No announcement yet.

[3E] The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is something I put together for a Nightingale Style martial artist - made before Arms of the Chosen came out, but it still seemed OK with me although I'm a bit worried I have too many charms fired off with willpower.

Light's Refrain - Orichalcum Lyre (3 dot artifact)

Late in the first age, a Zenith caste martial artist of the Nightingale Style named Omanil Deft-Tongue had the strings on his weapon/lyre destroyed in battle against a fair folk noble when they were turned into streams of blood. He commissioned a notable Twilight crafter to restring the instrument with something unbreakable, and after a decade of preparation and a petition to the heavens it was repaired with strings made of the light from a solar eclipse. Omanil then immediately declared that only fair folk blood would do to rechristen the weapon, and so with the Twilight hunted down a fair folk tribe roaming near the edge of creation, and slew them all.

Ever-Stylish Ensemble
    Cost: 1m
    Min: Ess 1
    Type: Simple
    Duration: Instant
    Keywords: None
    Prerequisite: None

The Exalt’s clothing glows brightly for a second, and then becomes ideal for both situation and company. Use of this evocation causes the wielder to automatically fail at any current stealth attempts, unless used at noon on a sunny day or in a similar situation the Storyteller deems appropriate.

Favourite of the Light
    Cost: None
    Min: Ess 2
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Keywords: Shaping?
    Prerequisite: Ever-Stylish Ensemble

The light falls favourably on the features of its chosen, highlighting their best aspects and casting their flaws into shadow. While attuned to Light’s Refrain and illuminated enough to clearly see the Exalt’s face, she is considered to have an appearance one higher than normal.

Shadow Dimming Harmony
    Cost: 4m + 1 WP
    Type: Supplemental
    Duration: One Scene

Light’s Refrain begins a duet with the wielder, adding a soft accompaniment to any music played that is the antithesis of creation’s enemies. Any creatures of darkness struck by a kiai from this weapon suffer a one die internal penalty, for a number of rounds equal to the Solar’s essence, on all actions. For social actions, this penalty is increased to their own essence rating. This penalty does not stack on multiple strikes, but the duration does. This evocation immediately ends if Glory to the Heroes is used.

Glory to the Heroes
    Cost: 4m + 1 WP

Light’s Refrain begins a duet with the wielder, adding a stirring, and uplifting accompaniment to any music played that inspires the Solar’s allies to become paragons of virtue. Anyone hearing this who bears a mutual positive tie to the Solar gains two non-charm bonus dice to all rolls. For the Exalted, this bonus becomes two automatic non-charm successes if the roll is using one of their caste or aspect abilities. This evocation immediately ends of Shadow Dimming Refrain is used.

Enemy of the Heavens
    Cost: None
    Min: Ess 3
    Type: Permanent
    Prerequisite: Shadow Dimming Refrain, Glory to the Heroes

Any being who the Solar has a negative intimacy towards counts as a creature of darkness for the purposes of Shadow Dimming Harmony, and any Solar charms used while Shadow Dimming Harmony is in effect. This adds an optional, additional cost of 1WP to Shadow Dimming Harmony . Anybody targeted by this evocation becomes fully aware of how the Solar feels about them!

The Sun Conquers All
    Cost: 1 WP
    Min: Ess 3
    Duration: One Hour
    Prerequisite: Favourite of the Light, Enemy of the Heavens

During either Calibration or a Solar Eclipse, the true nature of the strings become apparent. Glowing with the captured light of the sun, it becomes as bright as noon-day within 100 metres of Light’s Refrain. Unprotected mortals must make a difficulty 1 Wits + Athletics roll to avoid being permanently blinded, and creatures of darkness immediately become material and treat the light as an environmental hazard resisted with Stamina + Integrity, difficulty 4 with damage of 3A per round. Solars and Lunars within the light gain 1 mote of essence per minute, increasing to 1 mote per round in combat.

Comment

• This is an ace thread. I don't have any submissions to contribute but I want you all to know I'm basically going through the whole thing and yoinking all the good ones into a word file for future games. 👍

3e Scavenger Lands map
      3e Combat tracker card
      2e Nexus map

Comment

• This is a bit of a thought experiment more than a practical thing, and I'm looking much more for rough ideas I could use for a kind of MacGuffin than something the PCs are going to be using on a regular basis, but what would an equivalent to the Protoshinmaic Vortex look like in 3e, with Evocations and all? I don't think it should be quite so hilariously unstable if it's going to last from the First Age, or else it'll have to have some kind of stabilising facility (totally-not-a-nuclear-facility manse, anyone?). As for evocations, I have a few ideas:
        • Allows the user to respire Essence in non-suitable environments (e.g. the Underworld for a Solar)
        • Increases the owner's rate of Essence respiration
        • Functions as a Hearthstone
        • Overdrive pools
        • Maybe some kind of Wyld Shaping enhancement?
        • Some kind of AoE attack, maybe modelled on Karvara's Voice of Apocalypse, as a kind of limited version of its 'meltdown' thing?
        I do feel that it's a little dull at the moment, and it's definitely not intended as an artefact primarily for combat. Maybe the majority of the Evocations have Dissonance effects, or even non-Resonant effects, that 'pollute' the surrounding area with Wyld energies (coughradiationcough), so it's really, really dangerous to use by anyone that isn't Resonant with it - i.e. Solars most likely. Any ideas or thoughts would be more than welcome. Also, if someone could remind me which book the PSV is in that would be handy, as I've been looking through the Books of Sorcery and CoCD: The Wyld and I can't find it there.

In terms of visual 'look', I can't help but think of the egg-thing from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8iSobsKTY
        Last edited by ajf115; 06-30-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Been a while since I've come to this thread but now I've started playing in a new DB campaign and am playing a Water-Aspect magistrate, and I came up with an armor with cool Evocations so I thought I'd share it here.

Benthic Shroud (Black Jade Reinforced Breastplate ···)

Benthic Shroud is made up of moonsilver-alloyed black jade plates enveloped in flowing deep blue cloth. This exotic fabric changes subtly in hue as it reflects the light and conceals the armour’s moonsilver links and straps from view. It has a single hearthstone socket hidden under the gorget.

It originally belonged to the lunar anathema Silken Fangs, who was slain by Tepet Nikara during the first conquest of Wavecrest in 368 RY. It has been worn by several Tepet scions ever since, particularly those whose duties require both protection and subtlety.

The nature of Benthic Shroud favours adaptability and obscurity. It protects its wearer under layers and layers of falsehood and misdirection, both figuratively and literally.

Because of its unique legend and construction, lunar exalted gain the benefits of resonance when unlocking Benthic Shroud’s Evocations.

