No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awareness is a fun charm set. Surprisingly deadly, too, once you play with it and realize you can average ~30 successes on a Join Battle roll without shenanigans. Just don't ask how much this costs and be prepared to cry a lot if you somehow don't manage to roll any 10s.

Keen Sight Technique
    If the 6m version of this charm extends the duration to indefinite, doesn't that mean that you just pay 6 motes and it's on forever? That's a little pointless without committing the motes, isn't it?
    If you refund its cost via Surprise Anticipation Method then it really is on forever, for free. It's a bit of an odd cost-structure that definitely rewards specializing a bit without overly punishing the dabbler.

Living Pulse Perception
    • Exalt senses slight disruptions in the air. But no relation to life, despite the name.
    • In an enclosed space, get 1 automatic success to Awareness rolls to detect another character, or Join Battle.
    • This is PERMANENT? Wow...
    I found your comments on this one particularly interesting, as I've seen a fair amount of complaining about how worthless this charm is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
      I found your comments on this one particularly interesting, as I've seen a fair amount of complaining about how worthless this charm is.
      Different mindset - my background in WoD, with its much lower average successes per roll, to treat autosuccesses with a little bit of awe, as they mean proportionately more. Not sure how this would translate from other system experience, though.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
        Different mindset - my background in WoD, with its much lower average successes per roll, to treat autosuccesses with a little bit of awe, as they mean proportionately more. Not sure how this would translate from other system experience, though.
        Remember that in Ex3, you can always read a Charm that says "adds a success for free" as "saves you 2m." If it's a non-Charm success, you're looking at a higher cap - but this one isn't; we're talking purely, "This Charm saves 2m on one roll in a narrow circumstance."

Which doesn't mean you can't still think it's pretty cool, but man, that opportunity cost.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Xerxes , just want to say that while this is a slower part of your readthrough, I quite like it. And only do it if you feel motivated to do so, as others have noted.

And stuff.

And stuff.
          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Irked View Post
            Remember that in Ex3, you can always read a Charm that says "adds a success for free" as "saves you 2m." If it's a non-Charm success, you're looking at a higher cap - but this one isn't; we're talking purely, "This Charm saves 2m on one roll in a narrow circumstance."

Which doesn't mean you can't still think it's pretty cool, but man, that opportunity cost.
            I wouldn't say "being in an enclosed space" is a narrow circumstance. I think every single combat of our current game has taken place somewhere it would apply, getting 1 more init on each of those rolls would definitely be worth a charm purchase.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
            Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
            Some Lintha QCs
            A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
              I wouldn't say "being in an enclosed space" is a narrow circumstance. I think every single combat of our current game has taken place somewhere it would apply, getting 1 more init on each of those rolls would definitely be worth a charm purchase.
              By contrast, in my game, I can think of... one fight where it would have been relevant, in a year-and-a-half of playing. Maybe two. Results certainly vary.

Either way, that's the context it has to be understood in - in such-and-such circumstances, save 2m.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                Awareness is a fun charm set. Surprisingly deadly, too, once you play with it and realize you can average ~30 successes on a Join Battle roll without shenanigans. Just don't ask how much this costs and be prepared to cry a lot if you somehow don't manage to roll any 10s.
                That outrageous pile of dice tricks is ABSOLUTELY a "shenanigan." Like, don't try this at a table until you've rehearsed it.

I have seen sessions slowed to a crawl by that madness more than once.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                  The problem for me with this is that while reflexive charms are generally implied to create actions (their descrition never outright says that, though), they still mostly appear to adhere to normalish rules for when/how they can happen (at least, that's my impression at this stage), so apart from the ability to act as an interrupt in the state of play & acting through unroled actions occasionally, there isn't any difference between the two types at all.
                  From what I gather it's a bit of a holdover from second edition where where had these multi step attack resolution charts. Reflexive charms let you ctivate them on step 7 instead when you first attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
                    That outrageous pile of dice tricks is ABSOLUTELY a "shenanigan." Like, don't try this at a table until you've rehearsed it.

