A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
    Some really nice effects in there, I have quite the itch to build a serene rock type character now, with Integrity, Resistance and Martial Arts of some kind.[
    A lot of people posting their experiences have reported that Resistance + Brawl = Fun Times.

(One of those people is me, I had a GMPC with Supernal Resistance and used Brawl. FUN TIMES.)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

A lot of people posting their experiences have reported that Resistance + Brawl = Fun Times.

(One of those people is me, I had a GMPC with Supernal Resistance and used Brawl. FUN TIMES.)
      For my group's Arena games, I built a Zenith Resistance-Supernal Brawler with Sorcery just to have ISoB. He's like Rocky, just keeps fighting until the other guy is exhausted and dies.

Comment

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=arial]When would an armour's mobility penalty be 0 anyway?
        Light armor has base mobility penalty of 0. You wouldn't know that now since that's later, but it didn't strike me as particularly paradigm shattering to reveal that.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• With several effects that apply every round, this tree has made me realise: nothing says when exactly effects like WKE's restoration kick in. I assume bonus motes happen at the start of the Solar's turn, but what about everything else?

Unless specified otherwise
          I would use the same rule as for replenishing Essence:
          Originally posted by Ex3 p. 174
          Characters with mote pools regain five motes of Essence at the end of each round while in combat ...
          I really don't get how new damage is applied if the Solar is at -4 and heals with this charm. Does it go to the lowest level, or the highest? The wording is really foggy.

Not sure what is foggy about the charm, it does not affect how damage is applied at all, it only affects how it is healed. Damage in general is always applied to the highest available slot -0, -1, -2, -4.

