A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
    At some point there'll probably be a decent Sorcerous Project-focused Occult tree, I assume.
    Wouldn't that make Occult a mandatory supernal for sorcerers again?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
    Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
    Some Lintha QCs
    A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Performance

Don't Get Stage Fright sidebar
      • Seems simple enough, and kind of in the right place.
      Omni-Applicable

Masterful Performance Exercise
      • The Solar is good because she practices.
      • 1 automatic success on a Performance-based action, reroll 1s until they fail to appear.
      • Is the "makes 1s unavailable to magic" just a reiteration of a general rule (the one on p.252, under Order of Operations), or an exception? If the latter, what's the difference?
      Soul-Firing Performance
      • The Solar's performance shocks the audience because it's so good.
      • Length required varies depending on the medium, but can then roll Cha+Per vs Resolve with auto-successes to make the audience connect with an emotion and then Think About What They've Done previously that's connected to that emotion. This puts each influenced character into a Decision Point regarding a past influence. May only be used once per story.
      Stillness-Drawing Meditation
      • Solar draws power from the audience's spirit.
      • Whenever an audience is successfully influenced, regain motes.
      • What, no "must only be spent on Performance/Underwater Basket Weaving Charms" restriction? Wow, this is a rare beast. But then again it is an Essence 2 charm. This tree moves fast.
      Trance of Fugue Vision
      • Solar is wracked with... something mid-performance, which reinvigorates them.
      • Activate the charm when 10+ motes are committed to scene-long charms. Attempting any social influence action, sustaining a performance or rolling certain 10s in Performance rolls while this is active gives motes. Cap on 10 motes regained for any single action.
      • This doesn't specify scene-long Performance charms, although that may be implied.
      • Once again, this is general motes, not motes-that-must-be-used-for-this type motes. Makes it feel really incongruent, but to be frank I'm happy about it.
      Penultimate Unity of Form
      • Solar uses Essence to meld all performance styles into a single action.
      • Can switch some method-specific charm effects into other methods of performance. This only changes how they activate, not what they effect (I think, took me about 3 read-throughs to work this out...). If the action is successful vs the primary target, gain a point of Willpower.
      Soul-Bracing Momentous Power
      • Exalt reaches into her core to find primal Essence, which makes her impossible to resist.
      • Roll willpower, and reroll non-successes once. Remaining non-success determine activation cost. Successes act as non-charm successes on the next social influence roll the Exalt makes. If influence is successful, target must spend willpower across multiple days to overthrow the influence, and can only do so if they see how it conflicts with their intimacies.
      • Hang on... the weaker it is the more it costs? It's the same mechanic as Plague-Banishing Incantation, and makes just as little sense here.
      • Does the target need to be confronted with evidence of the conflict on each day to make the willpower roll, or is one thing enough to start the whole process off?
      Unmatched Showmanship Style
      • Solar is filled with ancient power, and pours out her Essence through her performance.
      • Get a free muted full Performance excellency. Can be reset by using performance to achieve "one of the Solar's defining goals".
      • I know motivations were a thing in 2E, but "defining goals" in 3E feels like weird wording. Defining intimacies aren't necessarily goals. "A goal related to one of the Solar's Defining Intimacies" would have been better wording, but I'm not sure that's entirely the same meaning as was intended here.
      Soul Voice
      • Solar does something with some nebulous god and her body is somehow a temple. This flavour text makes little sense.
      • Reduce the cost of all Performance charms to zero motes for one performance. Can be used once per day, resets when the Storyteller introduces a plot element that changes things for the worse.
      • Waiting for the ST to let you reset a charm doesn't strike me as a helpful thing. Most reset conditions are "do something". This is "wait around for plot".
      Pivotal Encore Performance
      • Solar reaches inward and gives her soul a stir. Flavour-crunch mix.
      • Resets both Unmatched Showmanship Style and Soul Voice.
      That's it for the Omni-Applicable charms. They are an interesting lot, but I don't have particularly strong feelings on their use. Maybe I'm just not the kind of person to build Performance characters.

And on to Utility!
      Last edited by Xerxes; 06-11-2016, 05:15 AM. Reason: Usual spacing bugs

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
        [*]I don't think there are actually any standard materialisation rules. Done a quick Ctrl+F, and the only references to the term outside of charms is in the Zenith caste ability and for certain antagonists that can do it. So the rules don't actually have a set of universal guidelines about what being dematerialised means, but a lot of these rules seem to imply that they do exist. I'm happy to be wrong, though.
        Spirits that can materialise have the Materialise charm (which also lets them dematerialise again), covered in the Antagonists chapter.