A non-dissonant wearer unlocks Dragon Scales under Foam for free upon first attuning to Benthic Shroud.

Evocations of Benthic Shroud:

Dragon Scales under Foam:

Cost: 1m; Mins: Essence 1
          Keywords: Resonant
          Prerequisite Charms: None

The flowing cloths of Benthic Shroud flow and change colour as the wearer wishes, obscuring the jade plates beneath. This allows the armour to take on any appearance the wearer can imagine, as long as it still covers most of the torso. The armour always counts as exceptional equipment for disguise rolls and negates any penalties for including the armour as part of the disguise.

Resonant: the cloth answers swiftly its wearer’s directions, allowing a disguise action to be completed in just a minute. If combined with other magic, such as Instant Disguise Prana, a disguise can be donned or shed in a handful of seconds or a single miscellaneous action during combat.

Depths-Hidden Secrets:

Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 1
          Type: Reflexive
          Keywords: Mute, Dissonant
          Prerequisite Charms: Dragons Scales under Foam

The wearer of Benthic Shroud sinks into his own deception like a pebble tossed into the water. While wearing a disguise, the wearer may use this Evocation to form a Major Intimacy that reinforces his new role. He may call upon this Intimacy to resist any influence that would cause him to break character. Additionally, he may add it as a bonus to his Guile against any Read Intentions or Profile Character actions that would compromise his cover. The Intimacy fades when the disguise is removed or the current scene ends.

Dissonant: the Intimacy is only Minor.

Darkened Waters Resilience:

Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 1
          Prerequisite Charms: Dragon Scales under Foam

Benthic Shroud folds and yields against assault, keeping its true strength hidden under a veil of impassivity. This Evocation adds the wearer’s Guile to the armour’s soak against a withering attack.

Resonant: if Depth-Hidden Secrets is active and the attacker has not seen through the disguise, add the Intimacy’s rating to the soak bonus granted by this Evocation.

Light-Swallowing Concentration:

Cost: 2+m; Mins: Essence 2
          Duration: Indefinite
          Prerequisite Charms: Depth-Hidden Secrets

With enough focus, even the light of essence can be swallowed under the waves. This Evocation can be activated whenever the wearer’s anima would rise to a new level, concealing it from view. He gains no benefit from it and produces no anima flux while this is active. When this Evocation ends, his anima instantly flares to its appropriate level.

Resonant: an Essence 4 repurchase allows the wearer to instead mimic the anima banner of any exalt he has previously witnessed, including iconic displays. This does not grant him access to any of their anima powers.

Moon-Reflecting Mirror Stance:

Cost: 4m 1w; Mins: Essence 3
          Prerequisite Charms: Depth-Hidden Secrets

The wearer obscures his true self under the lightless abyss of Benthic Depths. He may use this Evocation when his Guile is pierced while Depth-Hidden Secrets is active, causing the other character to only divine the Intimacy created by that Evocation.
          This Evocation can only be used once per target, unless reset by a successful persuade or instil action against that character that reinforces his cover.

Unfolding Tide Defence:

Cost: 6m 1w; Mins: Essence 3
          Prerequisite Charms: Darkened Water Resilience

When confronted with danger, Benthic Shroud sheds its layer of deception to escape unharmed. To use this Evocation, the wielder must be wearing a disguise and his attacker must not have seen through it.
          When struck by a Decisive attack, the wearer’s disguise is torn away, subtracting his total successes on the disguise roll from the raw damage of the attack, to a maximum of his Stamina + Larceny.

Resonant: the maximum amount of damage that can be reduced with this Evocation increases to Stamina + Larceny + Essence.

Renewing Tide Revelation:

Cost: (+5m); Mins: Essence 3
          Prerequisite Charms: Vaporous Visage Evasion, Moon-Reflecting Mirror Stance

This Evocation can be used when Vaporous Visage Evasion is triggered or when his disguise would be removed for whatever reason. By paying a 5 mote surcharge he can reflexively roll Wits + Larceny with Essence non-charm bonus dice to reflexively produce a new disguise. If her original disguise was pierced by a rolled action, then this new disguise roll must produce enough successes to beat it. If he is successful, that character cannot attempt to pierce his new disguise until she is given new reason to be suspicious.
          Once per scene.

Now I'm rather lost as to what to do with his weapons. I decided I wanted to go with a pair of short daiklaves, one made of Black Jade and the other of Red Jade, figuring I could do some cool fire/water combination powers, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas that work.
          I call upon the collective mind of the OPP forums to aid me.
          Last edited by BadassOverlord; 07-01-2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• I love the idea of someone escaping an attack fundamentally unharmed by leaving their opponent holding a wig or tangling their weapon in a dress or coat in such a way that the disguise is revealed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
              Now I'm rather lost as to what to do with his weapons. I decided I wanted to go with a pair of short daiklaves, one made of Black Jade and the other of Red Jade, figuring I could do some cool fire/water combination powers, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas that work.
              I call upon the collective mind of the OPP forums to aid me.
              What about using some 'volcano' symbolism? Less Volcano Cutter's 'eruptions' and more the 'lava flowing into water'. Or maybe you could draw inspiration from undersea vents?

Comment

• Cross-posting in the hopes of getting some feedback.

Ravenous Shade Prison
                From the shadowland now called Walker's Realm came the Ravenous Shade Prison. A deathknight wore this god-armor to battle the armies of Lookshy, and it has since been reclaimed by the Dragon-Blooded; Walker in Darkness's agents watch this development curiously, waiting to see if Lookshy brings it to bear against the Mask of Winters.

The warstrider is a slender titan of soulsteel, just over thirty feet in height, whose right wrist ends not with a hand, but with a black sword. The cockpit is designed with acoustic perfection in mind; the pilot may reroll one failed die on Inspire rolls from inside the cockpit.
                Any human directly killed by Ravenous Shade Prison finds their lower soul wrenched loose and drawn into the warstrider; the warstrider gains one Intimacy the slain person possessed, chosen by the Storyteller, at Minor level. If Ravenous Shade Prison already has that Intimacy at Minor level, it is upgraded to Major level, or to Defining level if it's already Major.

Attunement: 20m
                ​Soak: 15, Hardness: 10
                Damage Track: -0x5/-1x5/-2x10/-4x10
                Speed bonus: +2
                Hearthstone slots: 3
                Era: Fall of Thorns

Standard Armaments
                Sword-Arm: +3 ACC, +12L DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 5. Balanced, Lethal, Natural, Melee
                Unarmed: +5 ACC, +10B DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3. Grappling, Natural, Smashing

Through Shades' Eyes
                Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
                Duration: One scene
                Prerequisites: None
                The twisted faces of the dead materialize on the black metal of Ravenous Shade Prison, granting the pilot their senses. With these shared senses comes insight into their emotional state.
                The pilot ignores all penalties from darkness or blindness. The pilot also gains Double 7s on Read Intentions to puzzle out the Intimacies of the warstrider.