I have seen sessions slowed to a crawl by that madness more than once.

"Oh combat? Wee! Just give me ten minutes to do all this stuff and write it down."

Comment

• Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                      "Oh combat? Wee! Just give me ten minutes to do all this stuff and write it down."
                      My favorite part is that, DBZ-style, this incredibly slow process is by way of indicating how superhumanly fast you are.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• By popular demand, charm-by-charm continues!

Brawl

Thinking about fighting, why the hell wasn't Kung Fu Hustle given as an example of Exalted martial arts in the Sources section? It's only just struck me.

Fists of Iron Technique
                        • No flavour text.
                        • Parry attacks with your bare hands. Unarmed decisive damage does lethal, unarmed withering ignores some soak when tied to an intimacy. This can be either a tie or a principle.
                        • This seems to provide some clarity on the general "Ability is fun" type intimacies, in that they are possible. Some examples of suitable ones could be good though, as the example given sounds like a summary of a Principle, rather than the full wording ("I exult in the thrill of violence" feels verrrry broad.
                        Iron Battle Focus
                        • The Solar's resolve is tougher than iron.
                        • Become immune to "further" onslaught penalties until your next action.
                        • Why would you not just activate this after your attack is over vs multiple opponents, if you have the motes to spare? Activating mid-way through opponents' actions feels a little silly.
                        Ferocious Jab
                        • Fury gives you better punches.
                        • Add a number of damage dice equal to opponent's current onslaught penalty.
                        • This feels very situational for a starting charm.
                        Wind and Stones Defence
                        • Dance around opponent's attacks, or lightly bat them away.
                        • When you're beating your opponent's Initiative, use this to raise Evasion or Parry by the foe's current Onslaught penalty.
                        • Am I missing something, and Onslaught penalties will come up in one-to-one fights? Or is this just the "I like ganging up on people" arm of Brawl charms?
                        Heaven Thunder Hammer
                        • Send Essence through your blow, making it harder.
                        • Knock an opponent prone and give up and additional Initiative. Multiple successes on the damage roll knock an opponent back and do falling damage.
                        • What is "suffer a collapse"? Sounds like it should be a system term, but I don't remember it anywhere. Unless "him" should be "it", and refer to the wall?
                        • The sidebar should probably be part of the text description, unless it has wider applicability than Heaven Thunder Hammer (not stated, but possible I guess).
                        • More clarity on the charms that even out the size odds would be good, rather than just "stuff like Nine Aeons Thew". I personally would include pretty much anything that lessens feats of strength requirements.
                        Vicious Lunge
                        • Solars can have useful bursts of violence.
                        • Get one auto-success to a grapple attack roll, and extra possibly Essence-based dice to the Initiative roll.
                        Unbreakable Grasp
                        • Wrap Essence around your limbs, making your grip harder to break.
                        • Pay motes to preserve clinch bonuses.
                        Devil-Strangling Attitude
                        • Solars are mighty and can throttle gods.
                        • Apparently all this charm does at Essence 1 is allow you to grapple things? At Essence 2+ can pay motes to get bonus rolls to combine with a charm I haven't read yet.
                        • I'm scratching my head with this charm. The base ability is "allows the Solar to roll (Strength + Brawl) to attack with a grapple gambit" That's what you roll to initiate a grapple anyway, as per p.200. Is this a roll to determine in-clinch damage? I have no idea.
                        Crashing Wave Throw
                        • The Solar throws things with the force of meteors striking the ground (shouldn't that be meteorites? [/grammar pedantry]).
                        • Boost to throw actions based on +2 per round of control given up. Can throw up to one range bad away, but at higher Essence levels can forfeit roll boosts to increase the range, which adds falling damage.
