A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    ..And thus is born my horse-themed Lunar with an artifact Firewand ...
    What is this monster I have created...!?

I'm about to start re-reading 3rd Ed again and it's interesting comparing your read through with my own impressions and just how much I'm filling in the blanks that the current text leaves a little open.
    Would be good to compare. As a note, I'm not putting in every perspective I have - that would basically end up with me rewriting the book. I'm picking out stuff that either confuses or intrigues me. That means that I may be missing some stuff that may have changed etc, but without doing a line-by-line comparison vs the 2nd ed core I'm not sure quite what else I can do.

When it comes to the crunchy stuff, I'll be doing a lot more "So I think it works like this..." sort of stuff, which is where the discrepancies are likely to come.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      When it comes to the crunchy stuff, I'll be doing a lot more "So I think it works like this..." sort of stuff, which is where the discrepancies are likely to come.
      So, you've been going through whole chapters at a time, but if this is your plan I'd definitely suggest that you try to handle the Charms Chapter in chunks. It's going to be too much of a slog to get through in one go and it'd be a shame if you got discouraged and gave up.

Comment

What is this monster I have created...!?
        I'll be glorious. Though I suspect no self-respecting Lunar would allow themselves to be a mere steed for a Solar no matter the situation/relationship. At least not without a fight!

Would be good to compare. As a note, I'm not putting in every perspective I have - that would basically end up with me rewriting the book. I'm picking out stuff that either confuses or intrigues me. That means that I may be missing some stuff that may have changed etc, but without doing a line-by-line comparison vs the 2nd ed core I'm not sure quite what else I can do.

That would be quite a bit of work! It's mostly just interesting as a long-time fan of Exalted to see the sorts of things that are jumping out to you as confusing or contradictory. Great thread so far. Looking forward to you views on the system; I know mine but I can compare to the prior editions and I have that bias (I won't say which way I am biased though in this thread!). But from a "fresh pair of eyes" your view on the system will be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by HighPriest View Post

So, you've been going through whole chapters at a time, but if this is your plan I'd definitely suggest that you try to handle the Charms Chapter in chunks. It's going to be too much of a slog to get through in one go and it'd be a shame if you got discouraged and gave up.
          I had already thought of that, and was planning to go through the system as "generic charm rules" and then "Ability A charms", "Ability B charms" etc. Although to be frank, the get discouraged and give up has already happened. While building a character I just got so lost in the words after a while that I jumped for a quick reference guide that I knew existed, and screw the actual rules.

I'll be glorious. Though I suspect no self-respecting Lunar would allow themselves to be a mere steed for a Solar no matter the situation/relationship. At least not without a fight!
          Very true...

It's mostly just interesting as a long-time fan of Exalted to see the sorts of things that are jumping out to you as confusing or contradictory. Great thread so far. Looking forward to you views on the system; I know mine but I can compare to the prior editions and I have that bias (I won't say which way I am biased though in this thread!). But from a "fresh pair of eyes" your view on the system will be very interesting.
          Understood, thanks for the clarification.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Chapter 3: Character Creation
            In addition to reading this chapter, I've created a character to go through the process, so I'm not doing this as a total hypothetical.
            Intro Fiction
            • Nice snappy text about a Liminal's day job in the North. Only gripe is it uses the term "po", which isn't defined anywhere else. I know what it's getting at, because of Kindred of the East, but bad ghosts either aren't called that anywhere else, or it happens so rarely that I missed it.
            Preparation
            • Thank you! So few books mention talking to the ST about what sort of game they'll run. I guess it's more necessary in Exalted because of the scope of the setting and the power of the characters, but it needs to happen in every game as a first step.
            • The general character creation advice after it is decent too.
            • Is there a reason the dot-ratings is explained in words, without the dot illustrations of other Storyteller games? I imagine pace, but it makes it a bit more difficult to take in.
            Concept & Caste
            • This might just be me, but the concept examples feel veerrrrry broad at this point. Which makes it a little difficult to get into the interesting details of a character.
            Attributes
            • Nice and simple. Although it might have helped to list the attributes that fall into each category at this point. We know the amount of points we're spending, but not what we're spending them on.
            Abilities
            • Once again, no outline of what these are.
            • Good pro tip on caste and favoured abilities costing less later on. Good advice on character optimisation.
            Merits
            • Some more examples here could have helped, although the examples there are are good. Possibly I'm getting this feeling because I want to know all my options already, and we haven't got to the Merits section yet.