Comment

• Ride

Master Horseman’s Techniques
            • Exalt is a master equestrian, using ancient techniques to control her mount in difficult times.
            • Choose three of the following effects: spend a mote to not fall off the horse and gain benefits vs unhorse attacks; spend a mote to call the mount to your side; spend a mote to perfectly recognise a mount's strength and weaknesses; spend a mote and touch the mount to sustain a speed for two hours without exhausting the creature or losing shoes; spend a mote to stop the mount from panicking; may ride for twice as long without sustenance or rest, and does not develop saddles sores. Additional effects can be bought at 2xp or 1 bonus point each.
            • A multiple-ability charm where you can't get all of them? Why isn't this multiple charms? My gut feeling on realising the branches wasn't "yay, variety!", it was "oh no, more notes required".
            Flashing Thunderbolt Steed
            • Solar confers part of her energy to her mount.
            • Mount can run at full speed for an hour without being fatigued, and gains an auto-success towards all movement and balance-related actions. Can use Graceful Crane Stance and Monkey Leap Technique while mounted.
            Elusive Mount Technique
            • The Exalt can turn her mount on a sixpence.
            • Can reflexively disengage while mounted.
            Wind-Racing Essence Infusion
            • Solar pumps Essence into the reins, moving with incredible speed.
            • Lasts for an hour, with no committed motes. Costs less if FTS is active. Adds auto-successes to ride actions and races, and gets bonus initiative in a mounted rush. Amount of ground covered in narrative time is greatly reduced. If the charm is renewed after an hour, it doesn't cost willpower.
            Single Spirit Method
            • The Solar and her mount are one.
            • If the mount loses its footing, it can reflexively rise from prone, and the Solar is not thrown in so doing, nor is the mount injured.
            • Can mounts not normally rise from prone?
            Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach
            • The Solar's heart and her mount's beat as one.
            • Mount gets its own initiative track, starting with the same initiative as the Solar. Commanding the mount to make a Ride-based action no longer takes up the Solar's movement action for a turn.
            Worthy Mount Technique
            • Mount can take reflexive defend actions to defend the Solar, paying initiative to do so. Increases mount's Parry and Defence while it does so, up to 5. While guarding the Solar, its damage rolls gain Essence-based dice.
            Mount Preservation Method
            • The Solar's life and her mount's are intertwined.
            • When the mount suffers a decisive attack, the Solar may substitute one of her own health levels to neutralise the damage to her mount. Solar must be riding her mount to use this charm.
            • So... you can make the mount go at lightning speed with FTS and not be mounted on it!? This is the first charm that's mentioned you must be mounted. I'd assumed that this was always the case fro Ride charms.
            • Would this be a good place for a "the Solar can kill herself with this charm" note, a la some Medicine charm with a name I can't remember?
            Harmonious Tacking Technique
            • Solar instils a mount's gear with Essence, and it aids in getting the mount prepared.
            • Fully tack a mount in either one or two turns. Needs to be used twice to apply armour to a mount, and again to apply weapons.
            Untouchable Horseman’s Attitude
            • No flavour text.
            • Automatically succeed at a disengage action so long as there is only one opponent in close range.
            Immortal Charger’s Gallop
            • Solar gives the mount a brief Essence boost.
            • Convert the mount's speed bonus to auto-successes for a single action or one interval of an extended action. If the mount has a negative speed bonus, set it to zero. Does not affect penalties from barding.
            Supernal Lash Discipline
            • Lawgiver has divine riding skills.
            • Double mount's speed for a scene. Used without Flashing Thunderbolt Steed, this kills mortal mounts. With FTS, mount just needs to rest. Charm ends if the Solar is crashed.
            Speed-Fury Focus
            • Solar feels her mount's agitation, and focuses it into a burst of speed.
            • Pay motes to apply Immortal Charger's Gallop's bonus to Join Battle rolls.
            • ...I think? It's not totally clear why ICG could be applied to Join Battle. Is it simply that ICG grants auto-successes, which can be used in Join Battle with this charm?
            Inexhaustible Destrier’s Gait
            • No flavour text.
            • Mount's wound penalties do not apply to speed and determining unsteady footing for one round.
            Coursing Firebolt Flash
            • Solar lashes reality with her reins, and pushes it aside to go YET FASTER.
            • Supplements a rush, disengage or withdraw action, or single interval of a race, adding one auto-success and and rerolling 1s until they fail to appear. Higher cost version leaves a trail of anima in her wake, which doesn't consume scenery but does burn for an hour and does damage like a bonfire. These are visible for miles, and can be seen by sightless characters. If Solar knows Onrush Burst Method, the effect kicks in while using CFF, but motes gathered must be used on Ride charms.
            Saddle-Staying Courses
            • Solar can ride the tides of creation on her loyal steed.
            • Can recover from an unhorse gambit without falling from the saddle. Rebounds on air back into her seat. Also works on attacks and effects that would drag her from the saddle or propel her away from it.
            Horse-Stealing Leap
            • Unhorse a rider and seize the reins.
            • Supplements an unhorse gambit, allowing the Solar to leap into the saddle. On foot, it works from close range. If mounted, works from short range. Athletics charms can also be used to extend the range. If used to get her own mount back, the gambit auto-succeeds.
            Immortal Rider’s Advantage
            • Solar and mount share an intrinsic bond.
            • While mounted, Solar and mount can freely transfer initiative at any time.
            Horse-Healing Technique
            • Exalted gives life to sustain her companion.
            • In a scene-long dramatic action, Exalt takes a level of lethal or bashing to heal Essence-based levels of lethal or bashing in her mount. May be combined with Survival and Medicine charms.
            • Can this be use multiple times in the same scene, if it's a dramatic action? I don't see why not, but the rules don't call it either way.
            Rousing Backlash Assault
            • No flavour text.
