No announcement yet.

What Breaks If......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To clear any confusion, Devs have stated it stacks.
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    It stacks with armor. The "counts as medium armor" is for purposes of things that aren't compatible with armor, like Diamond-Body Prana.

Comment

• Yeah ok I'll go with the bonus hp as discussed then. Thanks for help ! Btw any suggestion as to how many -0 health level would be good given what I intend to do ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
        Why would Invincible God-Metal Flash get lamer ?
        Say the spell gives 3 -0 HL. Activating God-Metal Flash now makes you lose 3HL in order to get (Essence +5) damage reduction, meaning God-Metal Flash now provides 3 less DR total.

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
        Yeah ok I'll go with the bonus hp as discussed then. Thanks for help ! Btw any suggestion as to how many -0 health level would be good given what I intend to do ?
        Health levels is a very different benefit from Soak and Hardness, there's not really a 1:1 conversion you can make, but I figure 3 would be a safe bet.

Another idea to change the spell could be to make the soak not stack with Stamina as prncss suggested, and in return make the 6 soak/hardness of ISOB ignore effects that bypass soak/hardness, so it doesn't just replace natural soak but actually makes it better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
          Say the spell gives 3 -0 HL. Activating God-Metal Flash now makes you lose 3HL in order to get (Essence +5) damage reduction, meaning God-Metal Flash now provides 3 less DR total.

Health levels is a very different benefit from Soak and Hardness, there's not really a 1:1 conversion you can make, but I figure 3 would be a safe bet.

Another idea to change the spell could be to make the soak not stack with Stamina as prncss suggested, and in return make the 6 soak/hardness of ISOB ignore effects that bypass soak/hardness, so it doesn't just replace natural soak but actually makes it better.
          I'll try the soak version, but if I feel my players uncomfortable with the "nerf" I'll sitch to the health version.

Yeah ok I get it for God Metal Flash, I'll think of a solution that makes sense. Thanks for the common sense

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• ... If you applied half your soak to successes on Withering damage rolls, instead of reducing the number of dice before rolling?

Comment

• Certain Charms add or reduce damage after soak, so those would need to be adjusted bare minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
                ... If you applied half your soak to successes on Withering damage rolls, instead of reducing the number of dice before rolling?
                Assuming this gets rid of overwhelming, high soak becomes incredibly powerful.

Things that trigger off of taking no damage get either a boost or a penalty, depending on specifics.

The probability curve of damage gets a lot wider, since more dice are being rolled

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
                  ... If you applied half your soak to successes on Withering damage rolls, instead of reducing the number of dice before rolling?
                  autXautY's analysis is spot on, but here's a thing that will let you play with numbers to see exactly what the difference would be.
                  https://anydice.com/program/189d0

Comment

• What breaks if... You downgrade the Deathlords to powerful ghosts who have Underworld domains and replace the incursions into Creation by the Abyssals under the direct command of the Neverborn?

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
                      What breaks if... You downgrade the Deathlords to powerful ghosts who have Underworld domains and replace the incursions into Creation by the Abyssals under the direct command of the Neverborn?
                      The deathlords things where they've got every single charm?

Really frickin' stupid.

Now, Neverborn giving commands? What are they like? Remember, these are huge titan things, dreaming and dying, yet living on at the same time, filled to the brim with insanity-destroying nightmares.

Comment

What breaks if... You downgrade the Deathlords to powerful ghosts who have Underworld domains and replace the incursions into Creation by the Abyssals under the direct command of the Neverborn?
                        Must say I'm not against the idea. When I discovered Exalted 3e (So I had 0 knowledge of Exalted lore) and read the chapter about the Dead and Underworld, i didn't understand a single thing about who was in charge and that left me very confused. Apparently the dead huge guys succesfully stole the soul of the guy that killed them and made them into overlord that can now create sub-overlord guyz that are supposed to oppose the Solar guys that killed their master in the first place ?

I really prefer your idea. There are neverborn, which are dead titans, and Abyssal descends directly from the neverborn. Deathlords obeys the neverborn (or not), but are just powerful ghost ennemies. Much clearer to me.

As a note : I still don't know exactly what is the relationship between Neverborn, Deathlords and Abyssals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post

As a note : I still don't know exactly what is the relationship between Neverborn, Deathlords and Abyssals.
                          Urm... do you want me to explain it? Its a bit long and convoluted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                            Its a bit long and convoluted.
                            Hardly.

The Neverborn are the dead titans; they can’t really do much, as dead gods experiencing constant agony.

The Deathlords are the restless ghosts of Exalted killed around the Usurpation, peerless necromancers who rule patches of the Underworld. They are more powerful than bog standard ghosts, even the ghosts of Exalts, but how exactly they came to that power hasn’t been rigorously explained in this edition (nor do I think it should be).

In previous editions, they were given power by the Neverborn in exchange for serving the Neverborn’s desire to destroy Creation, but this time around it could very well be that they stole said power with unknown rituals, or were imbued with it with no conditions by desperate dead titans, or maybe traded strange and terrible things for their unusual potency. Maybe different ones seized their power in different ways; maybe there’s still some to be seized yet, for one who would seek it.

The Deathlords corrupted some of the divine fire that fills the Sun’s Chosen, giving rise to the Abyssal Exalted, to whom the Deathlords serve as mentors, vassals, and benefactors.

Let me provide an example from what I played in 2e that I feel will need only minimal adjustment for Ex3:
                            I once played an Abyssal called Son-of-Void Dragon. He was once a mortal prince and a warlord whose enemies received aid from beyond the grave, allowing them to capture him and sentence him to a death by beheading.

As the headman’s blade descended, the prince defiantly raised his eyes to meet the gaze of each of his enemies, when he saw a figure among them that hadn’t been there a moment ago, a ghostly giant wearing a mask of ice. Time itself seemed to freeze as the Mask of Winters judged him. The prince felt a splinter of cold on the back of his neck - was it the bite of steel, or the ghost-king’s touch?

“I can grant you the power to take glorious, terrible vengeance on your betrayers, if you will serve me after.”

The prince said no word, but his decision was made. The blade sliced cleanly through his neck, but the parted flesh had come together again, cleanly, leaving no scar.

The headman tried to yank his blade free, but the prisoner had seized the sword in his teeth! Surging with power, he bit down, and shattered it to pieces, bits of steel tumbling from his new fangs.

Standing, he snapped his bindings as though they were forged of paper, and turned on his enemies, tearing men and spirits alike to pieces with his bare hands, until only he and the Deathlord remained.
                            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-30-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                              Now, Neverborn giving commands? What are they like? Remember, these are huge titan things, dreaming and dying, yet living on at the same time, filled to the brim with insanity-destroying nightmares.
                              Whispers Background. In the scenario I presented each Abyssal will get one free dot in the Whispers Background (whether they want it or not).

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                              I really prefer your idea. There are neverborn, which are dead titans, and Abyssal descends directly from the neverborn. Deathlords obeys the neverborn (or not), but are just powerful ghost ennemies. Much clearer to me..
                              Thank you. The whole "Deathlords are titanic entities of the Underworld" idea has felt always felt contrived to me.

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

Nothing breaks, but it does force more of the game’s spotlight into the hands of titans defeated before the dawn of history, which is a little less interesting to me than other alternatives.

It’s the same reason I prefer to see new demons over seeing new Yozis, and the reason I was disappointed that Rick Riordan’s books kept ushering in titanomachies, instead of actually exploring a world like ours with demigods and monsters running around behind the scenes.

(Especially since there’s very little character-wise for the Neverborn as-written.)
                                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-30-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X