No announcement yet.

[3E] The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was pondering a way to systematize Evocation themes.

It seems to me that there are a few major themes that could be extrapolated into branches of an Evocation tree. The names I'm using are simply to get a handle on the ideas, and not at the moment meant to be game concepts with rules.

Knowledge Evocations - Evocations going up this branch emphasize knowledge of the Artifact's history. In-game, they could be used to reveal more of the relevant backstory, or to relive flashbacks of prior lives, etc. The Distaff, for instance, carries the history of Aridara into the present.

Harmony Evocations - Evocations up this branch focus on the bond between Artifact and bearer. These would follow the deepening tie between them, and reflect the bearer's own skill, will to power, and exploits. Fist of Titans has examples of this, by upgrading the bearer's own Charms and by improving his dice pools.

Bound Soul Evocations - These spring from a sentient soul (or demon, elemental, god, etc) bound into the Artifact. They draw from the being within, instead of the history of the Artifact or the bearer. They often come with restrictions or costs pleasing to the entity within. The Artifact might also be intelligent and talkative. Gorgon and Stormcaller both bear otherwise-hostile entities within. Asphodel contains an entire pocket realm, complete with population and a ruler.

Construction Evocations - Artifacts with Evocations simply because of superlative construction, or unusual materials. These might harken back to the material bonuses that were more apparent in 2nd Edition, but moreso. Sekhem is an example that emphasizes the theme of red jade and fire that is hot beyond hot.

Achievement Unlocked Evocation - Not so much a tree or path of Evocations, but ones that the bearer awakens for free by completing some task or experiencing some condition. Related, the Evocations or special rules that awaken upon attunement. Midnight Thorn's Stealth bonus would be an example of a special bonus, while Baldaquin awakens an Evocation by reading an intention of a significant NPC.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Pasiap's Fang (White Jade Reaver Daiklave)

I'd love comments. Especially on balance since I'm still new at Exalted 3rd.

Comment

• For the Bracers of Universal Crafting, I'm thinking about an Evocation to make it so that I can create weapon essence constructs. I believe one can probably use the essence construct tools as improvised weapons already, I'd think at least at the level non-exceptional mortal weaponry.
        Just in case though I believe that I can use the below evocation to allow my character to make generate an exceptional mortal tier weapon in his hand.

Tools of War
        Cost: 2m; Mins: Essence 2
        Type: Reflexive
        Keywords: None
        Duration: One Scene
        Prerequisites: None
        Fluff: The weapon of the warrior is just another tool, simply meant to disassemble one's foes. With a moment of focus, and the image of the weapon in mind the craftsman forges their essence through the bracers into a tool of war.

Effect: This charm allow the user to create a single essence construct weapon of exceptional mortal quality for the rest of the scene.
        A repurchase of this evocation allows an additional weapon to generated upon use.

Special activation rules: To create a weapon using this charm, the user must have at least personally forged a weapon of the same type once while using the Bracers of Universal Crafting.

I figure I can use the bracers as a very low level green lantern ring considering how vague "tool" is as a category.

Comment

• Ressurecting this to share a conspt I've been tinkering with since 2E. With the new way artifacts work in 3E I think this works a little better.

I call them demon gems. Basically, made from glass and yasal they are used to trap and hold a demon, either First or Second Circle. When this is done, it can then be used as an alternative to hearthstones. When placed in a hearthstone socket, the Exalt can draw essence from it just like essence regeneration. However, the difference is, unlike Hearthstones, Demon Gems do not have a single built in magical effect. However, the Exalt can learn the trapped demon's charms as though they were Evocations.

I figure Artifact 3(lesser) and 4(Greater). Too much? or out of place?

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
            Ressurecting this to share a conspt I've been tinkering with since 2E. With the new way artifacts work in 3E I think this works a little better.

I call them demon gems. Basically, made from glass and yasal they are used to trap and hold a demon, either First or Second Circle. When this is done, it can then be used as an alternative to hearthstones. When placed in a hearthstone socket, the Exalt can draw essence from it just like essence regeneration. However, the difference is, unlike Hearthstones, Demon Gems do not have a single built in magical effect. However, the Exalt can learn the trapped demon's charms as though they were Evocations.

I'd suggest specifying charms that can be learned(Maybe based on the Eclipse Keyword?). Principle of Motion would be too good and the go to otherwise.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Hmm, that might get hard. considering most demons, like spirits, seems to have uique charms as well as the generic Spirit ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                Ressurecting this to share a conspt I've been tinkering with since 2E. With the new way artifacts work in 3E I think this works a little better.

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                I'd suggest specifying charms that can be learned(Maybe based on the Eclipse Keyword?). Principle of Motion would be too good and the go to otherwise.
                Well Evocations are designed to break the rules of what your character can do natively, and tapping into a demon is the basis of the Stormcaller 5 dot artifact...

