Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[3E] The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We have silk armor already. Or did you mean something else?


    Brainstorm: A gold (or whatever) cape or cloak that becomes animated and moves to block/parry attacks against you in a fight

    Comment


    • I was watching a video about gold sheet that is still made using renaissance tools, and is made so thin it would break in the wind. Some cloth like this would be very flattering on the body, almost like wearing nothing at all! What about an armor about enhancing appeal (in and out of combat) and evasion (like skin, but slicker)?

      Comment


      • Here is a proof of concept for a weapon one of my players wanted for an upcoming game. I'd love to get feedback or ideas for more Evocations. The concept is for a weapon that can change shapes, but can be a little moody at times. I thought having it be created by Luna, have a shape library and a Tell would be very thematic. Thoughts?

        Ardunril, the Mercurial Blade (Moonsilver Blade, Artifact ••••)
        The Mercurial Blade was given to the Lunar known as Silver Blade in the early First Age as an reward for surprising and nearly besting Luna during a sacred hunt. Silver Blade was unaware of the true nature of her quarry until it intentionally transformed into the path of the blade. Luna's quicksilver blood ran down the blade, then spread to consume it. Moments later when the blood receded, a new being was awakened and Ardunril, the Mercurial Blade was born.

        Ardunril true form is that of a ornate moonsilver diakliave with a series of circular patterns along one side of the blade, a pattern that mimics the path Luna's blood ran when it first run down it. This pattern will always, in some way, manifest in any form the weapon takes in a manner similar to a Lunar Tell.

        The Mercurial Blade was lost during the conflict at Meru and considered destroyed. However, the blade currently sleeps in the form of an ornamental shortsword somewhere in the east.

        Attunement: 5m; Type: Medium (true form) (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
        Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced (true form)
        Hearthstone slot(s): 2
        Era: The First Age

        Special Activation Rules: Only Lunars or shapeshifters of comparable prowess resonate with Ardunril. Sacred Shapes awakens at no cost upon attuning to Ardunril.

        Sacred Shapes
        Cost: —; Mins: Essence 1
        Type: Permanent
        Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: None

        It is Ardunril's wish to feel the touch of every blade in Creation and beyond. The first time in a scene Ardunril successfully parries a melee weapon whose shape it does not know, Ardunril will assume that weapon's shape until the end of the following round. If, during that time, it is used to sucessfully attack or clash the same weapon it's Tell will glow in a manner similar to a Lunar anima banner at the glowing level. From that point on, Ardunril will learn that weapon's shape permanently.

        A user may prevent Ardunril from taking on a new shape in this manner for the rest of the scene by spending a point of Willpower. However, doing so too often will cause it to rebel against it's owner, causing them to temporarily become dissonant with it until Ardunril learns a new form or the light or the next night.

        Resonant: Users resonant with Ardunril may prevent it from shapeshifting without spending Willpower.

        Dissonant: Users dissonant with Ardunril may not prevent it from shapeshifting.

        Mutable Form
        Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 2
        Type: Supplemental
        Keywords: Resonant, Dissonant
        Duration: Indefinite
        Prerequisite Charms: Sacred Shapes

        Upon activating this Evocation, Ardunril takes the shape of another weapon in it's library. The form persists as long as the commitment lasts. Magic materials other than moonsilver can be mimicked through the use of this Evocation, but are not truly present. As the Mercurial Blade, Ardunril vastly prefers to be a bladed weapon and will only take non-bladed forms at the behested of resonant users. If this happens too often, it will rebel and become dissonant in the same manner as detailed in Sacred Shapes.

        Ardunril may activate this Evocation itself reflexively (and at no cost) to shapeshift in dramatically appropriate moments at the Storyteller's discretion. When this happens, Ardunril's Tell glows like a Lunar anima banner at the glowing level. This may happen regardless of whether or not the Exalt has awakened this Evocation. Ardunril will return to it's true form at the end of the scene.

        Special Activation Rules: This evocation awakens at no cost when Ardunril learns a new form.
        Last edited by DarkWolff; 12-02-2020, 06:17 PM.


        --Lurker Extraordinaire!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
          We have silk armor already. Or did you mean something else?


