No announcement yet.

[3E] The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you both. I kind of figured as much, especially looking through the WR charms and trying to find some way to synergize.

I know I'm going about it backwards, but at this point it's the only path I really have without pulling teeth and getting him to spend time reading and digging and plotting long before our sessions begin.

I suppose, as long as I'm keeping some manner of Nature's Reclaiming Prana fluff and foregoing evocations until some later date, I should probably leave that as the first evocation and make the 'attunement bonus' that free unlock, thus leaving him to figure it out over time. Once again, thanks so much!

Artifact Journeyman?

Comment

• Been a while since I've used this place, but since I've been playing again my brain is starting to tick. I've asked my GM to let me have Searing Wisdom eventually in the game, but he said that if I have a fancy custom artifact, I have to design ones for each of the other players as well. Challenge accepted!

Player 1 is a Giant amazon woman barefisted unarmored brawler dawn. She prefers to remain unarmed and unarmored. Brawl is a great place to launch from, but it's tricky when they want to use their bare fists. So I'm thinking a bracer or something to aid in Brawl stuff. I've considered cannibalizing Torrid Pugilism for the concept and that's my default idea if I can't come up with something else, but I'm hoping to come up with something better. This one is going to have to get creative.

Player 2 is actually my wife, who is playing an aristocratic charming swordsman from Onyx, who's family helped set up the newly deceased with a good second living. He (the character's a guy) is very posh, very fancy, and very "proper" and fights with a straight sword. Currently uses Light armor (buff jacket). This one is actually giving me a little more trouble than the brawler because I've spent so long ignoring swords that I don't have any great ideas. Since the character has an affinity and affection for the dead (a fun duality, since he's a Zenith) I'm thinking maybe something with soulsteel, but I could easily see it going in a different direction. Maybe something to aid in Social stuff, since he's a social monster. This could be a sword weapon or light armor.

I'm looking for broad ideas and themes here that I can then spin into mechanics. I'm lacking the concept that could then be turned into a cool item. So forumites, anyone got some thoughts?

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Unsung, first off, what level of artifact are you aiming for with these? A level 3 artifact looks pretty different from a level 5.

I think your instinct with bracers is dead-on, that's the first thing I thought with a brawler. If she's staying unarmored, it's probably the best option. Maybe focus on some defensive powers, such as deflecting missile attacks towards others, or allowing a counterattacking disarm gambit against melee attacks as strikes ring off the metal.

Going with the defensive theme, there's no reason to necessarily focus on a weapon for player 2. A snazzy suit of armor could work just as well. To go along with the posh, refined theme, it could have some benefits akin to Silken Armor, not looking like armor, or some other side benefits like being instantly don-able with a single action or something like that, maybe adding on an effect like Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light to make it clean and neat reflexively. It could have soulsteel filigree, if you want to go the dead-y route. Are there any abilities that the Zenith focuses on other than combat stuff that it could augment, like Performance or Presence?

Comment

• There's a hearthstone in the 3rd core book that allows you to speak to the dead, have you thought about maybe using that power as an Evocation or maybe combining it with the sword to give it a dead-y flair? Maybe bonuses to the weapons stats and abilities for giving the dead some peace of mind or hearing them out on a regular basis, would give the character some cool motivations too. White Jade may be cool to combine with soulsteel (Grave soil, etc) and give the dashing swordsman an elegant white blade to use. I can't help but think fencer when I think of a posh and fancy swordsman, so maybe stuff that allows you to counter attack or turn your opponents strength against them?

And I know it's the holidays and people are probably very busy, but I've only gotten one person to comment on my artifact and some more feedback to either stroke my ego and tell me I'm in the right spot for custom artifacts or crush my dreams and tell me to spruce it up would be great. I'm thinking about STing if I can't find a game by the middle of January and like to give my players some cool toys to mess with.
          Last edited by TaiMageBlade; 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• I'm a bit stuck with Artifact creation. I just started running my first 3e campaign and I am not yet fully up to speed on the system and artifacts.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Perhaps Artifact 4 would be easier?

This is the second draft after a little thought. I do want to avoid being too cheesy, but also have to try and deliver what the player thinks is cool.

Devastating Rain (Orichalcum Siege Crossbow ***)

Devastating Rain is an exquisite Orichalcum Siege Crossbow with a single Hearthstone socket on the top of the stock above the firing trigger.

The Solar General Imperious Sage of Conquest is rumoured to have used this powerful weapon in the youthful campaigns of his first few centuries. With Devastating Rain the Imperious Sage supported his Circle mates and troops from points of tactical advantages, directing the movements of battle while laying down covering fire, destroying fortifications and blasting breach points in the defences of their enemies.

It is said that those that Devastating Rain was so moved by the love and concern the Imperious Sage felt for his Circle mates and those men and women that served under him that she altered herself to better serve Imperious Sage in his need to protect and support those he went into battle with.

Evocations of Devastating Rain
            Solars who attune to Devastating Rain for +1 mote cause onslaught penalties of -2 instead of -1 when attacking with Devastating Rain.

Golden Hail
            Cost: 3m Mins: Essence 1
            Type: Reflexive
            Keywords: Withering-Only
            Duration: Instant
            Prerequisites: None

The bolts loosed by Devastating Rain fall amongst their targets like thunderbolts from heaven, and even those that do not find flesh make enemies flinch as they pulverise stone to dust, smash wood to splinters and punch through metal as if it were paper. Targets of this Golden Hail don’t dare stick their head out of cover, often overrun by the infantry charge they never saw coming.

In the event of a successful Withering attack the user may elect to pass the benefit of the Initiative damage to an ally. The ally must have been within short range of the target of the attack. If the attack causes Initiative Crash the user may pass the benefit of Initiative Break to the ally as well.