I think since these would be so much less durable than what was done to make Stormcaller, each time you use one of the evocations of the demon's charms they have a chance to break free and shatter the gem. That chance would increase the more times you used it per story with a good chance to do major damage to the person holding the stone. And then, when it does break free, it is immune to being controlled again for a year and a day, and has some effect that allows it to escape the vicinity so the Exalt can't just insta-crush it.

I could base an entire story arc on some artificer making these things and selling them as a easy way to power, only for the buyers to keep releasing demons on the countryside. Players have to both kill the demons and track the source, which is well hidden. The artificer could just be a moron, could be an Infernalist, or it could all be a Lunar plot to destabilize the Realm by giving them trapped Second Circle demons and giving them enough rope to hang themselves with.

Comment

• Perhaps I'm greedy, or perhaps I'm just not quite feeling conversant enough with Third Edition to start writing evocations and charms yet... but I did want to bring attention to a few of the lingering First and Second edition staples that could stand to be made over with Third Edition's new Artifact paradigm, with all its associated excellence. I've made a list, and perhaps it will stimulate some thinking for how to give them proper conversions.
                  Lightning Torment Hatchets (Artifact ***, Moonsilver Tower-Splitting Hatchets)
                  Singing Staff (Artifact ****, White Jade Wrackstaff)
                  Daiklave of Conquest (Artifact *****, Orichalcum Daiklave)
                  Black Depths Foretold (Artifact ***, Black Jade Short Daiklave)
                  Crimson Bow (Artifact ****, Orichalcum Powerbow)
                  Kind Edge (Artifact ****, Orichalcum Reaver Daiklave)
                  Death at the Root (Artifact *****, Moonsilver Grand Grimcleaver)
                  Eye of the Fire Dragon (Artifact *****, Red Jade Direlance)
                  Soul Mirror (Artifact *****, Soulsteel Grand Daiklave)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sequal View Post

Well Evocations are designed to break the rules of what your character can do natively, and tapping into a demon is the basis of the Stormcaller 5 dot artifact...

I think since these would be so much less durable than what was done to make Stormcaller, each time you use one of the evocations of the demon's charms they have a chance to break free and shatter the gem. That chance would increase the more times you used it per story with a good chance to do major damage to the person holding the stone. And then, when it does break free, it is immune to being controlled again for a year and a day, and has some effect that allows it to escape the vicinity so the Exalt can't just insta-crush it.

I could base an entire story arc on some artificer making these things and selling them as a easy way to power, only for the buyers to keep releasing demons on the countryside. Players have to both kill the demons and track the source, which is well hidden. The artificer could just be a moron, could be an Infernalist, or it could all be a Lunar plot to destabilize the Realm by giving them trapped Second Circle demons and giving them enough rope to hang themselves with.

I dont know if I'd want them to break so easily. though this does give me an idea. What if there was a version that mortals could attune to, and could draw on the essence stored in the gem to use charms...but risk breaking it. Exalts however, dont have that problem if it's affixed to a hearthstone socket in an attuned artifact. So useful to exalts, but more tempting to mortals seeking quick power.

this needs refinement...

Comment

• If I could copy/paste properly on my tablet, I'd have complied the 'finshed' Artifacts and Evocations into a google doc. 50+ pages is a lot to get through.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• This is a rough attempt to update and expand the classic artifact 'Soul Mirror'. I'm not claiming its perfect because much of my charm writing paradigm is still calibrated for 2nd edition. I've got a list of artifacts I'm intending to update with better formatting here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Soul Mirror (Artifact *****, Soulsteel Grand Daiklave) (a sword that eats souls and empowers itself through them)

In the days following the Great Contagion, the Deathlord known as the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears found herself with a mystically unique resource. The Contagion Dead were oddly perfect in their transition to the underworld, bearing only a faint green cast to their skin for the illness that slew them, and none of the ravages of violent death. She selected seven vain and beautiful young ladies, as well as seven lustful and handsome men from among them. From the maw of a sleeping Hecatonchire she extracted a slim spearlike fang, and from the far reaches of the southern underworld, she extracted a measure of fine sand touched by the echoes of the Wyld. These things she forged in pyre flame, melding narcissism and hunger, desire and menace, chaos and death until she had, at last, a genuine masterwork of a weapon to field as the Fae began their assault upon the world.

Soul Mirror is an ivory-hilted greatsword, its grip a foot in length and wrapped in black leather. Its blade (which has the appearance of perfectly shaped and polished obsidian glass, despite its soulsteel construction) is five feet long, four inches in width, razor-edged, and tapers to a needle-fine point. Unlike most soulsteel, the Soul Mirror bears no wrought faces and does not moan. Instead, it reflects the world around it in a dark aspect, and those who examine themselves in it often see the souls of the imprisoned standing beside them, watching over their shoulders. At the pommel, crossguard, and at two six-inch spaced places extending up from the guard along the blade, are a series of four hearthstone sockets, waiting for proper gems to be set in them.

