No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread went in a weird direction. Especially for someone who hasn't played Magic since Fallen Empires was the new hot shit.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• I mean, Gideon is more or less a Zenith already, so it's a pretty close fit.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
        This thread went in a weird direction. Especially for someone who hasn't played Magic since Fallen Empires was the new hot shit.
        That's a good point... Urza is totally a Craft Supernal Twilight.

I wil get back to reviwing when I'm not at a Queen musical, I promise!

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• I never did play much magic. I was really bad at it.

Comment

• I loved Mirrodin and Ravenica. Artifacts are awesome and I like the multicolored guilds.

I just wish they had those cards in the online MTG games.

Also, CNNT has a subtle point about its cost. The normal 6m cost is avove the 5m threshold for peripheral essence to add to your anima banner. The 4m cost with tools is below the threshold.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
              Also, CNNT has a subtle point about its cost. The normal 6m cost is avove the 5m threshold for peripheral essence to add to your anima banner. The 4m cost with tools is below the threshold.
              It also has the Mute Keyword, so it doesn't add to your anima unless you want it to.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• I dunno what you guys are talking about, New Phyrexia is the best thing that ever happened to Mirrodin.

Anyway, I've got a whole farm of beef with Craft. But from the sounds of things you have fairly minor issues, which you could probably fix by rephrasing the basic objectives. So here's my suggestion...

10. Replace the "When finishing your project upholds, furthers, or protects one of your character’s Intimacies" objective with "When finishing your project involves roleplaying your character in an entertaining and appropriate way".

11. Replace the "When finishing your project produces a clear in-game gain for your character" objective with "When finishing your project moves the story forward or opens up interesting possibilities for future play".

12. Replace the "When finishing your project causes another character to gain or strengthen an Intimacy toward you" with "When finishing your project provides character development to another character or illustrates an interesting detail of the setting".
                That should shut down the shenanigans style of craft xp generation while keeping the interesting style.

Worth mentioning that that named arrow from earlier in this thread satisfies all three of the new basic objectives, but might not satisfy any of the old ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
                  I dunno what you guys are talking about, New Phyrexia is the best thing that ever happened to Mirrodin.
                  I have nothing more to say to you, Good Sir. :P

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Mirrodin was my first block and was a lot of fun, but I was mostly playing with friends in high school at the time.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                    God damn Mirrodin, the block where there were two kinds of deck. Arcbound ravager and things that were designed to kill ravager.
                    To be fair, it was mostly the fault of artifact affinity and 0 cost artifacts. Without tons of cheap artifacts there would have been more diversity.
                    Last edited by Kyeudo; 05-19-2016, 07:02 PM.

Masters of the Industrial Elements
                    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                    The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

• Ah, Magic, one of the first competitive things I was super good at. I used to clean up my local (what was at the time called Type 1.5) scene with a brutal Goblin sleigh deck. People would run a ton of sideboard hate just to put a damper on me, personally.