Comment

• Utility

OK, so what are these divisions actually for? I could understand all the other sections, they're either split by type of action, or applicable to all of them. How is "utility" different to the others? If it was split by what they do for the performer, I could kind of get it. As it is, without reading the charms, this designation is confusing.

Respect-Commanding Attitude
          • The universe inclines to hear the voice of the Solars again.
          • People are inclined to stop and listen to a performance action of any length. Has no effect on the persuasiveness of an action, but guarantees an attentive audience. Must pay willpower to leave, interruptions cost more willpower and must be structured so that they blend into the performance. There is something about capping actions which is a little unclear; I think it's that any interrupting action cannot have more dice than the interrupting character's Cha+Per, until the performance is stopped. Does not function in combat, but can continue through it if started before and Solar does not stop performing.
          • How do you "blend in" to a solo speech? Or are they just uninterruptible with this charm?
          Phantom-Conjuring Performance
          • No separate flavour text.
          • When using some of the prereqs, Exalt may pay a mote to summon phantom images around her up to short range to illustrate the performance. At higher Performance and Essence levels, Exalt can conjure more robust and larger images.
          Memory-Reweaving Discipline
          • Exalt can tell stories so plausible that they sound better than the truth.
          • Solar must speak for at least a minute, longer for more elaborate stories, roll Cha+Mani vs group's Resolve, and successes result in a belief in the facts the Solar has presented. Extra successes mean they are more committed to the belief. Targets get Resolve bonuses to defend against attacks on that narrative. Characters must present direct contrary evidence and defeat the boosted Resolve to overcome the charm. Failure to do this makes the character immune to further attempt to break the belief for the rest of the day. Resolve decreases with each unsuccessful attempt. Once a character's memory is altered, Solar cannot make further alterations until the charm's effects are totally broken. Solar can target herself, but doing so adds a point of Limit. Higher Essence ratings allow multiple uses of the charm on the same person. May be repurchased to condense its effects into an instant reflexive action.
          Demon Wracking Shout
          • Music can bring out the most deeply buried memories that time itself has forgotten.
          • May spend xp instantly to learn this charm when it's perceived, and buy herself into debt if necessary. Solar shouts in a way that is just terrifying to most creatures, but is a Decisive attack against demons and spiritual creatures of darkness within long range of the Solar, with Essence-based auto-successes. The attack cannot be dodged or parried, and adds 10 dice when determining base initiative. Strikes dematerialised enemies as well as materialised ones. May only be used once per fight.
          Still not much clearer on what this group is meant to be than before... but Oratory is a much clearer thing!
          Last edited by Xerxes; 06-12-2016, 04:55 AM. Reason: Oh spacing, how I do hate you...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
            Wouldn't that make Occult a mandatory supernal for sorcerers again?
            I'd hardly say mandatory when you haven't seen it. If it's mostly low-essence, then not really.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Pretty sure Utility is just effects that didn't fit in anywhere else, but were still useful and thematic.

As for how to blend in with a performance, it basically forces the other person to stunt how they 'interrupt' the performance. If it was dancing, in order to 'interrupt' the dance, they need to join in the dance and then stunt how them joining in disrupts the performance. For a speech, to interrupt they need to follow the rules of debate if they want to interrupt the speaker. And so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Myradmir View Post
                Pretty sure Utility is just effects that didn't fit in anywhere else, but were still useful and thematic.
                Then why not just bung them into omni-applicable? They don't look like they're limited to a particular kind of performance, and so why make them a distinct category?

Originally posted by Myradmir View Post
                As for how to blend in with a performance, it basically forces the other person to stunt how they 'interrupt' the performance. If it was dancing, in order to 'interrupt' the dance, they need to join in the dance and then stunt how them joining in disrupts the performance. For a speech, to interrupt they need to follow the rules of debate if they want to interrupt the speaker. And so on.
                That makes sense. Cheers!