When the Lover first deployed her creation, it was in the hands of a Nemessary champion, a ghost trained in the art of possession and reanimation of the dead to serve as an operative among the living. She sent him to strike at the outposts of the River Country. The slaughter was immense. It did not take long for the attacks to draw attention away from the invasion of the Fair Folk, but no soldiers could be spared. Instead, a pair of Immaculate monks departed the temple at Thorns. Both Terrestrial exalts, and both skilled fighters, they confronted the Nemessary at the camp of a seventh-legion deployment, where he slaughtered wounded to feed the blade. After three days of grueling and vicious conflict, they finally banished the ghost and took the sword. They kept the place it had been secured a secret… one that was particularly secure, as both disappeared mysteriously within a year of the battle.

Attunement: 8
                        Type: Heavy (Acc +1 Dmg +14 Def +0 Ovw 6)
                        Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced, Reaching, Two-Handed
                        Hearthstone Slot(s): 4
                        Era: Balorian Crusade

Evocations of Soul Mirror

Solars and Abyssals who attune to Soul Mirror are considered Resonant with it. Soul Mirror absorbs the soul of all those it kills, preventing them from going on to Lethe or the Underworld. It imprisons the souls in the blade, up to seven at a time. Soul Mirror’s vanity and hunger are like unto the maw of Oblivion itself. No entity with a positive intimacy towards Oblivion or the Neverborn is Dissonant with Soul Mirror. Additionally, the hate of Soul Mirror’s Collection is a resource its wielder quickly learns to cultivate. A Resonant user can feel their anticipation of her death when danger is near, making it easier to stymie their desires by improving Soul Mirror’s Defense stat.
                        Size of Collection Defense bonus
                        0 Souls +0
                        1-2 Souls +1
                        3-4 Souls +2
                        5-6 Souls +3
                        7 Souls +4
                        Soul Mirror can never hold more than seven souls in its collection, though a user who is not Dissonant may immediately spend a soul reflexively if the collection would overflow, either the newly collected one or an older soul.

Evocations which consume souls from its collection mark their cost with the number of souls, followed by ‘s’.

Reflection-Sharding Savagery
                        Cost: - Mins: Essence 1
                        Type: Permanent
                        Duration: Permanent

Even the lightest rake of the Soul Mirror’s edge against an enemy’s Anima is enough to stoke its hunger, and it sharpens its hunger against the scraps of their life force. Whenever Soul Mirror’s attuned wielder uses it in a successful withering attack, the defender loses one Temporary Willpower, and (Permanent Essence) motes from their Essence pool.

Special Activation Rules: So long as the wielder isn’t dissonant with Soulsteel, this Evocation awakens at no cost when Soul Mirror claims its first soul in the hands of a new wielder.

Ravenous Edge-Honing Blasphemy
                        Cost: (x)s Mins: Essence 1
                        Type: Simple
                        Keywords: Resonant
                        Duration: seven days

The Soul Mirror was forged to weaponize the power of souls. By allowing the blade to consume a portion of the collection, the weapon itself can channel that rarified power into enhancing its own performance. Its weight begins to tune dynamically as if given intellect. Its edge sharpens as if given wit. Its blows sink deeper as if given cruel insight. Soul Mirror’s wielder may spend up to 4 souls. Each soul spent improves Soul Mirror’s Accuracy, Damage, and Overwhelming bonuses by 1.

Resonant: When Ravenous Edge-Honing Blasphemy ends, it may be immediately reactivated for the same bonus as its previous activation for only 1S.

Promises of Oblivion Method
                        Cost: - Mins: Essence 2
                        Keywords: Psyche
                        Prerequisites: Reflection-Sharding Savagery

Perhaps it’s made of the scraps of those souls it has devoured. Perhaps the Soul Mirror has always had it. Regardless the weapon has its own Anima, which shines out in a bone-pale light and gathers wisps of mist that seek to grasp and bite witnesses to its horror. The first time an enemy witnesses Soul Mirror unsheathed per combat, Soul Mirror’s wielder may make a reflexive Ending-Sowing Gambit using his Charisma + Performance + the number of souls currently bound in Soul Mirror, against that enemy’s Resolve. If successful, the enemy suffers a -4 Martial Penalty to all actions that do not involve fleeing from Soul Mirror’s blade until it is again sheathed (and its Anima therefore quiets). This penalty may be negated if the enemy spends 2 temporary willpower points.

Special Activation Rules: So long as the wielder is resonant with Soulsteel, this Evocation awakens at no cost when Soul Mirror enters combat with 0 souls in its collection.

Heresy of Death Denied
                        Cost: 1s, 10+m Mins: Essence 2
                        Keywords: Dissonant
                        Duration: Instant
                        Prerequisites: Ravenous Edge-Honing Blasphemy

As the bond between Soul Mirror and the collector that wields it grows so too does Soul Mirror’s ability to interact with souls outside of its prison. The first concrete connection it can make is to the wielder attuned to it, offering out some of the vitality it has stolen from those it has collected to keep its collector alive to function another day. This charm may only be activated in response to Soul Mirror’s wielder marking damage in their Incapacitated health level, and its mote cost is all available Essence from the character’s Peripheral Essence pool (this amount must be at least 10 motes, or the charm may not be activated). When it is, the character may convert (Permanent Essence) Aggravated health levels of damage into Lethal damage, and then heals all Bashing and Lethal damage instantly.

