No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I agree. The Twilight in my game did craft one weapon for one player, but that player already had an artefact weapon, he just wanted a staff instead of a spear. Most of the other players either have an artefact weapon anyway, or don't care because they're a social character.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Power

Flawless Handiwork Method
      • The Solar makes the most of being a genius. Her Essence flows with her craft, correcting mistakes and making shoddy workmanship brilliant.
      • Cascading reroll 10s. Repurchase at Craft 3+ to cascading reroll 6s.
      Triumph-Forging Eye
      • The Solar envisions her success and strives onward with clear vision.
      • Once per week, may add a free full Craft excellency to a roll.
      • Ah, so Power is the success-adding tree...
      • The wording on this is awkward. The pedant in me wants to know if you can add the free Craft excellency to non-Craft rolls.
      Supreme Masterwork Focus
      • The Exalt trims away the fat of the project, leaving on the best bits to shine.
      • Basic and Major projects get double 9s. Can be repurchased to give double 8s, and upgrade Superior projects too. Repurchase again to get double 7s. Repurchases reduce mote cost, but burn willpower.
      • Do superior projects ever get double 9s with this charm? It feels like one of the repurchases should grant this on the side, but it never says so.
      Bright-Forging Prana
      • Solar reaches inside herself to get at the secret creative energies within that are just out of reach. I now have M People in my head.
      • Once per story, use Essence or 3 craft charms that your character does not yet possess for the rest of the story on the project they were initially activated for. Must meet the ability minimum, and know all the prerequisites. Charms enabled by this charm can count as pre-requisites to others. Does not function to give craft point bonuses from an incredibly ambiguous example charm.
      • The "does not function to give craft point bonuses" is unclear. The example (Peerless Paragon of Craft) gives charm points at the end of a story, when BFP would have deactivated anyway. Does it mean that you just don't get the points on selecting the charm (which I could understand as people could just ping as many charms as possible to get free points), or does it kill all automatic craft point gathering, negating the nightly gathering of points from Supreme Perfection of Craft as well?
      Experiential Conjuring of True Void
      • Solar can tap the elementalness of herself to draw inspiration of her pure core of Essence. I'm getting lots of Iron Man images from these descriptions too...
      • Can be used after a craft roll, and adds one automatic non-Charm success. Cannot be used on basic projects. At Essence 3+, the number of successes goes up to (Essence + Intelligence).
      • Being picky again, but aren't "elemental" and "refined" mildly contradictory words? "Elemental" implies raw and untamed, while "refined" has had stuff done to it.
      Unbroken Image Focus
      • Flavour/crunch blurring.
      • Can buy additional non-charm successes after making the crafting roll, based on Essence and the number of successes gained.
      First Movement of the Demiurge
      • Flavour mid-way through. Solar's own genius inspires her even more than before.
      • Enhances Experiential Conjuring of True Void, turning 1 non-success into a 10 for every three-of-a-kind success rolled. If Flawlless Handiwork Method used, any 10s generated from this are then rerolled until 10s fail to appear.
      • Do three 10s mean six base successes, which in turn converts to six FMD 10s, resulting in 12 bonus successes from 3 successful dice? The words state "three-of-a-kind successes", not "three-of-a-kind success dice".
      Essence-Forging Kata
      • Channel Essence through your hands to make a work of legend.
      • Make a five-minute preparation stunt to activate in which stuff is envisioned, and once this is done can commit motes to reduce the cost of the Craft excellency.
      • Does the writer know what a kata is? The description feels more like a meditation or prana, given the amount of mindwork involved...
      Mind-Expanding Meditation
      • The effort put into crafting inspires further works of greatness.
      • Raise the dice cap for an Attribute + Craft rating, limited by Craft rating.
      Inspiration-Renewing Vision
      • Cleanse yourself of all rubbish and focus on the wonder you wish to create.
      • A Superior or Legendary project roll supplemented by this charm does not count towards the project's terminus. Once per story limit, reset on completion of a 50+ successes Superior or Legendary project which doesn't involve this charm.
      • The wording on this made me angry. The crunch wording is clunky beyond belief. I was reading it wondering whether the charm doesn't count towards the Terminus, and why on earth a charm, considered in isolation, would count towards a project's terminus at all.
      • Wouldn't it be mechanically neater to make this a reflexive charm? Would it make a difference?
      Divine Inspiration Technique
      • Crafting lets the Solar know the secrets of Life, the Universe and Everything.
      • For every 3 successes on a Craft roll, get an extra non-charm die. Effect is recursive.
      Horizon-Unveiling Insight
      • The Solar can imagine raw Essence patterns, which solidify into reality.
      • Permanently raises the terminus of superior and legendary projects.
      Holistic Miracle Understanding
      • Shape wonders from the raw fabric of the world.
      • Augment Divine Inspiration Technique to get even more non-charm dice for a certain number of successes.
      • And there I was expecting something actually cool from the description, like being able to ignore a certain level of mundane material requirements. You suck, Holistic Miracle Understanding.
      And... Craft is over. That felt decidedly underwhelming. The tree wasn't so much an insurmountable monster as a series of molehills that made me wonder why they were ever made. Yes, the dice tweakery is probably immense enough to satisfy the desires of even the most jaundiced bean counter, but the actual effects of most of the charms boil down to "you think about stuff and get flashes of inspiration. Your hands maybe glow, or maybe they don't, and you do stuff faster/do stuff more successfully/can do more stuff in future". There's a ton of mechanics in here, but barely any flavour to hang it on and actually make me care about this stuff. As it is, I can see building a crafter as a quick cure for happy thoughts, but beyond that, I really want nothing to do with it.