Comment

• Oratory

Impassioned Orator Technique
                  • The Solar speaks with the voice of Heaven.
                  • Double 9s on Performance-based speeches.
                  Fury Inciting Speech
                  • Solar speaks out against injustice, making her audience full of righteous anger.
                  • Solar speaks to a crowd for 10 minutes, and acts as an Inspire action against Resolve. Low successes leave them an angry riotous mass, but can give them a target for every 3 extra successes on the roll.
                  Dogmatic Contagion Discipline
                  • Solar's arguments ignite passions in the listeners.
                  • Extra successes on the inspire action give the listeners extra successes on passing on the influence. These will retain the influence for Essence-based days, and give the same bonus to those they inspire. If this charm is used with others that require willpower, ignore the willpower cost.
                  • Does this effect cascade all the way down, or just 2 steps of people down? Having an explicit cut-off point would have been helpful.
                  Infectious Zealotry Approach
                  • Compress all the emotive power of speech into a single statement.
                  • May make an action that may or may not be a persuade action to encourage the target to act now, rather than putting it off. Success makes the target forget all other concerns and focus on doing that action for the rest of the scene.Can be resisted by spending willpower, but only if the character would violate a defining intimacy by carrying out the action.
                  On Infectious Zealotry Approach Sidebar
                  • Using Mind-Wiping Gaze with Infectious Zealotry Approach makes a character catatonic. In this state, Hypnotic Tongue Technique and Memory Reweaving Discipline may be used without a resolve check.
                  • What, no mention of how to manage the targeted character's continued actions after the scene is up, neither here or in the charm text? So we have no explicit guidance on whether the character just stops doing the action after the scene is up, carries on with less impetus that can be more easily dissuaded, or anywhere in-between. I don't know if this is me being thick at something supposedly obvious, but I'd at least put a sentence of so on somewhere to clarify this.
                  Well, that was... shorter than I expected. There's way more that you could do with oratory charms than is presented here. Off the top of my head:
                  • shortening the speech delivery time for all speeches, not just random "do what I say if you're wavering" situations
                  • making sure all who are listening hear with absolute clarity for many range bands (an entire auditorium being able to hear a whispered speech etc)
                  • being able to deliver a flawless hour-long speech without preparation
                  • directly implanting images and intimacies into people who are listening
                  And that's only with about a minute's thought. I feel very short-changed with this charm "tree". Was it intentionally a bonsai?
                  Last edited by Xerxes; 06-12-2016, 02:19 PM. Reason: Dear Spacing Glitch, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

• shortening the speech delivery time for all speeches, not just random "do what I say if you're wavering" situations
                    • making sure all who are listening hear with absolute clarity for many range bands (an entire auditorium being able to hear a whispered speech etc)
                    • being able to deliver a flawless hour-long speech without preparation
                    • directly implanting images and intimacies into people who are listening
                    And that's only with about a minute's thought. I feel very short-changed with this charm "tree". Was it intentionally a bonsai?
                    3/4 of these are covered in the Backer Charms, if that matters.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                      3/4 of these are covered in the Backer Charms, if that matters.
                      Not for now, as this is relating to my impressions from the core. It may do later, if us plebs who have only joined up recently are allowed access at some point. If not, it only adds to my opinion that Ex3 was only ever intended to appeal to existing users.

Which, in fairness, needs to change not only because it's an asinine position to hold, but it's also running counter to the evidence. Ex3 has only been off the top spot on DTRPG on point I've checked since its released (I've been checking multiple times per week), which means it MUST be bringing in new players.
                      Last edited by Xerxes; 06-12-2016, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Music & Singing

Perfect Harmony Technique
                        • Solar shapes her voice into perfect harmony of sound.
                        • Double 9s on musical performances.
                        • By Jove, Watson, I sense a theme here...!
                        Mood-Inducing Music
                        • Solar evokes the soul of a composition through her Essence.
                        • Song supports social influence in a scene. Solar's player outlines the mood the music induces, and an intended effect. The music enhances social actions of anyone who can hear it and act in line with the music, and penalise those who attempt social actions that are counter to the effect of the music.
                        • Can the mood and the intended effect be contradictory? Doesn't say either way.
                        • What sort of penalties and bonuses? Some guidelines on this would be really helpful, game, rather than just "the ST makes some totally directionless rulings".
                        Battle Anthem (of the Solar Exalted)
                        • Solar pumps out phat battle Essence through her instrument.
                        • While this song is playing in combat, Solar and her allies gain 1 initiative per round, and successful withering attacks give 1 extra point of initiative. Allied battle groups who can hear it get Essence-based bonus dice to their attacks. While using this charm, the Solar cannot take any non-Reflexive actions. This charm does not stack with itself when played by multiple people. Stacked with Soul Voice, allies get 2 initiative per round, and battle groups get Essence-based automatic successes to their attacks.
                        Plectral Harbinger’s Approach
                        • No flavour text.
                        • When using Mood-Inducing Music, Solar can focus on a particular character, rolling to influence with Essence-based auto-successes vs Resolve. If successful, convert extra successes into bonus dice to the beneficiary's social influence. If the beneficiary's roll is successful, Solar regains a point of willpower, but doesn't know if it succeeds or not because of that gain. Can target a group's resolve if another character's music is enhanced.
                        • The sudden interjection of how this charm works with groups in the middle of the process confused the hell out of me, hence the restructuring in the point above.
                        Heart-Compelling Method
                        • Solar's music pulls at the heart-strings of the target, compelling him to act on his deepest desires.
                        • Creates an inspire action through a song, which must go on for at least a minute before it affects anyone. Targets a type of intimacy portrayed by the player, with the exact intimacy determined by the ST.
                        Soul-Stirring Cantata
                        • Solar draws a song from her soul and frees it with her voice.
                        • When the Solar sings, the Solar and each ally who can hear her gets an additional mote per turn of combat, or one mote for every 2 minutes out of combat. Out of combat this can only be used once per day. When using this charm, cannot take non-Reflexive actions. This song attracts spirits, and the Wild Hunt knows to listen for it. In combination with Soul Voice, this charm regenerates 2 motes per turn or per minute.
                        • There's quite a few things that stack with Soul Voice... why didn't Oratory get any of these effects?
                        Heroism-Encouraging Ballad
                        • The Solar's music guards against fear.
                        • Solar is immune to fear effects, and a single target nominated by the Solar is as well. Or, Solar can inspire heroism in multiple allies, doubling resolve bonuses from an applicable tie or principle.
                        • What are fear effects?
                        Last edited by Xerxes; 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM. Reason: One-one thousand...