          Brainstorm: A gold (or whatever) cape or cloak that becomes animated and moves to block/parry attacks against you in a fight
          More the Gold Cloths from Saint Seiya.


          https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/e0...2d7667e379.jpg

          Comment


          • I'd like some help buffing this particular Evocation from this custom artifact for my Dragon-Blooded game:

            Form and Function
            Cost: -; Mins: Essence 2
            Type: Permanent
            Keywords:
            Duration: Instant
            Prerequisites: Don the Lady and any one Charm this Evocation enhances

            When adopting the guise of Lady Magnificent (whether through Don the Lady or other means, such as mundane disguise), the user may enhance the disguise further with physical props infused by the Essence of the Visage. This enhances the effectiveness of the user’s Larceny Charms – sample upgrades are described below:

            Naked Thief Style: User may activate this Charm (Essence/2, round down) times Reflexively and at no mote cost to include hidden items as part of her disguise.

            Rose-Among-Thorns Distinction: By incorporating an identifier, such as a uniform, letter of marque, or badge of office, of a criminal society she has previously studied into the Lady’s disguise, she may maintain a speciality in that group for as long as she maintains her disguise in addition to the single speciality normally allowed by this Charm.

            Bramble Purse Technique: By incorporating physical deterrents into her outfit, lining her pockets with brambles, working sharp blades into her belt and the like, she may activate this Charm Reflexively when adopting her disguise and the duration is changed to last for as long as the disguise is worn.

            ****

            The inspiration here is MMOs that let you enchant bonuses onto your armor. Kinda like how Evocations work in general, but especially for things like Gunshoza armor and the Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation (both in Arms) where the Evocations really represent upgrades.

            (I think we've all played Fallout 4 and put scopes on Pipe Rifles. Or Skyrim and enchanted bracers to enhance potion making. Enchantment? Enchantment! Spending rune stones. Upgrading armor slots. That sort of thing.)

            The idea is being able to tweak upgrade your disguises by making them more elaborate to unlock magical abilities. A grab bag of effects that require the character to actually do something rather than just spend more Essence. Effects that, individually, might not be worth an Evocation, but taken together offer more flexibility and power. Sort of a disguise dumping ground for ideas that are cool but not too powerful.

            As ST, I would like the artifact to interact with the Dragon-Blooded Charm set and buff some of the more "meh" Charms in DB Larceny. I really don't like the idea of pushing a player to buy "Celestial level" Evocations because their native charms suck -- I want something that synergizes rather than replaces. But I am painfully aware that as written this isn't worth 12 Dragon-Experience. Any ideas?
            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-05-2020, 11:22 AM.


            Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

            Comment


            • A set of paintings/ sculptures/ photographs that are created in a single set. All of them are exceptional works of art in and of themselves, but what truly shines is their ability to evoke emotions, bypassing things like cultural and language barriers to evoke a single emotion. This can range from something as broad as 'anger' or 'happiness' to more specific likes one 'nostalgia' and 'schadenfreude', to 'Sonder'.

              A large set composed out of hundreds, this set of artifacts are often separated out, and it is the goal of many collectors to finally finish their collection (it is a good thing they're so durable, what with the bullets flying around). The artifacts are used for many things, ranging from collateral and stores of value, to showpieces for guests, to the basis of sorcerous workings. One of them, 'Euphoria', was used as the center of a drug den.

              The artifacts, of course, have charms to enhance their own function, but that doesn't mean that they're not the equivalent of 20-dice social attacks slamming into you face first. They are very, very well done, such that even copies hold a portion of their power. Mere tracings of the original can easily be used as art pieces by themselves. In more futuristic settings with internet and high definition photography, such copies will be diffused and spread out throughout a population, though their effects would be no more potent than, say, a particularly beautiful photograph of a sunset or a well-made pinup of a stunningly attractive woman.

              Comment


              • Hey Everyone!
                This is a WIP / First Draft of an Artifact mask for our ongoing Solars campaign. I haven't really looked into designing evocations for 3e, so what i'm especially looking for is feedback on the powerlevel/cost of the evocations and obvious red flags XD

                Thanks a lot!