Venting Anger Venom
                Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
                Keywords: Dual, Resonant
                Prerequisites: Through Shades' Eyes
                Channeling one of the warstrider's Intimacies of hate or anger, Ravenous Shade Prison's arm glows with a black aura.
                ​On a successful withering attack, the damage is increased by (Charisma + Intimacy); for a successful decisive attack, the damage is increased by (Intimacy) dice. This degrades the Intimacy by one step. If the target is the object of the warstrider's hate, they are additionally poisoned with snake venom (EX3, p. 234).
                Resonant: Resonant pilots can choose not to degrade the Intimacy once per scene.
                Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when the pilot first successfully determines one of Ravenous Shade Prison's Intimacies with a Read Intentions action.

Hate-Devouring Hunger
                Cost: 1m, 2i; Mins: Essence 2
                Keywords: Perilous, Psyche, Resonant
                Prerequisites: Through Shades' Eyes
                Scenting the roiling emotions of an attacker, Ravenous Shade Prison seeks out those emotions and consumes them.
                If the pilot successfully defends, the attacker's most relevant Intimacy toward the combat is degraded by one step, and Ravenous Shade Prison adds the devoured Intimacy to its own. Assaulting the warstrider again this scene requires the attacker to pay a point of temporary Willpower.
                This Evocation may only erode a given Intimacy once in a scene.
                Resonant: All enemies must pay a point of temporary Willpower to attack the warstrider, not just the enemy who attacked.

Passion-Sewing Technique
                Cost: 3m, 1 wp; Mins: Essence 2
                Keywords: Psyche
                Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom
                Ravenous Shade Prison lowers the point of its sword and carves a furrow into the ground, creating a channel for the emotions roiling inside the warstrider. The pilot selects one of the warstrider's Intimacies, eroding it by one step. She makes a (Charisma or Manipulation + Performance) Inspire roll; any who cross the line whose Resolve is lower than the pilot's successes find themselves filled with the emotion from the Intimacy (Ex3, pg. 217). Ghosts and other dead things take a -2 penalty to Resolve against this effect.

Howling Pack Unfettered
                Cost: 10m, 1wp (+2a); Mins: Essence 3
                Keywords: Dissonant
                Duration: Scene
                Prerequisites: Passion-Sewing Technique
                Lowering its blade, the warstrider sews the ground with the restless dead. From the furrow cut into the earth pour a stream of hungry ghosts, forming a Battle Group with a Size of (Essence-2), poor Drill, and Might 2.
                If Howling Pack Unfettered is used during the day, the pilot may pay 2 levels of anima to create an aura of shadows that extends out to Medium range to protect them from the ruinous effects of the sun.
                At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are drawn inexorably back into Ravenous Shade Prison.
                Dissonant: At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are freed from their bondage, and may come to haunt the region.

Empty Inner Peace
                Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
                Keywords: Psyche, Resonant
                Prerequisites: Hate-Devouring Hunger
                The pilot of Ravenous Shade Prison has learned to clear away unwanted emotions by shunting them into the hungry black steel. Any influence that benefits from exploiting one of the pilot's Intimacies may be negated by removing the Intimacy completely, adding it to the warstrider's list of Intimacies. The pilot may not restore the lost Intimacy for a season.
                Resonant: A resonant user can gain the same benefit from merely eroding the Intimacy by one step, but is still not able to restore it to full strength for a season.

Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                Cost: 20m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                Keywords: Dissonant, Psyche
                Prerequisites: Venting Anger Venom, Passion-Sewing Technique
                The pilot whips the ghosts contained inside to a frenzy, and then lets their passion emanate from the warstrider in a psychic scream that extends out (Essence x2) miles.
                Any within the area find their most bestial soul awakened by the silent call. They take a -3 penalty to their Resolve against Inspire rolls from any source for the rest of the scene, and a -1 penalty to Resolve against Inspire rolls after that for a year. Additionally, until their po soul grows quiescent again, affected individuals will leave behind hungry ghosts upon their death, regardless of the circumstances that led to it.
                Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Heart-Quenching Song.

Heart-Quenching Song
                Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
                Keywords: Dissonant, Psyche
                Duration: One song
                Prerequisites: Empty Inner Peace
                The pilot sings within the chassis of Ravenous Shade Prison, and her song is joined by the dead, producing a dirge that can be heard out to Extreme range in all directions. The lower souls of those who hear this music fall quiescent, and find their will to fight sapped.
                While playing this song in combat, enemies automatically lose one Initiative per round, and their successful withering attacks are not awarded the base point of Initiative. Enemies who spend Willpower to resist Hate-Devouring Hunger will take a -3 penalty on attack rolls.
                Moreover, enemy and allied battle groups alike take a penalty of (Essence) dice on rolls to rally for numbers.
                Ravenous Shade Prison may not take non-Reflexive actions while using this Evocation, as even its own will to do battle wanes.
                Those who hear the Heart-Quenching Song will not leave hungry ghosts upon their death if they should die within a year of hearing it.
                Dissonant: Dissonant pilots cannot learn both this Evocation and Million Screaming Mouths Howl.

Destroyer, Rise!
                Cost: 35m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                Prerequisites: Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                A pilot who awakens this Evocation has mastered the art of turning the anger of the restless dead toward his grand designs. Calling on ten thousand lives' worth of suffering, the pilot reaches out to the land itself, or a landscape-sized creature. She calls on it to awaken, to remember the days when it was a force of destruction, to free itself so that it may be so once more.
                This call to arms shatters any Charms or enchantments laid to keep the land quiescent. Catastrophe follows in the wake of this Evocation; a mountain may erupt into a volcano or let loose a lethal avalanche, or a city may be shaken to rubble by earthquake, or a great fissure may open in the ground and vent poisonous gasses sufficient to kill armies.
                This Evocation can only be used when Ravenous Shade Prison has at least five negative Intimacies; using this Evocation consumes all of the warstrider's Intimacies. This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by Ravenous Shade Prison gaining ten new negative Intimacies; the Dawn Caste anima power cannot reset this Evocation.
                Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and All Falls Silent.