Comment

• Repairing and Reforging

Shattering Grasp
                        • Know the nature of stuff to more easily break it apart.
                        • Solar may break things down as a craft project using her bare hands.
                        • This feels like a sub-ability of CNNT, but for destruction rather than creation. Is there anything actually stopping Exalts using CNNT like this charm, or Shattering Grasp in a non-project action? I can see these being really quite useful in certain situations, although unless the Exalt is involved in a siege I imagine that getting portcullis down as a Major project would be too long to wait.
                        On Point Generating Charms Sidebar
                        • This should have been on the previous page. I can almost forgive that because of cool artwork, though.
                        • Common-sense pointing out that Solars should actually be crafting to gain automatic points on a per interval basis.
                        • This makes sense, but it REALLY pigeon-holes crafters into being nothing but. I can see it being really easy for crafters to just make stuff, without much engagement with the overall story except when a new toy is required. This isn't really helped by most of said charms requiring Craft 5.
                        Durability-Enhancing Technique
                        • You understand stuff and so you can improve it.
                        • Spend 5 minutes to make stuff impervious to damage, size limited by Essence. Get a silver or gold point if they improve the character's standing or are actively done during uptime. Durability increases are permanent.
                        • Is the durability limited by the type of material being worked? If not, what's to stop a character imbuing their entire wardrobe with this charm and walking around in blade-impervious clothes? Even if all the charm does is stop the clothes from tearing, that will likely mitigate damage that would otherwise break the skin and cause bleed-outs etc, although I suppose with enough force it wouldn't stop things that would cause internal bleeding.
                        Crack-Mending Technique
                        • Flavour-crunch blurring.
                        • Repair impossibly destroyed things, but not stuff that's been magically unmade. This takes a number of hours, unless CNNT is used, in which case it takes minutes or seconds. Cannot restore magic or mend concepts. Reduces the difficulty of previously possible artefact repair, and makes several such repairs possible where they weren't before, but does not get around new material requirements or alter the goal number.
                        Time Heals Nothing
                        • Alter time to restore things.
                        • Create a free major slot for repairs when required. This vanishes when repairs are complete. At Essence 3+ and increased mote cost, this can create a free superior slot.
                        Blood Diamond Sweat
                        • The Solar is renewed by her work and sacrifice. Or learn things from putting other things back together, not sure which.
                        • Get bonus points for repairing items. Get even more if it's an artefact.
                        Object-Strengthening Touch
                        • Verrrry blurry flavour text, if any.
                        • Harden an object of a certain maximum size with Essence. Increases the difficulty to destroy the object, based on the Solar's Essence. If the Solar is holding it, it can't break. Objects so enhanced become resistant to many forms of damage.
                        • OK, so this one gets mechanical outlines of how the hardness works, but the prerequisite doesn't? Why not?
                        • I'm still convinced that producing ironclad garments with these charms is the way to go. Particularly with this charm. You could have INDESTRUCTIBLE UNDERWEAR!
                        Chaos-Resistance Preparation
                        • Make an object a ward against the Wyld. Spend "up to an hour" treating the object, If it's worn or wielded, it protects for days or hours depending on how far into the Wyld the user is. "Partial protection" halves this time. Multiple objects may be treated to stack a series of bonuses for a group. At Essence 3+, make a project out of this charm and convert lots of goods, clothes, arms and armour. Or wagons or ships.
                        • What does "up to an hour" mean? When would it be less than an hour? The rules don't say.
                        • "Partial protection" makes a bit more sense, but some examples would have been nice.
                        • What about treating buildings? Can you treat them or can't you?
                        Breach-Healing Method
                        • The Exalted bring magic back! Sun magic! Which fixes things through unexplained means.
                        • Create an area sized based on your Essence where happy-happy-joy-joy marvelous wonders happen. People standing in it get non-charm dice bonuses to Craft, Lore, Occult & Medicine rolls, and repair & Medicine rolls have reduced difficulty. Solar must be attempting to repair an object or heal someone to activate this charm, and the effect fades when she finishes her work. People standing in the area understand your point of view far better.
                        • If this applies to both craft and medicine, why isn't this a bridge charm with a medicine prereq? It feels like it has broader applicability than just craft.
                        • Is it focused on the Solar? Does it move with her? It kind of implies it, but doesn't outright state it.
                        Design Beyond Limit
                        • Can temper existing artefacts with greater power.
                        • Must have an artefact weapon to work with, which has all of its Evocations unlocked. Spend an Essence-reduced number of hours working on reforging the weapon in a workshop. When finished, the weapon gains a new Emerald, Sapphire, and Adamant Evocation, which are inactive and must be learned. This can be done by the weapon's owner, not necessarily the Solar doing the reforging. Cannot be used twice on the same item until all evocations have been mastered. Evocations will reflect both the wielder's nature and the crafter's design.
                        • Cool! I didn't understand a word of that! I know evocations are coming, but it all went straight over my head.
                        • I take it the ST has to adjudicate on what evocations are acceptable to reflect the characters' attitudes and designs?
                        The Art of Permanence
                        • Make thing last forever. Lots of cool examples. Implied that this is system and flavour text.
                        • This charm affects basic and major projects. This charm creates an indelible mark of ownership on the item, and if a Solar claims ownership all present instinctively know that it's true. Will also give away the Solar's identity through identifying magic used on an item. Will also have this effect if the Solar made them in a past life and handles them.
                        • The identifying effects of this charm feel like they should be always-on., and the flavourish text feels like it's something that the Solar constantly does. I know it's supplemental because balance, but the "maker's mark" effects shouldn't be, as they can be as much a drawback as a benefit.
                        Realizing the Form Supernal
                        • Recreate part of the First Age.
                        • When using Breach-Healing Method, lower the repair difficulty. Reduces the goal number. Can fully repair certain minor items automatically. Use this charm once per story, but reset by completing an artefact repair without it.
                        Celestial Reforging Technique
                        • The Solar takes a weapon into her forge and reshapes its Evocations. Very, very blurry. Does CNNT apply? I assume not.
                        • Process takes Essence-reduced hours, and the active Evocations can be changed. If the Solar doesn't own the weapon, the weapon's owner pays the xp cost. Can only be used on a given weapon once per story.
                        This one was a mixed bag. On the one hand we finally get some good "this affects what you do with Craft" charms, which a breath of fresh air from the previous trees, which were almost all system hacks. I wanted more of this sort of charm. On the other, the high-end stuff feels very weapons focused, which will all too frequently mean crafter = smith, which is hugely limiting. Did the high-end stuff need to specify artefact weapons? Just artefacts would have been fine, and open up so many more possibilities.