                        Thunderclap Rush Attack
                        • Aggression makes Solars faster.
                        • Can move a single range band in order to make a possibly non-brawl attack, without taking a move action and regardless of initiative order. At higher Essence levels, wp can be spent to steal initiative before the attack is made. Can be used once per target per scene, but can refresh vs a target by crashing that target.
                        • Refresh conditions feel annoying, particularly if they're used per target like this.
                        Falling Hammer Strike
                        • The Solar is as relentless as a storm.
                        • The Solar's onslaught penalties stick around, until they don't make any attacks on the target for a round.
                        • I'm mildly unsure whether the target must remain unattacked by the Solar for a round or unattacked at all for a round, but as only the Solar's penalties stick around, I guess it's only the Solar's attack that matters?
                        • This feels wonderfully meh, as Onslaught penalties from a single character can only ever amount to a-1 defence penalty. Unless it's cumulative in this case? If so, it really would help to state that.
                        Reckless Fury Discard
                        • Solar does - something that is totally unclear - by channeling her rage.
                        • Raise the Solar's defence by an amount equal to the 1s her opponent rolls.
                        • This charm is only effective because it breaks 2 general charm rules about the timing of the charm's activation and when its effect happens. While OK in itself, having something that relies on rules caveats like this in general feels like a way to confuse players.
                        Thunderclap Rush Sidebar
                        • This is in totally the wrong place. The positioning of sidebars is annoying me lots in general in this book.
                        • Wouldn't this be better to clarify in the text of the charm itself? In fact, that can go for a few sidebars in general. I'll probably find more as I read.
                        Solar Cross-Counter
                        • Solar does sneaky counterattack.
                        • After taking withering damage, make an immediate decisive attack with a base damage of the amount of withering damage sustained. This does not reset initiative, and may be done even if the Solar has made an attack this turn.
                        • I assume this activates after the initiative damage happens? If not then Perilous is probably meaningless in this charm.
                        Ox-Stunning Blow
                        • Solar does possibly contradictory things with her Essence in order to make a precise strike.
                        • Get one automatic withering success, and Essence bonus damage dice. Any Initiative so stripped is rolled (again? when was it rolled to start with) as dice, and for every 2 successes, the target gets a -1 penalty to defence and dice until the onslaught penalty wears off.
                        • But I thought you only got onslaught penalties from multiple opponents? Does a fighter in one-on-one combat technically generate an onslaught penalty that wears off every round? That seems hella complicated.
                        Burning Fist Burial
                        • Solar's fists burn people they hit internally.
                        • Spend motes to add extra dice to a decisive damage roll.
                        • Again, the wording made me think "isn't this what the attack does without charms?" The wording sounds like the successes from a decisive attack roll don't automatically flow through into the damage roll, which they do.
                        Force-Rending Strike
                        • The Exalt can see auras and act precognitively to match attacks.
                        • Make a reflexive clash attack against an incoming decisive attack, which doesn't count as your combat action.
                        • Nice defensive power, too expensive to do much else with. Disappointed, possibly because I'm wondering if a clash-based charm build is possible for a combat character.
                        Blade-Rebuking Wrath
                        • Flavourish text.
                        • May clash either kind of attack that disarms your opponent. How far away it goes depends on the number of successes rolled.
                        Sledgehammer Fist Punch
                        • Anima focuses around your fist, making it hit hard against an object.
                        • This is object-only, and adds automatic successes to damage rolls relating to them.