The If the users ally does not use an attack action against the target of the users initial attack on their next turn then the effects of the attack, including all Initiative damage and gain are negated.

Shieldwall Transformation
            Cost: - Mins: Essence 2
            Type: Permanent
            Keywords:
            Duration: Permanent
            Prerequisites: Golden Hail

When an Exalt has acquired a sufficiently deep understanding and bond with Devastating Rain the artefact will trigger a change in itself. The stock will elongate and a reservoir for bolts will appear on the underside of the weapon and a second set of arms appear beneath the first. An ingenious mechanism for loading and firing Devastating Rain significantly improves the efficiency of operation.

Devastating Rain now fires and reloads quickly losing the Slow tag.

Sunburst Detonation
            Cost: 5m; 1wp Mins: Essence 3
            Type: Simple
            Keywords:
            Prerequisites: Shieldwall Transformation

Devastating Rain draws power from its exalt users Anima generating a massive charge of essence that sparks and crackles around the weapon. When unleashed the enhanced bolts strike with terrifying power and the resulting explosion of Essence is incredibly destructive.

This evocation is used to perform a demolition feat of strength as a ranged attack. This evocation is only useful for destroying obstacles and physical objects. The feat of strength is resolved using a dicepool of (Dexterity + Archery + Essence).

Additionally, the explosion will create an Environmental Hazard for any character at Close Range. The hazard manifests as a bonfire (p236) but occurs instantly and therefore has no Interval.
            Last edited by Wizball; 12-29-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Wizball , I'll give feedback later on individual evocations, but overall your 3 dot artifact's evocations are already much much too powerful to be 3 dot, and are absurdly cheap. Look at something like Spring Razor or Shining Ice Mirror or Moonlit Huntress. Your Evocations are already stronger than Orichalcum Hunting Hawk (4 dot) and are approaching Volcano Cutter.

Broadly, it's hard to give feedback or suggestions when we don't know the story behind the weapon, or its legend, which is kind of key to evocations in 3e.

Comment

• Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                Wizball ,overall your 3 dot artifact's evocations are already much much too powerful to be 3 dot.
                Cheers! Removed some stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Wizball View Post
                  Golden Hail
                  Type: Uniform
                  Keywords: Decisive-Only
                  Uniform is not a valid type, it is a keyword, and it is incompatible with Decisive-Only.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post

Uniform is not a valid type, it is a keyword, and it is incompatible with Decisive-Only.

Thank you. I noticed some other issues and had a re think about some of the Evocations. I will edit the original post with the new version.

Comment

• This is a huge thread, and I only read a handful of the Artifacts, but seems groovy quality to my virgin eyes, any help or advice on how to use this thread as a catalogue? I mean do I need to skim, does anyone have suggestions that they took from this thread that they really enjoyed?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• I think I've found that evocations are the most... well evocative when they aren't straight-up hit-number boosters. Evocations work best when they change the way you approach combat and don't just make you do the same thing you were already doing but better. It should encourage different or even riskier gameplay, with the benefit of bonuses when you do. Evocations should work with each other and build off of each other, but ALSO remain useful when used individually. And finally, Artifacts are the most interesting when they're weird and not swords (I'm super biased on this point).

Sadly, I agree that a first timer would have a lot of trouble navigating this thread for the first time at the length it's gotten. There's a lot of great stuff here, but condensing it all down to even a 2 hour parse with any hope of comprehension is unreasonable. Some folks have put their own artifacts in separate threads (I put mine on a website, linked in my sig) to sort through. But obviously, this thread has the highest concentration of feedback and constructive thoughts. I suppose I'd say that the first 8-10 pages probably had some of MY favorite feedback. No knock to later folks, but I stopped participating a bit after that, so can't comment strongly on it.

Good luck!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Here is a new one - my Dawn Caste Brawler has been lugging around an unnamed set of heavy orichalcum armor for a while and in a recent battle it was severely damaged and requires repair. So we took the opportunity to give it a bit of personality and below is the result.

Sorry about the formatting, I'm posting from my phone and the clean up I normally do is agonisingly dofficult. I'll come back in a few hours and fix it up.

Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might (Orichalcum Full Plate • • • )
                          Once belonging to the supreme ruler of Hollow and all its surrounds, Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might is a full set of articulated orichalcum plate armor, complete with helmet, greaves, gauntlets and pauldrons. Its aesthetic follows the personal banner of its first owner, the Prime and Prideful Lion, emblazoned with the Dawn Anima Caste Mark across its torso and back, the pauldrons are roaring lions and each joint stylized to mimic the rustling fur of a lion's mane. The helmet itself is another great lion head, it's jaw wide open in regal command to frame the face of its wearer with the sharpened golden teeth of its maw. Padding the armor is treated yeddim-hide leather and soft cottons and silks to let the set breathe around its wearer. A single hearthstone socket resides in the front chest-plate within the center of the golden emblem embossed on its surface.

The set was designed, forged and ensorcelled by an Earth Aspected artisan in Pride's court, though the elderly dragonblood would have gladly worked such a piece for free, she was in fact commissioned by a lover of Pride's who saw that the Might and majesty that she was so infatuated with was not seen with equal eyes amongst his peers. The Lion lacked social grace, as was his remit but careless arrogance could breed rebellion and she wished for a piece that would show the world how she felt and bring to them the dawning light of understanding. Unfortunately for the lover, the work was such a great work of artisanship and beauty that she could not resist embracing its plates as she has embraced her great love even before the process had completed, the orichalcum still white hot incinerated her immediately upon contact. Pride did not notice her absence, but he wore the armor occasionally.