All Falls Silent
                Cost: 30m, 3wp; Mins: Essence 5
                Duration: One song
                Prerequisites: Heart-Quenching Song, Howling Pack Unfettered
                The pilot may sing a lullaby to the world itself, helping a wounded land let go of its suffering. When the earth sleeps and forgets its pain, it may yet experience rebirth. The faces fade from the surface of Ravenous Shade Prison as they, too, experience freedom from their torment, and dissolve away one by one.
                The pilot rolls Charisma + Performance, with (Essence) automatic successes. Each minute they are allowed to continue uninterrupted purges (successes) square miles of shadowland from Creation. Any ghosts in the affected area are shunted into the Underworld; the living find themselves in the land's new incarnation in Creation.
                Other types of injured land might also be healed by All Falls Silent, subject to Storyteller approval.
                Ravenous Shade Prison loses all the Intimacies it has accrued.
                This Evocation can only be used once per story, unless reset by accomplishing a Legendary social goal with Ravenous Shade Prison; it cannot be reset with the Dawn Caste anima power.
                Resonant: Only Resonant pilots can learn both this Evocation and Destroyer, Rise!
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• I'd love to give some feedback, but i don't really feel confident enough in Ex3 mechanics to do so. Thematically I like the evocations and the warstrider. Howling Pack Unfettered fits what you were talking about on the other thread very well - a powerful ability with nasty drawbacks for Dissonant users.

On another subject, are there any Hellforged artifacts lying around somewhere? Because I was a fan of the vitriol-crafting of 2e and given how evocative the Yozis were, I can think of plenty of ideas for artifacts that invoke their themes. I'm currently working on a bit of an Infernal pirate - in a story, thus allowing me to use the Infernals without having to update all their mechanics - and I'm trying to think of an artefact that would work for him.
                  Last edited by ajf115; 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Cross-posting in the hopes of getting some feedback.
                    Overall, I quite like it! Very thematic, and it makes nice use of the idea of ghosts' passions. Some specific commentary, though:

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard
                    the warstrider gains one Intimacy the slain person possessed, chosen by the Storyteller, at Minor level.
                    I worry that this will produce a very long list of intimacies to keep track of. That can be managed - if a player takes this, I'd expect them to be willing to put in the effort. However, I'm also leery of the idea of having to come up with an intimacy every time this thing kills someone. I'd suggest putting in a clause that trivial opponents don't give any intimacies, and that you only gain one from a battlegroup, or perhaps one per Size level an attack reduces a battlegroup. Otherwise, I have visions of a player going "Well, I killed a Size 4 battlegroup, that's supposed to be hundreds of people, so I should get hundreds of intimacies, right?" Allowing that would pretty much destroy the "intimacy economy" you've set up.

Venting Anger Venom
                    Resonant: Resonant pilots can choose not to degrade the Intimacy once per scene.
                    Does this apply once per intimacy, or only once per scene total? E.g., if Ravenous Shade Prison has three intimacies, and I'm resonant with it, can I use Venting Anger Venom three times, using a different intimacy each time, without degrading them, or could I only do so once?

Special activation rules: This Evocation awakens at no cost when the pilot first successfully determines one of Ravenous Shade Prison's Intimacies with a Read Intentions action.
                    It's probably worth clarifying up above in the attunement section that the pilot of Ravenous Shade Prison doesn't automatically learn the intimacies absorbed. It wasn't clear to me that that was the case until I got to here. Also, what's RSP's Guile? Is it just 1, and any success on Read Intentions will pick up something? Or is it higher?

Hate-Devouring Hunger
                    Assaulting the warstrider again this scene requires the attacker to pay a point of temporary Willpower.
                    Resonant: All enemies must pay a point of temporary Willpower to attack the warstrider, not just the enemy who attacked.
                    These should be clarified, I think, to say whether it's just 1 WP cost to be able to attack for the rest of the scene, or 1 WP per attack. The latter would be too powerful, in my opinion. Even allowing the cost to be "reset" by another use of Hate-Devouring Hunger would be too much, I think. Or can Hate-Devouring Hunger not be used on the same attacker more than once anyway? It degrades the "most relevant intimacy", but does the note about degrading an intimacy no more than once a scene mean you can only use this on the single most relevant intimacy, or that once you've used it on that, it moves down to the next-most relevant, and so on, until you've gone through all their intimacies?

Passion-Sewing Technique
                    any who cross the line whose Resolve is lower than the pilot's successes find themselves filled with the emotion from the Intimacy (Ex3, pg. 217).
                    I'm not sure this makes sense. The page reference you give is to either Threaten or Inspire, but neither of those actually has an intimacy associated with an emotion. The emotion created by an Inspire action can act like an Intimacy for purposes of social actions that play on it, but that's not really the same thing. And intimacies don't necessarily have an emotional context - that's for ties, but principles can be much broader. What if RSP has an intimacy stolen from a slain Dragonblood, a principle of "Lookshy is worth any sacrifice to defend."?

I'd suggest changing this to say that it explicitly works as an Inspire on anyone who crosses the line, with the emotion being inspired being related to the intimacy used to "fuel" it, but subject to interpretation. So the above-mentioned principle could probably inspire emotions like patriotic fervour, an urge towards martyrdom, or even homesickness, while an intimacy like "the Realm, icy hatred" could inspire hatred, of course, but probably also dispassionate judgement or cool disdain.

Howling Pack Unfettered
                    At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are drawn inexorably back into Ravenous Shade Prison.
                    Dissonant: At the end of the scene, the surviving hungry ghosts are freed from their bondage, and may come to haunt the region.
                    I kind of wonder if drawing the shades back or not should be optional for non-dissonant users, and dissonant users must let them free - sometimes, a resonant user of this thing is probably going to want to haunt a place, and it's a little odd that only dissonant users can do so.

Million Screaming Mouths Howl
                    The pilot whips the ghosts contained inside to a frenzy, and then lets their passion emanate from the warstrider in a psychic scream that extends out (Essence x2) miles.
                    I'd suggest giving this an explicit range for combat purposes, something like "out to the fourth extreme range band, or (Essence X 2) miles out of combat."

Heart-Quenching Song
                    The pilot sings within the chassis of Ravenous Shade Prison, and her song is joined by the dead, producing a dirge that can be heard out to Extreme range in all directions.
                    Conversely, I'd say this one needs an out-of-combat range specified, since someone who wanted to make sure nobody left hungry ghosts could just stand in the middle of a city and start singing, even without being rolled into initiative. I'd suggest a mile for the range.

Destroyer, Rise!
                    Catastrophe follows in the wake of this Evocation; a mountain may erupt into a volcano or let loose a lethal avalanche, or a city may be shaken to rubble by earthquake, or a great fissure may open in the ground and vent poisonous gasses sufficient to kill armies.
                    Does this happen automatically? Does every landscape have the potential for disaster? And, if it does, how immediate is the catastrophe? I'd suggest putting in some text suggesting that the more inherently active or dangerous the land is, the more quickly the disaster appears, but it should probably take at least a scene to manifest no matter what.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                      I worry that this will produce a very long list of intimacies to keep track of.
                      A fair point.