Dissonant: If the wielder is dissonant with Soulsteel, this charm does not convert Aggravated damage into Lethal damage.

Union of Horrors Reflected
                        Cost: 5m, 1wp Mins: Essence 3
                        Prerequisites: Promises of Oblivion Method

Soul Mirror drinks in the Higher Soul of its victims easily… but that isn’t to say that it can’t touch the Lower Souls of its victims. By taking the time to open the eyes of a claimed soul’s cadaver, and allowing the Lower Soul slumbering within to see the fate of its former companion, a new bond of mastery can be established. The Hungry Ghost of the subject becomes a Familiar to the wielder and will serve him to the best of its ability for so long as its Higher Soul remains imprisoned within the blade. If the Higher Soul is consumed or otherwise ceases to be, the Hungry Ghost dissipates. Multiple such familiars can be claimed in this manner, but no more than the wielder’s Permanent Willpower rating.

Perfect Memoriam Crystallization
                        Cost: 1s, 10m Mins: Essence 3
                        Prerequisites: Heresy of Death Denied

The Soul Mirror is a tool for making power out of souls, and one truth of Creation is that not all souls are equal. Some souls, in fact, can be genuinely exceptional, and should not be frittered away as mundane fuel or blunt instruments. Some souls deserve to be features of a more permanent collection. By spending an hour in meditation, gaze locked with the reflections in the Soul Mirror’s surface, its wielder may peruse the Intimacies of the souls within the sword and select one, ideally belonging to an exceptional soul of some kind. That soul is consumed as part of the Charm’s activation cost, but that single intimacy is extracted, as well as that soul’s most exceptional knowledge, and directed to one of Soul Mirror’s empty Hearthstone Sockets. There, it forms a unique Hearthstone called a Memoriam (typically a ‘Memoriam of (insert name here)’), attuned to Soul Mirror’s wielder. Memoriams have the Steady and Dependent keywords. While they are active, those attuned to them may treat the Intimacy they are forged around as one of their own, though it cannot be raised or lowered. Additionally, all actions taken using Abilities that were Caste, Aspect, or Favored by the soul sacrificed to create the Memorium receive a number of bonus dice equal to the strength of the Intimacy (+2 for minor, +3 for major, +4 for defining).

Tarnish at the Root
                        Cost: 5s, 15m, 2 wp Mins: Essence 4
                        Prerequisites: Perfect Memoriam Crystallization, Union of Horrors Reflected

Soul Mirror was forged from the hands of a Deathlord, meant to channel souls as power against the living. By the time its wielder has come this far with the blade, the temptation of empowerment it can offer may well be tempting enough to strike against the very world. By sinking Soul Mirror to the hilt in the soil of Creation, the souls of its Collection can be made to poison the world. Stretching them across leagues by force of will, they can be converted into the slender filaments of dragon tracks, though the torment of such a wracking experience utterly taints all essence that passes through them with death. This evocation creates an abyssal aspected Demense (of Standard strength) in the area where it is used. This evocation may only be activated once per story.

Resonant: The wielder may make a reflexive Intelligence + Occult roll as part of the evocation’s activation (difficulty 3) in order to arrange the geomancy of the Demense to provide for the formation of a Hearthstone, though an exceptional success is required to specify a specific type.

An Essence 5+ repurchase of this evocation allows an additional 2 souls and 10 motes to (optionally) be spent whenever this evocation is activated. If they are, the Demense formed is of Greater strength
                        Last edited by Caffeine Delusions; 06-02-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Something I crafted a while ago for a Solar text game (here on the forums, actually). Decided to give it another glance and softened some of the edges. Still not sure wether some of the evocations aren't too powerful though. Fivefold Shadow Bindings (Artifact ••••• )

Forged from the essence of Five Days Darkness bound by starmetal wires, the Fivefold Shadowbindings look like a pair of leather bracers to be tied tightly around the arms. Each of the bracers seems to consist of five black leather straps, if touched however they are unnaturally cold and give little tactile feedback, giving the feeling of touching nothing at all. On the inside small Starmetal wires can be seen binding the shadows together. It costs five motes to attune the Fivefold Shadow Bindings. Both Solars and (to Five Days Darkness' chagrin) Sidereals are resonant to them. An attuned user adds five dice to all stealth rolls as the Bindings call to the shadows to hide their bearer.

Evocations:

First Binding: Cloak of Shadows
                          Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 1
                          Keywords: Dissonant, Mute, Resonant
                          Duration: Indefinite

Suffused with the Essence of the highest of shadows, the bearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings becomes one with Darkness. Tenebrous darkness flows out of the bracers to cover the whole body of its wearer, turning her indistinguishable and perfectly concealing her identity. This is in effect similar to the inherent power of the Night Caste anima at bonfire level, however it does not require the anima to flare (and hence does not inhibit stealth). This is treated as a perfect effect, it cannot be pierced by magic lesser than Eyes Of The Unconquered Sun.