An Example of Falling Hammer Strike
                        • Typical sidebar positioning fail. This is actually the worst thing about the book from a reading perspective.
                        • It IS cumulative! Why wasn't this in the rules text!?
                        Oak-Curling Clinch
                        • Exalted channels Essence into limbs. I know that's basically the flavour text for all brawl charms, but that's what it says.
                        • Convert extra successes on the attack roll into bonus dice for the control roll.
                        • Is this 2m/die, or 2m for all of them to be converted? The cost makes me think it's per die, but it doesn't specify.
                        Burning Proof of Authority
                        • Brand your opponents with your multicoloured anima, to tell them they've been pwned. Flavour and system text mixed.
                        • During a clinch, brand your opponent, knocking them prone. Whenever the target is in close range of the Solar, they may be reflexively pulled back into the clinch, for a number of rounds equal to the successes remaining on the original clinch. This lasts a scene.
                        • Why would you use this charm? The only time I can see is "do this for us or I can immediately throttle you" type threats, but otherwise why not just carry on grappling the opponent there and then? I originally saw it as an awesome "prison warden" power, but it only lasts a scene.
                        Hammer on Iron Technique
                        • Become a non-real, windmill-like killing machine. Wow, someone needs to help some of these writers with the flavour texts...
                        • Make multiple decisive attacks by splitting your current initiative. These all do damage equal to the highest-scoring attack, post-split. This technically adds initiative for damage purposes only. Also, each attack adds more damage equal to the number of 10s rolled on the previous damage roll.
                        • I think I explained that really badly.
                        One With Violence
                        • Meditate in a brawly way that's not at all like that wussy normal meditating, and act like a natural disaster.
                        • Get Essence-based bonuses to the initiative break bonus.
                        • In writing this, I realised that "initiative break" and "initiative crash" are the same thing. Why two different names? It's simple enough to understand, but it's just a tiny bit more to process.
                        Dancing With Strife Technique
                        • The Solar "feels the beat" of death and loves it, busting some awesome moves.
                        • Once per scene, get willpower back after successfully defending against a particularly high attack. Reset by defending against a withering attack with only 1 initiative remaining.
                        • It feels weird to have a zero-cost reflexive charm, but as it's an activated charm I can see why it's not a permanent.
                        Knockout Blow
                        • Solar sees the perfect moment to strike and takes it, pushing with Essence at just the right time.
                        • Double 9s withering attack. If opponent crashes, they pass out. Spend initiative and more motes to add damage to this roll.
                        • A decisive attack that's not a decisive attack. Cool!
                        • See, book, this is how you do worked examples of a charm! Right after the rules text! Not in a sidebar a page and a half away!
                        Cancel the Apocalypse
                        • Rip out your opponent's anima, denying them the possibility of victory.
                        • Deactivate selected martial charms when you crash an opponent.
                        • What on earth is with this name?
                        • Can you use this charm to destroy/disrupt Essence-using objects? If there is an Essence-powered Dr Strangelove-esque Doomsday Device that can be deactivated with it, the charm may actually bear some remote relation to its name.
                        Adamantine Fists of Battle
                        • Deal shattering blows with unbreakable fists.
                        • Get Strength-based additions to the attack's Overwhelming value. Decisive attacks inflict lethal, has double 10s and rerolls 10s. On this tick, can parry attacks with bare hands without a stunt. Repurchase to get a Simple version of this charm that lasts a scene.
                        • The "without a stunt" text makes me think I missed something about Fists of Iron that does require a stunt? Or is it possible to parry attacks with hands using a stunt normally, rendering FoI pretty much pointless? I get that these are on different tree branches, but the amount of overlap this has, and the wording, makes me wonder about things too much.
                        Intercepting Fury Smite
                        • Solar is fantastically good at violence.
                        • Enhance Force-Rending Strike to cost less when using improvised weapons.
                        Fire-Eating Fist
                        • The Solar's enemy's own force guides her riposte.
                        • Any 1s rolled by the opponent convert to automatic successes for the Solar during a clash attack. Energy attacks dissolve and become bonus attack and damage dice on her next attack. Doing something weird out of range reduces the cost of Force-Rending Strike, somehow. The Exalt may clash away ranged attacks. This can combine with clash martial arts. Becomes stackable at high Essence.
                        • What on earth are energy attacks and bolts and stuff? They've not been mentioned anywhere else up to now, and suddenly they're a distinct kind of attack. I assume they come from stuff I haven't read yet, but the way it's written sounds like I should already know what they are. I really don't.