Some of these powers I can see having some cross-over with other charm trees but not allowing it. Looking back at the Bridge keyword, it feels like an Integrity-only thing, which is a mistake in my mind, but we'll see. I also wanted this tree to be bigger.

OK, so we now power on into, well, Power.
                        Last edited by Xerxes; 05-20-2016, 03:54 AM. Reason: Why do you like screwing with my spacing, forum, whyyyy?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
                          I dunno what you guys are talking about, New Phyrexia is the best thing that ever happened to Mirrodin.
                          Begone, Spawn of Nice-but-Overdone Big Bad!

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
                          10. Replace the "When finishing your project upholds, furthers, or protects one of your character’s Intimacies" objective with "When finishing your project involves roleplaying your character in an entertaining and appropriate way".

11. Replace the "When finishing your project produces a clear in-game gain for your character" objective with "When finishing your project moves the story forward or opens up interesting possibilities for future play".

12. Replace the "When finishing your project causes another character to gain or strengthen an Intimacy toward you" with "When finishing your project provides character development to another character or illustrates an interesting detail of the setting".
                          These are really interesting. I would be tempted to keep the "generates or strengthens an intimacy" qualifier too, simply because I like interactions that involve Intimacies. Will have to think about this once I've gone through all the craft charms and can finally read your craft rewrite without it being spoilerific.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                            On the other, the high-end stuff feels very weapons focused, which will all too frequently mean crafter = smith, which is hugely limiting. Did the high-end stuff need to specify artefact weapons? Just artefacts would have been fine, and open up so many more possibilities.
                            That may have slipped in during the writing. Since let's be honest, like 70% of people who craft artifacts are going to want to make artifact WEAPONS first.

Still, you have a point there.

Comment

• Design Beyond Limit isn't actually supposed to be in the book, because Evocations don't work like that anymore. I guess that also applies to the other charm that has it as a prerequisite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                                That may have slipped in during the writing. Since let's be honest, like 70% of people who craft artifacts are going to want to make artifact WEAPONS first.

Still, you have a point there.
                                That's never been my experience. Generally speaking, everyone who wanted an artifact weapon already got it at chargen, and Exalted doesn't really reward multi-weapon stylists a huge amount, so the D&D golf bag of weapons doesn't really happen. Most crafters have generally wanted to make solutions to problems, or general use items, not weapons.

Comment

Working...
                                X