Charms
            • It's good that the rules point out everything is flexible and can be shuffled around to meet the Charm prerequisites.
            • Do evocations count as charms for the purposes of the 15? It's implied, but not stated. Just "select evocations along with charms"
            • A quick glance through evocations at the end and it looks like every artefact needs to have its own charm tree build for it, although I think there were hints at a more universal evocation tree underneath. That feels like a lot of work unless a player is happy with an "off the shelf" artefact.
            • Going through the charms section briefly to build a character, and I don't have a clue what most of them do, and don't want to spend the time reading them all in depth at this point. I've used MaddLetter's charm cascades for now, which are so much simpler than the actual rules at character creation. I know they probably haven't been updated since the Backer PDF, but they'll do for this exercise. On a quick flick through, the charms chapter itself feels pretty useless for getting a brief feel for charms.
            Intimacies
            • Don't know what these are for on the initial read-through, so can't comment. Requirements noted.
            • On a quick scan of the relevant section, they feel really cool. Many of these!
            • The Limit Trigger rules feel like they could wind up unbalanced if they are left purely to players.
            Bonus Points
            • The ability to spend them at any time is super helpful, but may be confusing to players who don't have the conversion rates down pat. As it is, I ended up buying charms in my 15 that I realised afterwards I didn't have the abilities for, and then topped them up at the bonus points "stage".
            Things to Think About
            • Shouldn't this have been earlier in the chapter?
            Circles
            • This is good, although it might be worth designing characters with the Circle in mind. That does rather depend on the players and the game, but I tend to find that character concepts written without regard for other characters and/or having a built in "plays well together" element tend to pull in difficult directions.
            Sidebar of Miscellaneous Stuff
            • The experienced Solar option seems ok, but I'm not a numbers guy.
            • Staying Alive is good. I can feel the combat ability mandate being fought against by some players who don't want to play combat characters ("but I want to play a hermit pacifist uber-calligrapher!"), but it probably helps to hammer home the need for survival at this stage.
            Character Creation Summary
            • This mentions talking with other players at the initial concept stage. Good.
            • Shouldn't the caste descriptions be listed at the point that the player selects their character's caste? Having the descriptions and the caste abilities split out entirely from the process meant it was ever so slightly awkward to find them. Having the summary of the castes at Step 1, and then the caste abilities for each in Step 2 I think would have felt more natural.
            • Also, telling a player to look at the caste abilities on page 127 when they're just opposite on the same page seems a bit pointless.
            • Step 6 mentions limit trigger in the title but doesn't provide a quick "flick to" reference, or even mention it, in the summary.
            • Also, what's this "Anima" biz on the character sheet? I know that it gets talked about later (like everything else), but coming at it totally fresh I'd think I missed something.
            Example of Character Creation
            • I felt like this could have helped more if it was split out among the various sections, rather than lumped together at the end. But that may just be personal preference.
            • What is "binging"? Conjugate the verb to bing... I know it's meant to be derived from a binge, but I seem to think "bingeing" would be the correct spelling, but not sure. We're verging on neologism creation here...
            This was quite an easy-to-read section, with stuff fairly simply laid out, if you don't mind wading through text. The advice on character building is stellar for someone who doesn't have the nous to go through the system thinking about optimal builds etc. I think the layout could have been done better though, and the quick reference page in particular feels like it's not quick referencey enough (lots of blocks of text, and references to elsewhere). The section as a whole feels too reliant on stuff people haven't read yet.