            • When both Worthy Mount Technique and Seasoned Beast-Rider Method have been used, the mount may give a
            • This feels like it could be quite situational, but both the use prerequisites strike me as fairly standard activations for a mounted Exalt.
            Woe and Storm Evasion
            • The Exalt's mastery of riding saves her mount's life.
            • Withering attacks that would have crashed the mount leave it on 1 initiative. A decisive attack that would have killed it leave it with 1 health level. Cannot be used to stop attacks if the mount is already at those points.
            Resilience of the Chosen Mount
            • Solar blesses the mount with Essence.
            • Pay motes to remove successes from a damage roll vs the mount equal to the 1s and 2s in the roll.
            Phantom Steed
            • Solar summons a mount made of Essence.
            • Creates a warhorse that never tires, hungers, thirsts, or sleeps. Cannot be intimidated, and is always loyal. Lasts for one day.
            • Why not make the duration indefinite? As it's a reflexive charm, it's a simple thing to recast each morning. Unless it's meant to drain motes and willpower every day? Or at least give the option of paying xp to make it permanent or something.
            • Is the illustration on p.384 meant to be this power? If so, the colours are seriously wrong.
            Hero Rides Away
            • Lawgiver draws strength from her bond with her mount.
            • Whenever Exalt enters a combat scene or survives a dangerous situation while riding her mount, gains motes and willpower. When the Solar achieves a goal with the help of her mount, subtract a point of Limit.
            Phantom Rider’s Approach
            • Horse and rider melt away when the Solar disengages.
            • Moves Solar and mount 2 range bands away if the enemy approaches after a successful disengage action.
            Fierce Charger’s Pulse
            • The Lawgiver draws strength from her mount's rage.
            • For every 10 rolled in an interval in a race or a rush or disengage action, the Solar gains motes that can only be spent on Ride charms. These fade if they are not used by the next turn.
            • FINALLY a sensible way of handling "can only be used on" motes! Make them temporary! why wasn't this applied elesewhere! Ride, I am now spectacularly happy with you. Go and show your work to the rest of the class, they can learn from you.
            Grizzled Cataphract’s Way
            • So long as she is in the saddle, the Lawgiver does not give way to exhaustion.
            • Roll Join Battle with the higher or Ride or Awareness while in the saddle, and ignore all penalties related to exhaustion.
            • Are there codified penalties relating to exhaustion anywhere? Or is this yet more flags for the ST to make things up on the fly?
            Rapid Cavalry Approach
            • Solar infuses her mount's body with Essence, making it lighter, faster and stronger.
            • Must be at extreme range from all opponents. Allows mounts to move 3 range bands per turn, at a varying cost depending on their natural speed. Decreases to 2 range bands per turn at long range. Charm ends if the Solar or mount attack an opponent, or if the Solar is crashed.
            Sometimes Horses Fly Approach
            • Solar touches her mount and gives it Essence, teaching it to run on air.
            • Mount can move across and up the sky, or on water.
            Soaring Pegasus Style
            • Solar and mount leap as one towards their target.
            • Can attempt a rush vs an aerial target while suing Sometimes Horses Fly Approach at any range. If successful, result is exactly like a successful rush. If the target is moving away, the mount can close at a rate of an additional range band per turn. If Solar pursues the target using the prerequisite for more than 2 turns, drop the willpower cost.
            Whirlwind Horse-Armoring Prana
            • The Solar draws her mount's gear out of the air, and they leap onto its body. Flavour-crunch blur.
            • Barding comes from Elsewhere and is strapped on in a turn, with no effort from the Solar. Pays one mote for each set of gear (tack, barding, weapons). Can do this without dismounting. Can pay motes to send everything Elsewhere. At Essence 4+, pay a slightly higher cost to instantly kit out the mount in everything. Compatible with Glorious Solar Plate, applying that charm's effects to the barding for extra motes.
            Bard-Lightening Prana
            • Solar infuses the mount's barding with Essence. Flavour-crunch blur.
            • Barding carries no mobility penalties for a day.
            Untouchable Solar Steed
            • Solar knows she is a threat to the steed's life while riding, and protects it accordingly.
            • Solar's Dodge charms can be used by the mount.
            Wrathful Mount Invigoration
            • The mount knows it carries the Sun on its back, and will take no shit, son.
            • Mount gains initiative every round after Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach is used to join battle. When the Solar gets more successes in an opposed Ride-based action than an opponent in a race, the Solar gets as many motes as she got successes over her opponent. At Essence 4+, mount's base initiative is increased.
            Seven Cyclones Rearing
            • Steed strikes an attack aside with one of its own.
            • When using Worthy Mount Technique and using Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach in Join Battle, can make a reflexive clash decisive attack against an attempt to hit the rider. If the attack is withering and the rider is on base or lower initiative, ignore the willpower cost.
            General notes:
            • It feels a bit like too many of these charms are purely about going faster.
            • I'm liking the Athletics synergy in this tree a lot. It does feel a little expensive to do, but the effects are great.
            • There are a lot of charms that talk about the bond between rider and mount, but none of them actually require the rider and mount to have worked together before. Is that an oversight? The way they're worded I would have expected some duration of time together before they actually worked.
            • In general, a lot of these charms feel SO much simpler than most other abilities. Which makes for nice reading. And it felt a lot quicker.
            Next up, Sail!
            Last edited by Xerxes; 06-17-2016, 07:14 AM. Reason: Cursed spacing...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
            Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Single Spirit Method
              • If the mount loses its footing, it can reflexively rise from prone, and the Solar is not thrown in so doing, nor is the mount injured.
              • Can mounts not normally rise from prone?