Dissonant: Characters dissonant with starmetal are only partly concealed, their shadowy guise revealing characteristic marks that can be used to indentify the wielder later. The effect is not perfect, instead the wearer rolls (Wits + Larceny) with (Essence) automatic non charm successes.

Resonant: The wearer becomes fully at home in the darkness that envelops her, ignoring penalties associated with darkness (such as poor visibility).

Special Activation Rules: A character attuning to the Fivefold Shadow Bindings during Calibration unlocks this Evocation for free. This evocation can only be unlocked during Calibration.

Slip from View
                          Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
                          Type: Supplemental
                          Keywords: Mute
                          Prerequisites: First Binding: Cloak of Shadows

Every light casts a shadow. Even on a bright day on a plain field, the wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings can hide. Supplementing an attempt to establish stealth with this charm allows the wearer to do so even if there are no means of concealment present. Instead she hides within her own shadow, which in return hides within other shadows.

Flickering Essence Internalization
                          Cost: - ; Mins: Essence 1
                          Prerequisites: Ebon Shadow Form

The Essence of Five Days Darkness flows through the bindings, enhancing the style that he crafted himself. A character learning this charm unlocks the Mastery effects of the Ebon Shadow style Charms, up to and including the Form charm.

Resonant: Going beyond normal mastery of this Style, the Bindings further enhance the prowess of a Solar or Sidereal, granting the following benefits.

Nothing But Shadows: The penalty imposed becomes higher of (Stealth or 3).

Seven Points Of Weakness Strike: If this charm aids an unexpected attack, it also adds the wearers Essence to the amount of ignored armor.

Ebon Shadow Form: Activating Ebon Shadow form now also activates First Binding: Cloak of Shadows at no additional cost. This effect cannot be voluntarily turned off.

Special Activation Rules: This evocation is learned at no cost the first time the wearer kills a non trivial opponent while wearing the Cloak of Shadows in accordance with a major intimacy.

Second Binding: Become the Shadow
                          Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
                          Keywords: Dissonant, Mute
                          Prerequisites: First Binding: Cloak of Shadows

The character becomes a shadow. She turns immaterial and may pass through small cracks, though barriers without any openings still bar her passage. In darkness she becomes near invisible, but in well lit rooms characters will notice a stray shadow upon passing a difficulty 3 (Perception + Awareness) roll, unless mundane stealth is employed (and resolved normally). While using this charm the wearer has no scent and makes no sound. If the character uses charms that normally would allow her to affect immaterial beings while being immaterial, he can use this charm to affect material beings instead. After a scene has passed he must stay material for at least 10 minutes.

Dissonant: Characters dissonant with starmetal can only stay immaterial for (Stealth) rounds or one minute outside of combat.

Shadow Hand
                          Cost: 1m; Mins: Essence 2
                          Keywords: Dissonant, Uniform
                          Prerequisites: Second Binding: Become the Shadow

Suffusing her shadow with Essence the wearer grasps the material while immaterial or vice versa.

Dissonant: Increase the charms cost by 1m.

Special Activation Rules: If the wearer learns Spirit-Cutting Attack this functionally identical evocation is unlocked for free as soon as the prerequisites are learned.

Breathstealing Exercise
                          Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
                          Prerequisites: Shadow Hand

The wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings learns to strangle another with her own essence infused tenebrous form. This evocation supplements a special grapple gambit undertaken while immaterial through the use of Become The Shadow. Twisting her own form into a blanket the wearer twist herself around the opponents head, strangling her victim slowly. This special grappling gambit differs in the following ways from a normal grapple:
                          • The wearer has to use Breathstealing Exercise every turn in order to maintain the grapple, failing to do so automatically ends the grapple with the targets release.
                          • Only the Savage move can be taken. Instead of applying damage as normal this move inflicts one level of bashing damage (Hardness does not apply) directly to the opponents health track. Once the opponents health track is filled with bashing damage each additional turn transforms one point of bashing damage into lethal damage. Opponents who do not need to breathe are immune to this damage.
                          • The roll to control the grapple is (Dexterity + Brawl or Martial Arts) on the side of the attacker opposed by the enemies (Dexterity + Dodge) or (Strength + Brawl or Martial Arts) in case of an opponent capable of affecting immaterial beings.
                          • The victim of the grapple is blinded, muted and deafened. As the wearer wraps herself around her victim, these selfsame penalties apply to her.

Resonant: The Savage move applies two levels of bashing damage to the opponents health track.

Vanishing Shadow Meditation
                          Cost: - ; Mins: Essence 2
                          Prerequisites: Shadow-Body Dissolution, Flickering Essence Internalization

Furthering her understanding of the Ebon Shadow Style, the wearer applies the Mastery effect to Elusive Flicker Evasion, even if she normally would not and removes the Terrestrial tag from Elusive Flicker Evasion and Shadow-Body Dissolution should the wearer be affected by it.

