No announcement yet.

What Breaks If......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah the internal balance is also a bit wonky. Compared to the Essence 3 Hungry Tiger Technique which can only be used on crashed targets, only gives you bonus damage equal to your overflow successes, and only stacks linearly with other forms of decisive damage adders, you could probably even put it at Essence 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      Yeah the internal balance is also a bit wonky. Compared to the Essence 3 Hungry Tiger Technique which can only be used on crashed targets, only gives you bonus damage equal to your overflow successes, and only stacks linearly with other forms of decisive damage adders, you could probably even put it at Essence 3.
      I was thinking Essence 3 is a lot because it's at the same Essence that Dragon Blooded got their Brawl signature Charm that has basically the same effect, and logically Solars access effects at a lower Essence level that Solars, but I'm not sure my reasoning makes sense

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post

I was thinking Essence 3 is a lot because it's at the same Essence that Dragon Blooded got their Brawl signature Charm that has basically the same effect, and logically Solars access effects at a lower Essence level that Solars, but I'm not sure my reasoning makes sense
        Sorry, which signature charm does that? I might be missing something here...

Comment

• Oh wait, you might mean the water melee signature Roaring River Slash, where you roll damage twice and add the result together? It’s a very similar effect but the charm itself as well as it’s context in the charmset, is very different. For one it’s a simple charm, and another it expends water aura, which mean together the only melee charms that can supplement it are the excellency and the one that ignores a few points of hardness, so there just isn’t that same potential to explode. Which is good, Solars are about combining ten different effects to blow up.

Sometimes Solars and DBs get effects at the same Essence, like true flight, but they’re not always so easy to compare.

Comment

• It's also unusable by Air/

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• It's also unusable by Air/Earth/Fire/Wood aspects in bonfire, due to the Aura requirement. Even for Water aspects, being in Aura when using melee (mostly Fire-aspected) is awkward.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• True, for a water swordsman being able to straight up double decisive damage is their special awesome power to punch above their limits, but for Solars, at least with TAP as written, it’s more the sauce to go on a lethal combo that can already kill almost anything, and ensure that it does 80% of the time or more.

Comment

Oh wait, you might mean the water melee signature Roaring River Slash, where you roll damage twice and add the result together? It’s a very similar effect but the charm itself as well as it’s context in the charmset, is very different. For one it’s a simple charm, and another it expends water aura, which mean together the only melee charms that can supplement it are the excellency and the one that ignores a few points of hardness, so there just isn’t that same potential to explode. Which is good, Solars are about combining ten different effects to blow up.

Sometimes Solars and DBs get effects at the same Essence, like true flight, but they’re not always so easy to compare.
                  Yeah sorry I read it a long time ago and kept the idea of double damage but without context or details. Maybe putting TAP Essence 3 might be good for me then if my next table goes for it

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post

Yeah sorry I read it a long time ago and kept the idea of double damage but without context or details. Maybe putting TAP Essence 3 might be good for me then if my next table goes for it
                    Yeah, and if your group isn’t currently having a problem with it, like they’re not way overdoing it Essence 2 might just be fine anyway, I just think that even at 3 it’s balanced. Plus that was an athletics Supernal can do some really powerful combat thing right off the bat that sets him apart, while making the combat Supernal still better.

Comment

What breaks if I make Thunderbolt Attack Prana into a simple charm that keeps all the text is has now, except it lets you make an attack with any other close ranged ability, rather than supplementing an existing one.

It mostly comes from my problem that most other effects seem pretty balanced from the standpoint of big epic effect costs big epic motes and willpower, and even then you approach a limit, but especially when supplementing Simple type charms like Heaven Sword Flash or Invincible Fury of the Dawn I find it just pushes it too far, especially for the relatively low cost.
                      Could you use Supplemental Charms from the Combat Ability used to make the attack?

Just read the text. Yeah, looks fine.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• ...I ditch Solar XP split and just give a flat ~8 xp per session?

...I ditch XP altogether and grant Bonus Points instead? Say ~2 per session.

Comment

• Solar exp exists to incentivize players to buy other things than Charms. Charms are such an incredibly superior investment that the devs literally had to create a separate exp that allows everything except Charms to get players to spend their exp on other things.

So the worst case is your players will no longer buy anything but Charms.

Using BP instead of exp should work fine, I think several people here do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
                            ...I ditch Solar XP split and just give a flat ~8 xp per session?

...I ditch XP altogether and grant Bonus Points instead? Say ~2 per session.
                            Solar XP is a really good incentive to round out your basic stats instead of buying more "kill things" Charms. The expression bonuses encourage roleplay and interesting group dynamics. I'd be more inclined to award Solar XP to the whole party than ace it entirely. What are you trying to achieve?

I've awarded BP instead of XP on a 1-to-1 basis for years. Works great. Halving the rate should work fine too -- reasonably balanced characters should grow at roughly the same rate as if you were using XP. The reason I go 1:1 is because Charms are grotesquely overcosted in BP, meaning PCs who go heavy into Charms will lag in development compared to if they were earning XP. And also it fixes fractional problems with abilities that cost XP and don't have a BP cost.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                              What are you trying to achieve?
                              Simplicity, mostly.

Comment

• I got a headcanon. But...

What breaks if I make it so that Old Realm can be understood instinctively by anyone who hears or reads it?

Comment

Working...
                                X