Next up, the hopefully more interesting Dodge.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
        Being picky again, but aren't "elemental" and "refined" mildly contradictory words?
        *Passing Garda Bird is unspeakably offended*

Comment

The wording on this is awkward. The pedant in me wants to know if you can add the free Craft excellency to non-Craft rolls.
          Well by definition, an Excellency can only enhance a roll using the relevant ability. So, a Dodge Excellency can only enhance a Dodge-based roll, or boost your Evasion. A Melee Excellency can enhance an attack roll or boost your Parry. And a Craft roll can only boost a Craft-based roll.

So yeah, you get the free Craft excellency, but by the way Excellencies work it only applies to a Craft roll. That's why it's called a Craft Excellency.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Begone, Spawn of Nice-but-Overdone Big Bad!
            He may have been overdone by the end of Apocalypse, but that was in 2001. Yawgmoth spent years as a historical footnote.

I'm derailing the thread, aren't I?

I'll save the speech about New Phyrexia's greatness.

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
            These are really interesting. I would be tempted to keep the "generates or strengthens an intimacy" qualifier too, simply because I like interactions that involve Intimacies. Will have to think about this once I've gone through all the craft charms and can finally read your craft rewrite without it being spoilerific.
            Thanks.

And I look forward to it.

Comment

• /me hands over badge for "Surviving Crafting Charms".

Comment

• Originally posted by Drascin View Post

That's never been my experience. Generally speaking, everyone who wanted an artifact weapon already got it at chargen, and Exalted doesn't really reward multi-weapon stylists a huge amount, so the D&D golf bag of weapons doesn't really happen. Most crafters have generally wanted to make solutions to problems, or general use items, not weapons.
                Hm. Maybe I should have said "The devs probably assumed that most people who make artifacts are going to make artifact weapons or armor".

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Brawl and Craft. That's the worst - or at least the biggest - trees behind you.

(The reason Bridge seems to be Integrity-only appears to be that, as of the initial Ex3 leaks, people felt Integrity was underwhelming, and so they spruced it up. Bridge was part of that sprucing.)

(The motives there are speculative; perhaps it was unrelated to the leaks. Regardless, that's the period where suddenly a lot of new stuff appears in Integrity, including Bridge. Most of the other Charms exist before that point, and don't acquire the keyword.)
                  Last edited by Irked; 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Yay Dodge charms! This is one of my favorite tree in the entire book.

Also, they are the answer to everything.

EVERYTHING!

Ultimate Jade-Screened Exalted Scholar, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar
                    THDR : Future Dragon-Blooded campaign, and other links.
                    If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!

Comment

• Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
                      Yay Dodge charms! This is one of my favorite tree in the entire book.

Also, they are the answer to everything.

EVERYTHING!
                      As everyone knows: flying is just throwing yourself at the ground and missing. Or, in a Solar's case, dodging.

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

• We already had flight. It's more like jumping.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                          As everyone knows: flying is just throwing yourself at the ground and missing. Or, in a Solar's case, dodging.
                          I actually did make a Sidereal flight charm back in 2E that in fact did work by jumping, poking the Loom of Fate in the shoulder so it would look the other way, and then dodging the ground. It felt appropriate.
                          Last edited by Drascin; 05-21-2016, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Dodge