Not reflexively no, its a normal action to stand from prone but a reflexive action is "free".

Comment

Master Horseman’s Techniques[LIST][*]Exalt is a master equestrian, using ancient techniques to control her mount in difficult times.[*]Choose three of the following effects: spend a mote to not fall off the horse and gain benefits vs unhorse attacks; spend a mote to call the mount to your side; spend a mote to perfectly recognise a mount's strength and weaknesses; spend a mote and touch the mount to sustain a speed for two hours without exhausting the creature or losing shoes; spend a mote to stop the mount from panicking; may ride for twice as long without sustenance or rest, and does not develop saddles sores. Additional effects can be bought at 2xp or 1 bonus point each.[*]A multiple-ability charm where you can't get all of them? Why isn't this multiple charms? My gut feeling on realising the branches wasn't "yay, variety!", it was "oh no, more notes required".
                It's not multiple charms because the effects aren't powerful enough to be multiple charms. They're worth about 2 xp a go, not 8 or 10.

Comment

• If I had my druthers, almost every ability would open up with a charm like or akin to Master Horseman's Techniques. It's one of the charm design examples I actually enjoy from EX3.

Comment

• They feel like a way to give more abilities to characters who are already have many, many abilities to keep track of to me. I can see the appeal of it as an opening charm however, which allows for different trees based on what abilities are chosen. That is a neat feature, but again feels like it's adding yet more bookkeeping.

As an aside, I may be overreacting to all this. Seeing everything that you could possibly have to keep track of at once is really daunting. However, not every party is going to have to deal with every possibility, so it may not be too bad in actual play.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

However, not every party is going to have to deal with every possibility, so it may not be too bad in actual play.
                      Yeah In my games each person is tracking one or two of the fiddly bits, but nobody has more than 3 of them.

