X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primefactorx01
    replied
    Originally posted by Irked View Post
    By all means! My TeX skills are garnered to serve a very specific niche, and this ain't it.
    k! My TeX skills were originally fostered by the need to write scientific papers, (Or at least in that style) so I was definitely in the same boat. Everything else was learned for funsies!
    1. Why no table of contents or index? They're trivial to create if you are using custom commands rather than typing every charm by hand. They're not necessary, but on such a big document they'd at least be handy.
    2. I personally would use a two column format, since I feel it's easier to read and makes better use of whitespace because of all the line breaks. But I understand that may be a personal preference.
    3. Font issues. Looks like you're using... I think they're called bitmap fonts? They look fine printed, but on screen they can be less readable. Here's a comparison from your PDF to one of mine, blown up to something rediculous to illustrate the point. Same font, (Oh Computer Modern.) different encoding. I've also spent the last half our or so trying to replicate your issue on my system, so that I can tell you what it is that needs to be done, but I'm failing miserably. If your willing to share your header and tool chain, I might be able to figure out what it out easier.

There might be more... but I need to head to work!

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Originally posted by Primefactorx01 View Post
    And here I came into the thread thinking I'd offer to LaTeX up a PDF for you like I did for Sanctaphrax's Craft charms, only to find a very familiar looking document! Always nice to see LaTeX out in the wild.

I still need to read through these, probably over the weekend, but I have some LaTeX related comments and critiques if you're open to them.
    By all means! My TeX skills are garnered to serve a very specific niche, and this ain't it.

Leave a comment:

• Primefactorx01
    replied
    And here I came into the thread thinking I'd offer to LaTeX up a PDF for you like I did for Sanctaphrax's Craft charms, only to find a very familiar looking document! Always nice to see LaTeX out in the wild.

I still need to read through these, probably over the weekend, but I have some LaTeX related comments and critiques if you're open to them.

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueWinds View Post

Hah, I was wondering why you didn't have much feedback in my thread, which I thought was right up your ally.
    That's the why! It's a really great idea; I was just (a) already wrapped up in my project, and (b) didn't want to rip off yours by studying it too heavily.

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
    Very nice. I know a lot of people have been looking for something like this for quite a while.

I like what you've done with God-King's Shrike, even if I still don't quite buy it in Lore.

I'd be curious to know why you removed certain Charms. Most of the removals have pretty obvious reasons, but why get rid of

-Empathic Recall Discipline
    Couldn't suss out what it did that Unknown Wisdom Epiphany didn't. Didn't like the implication that UWE couldn't do "meaning behind the event," which the existence of this Charm implied.

-Splendid Magpie Approach
    Shouldn't require a Charm. Existence of Charm implied your supernaturally puissant character might otherwise need to roll to see if he fails to make a birdcall.

-Hull-Taming Tranfusion
    Probably should be Optional rather than removed, but three health levels per ship level? I just recoiled.

-Quicksilver Falcon's Eye
    I don't actually remember. I think I just didn't like the effect in general; I don't like the idea that "Okay, so don't apply your Resolve to this, or I'll know," is A Thing - applying your Resolve to incoming arguments should be, y'know, thinking about them, not something you consciously turn off.

-Culture Hero Approach
    Felt like something you should be able to do just by virtue of making a Read Intentions roll. Didn't like the implication that you needed a Charm to do so.

Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• BlueWinds
    replied
    Originally posted by Irked View Post
    I wasn't... positive... of whether that would violate forum rules? I mean, the data is clearly already out there, given the prevalence of Charm trees, but I didn't want to push my luck on first outing. Do any of the other adaptations out there include prereqs?

(The beautiful thing is that Charms are a LaTeX macro, so if this is permissible, it's all of "comment out this line, comment in that one" to put them back in.)
    Hah, I was wondering why you didn't have much feedback in my thread, which I thought was right up your alley.

This is honestly why I haven't just posted the entire charms chapter all at once, because I was nervous about it getting taken down. Thus my ability by ability approach. If no one seems to mind here, then... well, I may be deluging my thread with charm trees in a few minutes here. Now it sort of feels like my nerves have caused a whole bunch of duplicated effort. Though to be fair, my rewrite is changing a lot more - while it maintains core-book combat balance, it's more aggressively reworking entire trees that I'm not fond of.
    Last edited by BlueWinds; 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
    Irked, I'm so nerd crushing on you right now.

Edit: I see these don't have prerequisites mentioned. I guess you intend for them to be used with 3rd party charm trees?
    I wasn't... positive... of whether that would violate forum rules? I mean, the data is clearly already out there, given the prevalence of Charm trees, but I didn't want to push my luck on first outing. Do any of the other adaptations out there include prereqs?

(The beautiful thing is that Charms are a LaTeX macro, so if this is permissible, it's all of "comment out this line, comment in that one" to put them back in.)

Leave a comment:

• Flare
    replied
    Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
    Very nice. I know a lot of people have been looking for something like this for quite a while.

I like what you've done with God-King's Shrike, even if I still don't quite buy it in Lore.

I'd be curious to know why you removed certain Charms. Most of the removals have pretty obvious reasons, but why get rid of

-Hull-Taming Tranfusion
    -Culture Hero Approach

?
    yeah, this is something I'm curious about too. What made you decide to remove the charms you decided to remove? Ignoring the one that will probably make a multi page argument I'm curious about the others.

Leave a comment:

• Sanctaphrax
    replied

-Hull-Taming Tranfusion
    -Culture Hero Approach

?

Leave a comment:

• Totentanz
    replied
    Irked, I'm so nerd crushing on you right now.

Edit: I see these don't have prerequisites mentioned. I guess you intend for them to be used with 3rd party charm trees?
    Last edited by Totentanz; 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM. Reason: Edited to ask question.

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Actually, here's a hotpatch of my own: some Archery effects fail to specify whether they enhance Withering or Decisive attacks. Fixed; fixed "is disengaging" while I was at it.

Leave a comment:

• Irked
    replied
    Originally posted by AtG View Post
    One typo: in your definition of "is disengaging" you refer to Rush instead of Disengage.
    Good to know - thanks!

I'll probably let this simmer for a bit rather than try to hotpatch every typo individually, but I'm absolutely interested in knowing anything that people find - I'll try to update at intervals, as errors either pile up or stop piling up.

Leave a comment:

• AtG
    replied
    One typo: in your definition of "is disengaging" you refer to Rush instead of Disengage.

Leave a comment:

• AtG
    replied
    Without having read this yet, I expect it to be a significant improvement based on our discussions in other threads. Will definitely take a gander.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptic Tank
    replied
    This is very useful. You have my thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X