything suggested, but some of my favorite artifacts ended up being suggested by others so this is a working strategy for me thusfar.

Love seeing all the work everyone's doing. Still surprised at the creative things I see done on this thread!

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Evocations of the Demonic Tattoos of Cecaelia
    Your writing is bad and you should feel bad. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

But seriously, this is awesome stuff. No commentary really. Mechanically it seems fine, as long as an ST permits it. My only hesitations are whether to allow evocations (or charms really) to add mutations to sentient creatures, which is usually the realm of Workings. But with the focus on 1st Circle Demons and considering the source, that feels like a ST arbitration to me.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Binary Phantom View Post
    Lakashim, the Pulse of Life
    ●●●● Artifact: Green Jade Silken Armor

Attunement
    Additional Benefits Cost: 0m
    At their discretion, the wearer can add their Performance ability to their join battle result instead of 3 when calculating initiative.
    So in practice, this is effectively 1-2 non-charm automatic successes to join battle rolls. I would not grant that for 0m. I'm not sure what the appropriate cost is, but free ain't it. (As I've stated before, I'm bad at pricing non-charm dice/suc costs, but I know they're good)

Hear the Pulse of Creation
    Cost: 5m
    Mins: Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    One Line Summary: Sense all living things nearby, quick bump to defenses, and downgrade ambush and surprise attacks to surprise attacks and normal attacks, respectively

By closing their eyes and opening their senses to Lakashim, the wearer can hear the local beat of the Worldsong. For the rest of the scene, the wearer is aware of all the life around them, gaining a general sense of any creature with a functional heartbeat within medium range. This does not give them an exact location but will provide an accurate number of how many living beings are in each respective range band, whether visible or not. With this information, the wearer is also better armed against unexpected attacks, treating successful ambushes as surprise attacks, and successful surprise attacks as normal attacks, respectively. Additionally, after activation, the wearer’s defense is considered 2 higher until their next turn. At Essence 4, the sensory range upgrades to long range. Useable once per scene.
    That is a big defense bonus. And it's non-charm again, in that it doesn't interact with the dice cap, it just changes your value to be higher. I might add a Willpower to the cost of this, also because upgrading ambushes to surprise attacks is strong (but a cool power). How does the "next turn" timescale work if someone activates it outside of combat, anticipating an attack soon? How long does it last? Because 1 turn is very quick. Otherwise, a neat evocation.

Pounding Dance of the Worldheart
    Cost: 3m
    Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: Dual, Perilous
    Prerequisite Charms: Hear the Pulse of Creation
    One Line Summary: By moving in tandem with opponents, their withering attacks reward them with less initiative, gambits are more difficult to execute and cost more, and responding with a gambit costs no initiative.

Once in tune with the rhythm of the Creation, the wearer now moves with a grace that can only come from following the steps in the dance of all life. In a scene where the wearer has used Hear the Pulse of Creation, an attacker gains only half of the initiative lost (round up) from withering attack against the wearer and does not receive any bonus if they crash the wearer. The wearer loses the full amount of initiative, the attacker simply can’t seem to take advantage of the situation nearly as well as normal.

Additionally, the wearer can use this evocation in reaction to a gambit against them, increasing the difficulty of the incoming gambit by 1. Consequently, this will cost the attacker an additional 1 initiative. For successful gambits with variable difficulty, the attacker reaps the reward of the pre-altered difficulty of the gambit instead of the new difficulty’s reward.

In either case, the wearer can ignore the initiative cost to commit a gambit against the attacker on their next turn.
    This is a potentially powerful evocation for 3m. It's reflexive so it can be used every time they are attacked in combat pretty easily, constantly depriving their foes of Initiative. I'm debating with myself on how to recommend balancing that effect, whether it should be more cost or a limit to how often it can be used per target. Also, it needs language stating that you have to use this evocation to gain that first benefit. As it's worded now, it just says any time you receive a Withering attack after using Hear the Pulse of Creation, which makes it sound free. I'm ok with the rest of it, but it definitely needs a cost bump at least, and may need a use limiter.