Comment

• Sail

Salty Dog Method
                        • Solar is the perfect mariner.
                        • Reroll 6s on Sail rolls until 6s no longer appear. Add half the Exalt's Sail to the Exalt's Resolve against fear effects caused by monsters. Fall onto your feet and never fall from a ship. Exalt knows the exact route and distance to and from anywhere she's been.
                        • The Resolve effect doesn't mention "on a ship"
                        Shipwreck-Surviving Stamina
                        • Solar has suffered while at sea, and come out better for it.
                        • Solar's stamina is considered 2 higher than its actual value when resisting suffocating, dehydration and starvation.
                        • Good pointer to where the actual rules are!
                        Fathoms-Fed Spirit
                        • Solar's resolve is steeled by a life spent on ships.
                        • If Solar woke up onboard ship and away from land, she can ignore the willpower cost to resist one social influence per day, to be used at the player's discretion.
                        • Why the call out that this was discretionary? I assumed it always would be, by virtue of the "she may" wording. Meh.
                        Safe Bearing Technique
                        • Solar can conquer the darkest of seas through resolve and skill.
                        • Creates an ongoing dramatic action to navigate the ship through a hazard. Gain bonus non-charm dice for features Solar is unfamiliar with, non-charm auto-successes for ones she's successfully passed before. Bonus applies to each roll to avoid the hazard, not once for each hazard.
                        Ship-Claiming Stance
                        • The Essence of a ship knows its master.
                        • Solar can claim a ship. Anyone is not welcomed aboard by the Solar takes a penalty on all actions taken aboard until they are formally greeted. This penalty can be reinstated at any time. If the Exalt's intimacy towards the ship becomes Major or Defining, she can draw motes from the ship once a day while aboard. Doing this for more than one ship causes them to dissipate at the end of the round.
                        • When will you ever be on 2 ships that you have Major plus intimacies for in one round?
                        • The wording implies that the ship takes up a slot of a familiar here, but doesn't actually state it. Bad writing or something else?
                        Ship-Sleeking Technique
                        • Solar channels her Essence through the hull, smoothing the ship's timbers.
                        • Ship's speed is increased by one.
                        Orichalcum Letters of Marque
                        • The Solar has the authority to press gang things of the night and become Barbossa from PoC.
                        • Solar can extend her welcome to these creatures, allowing them to not suffer from social influence that affect creatures of the night while engaged int he ship's operation, nor do they take damage from the Solar's anima effects. Lawgiver can revoke this benefit at any time.
                        Example Hazard sidebar
                        • Nice evocative example hazard.
                        • Need to know how big it is, where it is etc. I know it's an example, but is it a place you'll encounter for days on the open sea, or is it somewhere in the depths of some fjords that you'll clear in an hour if you know what you're doing, and weeks if you don't? This may well be left up to the ST, but knowing things like how many successes required to get through it (we just get a difficulty number, not anything else) would be illustrative.
                        Immortal Mariner’s Advantage
                        • Exalt hones multiple lifetimes of mariner experience as she guides things that sail.
                        • Pay motes to either get double 9s, reroll 1s until 1s stop, or both.
                        Legendary Captain’s Signature
                        • Exalt fashions all her Essence into one perfect manoeuvre, which allows her to steer the most wretched ship like it were a pristine clipper.
                        • Double the ship's manoeuvrability and increase the speed by 1.
                        Sea Ambush Technique
                        • The Solar's ship is an Omen of something. Exactly what depends on who you are and what it's doing.
                        • Add the ship's speed to a concealment roll.
                        Deck-Sweeping Fusillade
                        • Solar's actions make her crew want to WIN, making them better at preparing to fire.
                        • Adds Essence-based dice to a naval manoeuvre roll, and treats the result as being Essence points higher than it is.
                        • Isn't this double-counting? I suppose I shouldn't complain.
                        Ship-Breaker Method
                        • Solar enhances the ram of her ship with Essence, making it cut through enemy ships more easily.
                        • Causes a ram action to do 1 more level of damage. Automatically defeats a broadside, cancelling it. Something about avoiding transparency.
                        • So the game encourages transparency in some areas and non-transparency in others? I don't really see the point in having no transparency here. Or at least, not for one specific charm.
                        Superior Positioning Technique
                        • Solar guides her ship with Essence to oppose an enemy.
                        • Treat opponent's 1s as Exalt's 10s on a positioning manoeuvre. Automatically evades ramming manoeuvres. Same avoidance of transparency as before.
                        • Why this lack of transparency? Should we start doing the same thing for offensive and defensive charms in melee or something? Because HELL NO.
                        Ship-Imperiled Vigor
                        • Exalt knows peril at sea well, and is enlivened by it.
                        • When ship she's onboard takes hull damage, Exalt gains bonus dice equal to that damage. Can be applied to any action in defence of ship or crew, but not to Naval Manoeuvres or Pursuit rolls.
                        Weather-Anticipating Intuition
                        • Solar's Essence is linked to the waves, and they speak to her through it.
                        • Solar touches a body of water and can know the weather along her course of travel for the next Essence-based hours. This can be messed around with only by powerful weather-changing magic.
                        • Why isn't this a survival charm of some sort?
                        Tide-Cutting Essence Infusion
                        • Solar's Essence envelops the ship's water-line and makes it move quicker.
                        • Ship's speed is increased while this charm is active. Incompatible with Wave-Riding Discipline.
                        Wave-Riding Discipline
                        • Solar's Essence picks the ship up so that it glides over the water.
                        • Sails are twice as effective. Gets an additional bonus for favourable currents. Oar-based bonus reduced to 1 or lower, and cannot benefit from speed bonuses derived from being towed. Incompatible with Tide-Cutting Essence Infusion.
                        Hull-Preserving Technique
                        • Solar infuses her ship with Essence, absorbing the damage into her anima.
                        • Effect activated at the moment of impact, negating all damage to hull and masts. Can protect an area based on her current position onboard and an Essence multiplier. Continuous damage (running aground, hidden rocks) requires multiple activations of the charm. Ignore the willpower cost for consecutive activations after the first.
                        Hull-Taming Transfusion
                        • Solar joins her Essence to the ship, trading damage to the ship for damage to herself.
                        • Pay motes at the moment of impact, at a rate of 3 health levels per 1 hull damage level.
                        Ship-Leavening Meditation
                        • Solar sends Essence into the ship and strengthens its frame.
                        • Negates the ship's hull penalty. Must be dropped and reactivated each time the penalty increases.
                        Indomitable Voyager’s Perseverance
                        • The Exalt senses a fault, and corrects her course.