A Solar who attunes to Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might with an extra 3m gains two non-charm bonus dice on all inspire, persuade and instill actions that create or exploit positive ties to the Solar.

Glorious Mane of the Solari Prime
                          Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
                          Duration: Indefinite
                          Keywords: None
                          Drawing down the brilliant and iconic display of their Anima, the solar infuses Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might with the majesty of their totem, storing the 3a inside the plates of its armor which glow as brilliantly as the iconic display itself for the duration of this evocation - this makes stealth impossible and can be seen for miles as if the Solar were still at maximum Anima. Each level of Anima stored in the armor this way raises the effective appearance of the attuned Solar by one when comparing against the resolve of targets to their social actions. The solar can reflexively end the commitment to this evocation, immediately flushing his Anima with all remaining levels stored within. The armor may hold a maximum of 3a in this way.
                          Special Activation Rules: This Evocation is unlocked at no cost at the time of attunement.

Roaring Decree of the Almighty King
                          Cost: 5m, 1a; Mins: Essence 1
                          Type: Supplemental
                          Keywords: Psyche
                          Prerequisites: Glorius Mane of the Solari Prime
                          When the true king commands it, fealty takes the heart of even the coldest souls. By paying the cost and shedding one level of Anima, either from his own banner or a point stored in the armor, the solar may increase the willpower cost of resisting their social influence by one. Additionally, if the target cannot pay the cost to resist an instill effect supplemented by this evocation, the resulting intimacy may not be eroded until the end of the story. Used to supplement a persuade action, the Solar may treat the targeted intimacy as one level higher in relation to determining the limits their subject will be willing to go to complete the command. However, targeting a defining intimacy has no additional effect.
                          Clarification: This Evocation lacks the Stackable Keyword and can only be used once per social influence attempt

Subjugating Writ of the Lion's Paw
                          Cost: 5m, 2a; Mins: Essence 1
                          Prerequisites: Roaring Decree of the Almighty King
                          The mighty blow from a King of Kings lays low the defiance of nations, asserting their dominance in both austerity and power. This evocation may supplement any withering attack action, using its successes as a bonus social action to instill a tie of awe or respect towards the solar. If such an intimacy already exists and the effect is not resisted, the intimacy is automatically upgraded one level of strength without needing to target a second supporting intimacy. The Anima cost for this evocation may only be paid from the levels stored within the armor itself.

Manifest Stance of Prideful Repudiation
                          Cost: 5m, 3a; Mins: Essence 2
                          Prerequisites: Subjugating Writ of the Lion's Paw
                          Swathed in the regalia of their own divine right to rule and command, no king is subject to any other and may dismiss such trivial contention by burning the glory of their true self into the eyes of their detractors. This evocation may be activated in response to any attempt at social influence targeting the solar, creating a contested roll using the solar's [Appearance + Presence + Essence] as a dice pool. Success negates the influence immediately as if it had failed to surpass the target's resolve. Additionally, if the social influence targets a group the solar is part of, this evocation extends its protection to all targets, refunding any costs to resist the same social influence already paid and automatically instilling such protected characters with a tie of gratitude towards the solar.
                          Last edited by Elkovash; 01-11-2017, 07:59 PM.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

• I figure that now that i'm trying to be more active on the forums, i'll drop something I made a while back. I don't really have a backstory for it, but the idea was to use it with Single Point to focus on a much more aggressive playstyle.
                            Fulminating Luster: Blue Jade Reaper Daiklave (Artifact ••••)

Touchstones: Lightning, Swift, Charging

New Cost: Blade Anima = ba

Attunement: The wielder of Fulminating Luster is attuned to the flows of air essence throughout Creation, allowing them to more easily understand the concept of lightning and speed through it. This allows the wielder to easily correct mistakes in their strike, even as it is occurring. A Solar or Dragonblood attuned to Fulminating Luster who pays two extra motes to attune may reroll two unsuccessful dice on a withering or decisive attack roll.

Gathering Storm Invocation
                            Cost:
                            2m;
                            Mins: Essence 1
                            Perfecting the flows of lightning essence within the blade, the wielder strikes with Fulminating Luster, beginning to gather up the excess essence and power in the air. Each strike more powerful than the last, the sword begins to glow with a blue aura. This is a passive effect tracked like anima levels an exalt would have. Each time the wielder is subject to an attack, they can pay 2m to clash the attack with one of their own. Success on this clash deals no damage, but instead will add 1 point of charge to the blade, to a maximum of 3. At the first level there is merely a feeling of electrical charge in the air, and a faint blue glow that emanates from the blade. At the second the blue aura is much more defined, flowing off the blade and lightning seems to occasionally leap from the blade. At its brightest the blade shines, and lightning flows up and down it, leaping and dancing through the air. Each level of ‘anima’ the blade retains, converts 1 die of post soak damage of a withering attack to an automatic success, at 3 levels of ‘anima’ this converts one die on a decisive attack to an automatic success.

Sating the Storm
                            Cost:
                            3m, 1ba;
                            Mins: Essence 1
                            Keywords: Dual
                            Prerequisites: Gathering Storm Invocation
                            Waiting for the opportune moment to unleash the perfect strike is practical, but sometimes unnecessary, the wielder of Fulminating Luster knows this well. For 3 motes, this evocation can be used to drain a level of charge, allowing the wielder to discharge it into their target. This adds 3 or Essence dice, whichever is higher, of additional damage to a withering attack, or (essence/2 minimum 1) to the raw damage of a decisive attack. Only one level of charge may be discharged this way per attack, and if this evocation is used, the wielder does not gain a charge from the attack. This effect stacks with the effect of the remaining levels of blade anima.