Reed in the Wind
                            • The Exalt uses her momentum to bend, and probably ultimately Bullet Time.
                            • Convert initiative into Evasion bonuses. Successful dodges at higher levels restores some Essence.
                            Dust Motes Whirling
                            • Solar is elusive and whirly.
                            • Get double 9s on a disengage attempt.
                            Shadow Dancer Method
                            • Dance the dance of death, Numfar.
                            • Builds on Reed in the Wind; pay motes to retain lost initiative. On using a disengage action and then moving into close range as her next move action, the Solar gets 2 bonus initiative.
                            Reflex Sidestep Technique
                            • Solars know what's going on so well that they are impervious to harm. This separates them from their foes' attacks, even when they're not aware of them.
                            • Can be activated in response to an ambush, trap or other damage the Solar is unaware of. Sets the Solar's Evasion to 2, and adds another 1 for every 1 or 2 in the attack roll, before charms. If this lifts the Solar's Evasion to its full value, other Dodge charms can be applied.
                            • This felt unclearly worded, but I think I get it. Took about 3 read-throughs. Maybe it's just been too long since I read the ambush rules.
                            Leaping Dodge Method
                            • Solar flows with the Essence inherent in Creation.
                            • Can move forward or back a range band after making a successful dodge.
                            Searing Quicksilver Flight
                            • The Solar is so good at dodging that her dodges steal away momentum from her opponent.
                            • On a successful dodge, opponents lose 1 initiative in addition to what they would have lost in the attack anyway.
                            Drifting Leaf Elusion
                            • Solar slips away from an attack that would have struck her.
                            • Solar may successfully evade an attack with successes equal to her Evasion. This can be done after an attack is made.
                            • Isn't this how evasion works anyway? From page 191, "If the roll produces fewer successes than the target’s Defense, it fails." Or does this effectively modify the text to "If the roll doesn't produce more successes than the target's Defence, it fails"? This seems like a lot of trouble to get what is effectively a +1 Evasion boost. And terribly worded if so. "When using this Charm, attack rolls equal to the character's Evasion fail" would be so much clearer.
                            Shadow Over Water
                            • The Solar Exalt is an untouchable Freddy Kreuger.
                            • Remove all Evasion penalties for one attack.
                            Fleet Dreaming Image
                            • An illusion of the Solar dances ahead of her enemies and taunts them.
                            • Can attempt a disengage action from short range on her turn.
                            • Isn't this entirely superfluous? Disengage actions are an attempt to move from close range to short range in combat. If you're already at short range surely you don't need another Disengage action?
                            Drifting Shadow Focus
                            • The Solar drifts through her enemies like a shadow, sowing terror, confusion, and probably FUD too.
                            • Declared before an attack, and lasts a turn. Can redirect any attack made against her to another target in close range.
                            • Does this mean that she can make a battlegroup hit itself? The flavour suggests being in a large group, which would be battle-group appropriate, but the wording "any other target" suggests the originator of the attack (the battlegroup) can't be hit. I would have expected some special treatment or exceptions for battlegroups to be made for this.
                            Force-Stealing Feint
                            • No flavour text.
                            • Upgrades SQF so that the lost initiative is gained by the Solar.
                            Seven Shadow Evasion
                            • Solar has fantastic form.
                            • Once per scene, Solar can dodge any attack without a roll, including recurring uncountable damage. Resets by using Reed in the Wind three times to dodge decisive attacks "from dangerous opponents".
                            • What qualifies as a dangerous opponent? Vague enough term to be meaningless.
                            Safety Between Heartbeats
                            • Exalt can exploit the slightest hesitation, in the smallest moments.
                            • On successfully dodging an attack, make an opponent lose 1 initiative for every 1 rolled.
                            • This is declared before rolls, right? And offensive charms are declared before defensive. Can attacking opponents declare the use of further offensive charms that remove 1s in response to this charm being used? I may be thinking to MtG for this...
                            Fourfold Shiver Binding
                            • The Solar's body blurs itself outside of an attack.
                            • When a Solar's Evasion is successfully applied, Fourfold Silver Binding may be used to raise her Evasion by 1 for the rest of the scene. Non-stackable, non-charm and cannot be used with armour.
                            • What is "successfully applying her evasion"? Successfully dodging an attack? Could have been better worded.
                            Flow Like Blood
                            • The Solar scatters Essence throughout her being, effectively atomising her.
                            • When dodging attacks from opponents with lower initiative than her own, the Solar ignores all Evasion penalties.
                            Rumor of Form
                            • Exalt moves her Essence through and around the attack, becoming partly incorporeal.
                            • Pay 3 motes to convert a 1 rolled on an attack to -1 penalty to the attack roll. For every such conversion, get an automatic success on a reflexive stealth roll.
                            • The inclusion of a stealth roll makes me think this is crazy powerful for Essence 2. You can drop into stealth and get a surprise attack in pretty much every round after your opponent rolls a 1.
                            Way of Whispers Technique
                            • Being such a master at Dodge means you stop thinking about the little things.