                Mask of Screaming Memories
                White and Blue Jade Mask ( o o o )

                The Mask of Screaming Memories is a almost featureless Kabuki mask, made out of white and blue Jade. It lacks distinct mouth and nose openings, and the white jade surface of the mask is only broken by sharp, symmetrical tears of dark blue jade around the eyes and the cheeks.
                A hearthstone socket is embedded in the position of the faces Third Eye.

                Attunement: 3m

                When attuned to an exalted wielder, the mask grants perfect recall of all events, and stores all sensory information of the wearer, experienced while wearing the mask. While wearing the Mask, the wielder has access to these memories and is able to replay and re-experience sensory stimuli. After being unattuned for a day, the Mask gradually looses these memories.

                Evocations

                All evocations of the Mask of Screaming Memories can only be activated when the attuned character is actively wearing the mask.


                The Earth Remembers (3m,Reflexive,Essence 1)

                Remembering a slight suffered in the past, the exalt roots her thoughts in the strength and solidity of earth. Her mind becomes a bulwark set in its ways. Add 2 to her resolve for any instill or inspire social actions that aim to change her opinion or weaken one of her intimacies.
                Additionally, the wielder may activate this evocation for 5m, 1wp with an infinite duration to negate any influence of the warping ways of the wyld on her mind and memories.

                The Air Surrounds (3m, Reflexive, Essence 2)
                Prerequisite: The Earth Remembers

                The wielder can sense hidden threats through air motion up to close range while in an enclosed space such as a room. This extends to short range at Essence 5 When she comes within range of a hidden enemy or danger, she rolls (Perception + Awareness) with double 9s to detect it. In order for her to If she fails her initial roll, she may reactivate this evocation once per subsequent round to detect the same threat.

                Two Visions, One Mind (5m, 1wp; Simple, 1 Scene, Essence 1)

                For one scene, the wielder of the Mask can lend the mask to a a different character. As long as this one wears the mask, the mask records her sensory sensations - but not memories. Afterwards the attuned character can review these impressions as if they were her own.

                Two Minds, One Vision (10m, 1wp; Simple, 1 Scene; Essence 2)
                Prerequisite: Two Visions, One Mind

                Setting the Mask upon someone else's face, the Exalt can make them view and relive a scene stored in the Masks memory. Affixing the Mask on an unwilling character's Face is a difficulty 3 gambit. A character that is being force fed a memory is essentially completely unaware of her surroundings. Tearing off the Mask requires a Difficulty 2 Strength + Athletics action that cannot be placed in a flurry.

                Screaming Memories (8m,1wp; Simple; Instant, Essence 2)
                Prerequisites: The Air Surrounds; Two Minds, One Vision

                A mouth made out of essence opens where there was none before and the Mask emits a silent scream. Riding on this scream are memories and experiences of the wielder that assault the senses all listeners. The exalt channels one of her negative Intimacies into a Decisive Attack against everyone within Short Range using Intelligence + Lore +the intimacy's rating. This attack deals lethal damage if the target is the subject of the Intimacy used for the attack or holds an opposing intimacy. The Intimacy used for this charm must have been formed while wearing the Mask. For the reminder of the Scene the intimacies rating is reduced by 1. Once per scene unless reset by strengthening the Intimacy to it's previous intensity within the same scene.
                Last edited by zmefO; 12-28-2020, 10:09 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by zmefO View Post
                  Hey Everyone!
                  This is a WIP / First Draft of an Artifact mask for our ongoing Solars campaign. I haven't really looked into designing evocations for 3e, so what i'm especially looking for is feedback on the powerlevel/cost of the evocations and obvious red flags XD

                  Thanks a lot!

                  Mask of Screaming Memories
                  White and Blue Jade Mask ( o o o )

                  The Mask of Screaming Memories is a almost featureless Kabuki mask, made out of white and blue Jade. It lacks distinct mouth and nose openings, and the white jade surface of the mask is only broken by sharp, symmetrical tears of dark blue jade around the eyes and the cheeks.
                  A hearthstone socket is embedded in the position of the faces Third Eye.