Comment

Not for now, as this is relating to my impressions from the core. It may do later, if us plebs who have only joined up recently are allowed access at some point. If not, it only adds to my opinion that Ex3 was only ever intended to appeal to existing users.

Which, in fairness, needs to change not only because it's an asinine position to hold, but it's also running counter to the evidence. Ex3 has only been off the top spot on DTRPG on point I've checked since its released (I've been checking multiple times per week), which means it MUST be bringing in new players.

The Backer Charms will be released for sale on Drive Thru RPG after they have been proofread by the backers.

I write things.

Comment

• Good to know, although infuriating that we're expected to pay for some baseline functionality to some charm trees. Part of me is also curious as to what they'll be called. "The Backer Charms" doesn't strike me as an interesting title.

Comment

• Dance

Graceful Reed Dancing
                              • Exalt moves with the Essence of the world, getting perfect rhythm.
                              • Double 9s for dance Performance action.
                              • Pattern locked. I like it.
                              Battle-Dancer Method
                              • No flavour text.
                              • Exalt adds half her Performance (rounded down) to her Parry or Evasion while dancing. If dancing alone, this also applies to Resolve.
                              Shining Expression Style
                              • The Exalt is so skilled that she can dance a whole range of emotions in a single piece.
                              • Must be dancing for at least 2 minutes, rolling Cha+Per with Essence-based auto-successes against the group's Resolve. Each success evokes a particular intimacy within each member of the audience, which they will feel drawn to act on or discuss until something else happens to change their mood. Characters who reveal an intimacy like this count as Guile 0 for detecting and confirming that intimacy. Solar may not be the beneficiary of this, but can never be identified as the origin of the feeling, by any means.
                              Winding Sinuous Motion
                              • Solar traces her Essence into her steps and motion, getting into the minds of the audience.
                              • Performance-based Roll made vs target's Resolve. Success lowers the target's Guile or Resolve by 2 in the Solar's next social influence attempt.
                              Monk-Seducing Demon Dance
                              • The Solar is a sensual thing, and dances provocatively.
                              • Solar dances for 3 minutes, making an Appearance-based roll vs groups Resolve with Essence-based bonus dice. Success inspires lust for the Exalt, and all sexually-compatible audience members will feel compelled to seduce her. Non-compatible members will admire her and want to speak with her.
                              • Typo: "This is dance lasting three minutes".
                              These all feel really bitty. Not quite so glaringly as Oratory in this case, but there could be a lot more to most of these charm trees. Yes, more may be coming. That doesn't stop me feeling disappointed as I read this.
                              Last edited by Xerxes; 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM. Reason: Two-One thousand...

Comment

• Acting

ONE CHARM!!??? This is really extracting the urine. I appreciate that there's the omni-applicable stuff, but Performance could have done with a lot more love.

Master Thespian Style
                                • The greatest actors are, apparently, fantastic at making people forget things.
                                • Solar spends 5 minutes getting into character, and gets 1 bonus guile for the rest of the scene so long as she stays in character. Failure to read intentions correctly pick up on intimacies of the character, not the Solar. If the Solar enters the scene with a dramatic stunt related to the character she's portraying, this can be done reflexively. Can be combined with Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise.

Comment

Working...
                                X