No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed. Can we leave that discussion to other threads? Not because I don't want to see people having it but because I'm looking forward to a thread primarily focused on Xerxes' impressions.

Comment

I'm interested in this thread. I think it'll be helpful to see something with untarnished eyes!

....hmm That sounds like a charm idea or something. Maybe for Infernals. Literally strip out the tarnish and rose tint from eyes to see the world in a clear fashion... *shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
        Indeed. Can we leave that discussion to other threads? Not because I don't want to see people having it but because I'm looking forward to a thread primarily focused on Xerxes' impressions.

Created a new thread for the two book topic.

I write things.

Comment

Oh, not Chapter 1, the Introduction. My bad.

And the credits. This 600+ page behmoth only had one editor!? In the name of all that's good and holy OP, what in the world were you thinking? Bracing for proofing and language errors. Stephen, you need a medal for going it alone with this thing. And probably a stiff drink or six.

As an aside, would it be possible to embed a zoom-to-TOC button in the PDF cover? It feels like it'll be a pain to scroll through the intro fiction every time. Maybe I just need to learn to use bookmarks.

Setting Intro
          • The setting intro is good for the most part, but feels like it forgets its writing as an introduction part-way through. After using some lovely descriptive terms, it suddenly jumps to Dragon-blooded, Sidereals and lots of Other Captialised Terms, like they Mean Something Already. They don't if you don't know the setting. The intro fiction hints at them, but it was a jarring experience to have them used like terms of art at this point. Their introduction and one-sentence explanation are there, but it's easy to miss.
          • There are bits in here that feel difficult to wrap your head around, like the Scarlet Empress using the Sidereals as advisors when they've been written out of history. It does make sense, but the pendant in me is writhing at apparent contradictions. Particularly as this is Omnipotent Narration.
          • As a side effect of this, and given the position of the Solars, it reads like the Sidereals and Dragon-blooded are idiots who are engaging in a Grand Conspiracy. I get the feeling it's more nuanced than that, but
          How to Use This Book
          • Helpful, but again, it feels like the chapter order should go 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6, 7, 8 9, in the "what's in this book" section. I desperately want to take a hacksaw to the PDF and fix it.
          How to Play This Game
          • This feels like a check-box exercise, in some ways. It misses things that those new to roleplaying as a whole won't know. There's no mention of dice (no matter how many sides), for a start. Is Exalted actually -trying- to appeal to new players?
          • What ST in their right mind would want to manage 8 PLAYERS AT ONCE, even ones that don't wield god-like power?
          • 3-8 hours sounds like a lot of time... my club's sessions generally last 3 hours at most.
          Lexicon
          • Words. Lots of well-written words.
          • Cult of the Illuminated sounds very cool.
          • Typo, p.25, Deathlords entry. "sever-al"
          • Lunars entry feels contradictory. They fear a return to servitude, but some are consorts? Some appreciation of that subtlety would be good.
          • It mentions that the Dragon-blooded exaltations don't reincarnate, but doesn't explicitly state that all Celestials' do.
          • Elemental Poles entry seems to conflict with the stuff about the Wyld - is it because the Poles get very Elemental that make the fringes of Creation difficult to live on, or the encroaching Wyld? If both, this probably needs spelling out. I have images of raw elements clashing, bubbling and simmering with the raw mutations of the Wyld, which is an image I like, but may not be supported in the text. Meh, I never liked canonicity anyway.
          • If reincarnation is a thing, why is there a big underworld? This setting wants to have its cosmic cake and eat it too...
          • Overall, this feels like a LOT to take in. There are areas where entries reference each other a great deal. While it's great to have a well-formed and interconnected world, this could encourage people to think they need to pull every setting element into the game at once. I'm not a wet-behind-the-ears enough ST to think that, but it could give that impression.
          Suggested Resources
          • There's some weird bolding going on in the Night's Master section.
          • A good and interesting list. Although a paragraph explaining of what they are (things to draw inspiration from and get ideas) could be good.
          This is a solid introduction to the setting, but relies on the reader picking up jargon quickly. It's kind of head-first into game-specific terms, with little time to digest. The setting introduction could also do with a bit less "this is the way it is" about it. Presenting it as an in-character narrative would maybe give the kind of distance it needs for readers not to immediately think that the Realm the Big Bad.

The "intro to roleplaying" feels rushed, which feels like another indicator that this book doesn't really care about supporting new people. The community for this game is great, but the book doesn't talk about that as a potential help for people who want to know more where the book doesn't help with the basics. Which reminds me of something I missed from the TOC - no "how to be a storyteller" chapter. This is definitely not a game for the inexperienced.

Hmmm... thinking more about the TOC, do DTRPG and other outlets offer the opportunity to download the TOC and examine it before purchasing? Expanding each section by a sentence could be a neat few-pages document to let people know what's in the book. Although the number of pages might scare people off, I don't know.

Will start on Chapter 1 today. Don't know if I'll get it finished within 24 hours though, as work and wife need attention too.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
            If reincarnation is a thing, why is there a big underworld? This setting wants to have its cosmic cake and eat it too...
            That's was actually explained in previous Editions, in Underworld-focused books, but they wanted the core book to focus more on Creation. Ideally, all souls would reincarnate without any exceptions, but to put it simply, Shit Went Down, and Something Done Got Stuck.