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                      Otherwise, I have visions of a player going "Well, I killed a Size 4 battlegroup, that's supposed to be hundreds of people, so I should get hundreds of intimacies, right?"
                      That's not how defeating a battle group works; even if you deal enough damage to destroy the battle group two or three times over, it doesn't kill absolutely every last one of them; in fact, for battle groups above about Size 2, I'd expect that short of some absurdly lethal sorcery or other "I hit everybody" tricks, you only incapacitate, like, tens of people, and the rest are throwing down their arms and getting the fuck out of there.

That said, I'd like to put a clause in there about battle groups not contributing to the Intimacy list, something about the sheer press of souls stopping any one from sticking out enough to contribute to the gestalt personality of RSP, but I'm not quite sure how to word it.

I'm actually okay with individual insignificant opponents contributing to the list of Intimacies, though, because that feels appropriately corruptive.

Does this apply once per intimacy, or only once per scene total? E.g., if Ravenous Shade Prison has three intimacies, and I'm resonant with it, can I use Venting Anger Venom three times, using a different intimacy each time, without degrading them, or could I only do so once?
                      Just once.

It's probably worth clarifying up above in the attunement section that the pilot of Ravenous Shade Prison doesn't automatically learn the intimacies absorbed. It wasn't clear to me that that was the case until I got to here. Also, what's RSP's Guile? Is it just 1, and any success on Read Intentions will pick up something? Or is it higher?
                      I, ah, haven't decided yet. I want it to be pretty simple, hence the whole Charm making it ludicrously easy to do so, but I think maybe it should be a little harder to tease out the warstrider's feelings after it empties a town of souls.

These should be clarified, I think, to say whether it's just 1 WP cost to be able to attack for the rest of the scene, or 1 WP per attack.
                      Per scene. And it can't be used against the same target twice in a scene, though successive scenes are permitted; the degraded Intimacy is still almost certainly the most relevant, after all - you've just made them feel less strongly about it.

I'm not sure this makes sense. The page reference you give is to either Threaten or Inspire, but neither of those actually has an intimacy associated with an emotion. The emotion created by an Inspire action can act like an Intimacy for purposes of social actions that play on it, but that's not really the same thing.
                      You're not giving them an Intimacy - you're giving them an emotion, per the Inspire rules on the cited page. The emotion is based off the sacrificed Intimacy. Burning up a tie of Simon (Love) to fuel the Evocation doesn't cause people who cross the chasm love for Simon - it just fills their hearts with feelings of love.

And intimacies don't necessarily have an emotional context - that's for ties, but principles can be much broader. What if RSP has an intimacy stolen from a slain Dragonblood, a principle of "Lookshy is worth any sacrifice to defend."?
                      What Intimacies it picks up are up to the ST, mind, but my next editing pass will probably nix it being able to acquire Intimacies that have nothing to do with emotion.

Does this happen automatically?
                      Yes.

Does every landscape have the potential for disaster?
                      Yes.

And, if it does, how immediate is the catastrophe?
                      It starts when you use the Evocation. Immediately.

Comment

That's not how defeating a battle group works; even if you deal enough damage to destroy the battle group two or three times over, it doesn't kill absolutely every last one of them; in fact, for battle groups above about Size 2, I'd expect that short of some absurdly lethal sorcery or other "I hit everybody" tricks, you only incapacitate, like, tens of people, and the rest are throwing down their arms and getting the fuck out of there.
                        I'm aware of that, but a) warstriders probably do fall into the camp of "capable of killing a significant fraction of a battlegroup", and b) 10s of intimacies is still a lot too many in one fight, in my opinion.

That said, I'd like to put a clause in there about battle groups not contributing to the Intimacy list, something about the sheer press of souls stopping any one from sticking out enough to contribute to the gestalt personality of RSP, but I'm not quite sure how to word it.
                        You could also go with each dot of Size reduced gives an intimacy based on the "average" one for the group. So if the soldiers in a group mostly have an intimacy of "Lookshy (Loyalty)", the warstrider gets that.

If you want suggestions for wording of your idea, how about: "Attacking a battlegroup never provides intimacies, even when successful - so many souls passing at once makes it impossible for the warstrider's black soul to latch on to any in particular."

I'm actually okay with individual insignificant opponents contributing to the list of Intimacies, though, because that feels appropriately corruptive.
                        My big concern with trivial opponents counting is the idea that the pilot could just go to a convenient peasant village and stock up on intimacies by slaughtering everyone. I think that that sort of behavior being something that works both makes the corruption a bit too strong, and it devalues the intimacy economy of the charms. If you can trivially have 100 or more intimacies, does the fact that you've got to erode three or four in a battle really matter? I think it doesn't. If the intent is for RSP to pick up intimacies that easily, and have that many at once, I think I'd prefer for the mechanics to not worry about eroding specific intimacies at all. Simplify things by creating some other resource that's easier to track and is actually meaningful in play, I say.

I, ah, haven't decided yet. I want it to be pretty simple, hence the whole Charm making it ludicrously easy to do so, but I think maybe it should be a little harder to tease out the warstrider's feelings after it empties a town of souls.
                        That makes sense - basically, in all the huge mess, it's hard to figure out just one? Maybe increase Guile by the effective Size of the group of ghosts currently contained?

You're not giving them an Intimacy - you're giving them an emotion, per the Inspire rules on the cited page. The emotion is based off the sacrificed Intimacy.
                        Okay, basically what I suggested then. I'd clarify the writing then - for one thing, make sure it's explicit that this is an Inspire action. Right now, it's not clear that's what's happening.

What Intimacies it picks up are up to the ST, mind, but my next editing pass will probably nix it being able to acquire Intimacies that have nothing to do with emotion.
                        I'm not sure I'd describe principles as "not tied to emotion", though. They don't have a specific emotional context the way ties do, but they can certainly inspire emotion, and they're frequently appropriate for ghosts, which I'd consider an essential feature for this warstrider, at least. I could easily see "Lookshy is worth any sacrifice" being the defining principle of a ghost haunting Lookshy, for example. I'd say, when you write up the stuff about not acquiring intimacies not based on emotion, that you don't break it down into ties vs. principles, but rather make it clear that strong emotions are valid for both, but principles can generate a larger range.