Rebounding Inner Rhythm
    Cost: 6m 1W
    Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: Withering-Only, Counterattack
    Prerequisite Charms: Pounding Dance of the Worldheart
    One Line Summary: Upon crashing, make a withering counterattack and gain crash protection for 2 turns
    Like the silence between heartbeats, sometimes the course of Lakashim falls to rise again with fiercer determination. Upon suffering initiative crash, the wearer can return the favor with a counterattack, making a withering attack that ignores an amount of the attacker’s defense equal to the amount of initiative below 1 the wearer is now, to a maximum of ignoring all but 1 defense. If the counterattack results in an initiative shift, the wearer cannot be crashed for the next 2 rounds, never dropping below 1 initiative despite the efforts of their opponents.
    Whew! That's potent! I've given it some thought and I think I'm good with it. Debating whether it needs another mote or two in cost, because of how strong this counterattack is and the potential to gain Initiative Shift so quickly. Maybe it can only be used once per scene too. Otherwise, I like it.

One Pulse, One Soul, One Act
    Cost: -
    Mins: Essence 4
    Keywords: Perilous
    Prerequisite Charms: Pounding Dance of the Worldheart
    One Line Summary: When your action sync’s up with an ally’s attack, chance to share some successes between both of them
    When many things move in harmony and act as one, Lakashim beats loudest. After Hear the Pulse of Creation, whenever the wearer attacks an opponent on the same tick as an ally, they both may reroll an unsuccessful die once, sharing all successes rolled.

Example: Wearer rolls 2 successes and their ally rolls 0 successes. They both reroll one die apiece, both of which roll a 10, coming up with 4 successes between both of them. The wearer now has 7 successes and the ally has 4 successes.

All allies that have a pulse that are attacking the same target at the same time may partake in this reroll, adding their successes to the shared result, but must do so after all other reroll mechanics. None of the shared dice can trigger a botch, nor can they be target of magic that steals successes or treats their failures as successes for the opponent. Those who cannot reroll an unsuccessful die cannot partake.
    This is, frankly, a very cool evocation and my favorite one of the tree.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    Also I shed a single tear for the Lunar who's Solar queen did not love him like he thought she did.
    As always, thank you for your input! Suggested changes made.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    First-Striking Dawn (Orichalcum and Moonsilver Infinite Chakram - Artifact ***)

Evocations of First-Striking Dawn
    When a Solar or Lunar attunes to First-Striking Dawn for two additional motes, she gains a +1 non-Charm die bonus on Join Battle rolls.
    I'm not great at judging the effective cost of non-charm dice but my gut would be to put this at 1m.

Striking First
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
    Prerequisites: None

First-Striking Dawn is not a complex weapon, forged with a single goal. To that end, she seems to almost materialize in her wielder's hand in her moment of need. This Evocation can be used to enhance a Join Battle roll, allowing its bearer to re-roll 6s on that roll until 6s no longer appear. If the user wins Join Battle, she may reflexively take a Draw/Ready Weapon action to ready First-Striking Dawn.
    You can already reflexively Draw/Ready a Weapon when you roll Join Battle. Like, by default. So that portion of this evocation is not useful. Otherwise, it seems fine.

Sure-Striking Dawn
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
    Keywords: Dual
    Prerequisites: Striking First

The second Evocation of First-Striking Dawn, and the most potent yet unlocked by its bearers, is a surety of purpose that comes with unhesitating speed. If the wielder's Initiative is higher than his target's, he may activate this Evocation to supplement an attack against the target. By doing so, he re-rolls all 1s and 2s on the attack roll until 1s and 2s fail to appear.
    You love your 3m evocations, don't you? Seems fine.

Dawn's Final Kiss
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
    Keywords: Decisive-only
    Prerequisites: Sure-Striking Dawn

The final secret of First-Striking Dawn is her true name - Last-Striking Dawn. A decisive attack supplemented by this Evocation counts 10s on its damage roll as two successes.

Special Activation Rules: This final Evocation is unlocked when a user who meets the prerequisites loves her mate without compunction or reservation and seals that love with a kiss. The wielder must be a Solar or Lunar, must have a Defining Tie of Love toward their Solar/Lunar mate, and must kiss that mate while holding First-Striking Dawn. At that moment, Dawn's Final Kiss awakens at no experience cost.
    You can probably condense this rule as "grants double 10's" because that's a thing. My gut says 3m is a little too cheap, I might make it 4 or 5m.