Lightning Surge
                            Cost:
                            5m, 2ba;
                            Mins: Essence 3
                            Prerequisites: Power Draining Strike
                            Unleashing a wreath of shocking electricity the wielder strikes with Fulminating Luster, bathing their enemy in the wrath of the storm. This supplements a decisive attack, burning away 2 levels of blade anima, this adds (Essence) additional damage on a decisive attack and converts 1 dice to and automatic success for every 4 dice to be rolled, rounded down. Further, every 3 levels of damage dealt inflicts a stacking -1 penalty to the opponents actions for the next 3 rounds after.

Crashing Lightning Strike
                            Cost: 10m, 1wp, 3ba;
                            Mins: Essence 4
                            Prerequisites: Lightning Surge
                            Sheathing the blade and concentrating their essence through its overwhelming aura, the user draws and strikes in a single instant with a wave of electrical fury, an afterimage of crackling energy immediately strikes from a mirroring angle in the same instant. This evocation supplements a decisive attack made on an opponent. It attacks the opponent twice before initiative resets and copies all charms used in the original strike, following all the same steps to do so. This attack can only be used once per day, as the blade needs time to rekindle its full power after using it.

This final evocation is one that didn't quite fit the thematics of the weapon beyond being lighting. It's incredibly busted and would almost certainly qualify this blade as an Artifact 5 on its own. I consider it not cannon, but a neat thing you could add to it.

Rampaging Dragon Strike

Cost: 15m, 1wp, 3ba, 3a;
                            Mins: Essence 5
                            Though the blade was made famous for its synergy with the Single Point style of martial arts, it was also feared for its greatest power, not seen in creation since it was lost. Holding the blade level, the wielder sweeps the blade across, shedding its considerable stored power, and doubling, then redoubling its power with their own. Clouds appear as if from nowhere as the sky darkens, columns of lightning sweep upwards from the air where the blade shed its power and constant crashing of thunder explodes out from in front of the user. This is a special decisive attack that strikes everything within a short range band wide and medium range outward. The attack is rolled with either Dex + Melee + Essence, or Dex + Martial Arts (Single Point) + Essence, and has a raw damage of (Wielders initiative + Current temporary willpower + extra successes). This attack cannot be dodged or parried, however a successful disengage maneuver at a difficulty of the wielders essence allows it to count as dodged. Battlegroups are especially weak to this attack and take a -2 to their defense, and add extra dice equal to the wielders essence if they are a mortal army not protected by magic. Once per story.

I make martial arts sometimes they're in my Scroll of Mixed Martial Arts.
                            I also made an entire 3rd circle and her soul structure.
                            My repository of random media rip offs, from Anime to book series. Mostly Anime. It's all in my Manuscript of Merry Mischief.
                            Total weeb.

Comment

• Hello everyone. New Storyteller here with a few fresh creations for you all to tear apart due to my inability to think around my players ability to creatively destroy anything I throw there way! All kidding(?) aside, I would like to get some feed back on these artifacts, beyond the Storyteller of the game I am a player in. So lets get into shall we?

This first one is aimed to be a re-creation of the weapon of Sun Wukong from The Journey to the West, as the player in question wanted to try and re-create the Monkey King as a Solar.

Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod (***** dot) Red Jade/Orichalcum Wrackstaff [p.596]
                              Attunement Cost: 5m (3m)
                              Hearthstone slots: 2

Story:
                              No one is sure where this weapon originated. No one is sure who created it, or gave it such powers. Some say that it was once a grand pillar that held up the dome of the great palace, where the divine play their unending games. Others claim that it was the smallest needle of sunlight to grace creation, and the adoration of all those who witnessed it gave it the will and power to become something greater. The only thing that is known for sure is that it is as much a weapon as it is a companion, and savoir.
                              In the first age, it was wielded by a Solar whose name has been lost to time, but he, with his Lunar mate, traveled the whole of creation, making a great pilgrimage from the farthest edges of the East to the greatest islands of the West. During their travels, they aided all who would seek help, more so at the Lunars behest than the Solar’s kind heart. Legends would have been told, and ballads sang of these great Exalted’s deeds, had it not all been lost during the Usurpation. And in that time of anguish, so to was lost this miraculous rod...

Evocations:
                              Exalts who attune to this artifact gain an innate understanding of the weapons dimensions including length, width, weight, and so forth. The exalt does not need to make any specific checks to determine if size altering evocations may backfire in any conceivable way. For an additional attunement cost, the artifact can always support the attuned exalt, regardless of its present dimensions.

The Grandest Needle
                              Cost: 2m Mins: Essence 1
                              Keywords: Mute
                              Duration: Instant/Indefinite
                              What better weapon could there be than one that is always there, whether or not it can be seen? This evocation allows the artifact to shrink to the size of a needle, primarily, for storage purposes. At this size the artifact is considered attuned at all times and cannot be lost or stolen by conventional means. Should attunement be broken, or the exalt enter the Glowing anima level, the artifact will return to its original size to aid it’s exalt. The motes spent on this evocation are considered committed until released. Should this evocation be used mid-combat, the exalt must take a Draw/Ready Weapon action when the artifact returns to original size.

Titanic Mass
                              Cost: 4m Mins: Essence 1
                              Keywords: Decisive-only
                              The exalt knows the true weight of his weapon is measured is deeds and actions, the weightiest of materials. On a decisive attack, the exalt can call on the full weight of the artifact, adding the tag effects for Smashing, and Lethal. Should a successful attack deal at least 3 Health Levels of damage, the target is knocked back a range band, taking falling damage should they impact walls, floors, ceilings, are so for. The distance of this knock back is determined by an Strength + Melee check, against the opponents Athletics + Stamina. Every 3 success in the exalts favor increases the number of range bands the defender is knocked back.