Resonant: Going beyond normal mastery of this Style, the Bindings further enhance the prowess of a Solar or Sidereal, granting the following benefits.

Elusive Flicker Evasion: This charm loses the Decisive-only tag and gains the Uniform tag instead, enabling its use against withering attacks.

Shadow-Body Dissolution: If no damage is taken from the attack and Stealth successfully established, the Martial Artists also gains (Essence) initiative.

Special Activation Rules: This evocation is learned at no cost the first time a character avoids being hit completely or reduces damage of a decisive attack made against her to zero using the prerequisite charms in a fight where he upholds a major intimacy.

Fear The Dark
                          Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
                          Keywords: Decisive-only, Resonant
                          Prerequisites: Seven Points Weakness Strike, First Binding: Cloak of Shadows

Exploiting the weakness of her opponents from the dark, the wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings surrounds her hands with darkened essence, striking fear into her target. This charm can only be used when your character has established stealth in regards to the character she wishes to use it upon. The wearer makes a gambit rolling (Manipulation + Stealth) against a difficulty of her opponents (Resolve). If successful this instills an intimacy of fear towards darkness or strengthens such an intimacy if it already exists. While Cloak of Shadows is active, the wearer counts as darkness for the purposes of this intimacy.

Resonant: This gambit can be used without establishing stealth first as long as Cloak of Shadows is active.

Third Binding: Secret Stealing Claw
                          Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
                          Keywords: Decisive-only, Dissonant, Resonant
                          Prerequisites: Second Binding: Become the Shadow

Five Days Darkness has knowledge of all secrets residing in the dark, even those hiding within the darkness of the soul. The wearer executes a quick jab at the targets shadow, ripping dark thoughts out of it as a ball of shadowy essence which she then swallows. This charm represents a Gambit rolled against a difficulty of the targets Guile. If successful, the character learns the characters darkest secret, the one thing he most desperately wants to stay concealed.

Dissonant: This evocation can only be used against a foe in initiative crash.

Resonant: This Gambit can be used as part of an Ambush, increasing its difficulty by two. If successful, no combat is initiated, the target does not perceive any overt hostile attempt behind the attack.

Infinite Shadow Panoply
                          Cost: 5m,; Mins: Essence 3
                          Prerequisites: Umbra Noose Execution

Twisting her own shadow into a weapon, the wearer creates the shadowy equivalent of one of the Ebon Shadow styles form weapons (or a pair thereof in case of weapons which can be wielded as pairs). These weapons have the tags and properties of their respective artifact weapons.

Dark Executioner Enlightenment
                          Cost: -,; Mins: Essence 3
                          Prerequisites: Umbra Noose Execution, Vanishing Shadow Meditation

Fully in tune with the Essence of Five Days Darkness, the exalt ignores the Terrestrial Keyword of Throat-Slitting Shadow Artemi and gains the Mastery keyword for Umbra Noose Execution.

Resonant: When Resonant with the Fivefold Shadow Bindings the techniques of Ebon Shadow Style are further enhanced:

Throat-Slitting Shadow Artemi: By increasing the cost to 3m, 1wp the character can change the effect of Throat slitting Artemi. Instead of converting the damage dice into successes, the charm doubles the damage of a decisive attack after rolling. This cannot enhance the damage rolled by more than (Essence) unless the attack was unexpected and does not stack with charms like Thunderbolt Attack Prana that have a similar effect.

Umbra Noose Execution: The motes stolen by this charm are lost to the victim instantly and without any positive effect.

Special Activation Rules: This evocation is learned at no cost the first time the wearer uses Throat-Slitting Artemi or Umbra Noose Execution to kill a non trivial opponent in adherence to a defining Intimacy.

Paralyzing Touch Attack
                          Cost: 5m,; Mins: Essence 3
                          Prerequisites: Umbra Noose Execution

The wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings hones in on her targets weakness, paralyzing her opponent with a strike to one of five vital nerve clusters. This is a gambit with a difficulty of (opponents Stamina x2). If successful the target takes a penalty to all Dexterity derived dicepools (including dicepools used to calculate Defense) equal to the Threshold successes on the roll, to a maximum of the attackers (Essence). This penalty lasts for the rest of the scene.

Resonant: Reduce the difficulty of the gambit by 2.

Blow Concealing Gesture
                          Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 3
                          Keywords: Uniform, Resonant
                          Prerequisites: Umbra Noose Execution, Third Binding: Secret Stealing Claw, Slip From View

The wearers hands flash through the mudra of danger unnoticed, concealing her killing intent from the opponent. This evocation supplements an attack that is not unexpected. Roll (Dexterity + Stealth) opposed by the targets (Perception + Awareness). If successful, the attack becomes unexpected.

Resonant: Add half the threshold successes (rounded up) to your initiative, to a maximum of (Essence).