                        • "twelve bonus damage worth of pain"? You're a rulebook, not someone recounting an anecdote down the pub.
                        • Mentioning that you can clash bolts that come "out of range of the Solar's fists" before mentioning that the charm can be used to clash ranged attacks was super unhelpful.
                        River-Binding Wrath
                        • The Solar jumps through her anima to grab things.
                        • Enhances a grapple, allowing rerolling of 5s and 6s until they stop appearing on various rolls. Pay more for this to apply to more rolls.
                        Wicked Dissolve Dust
                        • Solar brings a shield out of nowhere.
                        • When clinching an opponent, can pull the opponent between the Solar and any incoming decisive damage through a clash attack. This transfers the damage to who she's holding.
                        • What does this charm's name have to do with what it does?
                        Rapturous Cradle
                        • Reach through heaven to find the person you marked.
                        • Pull a marked character back to you from Long Range. Captive does not travel the distance, but teleports.
                        Dragon Coil Technique
                        • Solar gives a death-hug.
                        • Solar gets Essence automatic successes to land a grapple attack, and treats opponent's 10s as her own single successes. Attacks get Essence bonus damage. Can apparently use the charm to defend against a hostile grapple, and can thereby gain control of the grapple rather than escaping. Can grapple large things. But not all of them, as per an arbitrary line of some sort. Grapping one of these bigger big things will result in chunks coming out of it, rather than getting a full grapple.
                        • Why wasn't the defence against a hostile grapple mentioned in the beginning? That's a huge and very useful effect.
                        Ten Calamities Technique
                        • Solar uses a "ruinous" hold to force her target into submission.
                        • Enables signature grappling move. Savaging damage increases for each consecutive round the character does damage. Decisive attacks with this charm ignore hardness.
                        Titan-Straightening Method
                        • Exalt shakes a clinched opponent like a dog worrying a rag.
                        • Forgoes all future clinch turns of control to make an equal number of savaging attacks. Enhances Dragon Coil Technique to allow grappling of bigger opponents, but no lifting, throwing or slamming.
                        • Is "hurl" a system word? If not, this should be changed to the system word.
                        Shockwave Technique
                        • Solar flings an opponent at others.
                        • Once per combat, when throwing an opponent at other, damage is enhanced. Can throw through intermediary targets, doing the same damage to them. This is less awesome if you're crashed. Range can be enhanced with the use of Crashing Wave Throw. Resets after doing 10+ levels of decisive damage with a brawl attack.
                        • What happens if this attack is used on a battle group? It should logically be the best situation to use it, but as per the rules it's technically impossible to do so.
                        Lightning Strikes Twice
                        • After throwing an opponent, the Solar follows up to smash into them mid-air.
                        • May reflexively draw a weapon to do this. Initiative does not reset from the first attack until after this attack is completed. Different rules for different kinds of prior charms. One enforces a grapple attack, the other allows a strike before they hit the scenery. Use once per combat, reset by gaining 10+ initiative on a single tick.
                        • I assume the charm expects that you will get enough initiative from this charm alone to reset it. Otherwise, how is "chaining multiple uses of this charm" possible? Also, how is it possible anyway? It's not stackable. Or is the multiple uses thing supposed to be over successes turns?
                        Fivefold Fury Onslaught
                        • No flavour text!
                        • Upgrades Hammer on Iron Technique to make multiple attacks at (strength/stamina +1) attacks, and adding successively higher bonus damage to each such attack.
                        Striving Aftershock Method
                        • Solar pushes Essence into her limbs, putting her in the perfect position for the next attack.
                        • Bonus to base initiative after a it resets following a successful decisive attack.
                        Superior Violent Knowledge
                        • Watch the battle unfold in your head.
                        • Store up initiative to be cashed in during a decisive attack at any point, even when crashed. Does not affect initiative order on the turn it's used, but does impact subsequent rounds. Stored initiative cannot be stripped with withering attacks.
                        Inevitable Victory Meditation
                        • Examines the battle for the most efficient use of violence.
                        • Roll Wits + Brawl, note number of successes and substitute it for a brawl roll at any point in the combat. Becomes reflexive if you beat everyone in a Join Battle roll, or if she knocks an opponent prone.
                        • Feels far more useful than its prerequisite.
                        Incarnated Fury Attack
                        • Solar channels energy from her anima into her fists and hits with it.
                        • Unblockable, undodgeable withering attack with double 7s on damage. Anima must be at bonfire level, resets to dim after the attack completes.
