X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by The Free Man View Post
    Thank you for making this. I might actually use this to make an artifact instead of my sorcery themed MA. I do have a question for you though. What, exactly, makes creating evocations so much fun for you? From my perspective, it doesn't seem much different from making a martial art. What difference do you see?
    This question gave me a good think before I could answer it.

The primary reason is because I figured it out sooner that Martial arts or other charms. I had created my sorcerer character I wanted to play and I like to give my GMs a "wishlist" of things to reward players with. However, none of the listed artifacts in the book did any sorcery enhancers, but the flavor text said it could be done (under Orichalcum's magic material benefits). So I set about making my own. When I got to the end, I felt the urge to make a second thing, so something to interact with spirits. My second weapon turned out so much better than the first, I had to make a 3rd to see if I still had it in me. After that, it just kept flowing out. I have more ideas now than I have time to write!

Another reason, or more like appeal, is that evocation trees tend to be smaller than Martial Arts trees. I don't HAVE a laundry list of powers ideas for each artifact I make, so it's nice that it fits the existing paradigm that I can do a 3-5 power thing and be done. That's not to say that you couldn't MAKE an artifact with 8-12 powers. But I wouldn't want to personally. I'd rather make the individual powers bigger with more depth than granualize it, and evocations seem to encourage, or at least allow, for that.

And finally, it was something that... I want to say Vance... one of the writers said in a thread. I wish I had the quote on hand, but I'm not willing to dig through Nishkriya right now. Anyways, it said that a big aspect of Evocations' creative space is "anything an exalt can't do." So if you want to be a Solar but you want to transform into a fire dragon... well go get your staff that lets you do that and go to town! So I immediately had a space to go with it.

In the end, I don't think it is any different from writing a martial art. But as I said, I figured it out before anything else mechanically, and it ended up playing to my strengths and preferences. Thanks for the feedback, it made me think!

Leave a comment:

• The Free Man
    replied
    Thank you for making this. I might actually use this to make an artifact instead of my sorcery themed MA. I do have a question for you though. What, exactly, makes creating evocations so much fun for you? From my perspective, it doesn't seem much different from making a martial art. What difference do you see?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    This is good. I'm gonna give it a shot and try to make an Artifact following your guide.

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Korusef View Post
    Thank you for this pure gold.
    I am not there yet, but sooner or later my players will want some Artifacts, this will help greatly.
    Thanks! I'm glad someone found it valuable.

I'll tell you right now, the only artifact I've created FOR ME to use in a game was my first one. And it was by FAR the worst one I've written. It's why I rewrote it later on. Practice will make you better, so when you're ready for it, try to write a few to get your feet wet. I bet you'll like your second more than your first, mechanically!

Leave a comment:

• Korusef
    replied
    Thank you for this pure gold.
    I am not there yet, but sooner or later my players will want some Artifacts, this will help greatly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X