Fourth Binding: Day As Night Stance
                          Cost: 10m,; Mins: Essence 4
                          Prerequisites: Third Binding: Secret Stealing Claw

The wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings flashes through a quick series of five stances that symbolize the importance of calibration. Once he finishes the Bindings expand, creating a patch of pure darkness out to medium range. Mundane senses fail to pierce this concealment and lightsources fail to produce any light. Supernatural sight pierces this darkness but takes a penalty to all rolls involving sight equal to the bearers essence. This evocation can only be unlocked by characters resonant with starmetal.

Shadow Banishment
                          Cost: 8m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                          Keywords: Perilous
                          Prerequisites: Umbra Noose Execution, Fear The Dark, Breathstealing Exercise

Sometimes it's not enough to kill an enemy or to simply frighten him. The worst of the worst deserve a special torment. A series of lightning quick jabs infects the target with shadow essence and a final push condemns him to a most impotent exile. The wearer executes a gambit with a difficulty of (the opponents Essence + 5). If successful the target is pushed into his own shadow, fusing with it. The target is thereafter forever banished from the material world. Treat him as if he were under the effects of “Second Binding: Become the Shadow”, but the change is permanent. The only way for the target to become material again is for it to possess a charm that allows it to materialize (or temporarily immaterialize), a successful Celestial tier sorcerous working done on his behalf or for the wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings to use this charm again on the victim, reversing the effects.

Shadow Wanderer
                          Cost: 10m; Mins: Essence 4
                          Prerequisites: Shadow-Stepping Motion

Becoming a friend to shadows, the wearer can move along them with greater ease. This evocation allows the wearer of the Fivefold Shadow Bindings to travel two range bands by stepping into one shadow and emerging from another. Just like it's prerequisite this adds double 9s and removes the penalty for crossing open terrain from any stealth rolls. In combat use of this charm counts as the characters movement and combat action.

Fifth Binding: Shadow-Plumbing Gaze
                          Cost: 20m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 5
                          Prerequisites: Fourth Binding: Day As Night Stance

The wearer stands still for five minutes, meditating on the essence of Five Days Darkness, before replicating one of his greatest feats. The wearer slips past the shadows of the world and watches the skeins of discarded fates behind the curtain of creation, searching through them for answers This Evocation creates a special (Perception + Investigation) action with a difficulty set by the storyteller appropriate to the secret the character tries to uncover. If successful the wearer discovers the information he seeks as a series of visions, conversation snippets and instinctive insights. However this power has two downsides. It can only be used once per story, and no effect can reset it early except for the onset of calibration. Secondly if the information sought has “seen the light of day” (enough people know about it, it has been discussed in broad daylight or some important aspect of it such as a murder weapon has been touched by sunlight) the evocation automatically fails.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• I'm making my first Warstrider, and a N/A at that. The concept is of a dancer goddess machine, that enthralls people seeing the dance into being her worshippers. That worship would be measured with "Prayer charges" that could be spent to boost her Evocations. Apart from dancing, her other themes would be "Bliss" and "providing divine assistance at the cost of corrupting the mind of the helped". Concrete ideas on Evocations that I have in mind would be:

1. A targeted attack that puts the target to sleep/coma/delirium, where they see pleasant visions but would provide Prayer to the Warstrider. Possibly a Reflexive Evocation to be used when the Warstrider deals damage to the Incap box

2. The "bread and butter" ability. A dance that converts all that see it into worshippers. Possibly by giving them a Defining tie of devotion toward the Warstrider

3. A survival ability, that would let her be ressurected through the prayers of her worshippers, making the Warstrider reform from pure Essence.

4. A healing/buff ability, but it also slowly makes the recipients into worshippers. (Really intended to support battlegroups of worshippers)

5. The capstone, a dance that breaks the world (a la mythological Shiva). Since it has Wyld stuff, it could be seen as Wyld-Shaping Technique, but for Creation

It would be N/A because of the permanent mind-influencing effects of her dance (that need Solar Integrity Charms level of magic to ignore), plus the setting-warping (literally) effects of her capstone.

I definitely want the construction to have Wyld/Fair Folk elements, but I don't have a clue what Magical Material she would be primarily made out of. Any ideas?

Edit: I can definitely see a case for almost all, barring soulsteel. She probably has alloys of all of these, but which reigns supreme?

Orichalcum for the "center of attention" bit, also purity and majesty and the overall image of a divinity

Moonsilver for the inner transformation of others, messing with emotions, dreams and madness (in the form of zealous worship)

Starmetal for the Warstrider using esoteric forces to imitate godhood

Jade, specifically Green jade for the pleasure and nourishment/aid aspects
                            Last edited by Cenrei; 05-13-2018, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• While I played a dozen sessions of first edition and perhaps half that many of second edition, I've not yet actually gotten third edition on the table at all. This was an artefact designed to be a product of a pc ("I want to start the game able to produce killer artefacts, It will be more fun to pick up other charms in play and have the craft charms to begin with than the other way around"). The game never (or at least has not yet) happened.