Reach Unto the Heavens
                              Cost: 3m per increment / 1m per round Mins: Essence 2
                              Keywords: Perilous
                              Let them big there spears and rid atop their horses, for only there greatest of archers could compare with this reach! The artifact extends, lengthwise, and may remain in this state for a cost. Per the payment of a beginning mote cost, the artifact grows by an increment of arbitrary length. These increments are determined by the exalts essence level, whereas each essence level acts as a multiplier. For example, at Essence 1, there will be no change in length while at essence 2, the artifacts length is doubled. Once lengthened, the exalt must pay a mote per round for the artifact to remain at this increased size. In combat, the artifact at double its original size may make attacks on those in the next range band out, given that the exalt pays 2 initiative to attempt and sacrifices 2 defense until their next turn. Any larger sizes become too unwieldy, even for the attuned exalt, to use properly.

So Shall the Mountains Bow
                              Cost: 10m Mins: Essence 3
                              Duration: One Scene
                              Prerequisites: The Grandest Needle, Titanic Mass
                              How better can one serve than to change when ordered? So how better can one change than to become what one is not? This evocation allows the artifact to change in its entirety. The inners of the staff break open to reveal golden chains within. This changes the artifact from a Wrackstaff to a Serpent-Sting Staff; gaining new tags (refer to page 596). In this form however, the artifact can still be considered a melee weapon, and it is up to the exalt to choose between the melee or martial art tags for attack calculations. In this form, the exalt may still use the Titanic Mass evocation, but losses access to The Grandest Needle and Reach Unto the Heavens. The cost must be payed again to revert the weapon back to staff form mid-fight, but the artifact will return to its original form at the end of the scene, of sunset, whichever occurs first.

Pillar of Creation
                              Cost: 5m, 1wp (5m) Mins: Essence 4
                              Type: Supplement
                              Prerequisites: Reach Unto the Heavens, So Shall the Mountains Bow

“In my master’s hands, I shall prop up the sky. Alike, I shall hold him firm in his time of need.” - Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod

For the scene used, the exalt is infused with the same great magic as that of his artifact. His body, mind, and soul alike become flexible and easily mending. For this scene, the exalt may take advantage of the Pain Tolerance merit, regardless of if they have purchased it prior. They also enjoy a number of additional die to Athletics checks equal to the number of Health Levels/3 (round down). The Exalt also does not suffer broken, dislocated, crippled or otherwise damaged bones, not matter the damage done to them. Limbs can still be lost. Finally, should the exalt be at Bonfire/Iconic anima levels with this evocation active, for the payment of an additional 5 motes, Titanic Mass is able to open chasms in the ground where it strikes. These chasms are considered to be a long range fall.

This second one was for the stereotypical viking from the north type character. I am presently trying to tie it to a forgotten god of Ice and Burial Ceremonies at the moment, so the lore can be considered place holder, and the stronger charms are intentional made with this gods champion or exalt in mind. There is the thought of giving it a paired shield at the moment as well.

Grace of the Glacier (**** dot) Blue/Black Jade Grand Grimcleaver [p.597]
                              Attunement Cost: 5m

Story:
                              None truly know who or what crafted this massive double headed axe, but all who have laid eyes upon it know it to be an object of cold beauty, not unlike the peace felt in the presence of the final breath… but not a force of destruction.
                              A grand axe, long as a man is tall, with its blades as broad across. Perhaps oddest is the blade itself, as they could be likened to the wings of a raven, waiting for the chance to be spread wide in flight. The blade itself is crafted neigh entirely of Blue Jade, a rare shade at that, which shone like cold freshly, formed ice. The shaft of the axe and much of the iconography is done in Black Jade, and depicts images of great mountains and the slow movement of mighty glaciers across the land. Oddly, there are semi-circular patterns where “wings” of the blade meet with the main body. No explanation has ever been formed for these portions, though it is believed to be for the placement of items of power.
                              There is a surprising amount of storytelling related to this grand blade, though there is little history to speak of. It is said that great warriors who once held this weapon could split the earth and rise raise walls of fridge cold, and gladly did they do so against those that would threaten their lands, homes, and people. But all who wielded the weapon in such a way were said to fall to the ice in the end, where only the carrion birds might know of their resting place. There is word that death is bound close to this blade, bound deep into its wielder, and that those who lack respect for the deceased will suffer a fate to never truly find peace, no matter the rites that follow their body. The last warrior to hold the weapon was said to have spent his final years beneath the earth, close to the blades birth place, believing that this might break the cycle or curse that clings to the blade. It has not seen the light of the sun, moon, or stars since… but the ice is patient.

Evocations:
                              Solars or Terrestrials attuned to Grace of the Glacier automatically gain access to the “Majesty of the Tundra” evocation.

Majesty of the Tundra
                              Cost: -
                              To wield something so wondrous mean that its wielder to is worthy of pause and praise. So long as an exalt remains attuned to Grace of the Glacier, they put off a majestic aura, not unlike a great beast of the wilds. The Exalt gains 2 automatic non-Charm success to Threaten and Appearance based checks, but suffers the loss of 2 dice to all stealth checks while attuned.

Incased in Wonder
                              Cost: 2m or 4m Mins: Essence 1
                              How durable is the flesh? How durable is the ice? In tandem can they work to endure greater wraths. The wielder may pay to form an outer layer of essence that encases their flesh in a sheet of cold armor. For 2 motes this increases the exalts soak by 4 against a single attack per round. For 4 motes, this increases the exalts soak for an entire scene.