Also I shed a single tear for the Lunar who's Solar queen did not love him like he thought she did.

Leave a comment:

• Octopoid
    replied
    At the risk of being too prolific, I've also made Evocations for some demonic tattoos, like Mara's but for Cecaelia, the Heartless Sentinel, a custom 2CD I made back in 2nd Ed. Thoughts and feedback are much welcome!

Evocations of the Demonic Tattoos of Cecaelia

Turn the Tides
    Cost: None; Mins: Essence 1
    Keywords: Mute

Cecaelia, the Heartless Sentinel, draws her power from Kimbery, the Sea that Marched Against the Flame, and her sorcerers draw similar power from the ocean. Once per story, when fully submerged in a body of water at least four range bands across, the sorcerer may benefit from a free full Occult Excellency. Note that this Charm has the Mute Keyword; the sorcerer's power is never obvious.

Power from the Sea
    Cost: None; Mins: Essence 2
    Prerequisites: Turn the Tides

Sorcery is draining on the reserves of a sorcerer; Cecaelia understands this, and reinvigorates her chosen. Once per story, when submerged in a body of water at least four range bands across, the sorcerer may regain one point of temporary Willpower. This cannot take the sorcerer above his normal maximum.

Cecaelian Manipulation
    Cost: None (+1WP); Mins: Essence 3

The demons summoned by a sorcerer of Cecaelia are often touched by her power and her form. The sorcerer may spend one extra point of Willpower when casting Demon of the First Circle to grant the summoned demon Gills (as per the three-dot Merit) and allow it to swim at its normal movement speed (generally one range band per turn). These benefits last until the demon is killed or its service ends, and always come with some visible alteration to the beast's anatomy. Blood Apes altered by this Evocation might have a strong tail instead of legs, while a Beauteous Wasp might have fins instead of wings.

Cecaelian Mastery
    Cost: None; Mins: Essence 4
    Prerequisites: Cecaelian Manipulation

This Evocation permanently enhances its prerequisite, further mutating the demons so summoned and altered. In addition to the normal effects of Cecaelian Manipulation, Cecaelian Mastery grants the demon a non-Charm bonus die to all rolls made while submerged. This Evocation yet further alters the demon's appearance, making it unquestionably aquatic in nature. Blood Apes may retain only the barest vestige of fur, replaced by glistening scales and a series of thick, writhing tentacles in place of legs, while a Beauteous Wasp may have traded in its legs for ephemeral yet beautiful undulating fins.

Pull of the Tides
    Cost: None; Mins: Essence 4
    Prerequisites: Cecaelian Mastery, Power from the Sea

Even the immutable nature of sorcery can be mutable when exposed to the ever-changing waters of the sea. When the sorcerer is fully submerged in any body of water at least four range bands across, his control spell automatically alters to contain aspects of the ocean or ocean life (he may cast Invulnerable Skin of Bronze only to find himself covered in protective barnacles, for example, while Death of Obsidian Butterflies might produce razor-sharp coral anemones instead). Further, once per story, he may invoke this Evocation at no cost to empower his control spell while so submerged. If he does so, the sorcerer finds the spell's cost reduced by either 5 sorcerous motes (to a minimum of 5) or one Willpower (to a minimum of 1).

Reading Kimbery's Depths
    Cost: 10m, 1w; Mins: Essence 5
    Type: Simple
    Prerequisites: Pull of the Tides

In the deepest waters of Kimbery, there are enchanted secrets and forbidden futures. With this final Evocation, the sorcerer can tap into those secrets to find (or craft) a future for himself that is pleasing to him. When the sorcerer uses this Evocation, he describes an event or end he wishes to accomplish. When he completes this description, he plucks that future from Kimbery's depths, gaining (Essence) non-Charm dice to be held in reserve. The greater the detail of the future, the more potent this Evocation becomes; add any stunt dice for the description to these non-Charm dice. For the remainder of the story, the sorcerer may draw from this pool to add up to two non-Charm dice to any roll that is taken in accordance with the fell prophecy he has created. The Storyteller is the final arbiter of what counts as "accordance," but in general, if the sorcerer is acting toward his desired end, he should be able to draw from the pool.
    Last edited by Octopoid; 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM. Reason: Added Reading Kimbery's Depths

Leave a comment:

Working...
X