                            • Use of Drifting Leaf Elusion and Rumour of Form does not count as using a charm in conjunction with another charm, such as Unbowed Willow Meditation.
                            • Why is using DLE & ROF counting as using a charm in conjunction with another charm usually a problem? If it means "they can be used as supplemental charms", say that. I do not understand why this charm is here. They're both reflexive charms, and so both create an action, but according to my understanding of charm combos (from people in this thread, mind, the rules are no help in this whatsoever), you can pay to combine different charms anyway. Or is that just supplemental charms, as reflexive charms each need to create their own action? I is a confuse...
                            • Which other charms can they be used with? Will they be flagged? What are the criteria for inclusion under Way of Whispers Technique? I NEED MORE EXPLANATION!
                            Vaporous Division
                            • Some people spread malicious lies about Solars actually being hit. I was kind of expecting more about "and there was no evidence of this" to follow up, but apparently half a sentence is good enough for charm flavour text.
                            • Pay motes to remove decisive damage. The strike appears to hit, and then doesn't at all. Will reset an attacker to base initiative, unless they're special.
                            • Why the exception for special activation rules for resetting to base initiative? Vaporous Division might not cancel out all decisive damage, so the attack is technically a success anyway.
                            Sunlight Bleeding Away
                            • The Solar melts across the landscape.
                            • Upon succeeding in a disengage action, can reflexively retreat 2 range bands when approached, rather than 1.
                            Thousand Steps’ Stillness
                            • The Solar flickers and trebles [sic] like a heat haze. Yet more flickering out of existence charms.
                            • Should "treble" be "tremble"?
                            • On a successful dodge, gain initiative equal to the 1s and 2s in the dodged attack roll.
                            Unbowed Willow Meditation
                            • Harm passes through and over the Lawgiver, making her stronger.
                            • When the Solar dodges a decisive attack without using a charm, she steals all their initiative and crashes them.
                            • Oh, so Way of Whispers is a way to cheat at stuff that need non-charm successes? Then WHY DIDN'T IT SAY THAT? Rather than "can be used in charms like Unbowed Willow Meditation" and leaving readers confused for a page and a half, a sentence like "Use of DLE & ROF does not count as using a charm for the purposes of charms that require no charm use, such as UWM" would have worked far better.
                            • Why are trivial opponents so impervious to dodge charms? So they they can be a threat? Then why are they trivial? I honestly don't get why they're excluded from certain conditions. Is it so that they are actually capable of being at threat, despite being trivial? If not, I don't see why they're excluded from any effects.
                            Hundred Shadow Ways
                            • Seriously merged flavour and crunch text.
                            • Remember a charm that was used in a successfully dodged attack, and perfectly evade its effects for that scene. Cannot be used against Excellencies, sorcery or Evocations. If the Exalt is crashed, the charm's effect ends.
                            • "perfectly evades" sounds like a system term, but probably isn't. At least, not in the 2E sense. You could argue that this is intuitive, it still feels like it's plugging into stuff that's no longer there. "Automatically evades" would have been better.
                            Living Bonds Unburdened
                            • Break the link to the physical and revel in your anima being FREEEE! Possibly while your body gets hacked to pieces, but eh.
                            • Must remain immobile for a turn, during which evasion is impossible to use and parry is penalised. The turn after, make a Wits/Dodge roll to create a number of extra -0 health levels. When hit for a -0 health level, it still counts as a successful dodge, although health levels are still checked off. Dodges created in this way do not count as charm use. This charm cannot stack and cannot be reused until all created health levels are gone.
                            • The wording feels awkward, but I'm not sure it could have been phrased any better.
                            Unbridled Shade Attitude
                            • The Solar is a wraith.
                            • Get one point of Initiative for every -0 level damaged by a decisive attack.
                            • Aaaaand the Living Bonds Unburdened combo makes itself clear.
                            Harm-Dismissing Meditation
                            • The Solar can deny her wounds and strike them from existence.
                            • Once per scene, can retroactively dodge damage she has received by standing still for a round. Can only heal -2 and -1 health levels.
                            Refinement of Flowing Shadows
                            • The Solar becomes one with nothingness.
                            • When dodging an attack, gain a bonus initiative, and an extra point of initiative every turn each round until struck by an attack. Does not apply if concealed or at extreme range.
                            • Nice!
                            This was a really interesting tree to read, but bits of Dodge flavour text feel... weird. Not necessarily bad, just really oddly worded. And blurring into flavour text at times.An occasional tendency to break things up wasn't much worse than the rest of the rules as a whole. If anything, some of the charms needed to work on how they are different from the normal process, rather than just stating what they do. I had to do a lot more flicking back and forth between the nomal dodge rules and these charms than I did for the preceding sections.

And now on to Integrity, which is apparently not loved very much.

Last edited by Xerxes; 05-22-2016, 12:39 PM. Reason: Stupid spacing, as usual.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                            Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• On declaration order, it's one declaration and done. Offensive Charms are decalred, defensive Charms are declared, that's it. I think Charm-bidding is something the rules are kind of trying to avoid with that.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Fleet Dreaming Image is a way to counter rushes from short range.

Comment

Working...
                                X