Comment

In addition to reading this chapter, I've created a character to go through the process.
              Intro Fiction

Nice snappy text about a Liminal's day job in the North. Only gripe is it uses the term "po", which isn't defined anywhere else. I know what it's getting at, because of Kindred of the East, but bad ghosts either aren't called that anywhere else, or it happens so rarely that I missed it.

Preparation
              • Thank you! So few books mention talking to the ST about what sort of game they'll run. I guess it's more necessary in Exalted because of the scope of the setting and the power of the characters, but it needs to happen in every game as a first step.
              • Is there a reason the dot-ratings is explained in words, without the dot illustrations of other Storyteller games? I imagine pace, but it makes it a bit more difficult to take in.
              Concept & Caste
              • This might just be me, but the concept examples feel veerrrrry broad at this point. Which makes it a little difficult to get into the interesting details of a character.
              Attributes
              • Nice and simple. Although it might have helped to list the attributes that fall into each category at this point. We know the amount of points we're spending, but not what we're spending them on.
              Abilities
              • Good pro tip on caste and favoured abilities costing less later on. Good advice on character optimisation.
              Merits
              • Some more examples here could have helped, although the examples there are are good. Possibly I'm getting this feeling because I want to know all my options already, and we haven't got to the Merits section yet.

Charms
              • It's good that the rules point out everything is flexible and can be shuffled around to meet the Charm prerequisites.
              • Do evocations count as charms for the purposes of the 15? It's implied, but not stated. Just "select evocations along with charms"
              • A quick glance through evocations at the end and it looks like every artefact needs to have its own charm tree build for it, although I think there were hints at a more universal evocation tree underneath. That feels like a lot of work unless a player is happy with an "off the shelf" artefact.
              • Going through the charms section briefly to build a character, and I don't have a clue what most of them do, and don't want to spend the time reading them all in depth at this point. I've used MaddLetter's charm cascades for now, which are so much simpler than the actual rules at character creation. I know they probably haven't been updated since the Backer PDF, but they'll do for this exercise. On a quick flick through, the charms chapter itself feels pretty useless for getting a brief feel for charms.
              Intimacies
              • Don't know what these are for on the initial read-through, so can't comment. Requirements noted.
              • On a quick scan of the relevant section, they feel really cool. Many of these!
              • The Limit Trigger rules feel like they could wind up unbalanced if they are left purely to players.
              Bonus Points
              • The ability to spend them at any time is super helpful, but may be confusing to players who don't have the conversion rates down pat. As it is, I ended up buying charms in my 15 that I realised afterwards I didn't have the abilities for, and then topped them up at the bonus points "stage".
              Things to Think About
              Circles
              • This is good, although it might be worth designing characters with the Circle in mind. That does rather depend on the players and the game, but I tend to find that character concepts written without regard for other characters and/or having a built in "plays well together" element tend to pull in difficult directions.
              Sidebar
              • Staying Alive is good. I can feel the combat ability mandate being fought against by some players who don't want to play combat characters ("but I want to play a hermit pacifist uber-calligrapher!"), but it probably helps to hammer home the need for survival at this stage.
              • Shouldn't the caste descriptions be listed at the point that the player selects their character's caste? Having the descriptions and the caste abilities split out entirely from the process meant it was ever so slightly awkward to find them. Having the summary of the castes at Step 1, and then the caste abilities for each in Step 2 I think would have felt more natural.
              • Also, telling a player to look at the caste abilities on page 127 when they're just opposite on the same page seems a bit pointless.
              • Step 6 mentions limit trigger in the title but doesn't provide a quick "flick to" reference, or even mention it, in the summary.
              • Also, what's this "Anima" biz on the character sheet? I know that it gets talked about later (like everything else), but coming at it totally fresh I'd think I missed something.
              • I felt like this could have helped more if it was split out among the various sections, rather than lumped together at the end. But that may just be personal preference.
              • What is "binging"? Conjugate the verb to bing... I know it's meant to be derived from a binge, but I seem to think "bingeing" would be the correct spelling, but not sure. We're verging on neologism creation here...
              This was quite an easy-to-read section, with stuff fairly simply laid out, if you don't mind wading through text. The advice on character building is stellar for someone who doesn't have the nous to go through the system thinking about optimal builds etc. I think the layout could have been done better though, and the quick reference page in particular feels like it's not quick referencey enough (lots of blocks of text, and references to elsewhere). The section as a whole feels too reliant on stuff people haven't read yet.