                        • It feels really weird to call a withering attack, which represents a glancing blow or near miss, as "unblockable and undodgeable". It only makes sense in system jargon.
                        Orichalcum Fists of Battle
                        • Pull anima down into your fists (again!).
                        • When using scene-long Adamantine Fists of Battle, decisive attacks ignore hardness, base initiative increases by 1.When at base initiative or lower, get Essence-based bonus dice, and cascading reroll 1s and 10s. Costs motes to maintain. Fists glow white and caste mark shines and cannot be muted.
                        • Yay! Description text that sounds like it actually is system text! If only this could have been done for... many of the previous charms, particularly Athletics ones?
                        Raging Wrath Repeated
                        • Essence is "redoubled" when a Solar breaks an opponent with her bare hands.
                        • May reset clinch actions to the maximum number of control rounds rolled for the initial grapple if she crashes the clinched opponent.
                        • Great. More book-keeping, this time potentially for every grapple initiated by the Solar. Just what everyone needed. Would have been far easier if it was just "make a fresh roll to establish control".
                        Rampage-Berserker Attack
                        • Shatter people's bodies by hitting them.
                        • Instead of using extra withering successes for damage, each extra success repeats the base damage of the attack.
                        • Is this raw damage or post-soak damage? Does that matter? I'm not sure to either of those questions. Actually, shouldn't it be the same anyway, as Soak is a static value applied to every damage roll? Nevermind, ignore me.
                        Supremacy of War Meditation
                        • No flavour text.
                        • Once per ascent to iconic anima, get a free full brawl excellency. Resets whenever anima goes to dim level.
                        • Can you even get a free partial excellency?
                        • Also, is there a reason why the top level of anima is both bonfire and iconic? Seeing it written like that, particularly when some charms reference bonfire level, I had to check if they were the same thing.
                        Apocalypse Flare Attack
                        • Reach down into Essence, and draw out highly pressurised stuff that burns in your hands. Hurl this an an opponent.
                        • Strike an opponent you can perceive, at any range, Base damage is in some way determined by damage "gathered" by Fire-Eating Fist. Can pump levels of anima into this for additional successes and additional damage. Attack does not reset to base initiative.
                        • Serious blurring of flavour and system text.
                        • Combine with Eye of the Unconquered Sun for deployment of Tactical Solar Nuke on anyone anywhere up to long range. The attack just said it could be on "a foe she can perceive", it didn't say anything about being within actual line of sight, or things as trivial as solid walls getting in the way.
                        • I know this doesn't need to aim (thank you sidebar that's 23 pages away), but do you need to roll to hit with this ranged attack? If so, what do you use? It's not specified here.
                        • The Fire Eating Fist synergy feels incredibly situational. Unless I'm missing something and you can explicitly time any attack to be a clash attack? In which case I ask again, why isn't an explict clash-attack build a thing in Exalted?
                        Heaven Fury Smite
                        • Opponent hits an opponent who is almost dead anyway with a souped-up decisive attack.
                        • Allows Solar to make a decisive attack after driving opponent into a crash, with any relevant ability.
                        • Serious flavour-crunch blurring! Again! In a way that explicitly references system terminology! After having told players never to do that exact thing! Hypocritical rulebook!
                        Ascendant Battle Visage
                        • Merge with your anima to become divine anger. Or Storm from X-Men, I'm not sure which. Really cool description, which I probably shouldn't mock, but couldn't resist.
                        • May rush with double 7s, with Strength instead of Dexterity, and may move 2 range bands to approach. May clash any attack as her combat action, and instantly flashes to close range with any attack that she clashes. Cannot be crashed unless it's from close range. May activate Orichalcum Fists of Battle reflexively with this charm at reduced cost. And may store damage with Fire-Eating Fist. Anima is constantly at glowing, and may not rise to iconic or fall to dim while this charm is active.
                        • This charm makes me think I don't understand anima costs. If it costs 3 anima, it can only be activated at bonfire level. But it doesn't actually cost the 3a as listed, as the banner explicitly doesn't rise to iconic (implying it can activate below that level) or drop to dim while it's active. So why does it have an anima cost? And where does the anima drop for activating he charm actually stop? It would be easier to state it than leave it vague and implied as it is here.
                        Brawl has half made me realise why there's a blur between system and descriptive language here - because pure flavour text gets so boring after a while. There were so many similar descriptions of attack here that do different things system-wise. It also feels like there is definite flavour to the early stages of each Brawl branch, which blurs to nothing as things get more powerful. And it's hard to tell which branch is which because of the terrible charm ordering and the lack of a flow diagram showing everything.

