No announcement yet.

What Breaks If......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What breaks if you're allowed to use supplemental/reflexive combat charms on spells? It's mostly the Occult stuff I'm thinking, but would there be anything else to be worried about? Combat sorcery could use a boost.

Comment

• Well, since most attack spells are Occult rolls, you can use Occult combat charms. And I'm not sure what other combat spells will be appropriate. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to use Brawl charms to enhance Flight of the Brilliant Raptor.
      It would make sense to use Brawl charms to enhance attacks with Wood Dragon's Claw... but you can.

I play...
      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thanatos View Post
        What breaks if you're allowed to use supplemental/reflexive combat charms on spells? It's mostly the Occult stuff I'm thinking, but would there be anything else to be worried about? Combat sorcery could use a boost.
        If by "the Occult stuff" you mean, like, Spirit-Cutting Attack and Ghost-Eating Technique, those already work with attack spells.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          If by "the Occult stuff" you mean, like, Spirit-Cutting Attack and Ghost-Eating Technique, those already work with attack spells.
          Would any of the charms that explicitly function with other abilities also function with spells?

Craft rewrite.
          Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Is there someplace where that is spelled out explicitly (like, page number)? I definitely could see that being the case, but could also see the opposite being the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thanatos View Post
              Is there someplace where that is spelled out explicitly (like, page number)? I definitely could see that being the case, but could also see the opposite being the case.
              It's not spelled out explicitly. Spirit-Cutting Attack/Ghost-Eating Technique can supplement any attack; Death of Obsidian Butterfies is an attack.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

It's not spelled out explicitly. Spirit-Cutting Attack/Ghost-Eating Technique can supplement any attack; Death of Obsidian Butterfies is an attack.
                Mind = Blown. I would not have imagined that possible in the previous editions.

Craft rewrite.
                Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

What are your feelings on combining Death of Obsidian Butterfiles and Thunderclap Rush Attack?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wandering View Post

What are your feelings on combining Death of Obsidian Butterfiles and Thunderclap Rush Attack?
                    *Rereads*

Thunderclap Rush Attack is pretty specific that it allows you to make one attack in place of your turn that round, instead of instead of letting you take the shape sorcery action required to complete a Death of Obsidian Butterflies. Based on a strict reading, I don't think they'd be compatible (but if it came up in my game, I'd probably give it a Storyteller thumbs up).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Thanks! That was sort of how it looked to me too.

Comment

• What breaks if I give Craft the Lore treatment and use different crafts as specialities instead of now skills?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
                          What breaks if I give Craft the Lore treatment and use different crafts as specialities instead of now skills?
                          That's a relatively old one around here. I think consensus was "A few Charms that give you free dots in Craft don't work properly anymore" which is generally met with an "Oh well, working as intended." So nothing serious. Just cut those Charms from the game and you're good to go.

Don't feel bad. People tell the developers they get Exalted wrong all the time. -hippokrene

Comment

• Becoming the omnicrafter who has no theme to their crafting and simply makes anything they feel like becomes infinitely easier. Certain Solar charms intended to highlight their phenomenal capabilities in contrast to others without those capabilities become unimpressive or useless. There arises massively less narrative value in having more than one person with Craft ability. But, since it's mostly just a savings of Solar XP, it probably doesn't break the game in and of itself;. Works out to a 16xp savings per area of Craft. You might consider requiring Artifacts as a standalone purchase to make it less of a gimme default.

Comment

• What breaks if I reduce the initiative crash bonus from 5 to 2 or 3? I feel like right now, combat is basically "race to the crash", with one happening in the first round or second round of combat, and then combat is over because the other side gets oneshot. Would reducing the initiative crash bonus help this?

Comment

• I have the feeling it would mostly result in beating on a crashed opponent an extra round or two when they can't use any Perilous defenses, then decisive attacking anyway.

I mean, "push your opponent into crash and then finish them" is kind of the core component of the 3e combat engine, at least vs any enemy who isn't adequately protected against such (ridiculous soak or DVs, massive initiative start from join battle)

To put it another way; players in general, I think, prefer a decisive blow over a death of a thousand cuts. Give me the option of landing one attack for seven levels of damage vs seven attacks for one level apiece, and the former feels better. On the other hand, they prefer being subjected to the latter; dying in one hit sucks and feels like arbitrary dice luck no matter how foregone a conclusion it was, but having had the option to escape, deciding not to, and dying to a dozen attacks, generally people can go "yeah, that was my fault, I own that death".

Which is why I suggest to STs on this site, generally save up a couple dice from one or two withering, and deliver a decisive. Nick and scratch your players and they'll feel like the battle was hard fought and won, where they won't feel that if the enemy died while stockpiling the 21 initiative expected to one shot them.

May I ask the specific reason you want them to not save and strike?
                                Last edited by Meianno Yuurei; 09-06-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X