                        • Exalt can reroll any Sail-based action, keeping successes and rerolling non-successes, and activating additional charms on the reroll if wished.
                        Ocean-Conquering Avatar
                        • Exalt reaches within her Essence, goes all trancy and weird, and is a super-sailor.
                        • One auto-success and a free full Sailing excellency are applied to the Exalt's next Sail roll. Can only be used once per scene.
                        Wind-Defying Course Technique
                        • Solar charges her ship's sails with Essence, can sail into the wind.
                        • Reduce wind-based penalties.
                        • Correct me if I missed it, but the sailing rules didn't explicitly flag penalties for sailing into the wind, did it? I remember being mildly outraged at this.
                        Current-Cutting Technique
                        • Solar uses Essence to break the water's grip on her ship.
                        • Reduce current-based penalties and those brought on by sea monsters that use currents against things (Charybdis etc).
                        Implacable Sea Wolf Spirit
                        • The Solar's ship apparently eats vessels.
                        • Reduce all momentum costs for naval combat manoeuvres for a scene.
                        Deadly Ichneumon Assault
                        • Essence fuels the ship's momentum.
                        • Automatically succeed at a shock and board action following a ram.
                        Rail-Storming Fervour
                        • Solar focuses her crew on the perfect moment to launch an assault.
                        • Add non-charm bonus dice to Join Battle for herself and crew.
                        • The Sail section was definitely written by someone different to whoever wrote most other charms. "Bonus dice from this Charm do not count as dice added by a Charm" rather than "non-charm dice"?
                        Sea Serpent Flash
                        • The Solar can see the movements of an enemy ship outlined in Essence, and positions hers to be in the perfect spot.
                        • Get double momentum from extra successes on a positioning manoeuvre.
                        Tide-Carried Omens
                        • Solar's eyes are keen for signs, and can see danger coming.
                        • Solar is aware of danger Essence-based minutes before it arrives, but doesn't know what it is. Gains Essence-based bonus dice to Awareness rolls to detect danger while onboard ship. Cannot detect things that mortal senses could not detect, but will help Awareness charms that do do this.
                        • How will it help them, exactly? Some pointers would be nice!
                        • What qualifies as "things that it would be impossible for mortal senses to notice" in this case? For example, does this charm activate to detect a ship hiding behind a promontory? The ship itself is detectable to mortal senses, but mortal senses cannot see through rocks, and by the time you've seen the ship it's too late. Does the charm apply in that case?
                        Chaos-Cutting Galley
                        • The Wyld is a dangerous place for a ship, and the Solar can defend against this using St Elmo's Fire. Flavour-crunch blur.
                        • Make a ship and its crew immune to the Wyld's influence as long as they remain onboard ship. Solar can activate this even when asleep.
                        Blood and Salt Bondage
                        • Solar calls on pacts between the Essence of Sea and Sky to awaken her ship's Essence, which enlivens the crew.
                        • All onboard gain health levels equal to the ship's hull rating, fading after being a month away from the ship. If the ship takes hull damage, these bonus levels disappear.
                        • If they disappear, do they take any damage levels they had with them, or are the crew suddenly hit by a ton of penalties? Doesn't say either way, I don't think.
                        Ship-Sustaining Spirit
                        • Solar makes the ship as tireless as she is, with Essence.
                        • When the ship is hit and would be destroyed, this charm can be activated to maintain it. It will be destroyed if it takes another level of damage. Multiple uses of this charm are required to maintain it against subsequent hits.
                        Burning Anima Sails
                        • Solar casts her anima into the sail of the ship.
                        • Anima display can be seen for miles. Ship is impervious to damage in the instant this charm is used. Functions as a sail if the ship's normal sails are destroyed. Undead, demons and other such creatures are terrified by the sail, giving them penalties to naval manoeuvres based on the Solar's Essence. Any creature of darkness that boards gets a constant -1 penalty. Restores normal sails when the charm's commitment is released, even if they were previously destroyed.
                        • Does this penalty apply to CoD who are under Orichalcum Letters of Marque from the same Solar? A phrase about cutting, noses and faces comes to mind if so.
                        Storm-Weathering Essence Infusion
                        • Storms are dangerous to ships.
                        • Add Essence-based auto-successes to Sail rolls to avoid storm damage.
                        Invincible Admiral Method
                        • Solar is master of the sea, and her actions inspire her followers.
                        • Through various methods, the Exalt sends messages to the fleet and those ships that can see them get bonus successes based on the Solar's Attribute + Sail roll. Roll must be made each round as orders get renewed, and stops if the Solar is unable to make orders for a time.
                        • This feels like it needs a map to be managed properly. It also doesn't mention a maximum range for the charm.
                        Sea Devil Training Technique
                        • Solars have previously quelled a rebellion of pirates by training people to be awesome.
                        • Give the crew one of the following after a month of training: Sail 4, soldier-level combat prowess, resistance to supernatural horror and hypnotic magic, boost to Larceny, Resistance or Survival, Willpower 6.
                        • I take it the motes are committed for that month?
                        • There's no note about what happens if the training is interrupted. Do the trainees have to start over or do they pick up where they left off?
                        Ship-Rolling Juggernaut Method
                        • No flavour text.
                        • When a Solar launches a manoeuvre that incapacitates an enemy vessel, activate this charm to keep all previous momentum and add some based on the enemy captain's Essence rating.
                        • What happens vs mortal captains? Do mortals technically have Essence 1 even though they can't use it?
                        Ship-Razing Renewal
                        • Solar gets a kick out of sinking ships.
                        • After incapacitating an enemy ship, roll a free full Excellency. Get motes back equal to successes rolled, up to the number of motes spent this scene. May trade motes for willpower, but only 1 wp per ship destroyed.
                        • The wording of the wilpower regen makes it feel like they could destroy more than one ship when this charm activates. Which would make sense if this charm kicked in at the end of a combat, but it activates in the middle of combat. This confuses and annoys me.
                        Black Fathoms Blessed
                        • Exalt merges her Essence with that of the ship and the sea, to form one thing.
                        • Add ship's Speed as auto-successes to Solar's movement actions, and its Manoeuvrability to her defences (Defence?). Any magic that enhances the ship's stats only adds +1 to each of these. Can speak an ancient tongue that is understood by lots of watery things. Can drink salt water as if it were fresh, can never die from drowning.
                        These feel quite awesome, although I'm wondering how effective they'd be in a party situation. Is there much benefit to having more than one circle member with most of these charms? It feels like this tree could have a lot of redundant abilities if multiple people take from it.