Weight of the Ages
                              Cost: 4m, 5i Mins: Essence 1
                              Keywords: Counterattack, Decisive-Only
                              The ice will crush all given the time. Let them come, for the cold can wait. This attack requires the wielder to be attacked and to have neither acted nor moved during combat this round, in addition to successfully dodged the oncoming attack. The exalts turn will be consumed on use, but this decisive attack cannot be parried. At the payment of 5 initiative, this attack also cannot be dodged. Hardness still applies.

Grasp of the North
                              Cost: -(4m) Mins: Essence 2
                              Type:Permanent
                              Prerequisites: Incased in Wonder
                              The wind blows, the cold grows, the ice encases all… but it does not treat all equally. Purchasing this evocation improves the prerequisite, extending its affect to decisive attacks as well as withering. This means that hardness against successful attacks is increased by 4, similar to soak.
                              Activating this evocation for 4 motes however, allows the user to deal a reflexive counterattack to any enemy that successfully strikes the exalt for the remainder of the scene. This counterattack comes in the form of an outreach of grasping ice, leaping from the exalts frozen essence. This counterattack automatically hits the opponent, ignoring defenses, and reduces the opponent’s initiative by 3. This can crash an enemy.
                              One can only counterattack the same number of times as their essence level, and counterattacks are automatic. Once all counterattacks are used up, this evocation and its prerequisite deactivate and cannot be used for the remainder of the scene.

Wonder Given Flight
                              Cost:
                              6m Mins: Essence 3
                              Prerequisites: Weight of the Ages, Grasp of the North
                              This is the moment of ultimate beauty. Grace of the Glacier opens its wings outward, letting loose an aura of ultimate cold. The clear, cold wonder of the ice can now be shared. This decisive attack reduces the targets defenses by the users essence/2 (rounded up), and when used to successfully deal damage to the opponents health levels, the opponent will only have their respective essence rating plus stamina rounds before they are incased in ice.
                              Freezing individuals suffer negatives based off the number of rounds spent freezing. This is a -1 at 1-2 rounds, -2 at 3-4 rounds, -3 at 5-6 rounds, and -4 at 7 rounds onward. Should the frozen target be damaged to severely (this is up to Storyteller interpretation, or the loss of 3 health levels, whichever is preferred) they will shatter, killing them. The frozen individual is considered to be in suspended animation while frozen and does not witness events going around them or suffer the progress of time. They will thaw out in a full days’ time, given no outside influence to speed or slow the process. An individual frozen in this way more than twice must be unfrozen via sorcerous means, else they will remain in a statue like state permanently, or until shattered.

These next two have a story that gives them a connected origin. They were an attempt to create artifacts based off songs from the musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo, specifically the songs "A Story Told" and "Hell to Your Doorstep" and I have hopes to be able to give the rest of the song track a similar treatment.

A Story Told (**** dot) Orichalcum and Starmetal Short Powerbow [p.598]
                              Attunement Cost: 5m
                              Story:
                              It is said this was one of the final creations of an Exalted craftsman of incredible skill and talent alike. The design of care of the creation speak of its creators skill and dedication to their craft, from the flexible and perfectly curved Orichalcum, to the intricate and elaborate Starmetal filigree that decorates the length of the bow. It is truly a work of art, and a pitying piece to ever see used as a weapon.
                              Legend says that long ago a dispute was held among four colleges, each one of them counting among the Exalted. Three of them believed that that the purest among them, the most radiant of the four, had slighted them all in some way and all three wished to find a way to gain their shared vengeance. Rather than have their revenge in blood and violence, they would have it in wealth, prestige, and status… but that is by far a harder won victory. However, when few to none of their colleagues and charges would believe the claims they brought against their compatriot, they turned to the greatest craftsman in the land, asking him to create a work that would reveal the truth of the matter. In his eagerness to create such a unique work, he agreed… only to find that night after night as he labored away on his craft, the three would approach in kind, each offering incentive to twist the nature of his creation. Be it money, status, pleasures of countless natures, or even blackmail they all approached and offered until far more desperate measures were taken. The three saw to the kidnapping and imprisonment of the artisans’ only living relations, his dear daughter. With the life of his only child hanging in the balance, the work was completed with its new twisted purpose, and though the artisan regained his child, he in turn lost a very close friend to lies told by his own creation. As for the tale of this wronged Exalt and his former friends… the ending of this tale has been lost to the ages.

Evocations:
                              When attuned to this artifact, an exalt gains a +1 to all Bureaucracy, Larceny, and Socialize actions. An exalt also must pay an extra dot willpower to lower the intensity of negative intimacies when the opportunity arises. Positive intimacies also can only be gained at a lower intensity level than they normal would apply.

We Are Friends
                              Keywords: Mute

“We are friends, are we not? And our interests are the same…We’ll collaborate, and trust in fate to parcel out the blame…”

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer… surround yourself with foes and let your friends fall for you. For the scene, the exalt may add their essence level in automatic successes to any social actions make against someone they have an outwardly positive intimacy with (this intimacy can be negative, but the exalt must have maintained the guise of an amiable relationship with the target). This evocation may still take effect should the target have a positive intimacy towards the exalt, while the exalt lacks an intimacy towards the target.

Middle of the Night
                              Cost: 3m or 1wp Mins: Essence 1

“Who’s going to question what goes on in the middle of the night? Not a tinker, not a tailor, not their parents, not their partners, nor a jailer!”

A crafty mortal knows that men and gods alike care not about the acts that happen out of sight and out of mind. With a stubble honeyed word, the exchange of ill-gotten coin, or a promise to never be kept the exalt needs not sneak for those that would watch as they conveniently… forgot about their presence. An exalt may add their choice of Bureaucracy, Larceny, or Socialize non-charm die to stealth checks. For an alternative payment option, the exalt may add their Stealth in non-charm die to social actions to convince others to forget about encountering them.