It starts when you use the Evocation. Immediately.
                        Not sure I like that, or at least not if it hits at full intensity immediately. From the perspective of a player fighting this thing, I'd rather have at least a little time to deal with the catastrophe, get people to safety, that kind of thing. Instant, full-blown Pompeii-style all-encompassing volcanic erruption, wiping out thousands or hundreds of thousands of people, seems rather powerful even for Essence 5. Compare it to something like Rain of Doom, which takes an hour to build up, giving opponents a chance to do something about it.

Comment

• Starting immediately and hitting full intensity immediately are not the same, mind. How the disaster unfolds from there and how intensely it does so is largely up to the ST.

Comment

Starting immediately and hitting full intensity immediately are not the same, mind. How the disaster unfolds from there and how intensely it does so is largely up to the ST.

Ok, if it takes some time to build up to full strength, that's better. I'd put that in explicitly.

Comment

• I'm trying to write upthe start of an Artifact, and for now, only trying to get the first free evocation down. As for NPCs wielding, I'm planning to keep in mind what powers they've unlocked, and for players we'll design together. In any case, feedback please.

I'm especially interested if I should throw up some mote costs on the effects

Giant-Slaying Ebon Scepter is a massive goremaul.
                              Category Accuracy Damage Defense Overwhelming Attunement
                              Heavy +1 +14 +0 5 5
                              Tags: Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed
                              Hearthstone slot(s): 2
                              Themes: Weakness, Legendary Size Opponents, Death

After attuning to Giant-Slaying Ebon Scepter, the wielder gains the first Evocation for free.

Unholy Might
                              Cost: —; Mins: Essence 1 Type: Permanent Keywords: None Duration: Permanent When wielding Giant-Slaying Ebon Scepter, the wielder ignores 3 points of natural soak when attacking opponents. In addition, if the wielder is attacking a Legendary Size opponent, he considers his Strength as 2 higher for the duration of the attack.

My Bloodline conversions
                              My House rules

Comment

• Here's an artifact I've been working on. Basically it's a pair of handwraps designed to allow a wielder to mix sorcery and hand-to-hand combat together.
                                Now there are still some rough bits. I've marked a couple of charms as Work In Progress and most of the numbers (costs and dice caps) are eyeballed. If you wish to give feedback, those are good places to start.

Handwraps of Telestic Might (3-dot Orichalcum Handwraps)

It is said that at the height of the First Age Chosen of the Gods settled their disputes via elaborate duels such as competitive insulting, snipe hunts and - naturally - martial arts tournaments. Once upon a time the magnificent Sorceress of Seven Hues challenged a promising, yet arrogant Tiger stylist Vicarious Canape dua to a slight forgotten by time. As was the tradition, the challengee got to decide the nature of the duel: Canape chose a match of fisticuffs knowing its rules would prevent the Sorceress from wielding her mystic powers.
                                Faced with this dilemma the Sorceress of Seven Hues sought aid from her mate, Weaver of Argent Souls. When the Weaver of Argent Souls heard of Sorceress' plight, she tore two long strips of silken cloth from a grand tapestry she was weaving for another Lord of Creation and gave the strips of silk to the Sorceress. The orichalchum embroidery of the strips was to channel the finished Tapestry’s mystical energies, and separated from the whole, they became a distinct artifact, which was later named the Handwraps of Telestic Might. Thus armed the Sorceress of Seven Hues easily beat the arrogant Canape into a pulp.
                                Legend does not remember, why the Handwraps were never returned to the tapestry - which remains unfinished to this day.

The Handwraps of Telestic Might are a set of two orichalchum embroidered rolls of fine silk. Wrapped around a brawler’s hands they attune the wielder's ki with the ethereal forces of Creation. Thus the artifact guides the Chosen's strikes along the currents of Essence, effectively turning the sorcerer's strikes into an elaborate shaping ritual. The Handwraps' delicate essence pathways are easily disturbed and thus the wielder may not use its evocations, if they are holding any other weapon. This includes weapons with the Unarmed-tag. The only exception to this rule is when the brawler uses an opponent she is grabbing as a weapon (and the sorcerer's own fists, of course).

Designer’s Note:

I designed this artifact to emulate the blending of magic and physical combat seen in Fate/Stay Night and the later arcs of Mahou Sensei Negima. It's meant for those, who'd rather not have their glass cannon wait behind their comrade's backs while preparing her spells, but jump into the fray, while occasionally blasting a spell or two.

...None of you believe that, so I'll tell you the truth. I'm playing a Solar librarian, whose primary way of beating people up is by Brawling, but who also uses Sorcery. Lately I've been slightly miffed that I haven't been able to use any of her combat oriented spells - she hasn't dipped much into Occult and I don't want to spend several rounds doing nothing but gathering power. So, when I noticed that Arms of the Chosen's soulsteed grimcleaver had an evocation that allows flurrying Sorcery, I copied that evocation and built myself an artifact from there.

Now I know that blending Sorcery and anything else has a great risk of breaking the game. That's why I didn't even think about it, before I saw an official artifact do it first. Still, I don't have as much experience in balancing Exalted as I'd like to, so I'm looking for honest feedback about this artifact: do you see any evocations that are too powerful? Or have I been too careful, are the evocations too weak to bother with? I get inspired by themes and cool things, but my numbers-game is not that solid.
                                Anyhow, I've tried to mitigate the possible abuses by tying the evocations to one playstyle: the artifact's passive bonus is only useful, when engaged to a foe and most of the evocations are similarly restricted

This is a 3-dot artifact, because its main function is to allow a brawler combo her brawl ability with performing sorcery. It has no “unique style” nor mechanics that seem to define 4 and higher dot artifacts.

Evocations of the Handwraps of Telestic Might:

When the artifact is attuned for five motes, the wielder may add non-charm bonusdice equal to a relevant Intimacy to her Shape sorcery actions performed while engaged to an enemy.
                                Additionally, when the user is wearing the Handwraps, she gains access to the following Shaping Ritual:

The Handwraps of Telestic Might were made for a duel and their essence was permanently imprinted by the Sorceress of the Seven Hues’ fierce battle anima. Other users in later generations have only bolstered this history. Any time the someone is challenged into a battle in the wielder’s presence, the wielder may draw power from the Handwraps by rolling (Dexterity+Occult) and generating that many motes. If the wielder herself gives the challenge, she may roll (Dexterity+Occult+Essence) instead. These motes last until the end of next battle the wielder participates in. What counts as a challenge is ultimately up to Storyteller’s discretion, but most verbal declarations of assault should count. For example, an ambush or a hostile encounter does not count as a challenge, but a slighted lord demanding satisfaction or a written declaration of war does. In borderline cases think, whether the challengee can avoid confrontation by losing face or prostating herself.
                                The wielder may draw power from the Handwraps once per scene only, unless the challenge is given during a battle. If the wielder herself gives the challenge, she must face her opponent in battle, before she can challenge the same person again.

