Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Breaks If......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    Alright. Fine. What about a mass stabilization event? You have an entire battlefield of bleeding and dying soldiers, and this charm lets you staunch their bleeding and give you one day to solve their problems, whether poison, bleeding, or disease.
    That'd be fine (even if it's Indefinite).

    Solar Medicine works by you treating the patient. You can cure plague by treating the patient with drinking water and a rag, but you still have to treat the patient.

    A Charm that "just heals people" is outside of Solar scope. A Charm that gives you time to heal people is thematically fine just like a Charm that lets you heal folks quickly or without medicines.

    A Solar should absolutely be able to turn up to a freeway pile-up, roll up her sleeves and blaze totemic with a "nobody dies today!" and make it true by the sweat on her brow as she moves from car-to-car, pulling limbs straight as bones knit together, performing CPR by striking the heart chakra once and stitching wounds by passing her hand over them, all the while the dying people just... don't die, lingering at death's door until she can reach them. (Maybe she even has moma bear moments where she rips cars apart with her bare-hands to free trapped patients (Shattering Grasp).) But even if just spending a few seconds with each patient, you still need to treat each patient.

    You can't just treat "a city" or "an army" as one big organism. (An Infernal might be able to.) And you can't just gesture at a pile-up and magically heal everyone.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM.


    Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      I think it's in-theme for an Essence 5 charm but it's going to have to be something extremely Obvious, like a giant healing saint-like glow. Maybe requiring 3 anima levels to be burnt, or it automatically makes you flare iconically, or something like that. Not just wave your hands.
      Aren't you the guy that replied to me about the 'lone supernatural in the modern world'?

      Remember the car pileup idea? Yes, of course its Obvious. Its Essence 5. Its a thing of legend, where the sun shines in the darkness and, for a moment, death is pushed on a grand scale. A pillar of light, rising into the heavens.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
        That'd be fine (even if it's Indefinite).

        Solar Medicine works by you treating the patient. You can cure plague by treating the patient with drinking water and a rag, but you still have to treat the patient.

        A Charm that "just heals people" is outside of Solar scope. A Charm that gives you time to heal people is thematically fine just like a Charm that lets you heal folks quickly or without medicines.

        A Solar should absolutely be able to turn up to a freeway pile-up, roll up her sleeves and blaze totemic with a "nobody dies today!" and make it true by the sweat on her brow as she moves from car to car, pulling limbs straight as bones knit together, performing CPR by striking the heart chakra once and stitching wounds by passing her hand over them, all the while the dying people just... don't die, lingering at deaths door until she can reach them. But even if just spending a few seconds with each patient, you still need to treat each patient.

        You can't just treat "a city" or "an army" as one big organism. (An Infernal might be able to.) And you can't just gesture at a pile-up and magically heal everyone.
        Can I have it so that she flares massively bonfire, and where the light touches, wounds stop bleeding and those patients with illness or poison seem to relax, as their symptoms abate for just a day?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Can I have it so that she flares massively bonfire, and where the light touches, wounds stop bleeding and those patients with illness or poison seem to relax, as their symptoms abate for just a day?
          You "can" do whatever you want. I am a random nobody, my opinion isn't worth anymore than yours.

          I like the concept. I would probably do things slightly differently but I don't think it breaks anything.


          Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

          Comment


          • It's not that I don't think your opinion matters. It's that it doesnt jive with what I see. I mean, look at craftsman needs no tools. The materials just assemble themselves into it either by hand, breathe, or voice.

            If a solar can become so good a craftsman that he can work materials without touching it, a solar can become so good a doctor he can heal people without touching the patient.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
              It's not that I don't think your opinion matters. It's that it doesnt jive with what I see. I mean, look at craftsman needs no tools. The materials just assemble themselves into it either by hand, breathe, or voice.

              If a solar can become so good a craftsman that he can work materials without touching it, a solar can become so good a doctor he can heal people without touching the patient.
              Ah but the Solar still has to work the materials. They don't assemble themselves whilst she sits and does a crossword. You need to use your action. You need project slots. You need to concentrate on what you're doing. It's still based on your ability to craft.

              If you wanted a Charm where you sing people to good health, I could see that (Deebs have one). I could see a Solar doctor who literally gives their patients the breath of life, or who kisses broken bones better. I even don't have a problem with a Solar using homeopathy that actually works. But at the end of the day, it's grounded in the Solar acting -- using her medical skill to heal the patient.

              The Medicine Charms in the corebook are "at the peak of their power": they can treat a patient in seconds and with just touches, but "Her efforts still must be efficacious and logical", and the Charms still hinge on the Solar using her effort (turn) and skill (ability roll). The one Charm in Miracles is also worth a look.

              (And, to be clear, I only objected to mass heal. Mass stabilisation is fine -- very in-theme.)

              But we're straying from the idea of "what breaks if" now.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-10-2019, 05:51 PM.


              Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

              Comment

              Working...
              X