There's not a big enough plunger to unstuck the problem right now, and the Underworld is basically the backed-up water from a half-clogged drain.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Aw, cool! I'll be reading this thread for sure.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

That's was actually explained in previous Editions, in Underworld-focused books, but they wanted the core book to focus more on Creation. Ideally, all souls would reincarnate without any exceptions, but to put it simply, Shit Went Down, and Something Done Got Stuck.
                Fair enough. It's just that the overall tone of these chapters feels like it's telling you everything (albeit at a basic level), & so things like this seem like contradictions. At least a flag that the Underworld is an anomaly, or that we're not getting the whole story, would help.

Maybe I'm just too into the Unreliable Narrator as a presentation method...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Fair enough. It's just that the overall tone of these chapters feels like it's telling you everything (albeit at a basic level), & so things like this seem like contradictions. At least a flag that the Underworld is an anomaly, or that we're not getting the whole story, would help.
                  Seriously though, thanks for doing this. This is actually bringing up a lot of points, and it honestly hadn't occurred to me just how good or bad a job Ex3 might do for the uninitiated.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

And the credits. This 600+ page behmoth only had one editor!? In the name of all that's good and holy OP, what in the world were you thinking? Bracing for proofing and language errors. Stephen, you need a medal for going it alone with this thing. And probably a stiff drink or six.
                    I didn't realize there was only one editor. It explains so much and I am amazed the Ex3 Core doesn't have more errors. Stephen, you are the man!

I write things.

Comment

Well, there was one editor, and then there were a couple thousand.

Thanks, though.
                      Last edited by Stephen Lea Sheppard; 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Setting Intro
                        • Lunars entry feels contradictory. They fear a return to servitude, but some are consorts? Some appreciation of that subtlety would be good.
                        Ah, I think that you may have missed a bit there. I think it reads thusly, and might help clear this issue up for you:

Originally posted by Core
                        ... during the First Age, the Lunars were the slaves, seconds, and consorts to the Solar Exalted. Their bond to the Lawgivers has been broken, but many yet fear a return to servitude.
                        Thus, rather than now being consorts, they're afraid of a return to being consorts, slaves, and seconds of the Solars. They were once servants, but now are freed from the bond as it was at the time... admittedly, there're implications elsewhere that that is not all it will be, but I'll let you find that.

It's good to see a new perspective on the book though. Thank you for doing this!
                        Last edited by *End; 04-22-2016, 11:06 AM.

All that I write but don't cite is simply my perspective, colored by my experiences and beliefs. I extrapolate a lot, too, so don't take it too seriously. :P

Comment

Originally posted by *End View Post
                          Thus, rather than now being consorts, they're afraid of a return to being consorts, slaves, and seconds of the Solars. They were once servants, but now are freed from the bond as it was at the time... admittedly, there're implications elsewhere that that is not all it will be, but I'll let you find that.
                          My problem is the word "consort", which is more about being a spouse with official capacities attached, than being a servant. Would all the Lunars have dreaded a return to that? It feels weird. But it all might be explained in the later clarifications as to why.

Comment

My problem is the word "consort", which is more about being a spouse with official capacities attached, than being a servant. Would all the Lunars have dreaded a return to that? It feels weird. But it all might be explained in the later clarifications as to why.
                            The idea is meant to be that any given Lunar was all three at once (slave, second, consort) not that some were one and some were another. Since you're familiar with VtM: the Lunar bond functions similarly to a Blood Bond in a lot of ways, but it persists even through reincarnation and was an automatic pairing as opposed to something they were lured or tricked into. Even if a specific Lunar had a relatively unabusive mate, it's still a forced pairing they couldn't escape. I wouldn't be excited about going back to that either.

This is unfortunately one of the places in the book that the writers' (and play testers') knowledge of prior editions lead to unnoticed gaps in the provided description.

Sisyphus has it easy...

Comment

One thing in addition to what Mechalith has mentioned is that this is a very bronze-age oriented setting and gameworld. Marriage is not always an equitable and agreeable situation. It can be just as much about power and policy, even for god-kings.

Pronounced "Monkey Pie"

Find my actual play content here!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechalith View Post

The idea is meant to be that any given Lunar was all three at once (slave, second, consort) not that some were one and some were another. Since you're familiar with VtM: the Lunar bond functions similarly to a Blood Bond in a lot of ways, but it persists even through reincarnation and was an automatic pairing as opposed to something they were lured or tricked into. Even if a specific Lunar had a relatively unabusive mate, it's still a forced pairing they couldn't escape. I wouldn't be excited about going back to that either.

This is unfortunately one of the places in the book that the writers' (and play testers') knowledge of prior editions lead to unnoticed gaps in the provided description.
                                The Lunar bond may not work at all like that know, as it has no rules, and that mechanic was very unpopular.

Nevertheless, politically at least, the Lunars were very much in a secondary capacity.

I play...
                                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Working...
                                X