The Softest Things
                              Cost: 4m Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: Middle of the Night

“Where the softest things he’ll touch are stones and darkness… Deep in a craggy isle and dungeons keep!”

The most comforting thing one will ever experience is a mother’s embrace, and the warm glow of life that comes just before the icy grip of death. So long as the target is not within close range of the exalt, the exalt has an unbroken line of sight with their target, and the target is neither mounted nor grappled; paying this cost creates an ambush attack (p.203). This evocation can only be used on a specific target once per scene.

It’s Him or Me
                              Cost: 1wp Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: We Are Friends

“But I can see it’s him or me! / Let him sit there and rot till he’s forgot!
                              LET HIM ROT!

When faced with an obstacle you must run from, you need not be the fastest… only faster than you friends. For the cost an exalt may make a gambit to force an ally at close range take the impact of an attack. This is a contested (Strength + Athletics) against the targets (Dexterity + Awareness). Should the target have a useable intimacy towards the exalt, this counts as a social action and uses (Charisma + Socialize) instead.

History is a Story
                              Cost: 5m, 1wp Mins: Essence 3
                              Prerequisites: The Softest Things

“History is a story told by the winners of the fight! / History is a story told by the men who make the laws! / History is the story told by the people who survive!”

History is written by many authors. But every story written has an editor to… fix, the writer’s mistakes. With this an exalt becomes that editor. Forming an arrow of invisible essence the exalt makes an attack action that, when successful, creates the opportunity to change the memories of the target as an instill, persuade, or inspire action. The exalt makes an (Manipulation + Presence) check against the targets Resolve. The target cannot use their intimacies to change their Resolve, or use Willpower unless the influence threatens one of their intimacies. Should the exalt be successful, the effect in instantaneous and cannot be undone via mundane means.

End the Story
                              Cost: 10m, 1wp Mins: Essence 4
                              Prerequisites: It’s Him or Me, History is a Story

“So goes this story! / Stick to the story! / Here ends the story!”

The story ends when there is no one left to tell it. End the story. The exalt makes a decisive attack that cannot be improved with the use of charms, on a target they have a major or greater intimacy with or the knowledge that the target has an intimacy of major or greater towards the exalt. Should this attack successfully deal damage, the target has their fate temporarily re-written. The next decisive attack that would deal damage to the target will kill them, despite the remaining health levels. The target must crash, incapacitate, reach extreme range in distance from the exalt that used this evocation, or simply avoid being struck for 5 rounds to negate the effect of this evocation. This evocation can only be used on a target once per story, and is both easily noticeable and traceable by the watchers of Heaven.

Sort of the same as above, just a paired artifact version.

Hellfire & Damnation (*** dot each) Red Jade & Soulsteel paired Reaper Daiklaves
                              Attunement Cost: 5m [5 motes per weapon, or 5 total when wielding both]
                              Hearthstone slots: 2 [1 each]
                              Story:
                              It is said that these were the final creations of one of the most skilled and talent Exalted to ever work magical materials. However, unlike all of their countless other works, these blades shown clear signs of haste in their making; as though the craftsman was under much pressure to finish this piece. The cutting blades are curved and tapered to create cruel edges to cause as much pain as possible in a single cut. There is little decoration along the length of the blades, beyond the simple flame patterns beaten into the metal. Oddest still, both blades are naked, having no metal or wood to protect the hand from the bare metal of the blade. To hold these is to hold an unfinished piece of art.
                              Tales say that the creation of these blades came from a wronged Solar. Betrayed by all the ones he had trusted, he let his wrath consume him, his lust for revenge becoming his sole sustenance in his faraway prison. The day he was finally let free, he sought out the greatest craftsman he knew to make him the tools needed to exact his vengeance. Where this Solar obtained a wicked metal like Soulsteel remains a mystery even to the worker of the steel, but the craftsman agreed to forge the Solar his blades. It was only when the blades were near completion that the Solar asked why the craftsman would aid him so. The craftsman admitted in that moment that a piece of his own work had been used against the Solar… From that day onward legend tell us not what became of these two, but many believe that the two slayed each other, the craftsman defending himself from the Solar’s rage. All that is known is that the blades were never truly finished…

Attunements:
                              When attuned together, the artifacts share the burden placed on the exalt, lessening the normal attunement cost by half of the normal amount. Attuning to Hellfire grants the wielder automatic access to the evocation Ignite the Pyre. Attuning to Damnation imposes a difficulty increase of 2 on all social rolls.

Evocations (Hellfire):

Ignite the Pyre
                              Cost: 1m per every 2 charges Mins: Essence 1
                              Duration: 1 round per charge

“First there’s retribution I must prepare.
                              Mighty vengeance is mine!”

Fire can fuel the greatest of feats. Let the fire burn within you, bright and furious, to burn away those that have wronged you. The exalt pays the cost to generate and store a number of charges. So long as the exalt holds a pool of these charges, they gain a +1 to melee and all melee related abilities. These charges will be consumed, 1 per round, if they are not used to fuel a different evocation. The exalt may not use Ignite the Pyre again so long as there is are any charges remaining within their pool. The exalt generates the greater of 6 or Essence*2 charges at most, and can store no more than 20 charges at most.

Drag them to Hell
                              Cost: 5m, 1-3 charges Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: Ignite the Pyre

“Once you’re in my shining cathedral heed the tolling bell.
                              It’s the final sound you hear as you descend to hell!”