Comment

In addition to reading this chapter, I've created a character to go through the process.

Intro Fiction
                • Nice snappy text about a Liminal's day job in the North. Only gripe is it uses the term "po", which isn't defined anywhere else. I know what it's getting at, because of Kindred of the East, but bad ghosts either aren't called that anywhere else, or it happens so rarely that I missed it.
                Preparation
                Concept & Caste
                Attributes
                Abilities
                Merits
                Charms
                Intimacies
                Bonus Points
                Things to Think About
                Circles
                Miscellaneous Sidebar
                Last edited by Xerxes; 04-25-2016, 08:04 AM. Reason: Formatting corrections

Comment

[B][*]What is "binging"? Conjugate the verb to bing... I know it's meant to be derived from a binge, but I seem to think "bingeing" would be the correct spelling, but not sure. We're verging on neologism creation here...
                  http://grammarist.com/spelling/bingeing-or-binging/

Internet tells me they're both correct, but that "binging" is used more often.

Comment

Oh, since we're getting into the mechanics, let me just mention something in general:

Some of the systems that LOOK a little clunky in print actually perform well in play. I'm sure as you get to them, some of us watchers can chime in with on-table experience.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                      Oh, since we're getting into the mechanics, let me just mention something in general:

Some of the systems that LOOK a little clunky in print actually perform well in play. I'm sure as you get to them, some of us watchers can chime in with on-table experience.
                      Now now. Let him form his own conclusions.

This is a long running argument on the forums. Let's see what a new guy thinks without anyone running spin control :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Now now. Let him form his own conclusions.

This is a long running argument on the forums. Let's see what a new guy thinks without anyone running spin control :P
                        Alright, alright. :P Though I didn't mention WHAT systems. All I can do is have him read over a system, say "That sounds complicated", and then someone can pop in and say "Eh, use it once or twice at the table and it falls into place"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Alright, alright. :P Though I didn't mention WHAT systems. All I can do is have him read over a system, say "That sounds complicated", and then someone can pop in and say "Eh, use it once or twice at the table and it falls into place"
                          You could. But then someone who disagrees will interject and then you'll feel the need to respond and the and then and then and then....

Suddenly the thread is fifty pages long and who is Xerxes again?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

You could. But then someone who disagrees will interject and then you'll feel the need to respond and the and then and then and then....

Suddenly the thread is fifty pages long and who is Xerxes again?
                            ... Who? (jk)

Eh, I promise not to get too extended, and if I feel like making it a debate I'll take it to PMs. I'd say Scout's Honor, but I was never a scout, so... The sentiment is there.

Comment

... "By the laws of Heaven, the gods of Creation cannot intercede in the world". So how do they monitor and correct things? My contradiction alarm is ringing...
                              It should be noted that the way that deities work in a Bureaucracy is very Taoist. It's just assumed gods can do that sorta stuff and that they actually do have a lot of records on things like how a particular river should flow. The issue is that these days there's a lot of....breakdown on how that works out.