I am feeling charm fatigue at this point. If I wasn't doing this review I would have stopped long before now, possibly having given up hope of understanding this part of the system. The sheer volume of these things, without a quick way to understand them (even MaddLetter's trees are dense), is really daunting. But anyway...

Next up, Socialise!

Last edited by Xerxes; 06-18-2016, 08:11 AM. Reason: Spacing, as always.

Comment

Sail

Salty Dog Method
                          • Solar is the perfect mariner.
                          • Reroll 6s on Sail rolls until 6s no longer appear. Add half the Exalt's Sail to the Exalt's Resolve against fear effects caused by monsters. Fall onto your feet and never fall from a ship. Exalt knows the exact route and distance to and from anywhere she's been.
                          • The Resolve effect doesn't mention "on a ship"
                          I assumed that the Resolve effect was for people who dip into Sail to get a tangible benefit for their land-based activities (as Sail is so niche). Maybe I'm wrong here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major View Post

I assumed that the Resolve effect was for people who dip into Sail to get a tangible benefit for their land-based activities (as Sail is so niche). Maybe I'm wrong here.
                            I think naratively it's suppost to be "i've seen Kraken and Leviathan, waves the size of the imperial mountain. What makes you think i fear you?' type of situations
                            Last edited by Fiikragg; 06-18-2016, 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer

Comment

• Yeah, it's supposed to represent the archetypal seasoned sailor. Even back on land, you carry what the sea's shown you with you.

Comment

• Because you are!
                                A man!
                                OF THE SEA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3-6UwhxcY < Context.

But yeah, like with Larceny, that does social influence along with a series of other things, Sail is a 'genre' ability: it comes with a whole archetype.

Comment

Working...
                                X