They made you see hell on earth… you’ll make them see worse. The exalt makes an attack on the target, and when successful, reduces the targets initiative by the number of charges spent on the action. This cannot crash an opponent and does raise the exalts initiative.

Evocations (Damnation):

Shatter the Heart
                              Cost: -(2m) Mins: Essence 1
                              Type: Permanent

“And love is a lie! Swearing that no matter what it won’t die…
                              Disappearing like a star in the sky,
                              In the hot light of morning.”

You have been wronged, by friend and love alike. What do you have for a heart now? The exalt may pay an initial cost to sacrifice a positive relationship intimacy, and gaining an intimacy of revenge of equal intensity. The exalt does not suffer penalties to Resolve when these new intimacies are applied, and all Resolve bonuses using these intimacies gain a +1 in addition to the value granted by intensity. Multiple intimacies can be affected this way, and they do not revert when no longer attuned to the artifact.

Revenge Served Ablaze
                              Cost: 4m, 2 charges Mins: Essence 1
                              Prerequisites: Shatter the Heart

“Well, tables can turn as my enemies will soon enough learn…
                              I will strike a match and then watch them burn!”

Do not let your rage cool, for then it will become brittle and shatter. Let it burn bright enough to burn away all that would stand between you and your pray. The exalt lets their lust for vengeance burn into the arc of their blade. The exalt adds the intensity of any revenge based intimacy held toward the target to their attack as automatic successes. Negative intimacies can be substituted at a -1 effect comparison. If no such intimacy exists, they add 2 non-charm die to the attack roll. This evocation does not affect damage.

Evocations (Paired):

To Your Knees
                              Cost: 3m, 4 charges Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: Ignite the Pyre, Shatter the Heart

“Fall down on your knees,
                              Fall down and let me hear you pray…
                              Fall down on your knees,
                              ’till I can hear you bargaining, scheming, begging and screaming to me!”

What need is there for mercy? They had none for you. The exalt is able to command a very wounded (2/3rds of total health levels) or crashed opponent to prostrate before them. This is a Threaten action that is empowered by the remaining number of charges remaining in their pool, acting as non-charm die if used. Charges used this way are considered to be consumed. On success, the exalt has the freedom to force the target to obey a single command that they would reasonably be compelled to do, or attack the target as though they were crashed and have a Defense of 0. Mercy cannot be shown.

Bearer of Hell
                              Cost: 4m, 3 charges (1wp) Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: Ignite the Pyre, Revenge Served Ablaze

“I will carry hell to your doorstep; you will rue the day!
                              You will reap the hate you’ve sown no matter how hard you pray…
                              I will carry hell to your doorstep; I will make you pay!
                              You will reap the hate you’ve sown on my judgment day!”

The exalt has become a pyre of wrath, existing only to deliver out their own version of justice on those who have sinned against them. Even should the flames consume them, they will see their mission finished. The exalt begins to generate charges at a rate of (Essence + 3) each round. The exalt also gains the ability to expend 2 charges to increase their parry by 1 once a round. This evocation can be used a second time at an increased cost of 1wp to increase the number of charges produced each round by (Essence/2, round up).

Blood-stained Justice
                              Cost: 10m, 10 charges Mins: Essence 3
                              Prerequisites: To Your Knees, Bearer of Hell

“No forgiveness, no way out…
                              Only justice!”

The moment has come. The moment of truest, long overdue justice. The exalt makes a decisive attack that cannot be dodged. Should the exalt have an intimacy of revenge towards the target, their parry is considered to be halved prior to any charm or abilities that would increase parry. On a successful hit, the exalt may add the intensity of any intimacy applied as raw damage. Should no such intimacy exist the exalts initiative resets to the greater of 4 or their remaining pool of charges.

I hope that this isn't to much of a content dump for my first post here.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might,
                              Whether its gloomy, whether its bright."

Comment

• There's a couple charms that I don't understand why they're supplemental, when instead they should be simple or reflexive. I can't decide which since I'm not good at balance but this seems like a mechanical problem to me.

Pillar of Creation
                                Cost: 5m, 1wp (5m) Mins: Essence 4
                                Maybe it supplements the first Athletics action they make? But I don't know any supplementals that then persist for the scene.

Majesty of the Tundra
                                Cost: -
                                This type should be permanent since it's duration is "while attuned".

Incased in Wonder
                                Cost: 2m or 4m Mins: Essence 1
                                If you rolled soak I could see it being supplemental but this is just a reflexive, very similar to Spirit Strengthens the Skin (but superior to it in all ways so maybe way too good).

We Are Friends
                                This is either reflexive or simple, providing a scenelong bonus much like Harmonious Presence Meditation

Middle of the Night
                                Cost: 3m or 1wp Mins: Essence 1
                                I'm not aware of ANY scene-long supplementals, but this as well doesn't fit what a supplemental should do. Again, simple or reflexive.

Ignite the Pyre
                                Cost: 1m per every 2 charges Mins: Essence 1
                                Duration: 1 round per charge

“First there’s retribution I must prepare.
                                Mighty vengeance is mine!”

Fire can fuel the greatest of feats. Let the fire burn within you, bright and furious, to burn away those that have wronged you. The exalt pays the cost to generate and store a number of charges. So long as the exalt holds a pool of these charges, they gain a +1 to melee and all melee related abilities. These charges will be consumed, 1 per round, if they are not used to fuel a different evocation. The exalt may not use Ignite the Pyre again so long as there is are any charges remaining within their pool. The exalt generates the greater of 6 or Essence*2 charges at most, and can store no more than 20 charges at most.
                                If these charges affected a single melee action then it could maybe be supplemental, but as written it's definitely reflexive or simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X