... Why are Gaia and the gods' creators not explained here? I know enough of 2E lore to know what they are, and that there is an attempt to create distance here, but as it's written it has an odd ontology. Is Gaia a god that was passed over? If not, why are she and the rest of the creators not detailed in this section?...
                              The enemies of the gods are dead or in Hell (as noted with Yozis and Neverborn in the Lexicon). Gaia and them aren't detailed since they're not major actual actors. They're setpieces more and so are kind of treated like that I think.

... Page 62 has the first mention of God-bloods. What are these things? I have an inkling, but they aren't mentioned anywhere in the section about gods, that I saw. ...
                              Demigods in the more classical sense. The offspring of human and spriits. This is how you get your more direct Heracles or Simus.

... The Thousand Scales gets mentioned very early on, and not really elaborated. Are they the Realm's tax collectors and customs officials? Although their possibly more direct involvement with the ports makes me think of the East India Company. ...
                              It's the general term for the Realm's entire government besides the Legions and the Houss mainly. The professional bureaucracy. Think China or Byzantium in that regard.

... So how did the Empress run things, exactly? The set-up feels like a constitutional monarchy, with a veto that actually matters from the monarch. So why is the monarch actually vital? This section doesn't explain that. ...
                              She more or less let the Deliberative exist to run things if she didn't feel like it. Note the entire Realm exists because she has the Biggest God-Damned Gun and it serves as her way to rule the world. She ruled pretty much as an inscrutable stoic dictator that would have made the Qin Shi Huang Emperor happy.

... The summaries of the various Houses are neat. Good themes and spheres of influence. Knowing where they are geographically would have been a further help. Or are they all bickering together on the Blessed Isle?...
                              They have various territory on the Isle and manage the satrapies beyond it. Remember that the Realm's empire is one which has the Isle as its core (Italy to the Rome of it) and the rest of the world as the "provinces" so to speak. So they're kind of weird fantasy extraterritorial megacorps in a way.

... Outcaste dragonblooded come up ever and anon. From the context it's clear that they're Dragon-blooded that aren't part of the Realm's governmental machinery, but what does that mean in terms of how they operate? Are they repatriated in some way or adopted by a Great House? Are they killed so their Exaltation can be freed up for the "right" sort of person? Anything between these extremes? I'm curious, and get no answers from this section. ...
                              Depends. Lots of outcastes just wander being heroes. Most are repatriated though. Remember that Terrestrial Exaltations don't reincarnate. And murdering someone for being born in the wrong body isn't their fault. Just strange karma.

Immaculate Philosophy, YAY! I really like the description of this.But it feels like the priesthood and the Realm are SO intertwined that you won't ever get Immaculate believers outside of the Realm. Which feels... artificial to me, even if it is purely made to justify the Realm.
                              The Immaculate Order is separate from the Immaculate Philosophy, which is kind of important. It's kind of like how, for instance, you had Catholicism as the offical Roman religion for a bit, but you had Christian kingdoms like the Germanic ones, Coptic Egypt and Ethiopia about. A few of its tenets actually are not especially Realm-specific. They're actually Dragon-Blooded related since it was the Shogunate government religion and such.

... The Silver exchange rate feels totally separated out from the cash & jade systems, which interlink on some level. Am I missing something, or is silver purely a tool with which to bleed the vassals dry?...
                              Nope, you're about right on that actually.

... Several cities are mentioned that aren't marked on the map. Do we have to buy a Directional supplement simply to confirm information that's in the core?...
                              The map artist as I gather didn't follow notes as much as they could or there were some contradicitons in there. The Direction books aren't the best bet since the map changed a lot in 3e and there's actually a lot of places named in one edition not assumed to exist in the other too. So for now it's a matter of putting dots you think feel right until something comes along saying otherwise. The goal was to show breadth of possible locasl, not exhaustive description of them all.

... The map doesn't have a scale. Is it just a copy-paste of a section of the overall Realm book? Lazy. ...
                              On the full map it's a scale where a particular line = 500 miles. There might be a case in some of those areas you note as being near other settlements they are actually hundreds of miles apart. They could have done better in incorperating the map into the actual region sections, though.

