Gods of Egypt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henry View Post
    I get the whole problem with 'whitewashing,' but, insofar as race exists, the Egyptians are 'white.' Modern Egyptians are different from ancient Egyptians, as many of them are descended from the Arab conquerors who are a Semitic people and therefore 'white.' Ancient Egyptians were mostly likely a kind of Berber, who are also 'white.' If we're going to lump everyone in sub-Saharan Africa together and call them 'black,' and do similar things with other groups, why not white people as well? Swap out a Welshman for a Persian, or a Berber for a Croat. Damn white people all look the same to me, anyways.

As for the movie itself, it wasn't very good and in the category of ancient myths with a modern spin I much preferred the 2014 Hercules movie with the Rock in the title role. Still, it had some neat things to it and I do like a B movie from time to time.
    The issue is more the casting of no one who was even remotely Arab, Persian, or other Middle Eastern descent as I can gather for the main cast. Including some pretty blond-looking folks. And not having anything else really, in a region that had a lot of the "Middle of the road" position between teh Mediterrainean, Levant, and Africa.

Ancient Egypt and Nubia also had a lot of back-and-forth. The Nile culture as a whole was much bigger than what we typically describe as Egypt, it is just the stuff in Sudan has often been assumed to be Egyptian or outright neglected. This film didn't do itself any favors when in the original trailer the only person of color was a cowering black guy who as I gather gets killed on screen as well.

And stuff.
    Last edited by Blaque; 03-02-2016, 08:01 PM.

And stuff.
    Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      I get the whole problem with 'whitewashing,' but, insofar as race exists, the Egyptians are 'white.' Modern Egyptians are different from ancient Egyptians, as many of them are descended from the Arab conquerors who are a Semitic people and therefore 'white.' Ancient Egyptians were mostly likely a kind of Berber, who are also 'white.' If we're going to lump everyone in sub-Saharan Africa together and call them 'black,' and do similar things with other groups, why not white people as well? Swap out a Welshman for a Persian, or a Berber for a Croat. Damn white people all look the same to me, anyways.

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers
      Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

blast from the past

Hey, you, reading this! Do you want to see books about Fantasy North Africa? Check out Sanguine's latest Kickstarter for The Book Of Horn and Ivory.

Comment

I only just recently watching this movie as it was $2 to rent on itunes. The story was utter trash, which makes the casting even more stupid.

That being said, the CGI wankfest that they used to try and replace the story provided some incredible Exalted-styled imagery. Horus' battle armour looks as I imagine a suit of celestial battle armour would look, and the depictions of giant monsters, non-human gods and mutants, and giant manse-like buildings were all wonderful Exalted fodder.

If you haven't seen it, save yourself the pain, and just search for gifs and images.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Hold thread-necro, Batman!

But seriously, this movie was awesome. Like, loads of fun. Of course, if you're too busy being ultra-serious about story and casting, no, it wasn't very good. But come on, even the cast is laughing and doing the "wink-and-nod" style of thing. If you are watching it for awesome magitech and funny re-imagining and allegory to mythology? Pretty damned entertaining. Saying this as a guy who knows a lot about Egyptian myth, and never takes anything too seriously.

And Exalted is all over this film. Especially the Magitech. Ra's Solar gunship feels like a truly awesome manifestation of the Daystar.

PS: We saw this on Redbox, after the objectively irredeemably terrible BvS, and a few drinks in, so maybe that helped. Seriously, anything is more fun contrasted with that depressingly dark and terrible movie.
            Last edited by Lord Darkview; 04-09-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X