                  Attunement: 3m

                  When attuned to an exalted wielder, the mask grants perfect recall of all events, and stores all sensory information of the wearer, experienced while wearing the mask. While wearing the Mask, the wielder has access to these memories and is able to replay and re-experience sensory stimuli. After being unattuned for a day, the Mask gradually looses these memories.
                  The base effect seems a bit weak to me - it sounds equivalent to Eidetic Memory, which is a 2-dot merit, doesn't require attunement, and doesn't get lost if you go a day without attunement, or require carrying around an artifact.

                  The Air Surrounds feels a little unconnected to the flavor of the rest of the artifact.

                  I really like the concepts behind Two Visions, One Mind, Two Minds, One Vision, and Screaming Memories.

                  I do worry about the duration of Two Visions, One Mind - if you're in the same scene as someone to activate the charm and give them the mask, how likely is it that they'll see something you don't? It feels more useful if you could give it to someone, then have them go somewhere else and experience something for you to replay, but I think that would generally involve a scene transition. Maybe it should upgrade with a higher essence or resonance, long-duration sense sharing seems a bit much for essence 1.

                  For Two Minds, One Vision, I think it could use more specific rules for what you can and can't do while unaware of your surroundings. That is, can you try to attack, can you defend yourself, etc. If these restrictions are serious, I think it could easily end up being too strong to be a difficulty 3 gambit. I also could that, depending on how strong the effect is, the mote cost may be too high. (For effects that potentially take someone out of a fight, I'd be more inclined to gate them behind initiative cost than essence cost, since a high initiative cost forces you to engage with the combat system, while a high mote cost can often end a fight in the first action, but otherwise can force the fight into a long moteless slog, neither of which are the most fun)

                  Screaming Memories feels a bit like an essence 3 charm then an essence 2 charm to me, though that's partially just because it's listed last and there aren't any higher essence evocations listed.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by autXautY View Post

                    The base effect seems a bit weak to me - it sounds equivalent to Eidetic Memory, which is a 2-dot merit, doesn't require attunement, and doesn't get lost if you go a day without attunement, or require carrying around an artifact.
                    It's a combination of the memory stone (2 dot hearthstone) and a hearthstone tiara (2 dot artifact), that's how I ended up at artifact 3, although i agree that there could be some added oomph.

                    Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                    The Air Surrounds feels a little unconnected to the flavor of the rest of the artifact.
                    Again, I agree. This is the evocation is the one i'm least happy about. I was looking for something air flavoured and perception enhancing and found all-encompasing air sense from the What Fire has wrought.

                    Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                    I really like the concepts behind Two Visions, One Mind, Two Minds, One Vision, and Screaming Memories.

                    I do worry about the duration of Two Visions, One Mind - if you're in the same scene as someone to activate the charm and give them the mask, how likely is it that they'll see something you don't? It feels more useful if you could give it to someone, then have them go somewhere else and experience something for you to replay, but I think that would generally involve a scene transition. Maybe it should upgrade with a higher essence or resonance, long-duration sense sharing seems a bit much for essence 1.

                    For Two Minds, One Vision, I think it could use more specific rules for what you can and can't do while unaware of your surroundings. That is, can you try to attack, can you defend yourself, etc. If these restrictions are serious, I think it could easily end up being too strong to be a difficulty 3 gambit. I also could that, depending on how strong the effect is, the mote cost may be too high. (For effects that potentially take someone out of a fight, I'd be more inclined to gate them behind initiative cost than essence cost, since a high initiative cost forces you to engage with the combat system, while a high mote cost can often end a fight in the first action, but otherwise can force the fight into a long moteless slog, neither of which are the most fun)

                    Screaming Memories feels a bit like an essence 3 charm then an essence 2 charm to me, though that's partially just because it's listed last and there aren't any higher essence evocations listed.
                    Thanks a lot for the feedback! On the duration of Two Visions, One Mind, My goal was basically 'this and the next scene' as duration, but as this it not something I've ever seen used, i might just go for a static or longer duration.

                    As for the other tips on combat effectiveness, thanks a lot! I agree this needs some more clarification and will try to rework this. I was struggling to find a comparable effect in the existing charms to use as a comparison.


                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X