... Hang on, there are Liminals openly operating in the Scavenger Lands? And, I assume, everywhere else outside of the Blessed Isle and Threshold? Doesn't that cheapen the whole notion of hiding Exaltation, if the Wild Hunt is stopped by border control?...
                              It mattered elss when there were fewer Solars and a unified army to say "fuck you, we're coming in". Border control for areas save the

... They're called Anathema in Gem? Does the Realm's power extend that far? That needs to be spelled out. ...
                              The Immaculate Philosophy predates the Realm. Pretty much everyone in Creation calls Solar and Lunar Exalted Anathema.

... That's actually something that's been bugging me for a while... there are only hints of places that are Realm satrapies or not. It feels very up to the ST how far the Realm's power extends in each direction, apart from a few key cities. That is fine in itself, but either being told it's up to us to outline where the Realm has satrapies and where it doesn't, or more precisely where such boundaries are, would be helpful. Or are they all Realm Satrapies and I missed the text which says this?...
                              Most of the land in the Inner Sea is controlled by the Realm, save teh Scavenger Sons. And a good deal in from that, save the really far away stuff like the Dreaming Sea. They don't give hard borders I Think since they want to be sure you can drop a palce in easily. Think of it as kind of drawing negative space with what's there, rather than saying "There's no satrap this far out" and thus closing off you know, having a satrapy there.

... Are Poles actual physical places, or just a way of talking about the extreme instances of any particular element? I'm not clear on this, and I'm not sure the book is either. ...
                              Places. They're in the Lexicon actually. The Imperial Mountain is the Pole of Earth and where things get anchored and balanced (ala Earth in feng shui). As you move towards the four others, the environment becomes affected by its nature and by the time you're nearly on them it's nearly purely that element comprising of everything a syou get away from teh anchor of the omphalos. They're far enougha way to probably be off of the map, but something you can get to if you can survive. Or climb a tall-ass mountain, there's that too.

... "As the West is the least populous and accessible part of the Threshold" OK, so the Directions are part of the Threshold? I must have missed that earlier, it's the first time that's registered with me. ...
                              Yep. According to the Lexicon, basically any not-Blessed Isle part of the world.

... Random thought - is there actually any narrative need for the Great Contagion? The population needs to be almost wiped out so that the Wyld can encroach, but why have this be an external Because Plot Says So event? Wouldn't it be more interesting (and potentially make the current crisis in the Realm more urgent) if it was simply that the Shogunate tore itself and most of Creation to pieces using the Solar's weapons? Misunderstandings of how they functioned and resultant "ooops" moments could also produce significant collateral damage, and the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress could provoke "remember what it was like last time this happened" terror among historians. Or was the Contagion an explicit concoction of the Fae, to prepare for their invasion? Having a Random Apocalypse Disease out of nowhere when there are plenty of ways to engineer death with the existing narrative tools feels odd to me....
                              Couple things. It's to kind of have a nice "clean slate" between teh Shogunate and the Age of Sorrows I think. It also allows the Empress to have a bit of the "You know I saved the world, right?" thing that empires often use to kind of justify their actions. It also kind of creates a nice world crisis situationt hat allowed a lot of the world's cultures to have a fresh slate for seven centuries to build on and fork from the previous monopower(ish) hegemony from before.

Interesting review so far. Keep it up.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Oh, forgot to copy-paste this back in:

... Jupiter's Chosen keep quiet? OK, Jupiter in Exalted is very different to Classical Jupiter. And everything else mapped so nicely... Although sticking Saturn in with the rest feels a bit weird....
                                I'm actually curious what's so odd about Saturn here? I think something to think on is that what the Incarna are tangently related to the Roman names, they're also themed on a buncha other stuff. And their names relate to being the five classical planets, more than being anything to do with the Roman gods themselves in depth, I think.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Working...
                                X