Next up, Bureaucracy finally gets something to do!

Last edited by Xerxes; 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM. Reason: Changing spacing weirdness

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Falling Hammer Strike + Ferocious Jab = combo.

Also you don't add extra successes to decisive damage normally. Which makes charms that let you do that very useful to combine with the spam attacks because on their own they don't get you a massive benefit vs a single opponent.
                          Last edited by Elfive; 05-14-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Just to clarify a few rule points that you mentionned while commenting the charms :
                            On onslaught Penalties
                            Originally posted by Ex3 Core p.194
                            Finally, there is a special kind of penalty that Defense ratings commonly suffer, known as an onslaught penalty. Every time an opponent attacks a character, that haracter suffers a cumulative -1 Defense penalty until his next turn. As a result, even mighty heroes should be wary of facing too many opponents all at once.
                            It's important to note that the Onslaught Penalty is only lifted at the start of the character's next turn, not the start of the round. So in a One on One scenario, say Johnny McGutstabber went first on Turn 1 and Lucy Facefister went second with a Withering attack that puts her back on top of the Initiative pile, then Lucy gets to act first on Turn 2 and take advantage of the onslaught penalty she inflicted on Johnny. Brawl charms basically let you get these penalties to stick around longer than they should, and stack them up by beating on the same dude repeatedly.

On Threshold Successes on Decisive Attacks and wether they transfer to damage naturally :
                            Originally posted by Ex3 Core p.191
                            Step Two: If attack is successful, roll your current Initiative value as a dice pool. The Double 10s rule (p. 183) does not apply to this roll. [Something about Hardness] ; proceed to Step Four.
                            From this it's pretty clear that theshold successes do not get added to the damage pool of a decisive attack. Burning Fist Burial lets you pay motes to do so. Another Brawl build encourages multiple Decisive attacks from Base Initiative, and this charm helps boost the damage of such attacks quite nicely.

What I do take away from all this is that it's hard to keep track of all these rules, and maybe the amount of information coupled with the not-so-well organised-in-some-places text might cause some problems.

I'm quite anxious to see the ST screen, hopefully it will help a bit with that.
                            Last edited by HerrTenko; 05-14-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Combat charms can be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but once you get all the pieces in place you can do some crazy stuff.

Comment

• FYI Xerxes, Brawl is the 2nd largest Charm tree in the game (48 Charms), behind the Ability That Shall Not Be Named, so the rest should be easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X