Attunement: 5m
                                Type: Light (as fists)
                                Tags: Worn, Brawl, Bashing
                                Heartstone slots: 2
                                Era: Era of Champions

Designer’s Note:

The Shaping ritual reflects the artifact’s history: it was made and used for a duel, so initiating duels lets you draw power from them. I’m still on the fence on whether you should actually accept the challenge to gather the motes. On one hand, I fear it happens too rarely to be relevant. On the other, current version is too spammable without the artificial once per scene limit.

Mystic’s Hands
                                Cost: 3m Mins: Essence 1
                                Keywords: Perilous, Resonant, Dissonant
                                Prerequisites: None

A fighter’s body is a temple and the Handwraps reveal its mystic power. When the wielder strikes, the Handwraps glow and weave sorcerous incantations in their wake.
                                This evocation allows the wielder to flurry Shape sorcery actions with Brawl and Martial Arts attacks. This flurried Shape sorcery action can only be used to begin and continue shaping the spell. The action to cast the spell cannot be flurried with this evocation.

Resonant: The wielder may waive the normal flurry penalty.

Dissonant: The wielder may only flurry Shape sorcery with Brawl ability.

Special Activation: This evocation awakens at no cost, when the artifact is first attuned.

Designer’s Note:

This is the Evocation I built the whole artifact around. I basically took that one soulsteel Grimcleaver’s evocation and changed it a little - both to make it weaker (3-dot evocation at the beginning of the tree compared to a 4-dot evocation later in a tree) and to make it support the desired playstyle of mixing spells with hand-to-hand brawling. This evocation is a bit boring by itself, but it does provide a completely new way to fight, so maybe it’s enough. It’s meant to combo with the next evocation - that’s why you cannot use this evocation to cast a spell in a flurry.

Power Gathering Strike
                                Cost: 4m Mins: Essence 1
                                Keywords: Dual, Dissonant
                                Prerequisites: Mystic’s Hands

Every move the brawler makes forms another word of sorcerous power into the Handwraps. When she harries the opponent, the Handwraps weave lyrics of a song that ends the fight. When she closes in for a killing strike, her hands form the crescendo of a spell being realized.
                                This evocation supplements an Unarmed withering or decisive attack. After a successful withering attack, but before rolling damage the wielder may transfer up to their (Wits+Occult) extra successes to her Shape Sorcery roll. These dice reroll all 1s until they fail to appear.
                                When the wielder completes a successful decisive attack, she may immediately flurry a Shape Sorcery action (as if they had used Mystic’s Hands) and cast the spell, if they gather enough motes. The wielder’s martial prowess enhances the spell, so if the spell has an activation roll, she gains bonus dice equal to the highest wound penalty inflicted by the attack or her Essence, whichever is lower.

Dissonant: The wielder does not reroll 1s nor gains bonus dice to the activation roll.

Designer’s Notes:

This is the second workhorse evocation of this artifact. For my character, I might be satisfied with just this and Mystic’s Hands. This evocation provides incentives to attack often and combo decisives with spells. Do note, that the withering version of this evocation does not provide a free activation of Mystic’s Hands unlike the decisive version.

Essence Preserving Battle-Meditation WIP
                                Cost: 2i Mins: Essence 1
                                Prerequisites: Mystic’s Hands

This evocation allows the sorcerer to retain their sorcerous motes even if they did not perform a shape sorcery action this turn.

Designer’s Notes:

This evocation feels a bit lackluster, and I think I should either give it additional effects or scrap it completely. I just feel it fills a place in this kind of artifact - someone who uses both her fists and sorcery to fight might have situations she cannot shape the spell. In these cases it’s helpful to have something preventing her from losing her motes.
                                (This evocation definitely needs some more oomph. It’s on the top of my Rework-or-Replace Pile.)

Silk As Steel Approach WIP
                                Cost: 8m, 1wp Mins: Essence 2
                                Duration: One scene
                                Prerequisites: Power Gathering Strike

The wielder commits the charm’s cost and lets her energies empower the wraps, which weave into weapons sharp as a wood dragon's claws and hard as bronze. Using this evocation turns the wraps into an equivalent of artifact Slayer Khatars or Smash fists (the type must be chosen when the Evocation is purchased) for as long as the motes remain committed.

Designer’s Notes:

This evocation comes from fluff, rather than mechanics. I’ve heard a suggestion it should not be an evocation at all and that the Handwraps should have a weapon profile by default.
                                But in my mind, the Handwraps were not made to be weapons, but a tool to weave sorcery and brawling together. Thus in their natural state, they allow doing sorcery while fighting, but let your fists do the damage. (Hopefully it’ll also offset the fact that you can cast powerful spells in the midst of battle.)
                                This evocation comes to meet my critics in the middle: those who want to give the artifact a bit of extra oomph, can use this to get some more damage.
                                (On the other hand, on paper this evocation only turns the Handwraps into an artifact with a whopping 13 mote attunement. I feel this one needs an additional effect to be worthwhile.)

Rival-Constricting Vines
                                Cost: 5m Mins: Essence 2
                                Keywords: Perilous, Decisive-only, Resonant
                                Prerequisites: Power Gathering Strike

This evocation supplements a decisive Grapple gambit. When the wielder grapples a sorcerer, the handwraps spring into life and slither to constrict the enemy mage. If the grapple is successful, the wielder may reflexively roll a (Wits+Occult) to counterspell any spell the target had been shaping. She may take the leeched sorcerous motes to power a spell of her own or convert them into bonus dice for the roll to establish grapple duration. If the wielder succeeds to completely negate the spell or if the spell otherwise fails during the grapple, the wielder gains 2 points of temporary Willpower. If the opponent still has motes left after the initial roll, the wielder may counterspell as her grapple action.

Resonant: When using this evocation, the wielder can counterspell like she knew the target spell as long as they are initiated into the spell’s Circle. If the wielder also knows the target spell, she gains one automatic success to the roll.

Designer’s Notes:

I love the idea of a brawler grappling someone, causing the handwraps to animate and slither to bind the opponent. My character has never managed to perform a grapple before (reasons vary from the rare and fast combat of our campaign and me foolishly ignoring Initiative boosters), but I wanted at least one evocation to enhance a grapple gambit.
                                This evocation has a potential to be very strong (especially with its resonant effect), but it’s also very, very situational.