​I'm worried about getting the costs and effects reasonable. I don't trust that playing with the mechanics outside of a game has given me a good idea of how much charms should cost and I'm sure that I'll miss stuff. This was supposed to be a five dot artefact but I may have not aimed high enough and produced a four dot one instead.
                              Hive of Sparks Orichalcum Reaver Daiklave

Background
                              At some unrecorded point of history almost certainly in the first age a sorcerer of some stripe set up a working high up on the north side of the imperial mountain. This working absorbed all of the sunlight from an alpine crevasse storing it in a sapphire. This produced a clearing of darkness that may have in ancient time been used to cultivate some exotic species of mushroom or perhaps was put to some other forgotten purpose. What ever its original use was the sunlight absorbing sapphire persisted for many centuries soaking up the light of the sun unblocked by clouds of the lower atmosphere.
                              This sapphire was taken by [PC] and used to form the heart of the Daiklave Hive of Sparks
                              Hive of Sparks is an oricalcum reaver daiklave, the flat of its golden blade is tessellated with a pattern of reflective hexagons reminiscent of a beehive. It moves with amazing ease for such a weapon and seems to move to parry even faster than one would expect of an attuned weapon. When it is used to make a chopping attack the welder does not suffer a penalty to his or her parry defense (but still suffers a penalty to their evasion or other defense and must pay an initiative cost for making the attack).

Flights of Fireflies
                              Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
                              Duration: Scene
                              When it is attuned, Hive of sparks produces a shower of brilliantly glowing, exceedingly hot motes of light every time it is parried and every time it is used to successfully parry an attack. These sparks persist until the end of a scene. These sparks swirl around the vicinity of the wielder producing a penalty to those in close range who attack him or her. This penalty is based upon how many showers of sparks are present.
                              Spark groups/ penalty
                              1-3 /1
                              4-6/2
                              7-9/3
                              >9/4
                              Resonant: Flights of Fireflies awakens automatically if the wielder is resonant with orichalcum.

Empty the Hive
                              Cost: 5m 1-3a ; Mins: Essence 1
                              Keywords: Uniform
                              Duration: instant
                              Prerequisites: Flights of Fireflies
                              The wielder’s anima contracts into Hive of Stars and explodes from the blade as a tremendous burst of sparks. The wielder can sacrifice 1 to 3 levels of aura to produce additional groups of sparks at a cost of 3 groups of sparks per anima level. This action can be flurried with darn near anything.

Strike of the Jagged Constellation
                              Cost: 3m 1wp; Mins: Essence 1
                              Prerequisites: Flights of Fireflies
                              As Hive of Stars strikes, a swarm of shining sparks coalesce around the blade the causing an explosion of light and force at the point of contact.
                              Using this evocation the wielder of the Hive of Stars may augment an attack by sacrificing groups of sparks for additional raw damage at a ratio of two groups of sparks per additional level of raw damage or effective initiative.

Blade of light
                              Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
                              Prerequisites: Strike of the Jagged Constellation
                              The sparks temporarily coalesce into a searingly bright sword that attacks a target at medium range. This evocation can not be used if there are fewer than 3 groups of sparks present.

Light driven Sorcery
                              Cost: 1m per spark group; Mins: Essence 2
                              Keywords:
                              Prerequisites: Empty the hive

The clouds of sparks swirling around the wielder return to the hive of sparks to fuel the casting of a spell. Each spark group consumed produces 2 sorcerous motes

Nova Swarm
                              Cost: 10m 1 wp Mins: Essence 3
                              Keywords: Decisive only
                              Prerequisites: Blade of light
                              To use this Evocation, the wielder must be at Initiative 15+ and have created at least 9 groups of sparks. The wielder concentrates all of the sparks into a large explosion. She makes an unblockable decisive attack against a group of enemies at close or medium range, making a single attack roll. She divides her Initiative +( number of spark groups/2) evenly among all hit enemies (round up) to determine the raw damage rolled against them, ignoring Hardness. The wielder adds the threshold successes she rolled over each target’s Defense as bonus dice of decisive damage against that target.

Further evocations that wouldn’t be necessary to write up before I used the daiklave in a game might be a bigger explosion at longer range, a blinding attack, Sending the sparks to provide penalties to specific individuals, or an evocation to reflexively clash an attack with successes creating more sparks rather than gaining the wielder initiative.

​Which evocations are weak?, which are too strong?, which look like I'm not using the mechanics as I should to get the effect that I'm apparently hoping to portray?

It's my first bit of third ed. homebrew any feedback at all would be appreciated.​

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game
                              http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtop...7a1c&start=272

Comment

• I like this artifact a lot actually, although I would probably move "Light Driven Sorcery" to essence 1 and have it be a separate branch off of Flight of Fireflies. You will likely end up taking Empty the Hive as well but you won't have to before taking a sorcery charm It does remind me of some of the tricks you can pull of in Monster Hunter World with an Insect Glaive

Comment

Working...
                                X