Wisdom Bestowing Rapport
                                Cost: - Mins: Essence 2
                                Keywords: Dissonant, Resonant
                                Prerequisites: Essence Preserving Battle-Meditation

The Handwraps have had many wielders and each has left a part of herself into the wrap's embroidery. As the wielder's bond with the artifact deepens, she may study the orichalchum embroidery to learn its mystical secrets. This evocation allows the wielder to learn one spell for no xp cost as long as the sorcerer meets its prerequisites. This spell can be cast only when the caster is attuned to and is wearing the Bandages.
                                If the sorcerer later pays the experience cost to learn the spell, they may use this Evocation to pick a new one.

Special Activation: This Evocation awakens at no cost, when the wielder supports a Major or Defining Intimacy by defeating a sorcerous enemy.

Resonant: The spell granted by this evocation may be picked as an additional Control spell. If the wielder gains another spell via this Evocation, she may choose which she keeps as a Control spell. This switch can be done only, when picking a spell via this evocation.
                                Dissonant: Those dissonant with the artifact may not awaken this Evocation.

Designer’s Notes:

This is another evocation I snatched from another artifact (can’t remember which, there might have been a couple). I like the idea that the Handwraps have had many masters in the course of history and each has left their mark on it. It also hints about the artifact’s original purpose.
                                The Control spell resonant effect was suggested by a friend and I decided to throw it in. It makes this evocation a little more interesting than a mere free spell.

Delayed Casting Method
                                Cost: 8m, 1wp Mins: Essence 3
                                Keywords: Perilous, Dissonant
                                Prerequisites: Essence Preserving Battle-Meditation

This evocation allows the wielder to commit its cost to store a Terrestial Circle spell that only affects the caster into the handwraps. The Spell may then be reflexively cast by paying the charm’s mote cost. Mind that the wielder must also pay the one point of willpower for beginning the shaping action. Effectively, when the wielder uses this evocation to store the spell, they pay two points of Willpower and regain one point when releasing the spell. At essence 4 the wielder may use this evocation to store Celestial Circle spells. Spells that have a potential to target characters other than the wielder can be stored, but when manifested affect only the wielder. (For example, if the wielder uses this evocation to cast Stormwind Rider, the spell will manifest around her - all others must use an action to hop aboard. Technically one could store an offensive spell, like the Death of Obsidian Butterflies, into the Handwraps, if they designate themselves as the only target.)

Dissonant: The wielder does not regain the point of willpower for casting a spell, when the spell is released.

Designer's Notes:

This evocation is designed that a martial spellcaster may use their “power-up” spell (such as Wood-dragon’s Claws or Invulnerable Skin of Bronze) at the beginning of the combat. I first wrote it to store any spell, but it fear everyone would just store Magma Kraken or Death of Obsidian butterflies to use as an opener for every combat.
                                Someone invested in both Brawl and Sorcery (read: my character) might lack the Occult dice adders that pure sorcerers have. That’s why it’s impractical to power up at the start of combat. (Especially in our campaign, where the combat is over after a couple of rounds.) Sure, Invulnerable Skin of Bronze lasts a day, but you’re gonna look foolish trampling around the town like that.

Puissant Magic Armour WIP
                                Cost: 5m, (1wp) Mins: Essence 2
                                Keywords: Dual
                                Prerequisites: Silk as Steel Approach, Essence Preserving Battle-Mediation

The Handwraps move instinctively to protect their owner. When hit by a withering attack the wielder may exchange three sorcerous motes to increase her evasion by one (up to their Essence).
                                When hit by a decisive attack the wielder may pay a point of Willpower to immediately perform a Shape Sorcery action. If this roll enables the wielder to complete a spell, she may cast it against her opponent as a clash action. If she cannot generate enough motes or if she chooses not to cast the spell, but has conjured at least half of the sorcerous motes required,the sorcerous energy is expelled violently to hurl the wielder one range band away from the opponent. If the wielder could have cast the spell and decides not to, she is hurled two range bands instead. (The wielder is still hit by the original attack.)

Designer’s notes:

This is another evocation I designed to fit a hole. I know that I don’t have to design every ten evocations at once, but leaving an artifact “unfinished” bothers me. I also think that the Handwraps should have an evocation that protects the user in some way. They are already vulnerable when they rush into combat without a weapon.
                                As it currently stands, the withering effect is a bit boring, but it’s allowed to be if the decisive is flashy enough. The decisive effect is based on another spark of imagination, but I have no idea whether it works without testing. At the moment, this evocation is high in my Rework-or-Replace pile.

Unity Restoring Sacrifice
                                Cost: 12m, 2wp Mins: Essence 4
                                Keywords: -
                                Prerequisites: Wisdom Bestowing Rapport, Delayed Casting Method

The Handwraps remember being part of a larger whole and yearn to return to their original home. This evocation can be used to reweave the Handwraps into the Grand Tapestry of Argent Soul and thus complete the Weaver’s magnum opus. The Handwraps of Telestic Might effectively cease to exist as their essence merges with the Tapestry's grand weaving.

The effects of completing the Grand Tapestry should be up to the Storyteller's and player's discretion. The Tapestry itself is an NA artifact woven with all known magical materials (and few unknown ones) by a powerful First Age enchantress. Making it whole could grant the Tapestry's new evocations to the wielder or produce any thematically appropriate effect roughly equivalent to a Solar circle Sorcerous Working. Themes such as making whole something unfinished or rent apart, spreading sorcerous lore through Creation, or protecting something dear through self-sacrifice are part of the Tapestry's story.
                                If a non-solar wielder is able to invoke this evocation, the Tapestry's completion permanently elevates her essence, essentially granting her the ability to wield sorcery one Circle higher than usual.

Special Activation: This evocation cannot be bought. The wielder has to go on a quest to find the Grand Tapestry of Argent Soul. The Evocation will awaken at no cost at the end of the story the Tapestry is found. When the evocation is used, the wielder may use the experience points she has invested in the Handwraps to buy evocations of the Grand Tapestry. If the Tapestry has no evocations in your story or it is used to complete a Sorcerous Working, the spent experience points are returned to the wielder.

Designer’s Note:

I like artifacts that tell a story or are an integral part of one, so I designed the Capstone with that in mind. I felt that the rest of the evocations already fill this artifact’s theme and function, so making some kind of special attack would be superfluous - sorcery is already flashy as heck! There’s no need to underline it further with a flashy capstone. (Tho I’m tempted to design some kind of spellstrike attack as an alternative.)
                                So, this capstone is probably a disappointment to some and undeniably cool for others. I intentionally left its exact effects vague, so an ST can tailor it to fit her campaign and the wielder’s character arc.
                                And if you want a more traditional capstone, you can always rule that the tapestry turns into even bigger handwraps that have even better evocations.

Aaand HERE's a link to the active google doc with a changelog.

Comment

Working...
                                X