No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that sounds like there should be some Lunars cursing and holding their stepped-upon toes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
      Now that sounds like there should be some Lunars cursing and holding their stepped-upon toes.
      The solar charmset has a tendency, at high essence, to mimic other exalts a little as their power strains against the confines of their themes. A little bit of taking on animal characteristics to raise attributes, or the alternate use of the charm which gives you DB aspect markings, or screwing with fate, or whatever. That's okay as long as people don't take it too far.

If a solar needs to be essence 3 or supernal to get it, and any DB/Lunar/Sidereal can get it off chargen, it should be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
        Now that sounds like there should be some Lunars cursing and holding their stepped-upon toes.
        Thankfully, Elements-Sculpted Avatar also gives one non-charm bonus die to calm or soothe an elemental, beast, or Lunar Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
          Thankfully, Elements-Sculpted Avatar also gives one non-charm bonus die to calm or soothe an elemental, beast, or Lunar Exalted.
          Combine that with Stunting to give the Lunar ear-scratchies and you've solved your problem.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
            Again, as someone who doesn't have these, is that an actual thing, or just being cute about the non-Charm bonus die it'll add to most social rolls (you know, because of the Appearance boost)?

In the former case, it seems that someone may have to revive a certain meme involving XYZbit...

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Sorry to interrupt the discussion, please carry on! But I have a charm set to finish...

Thrown

Precision of the Striking Raptor
              • Exalt gives her weapon her Essence, feeling it as part of her own body, and its strike being an expression of her will.
              • Accuracy calculated as if it were at close range, regardless of actual range. Use at close range lowers the target's Defence by 1. Does not allow weapon to be used past its actual range.
              • Does this remove the need to aim at longer range bands? I would assume not as the requirement to aim isn't an accuracy penalty, but it seems counterintuitive not to.
              Steel Storm Descending
              • Solar harnesses the weapon's spirit, giving her the the perfect blow.
              • Make a decisive attack and beat the Join Battle of all enemies present. Gives bonus attack dice equal to the difference in scores. At higher Essence, does not reset the Solar to base initiative.
              Flashing Draw Mastery
              • Solar draws her weapon to her hand quickly.
              • Gives an automatic success in Join Battle, and allows the Solar to count as having additional successes for the purposes of attack order in the first round. These do not count as initiative. Can be combined with non-Archery, non-Brawl, non-Melee charms that boost Join Battle.
              Joint-Wounding Attack
              • Solar strikes her mark with a deadly porpoise.
              • Attacks over 3 damage give additional action penalties for the scene. This does not heal at the end of the scene, and may need special care to restore the related ability (sight, use of a hand etc).
              • When are charms like this activated? Do they count as offensive charms and therefore must be declared before it, or is it before the damage roll, or is it in response to seeing that the required damage has actually landed? Not sure if this is technically an offensive charm or not, as it doesn't boost the actual attack roll.
              Angle-Tracing Edge
              • Solar sees her opponents' attacks as her own, and can see where they're going.
              • Remove all cover bonuses an opponent may benefit from. Attacks on an enemy in total cover are made as if at long distance.
              • The flavour text and effects of this charm really don't add up.
              • Hmmm... can this be combined with Precision of the Striking Raptor? It seems like a natural fit, but as this is simple I'm not sure a supplemental charm can be applied to it as it isn't supplementing a normal combat action.
              Triple Distance Attack Technique
              • Solar fills her weapon with Essence, lightening it and perfecting its course.
              • Extends the range of thrown weapons to long. At higher Thrown and Essence, this can be used to attack across 4 range bands.
              Cascade of Cutting Terror
              • No flavour text. Well, flavour-crunch blur as it turns out.
              • Once per combat, make an undodgeable attack with a full thrown excellency. Successful attacks are joined by many more thrown weapons, which double damage on scenery and trivial opponents in short range of the initial target. If used while the Exalt wins JB and she starts with this attack, no aim required from medium or long range. Reset by losing the last missile recovering it with a stunt.
              • Hang on... so it only does extra damage to stuff that doesn't matter ("the attack is joined by dozens or hundreds of copied weapons, striking points all around the target, doing twice the damage successes to all significant objects and insignificant opponents within short range of the initial strike")?
              Swarm-Culling Instinct
              • Solar answers battle with much steels.
              • Reroll as many non-successes on Join Battle as there were 10s in the roll. 10s in rerolled dice give more rerolls. If Solar wins JB, she may strike a Dexterity-based number of opponents with either withering or decisive attacks (may alternate). Can be used with non-Melee, non-Archery, non-Brawl charms that enhance JB.
              Mist on Water Attack
              • Solar pours her training and her Essence into her blade.
              • Target struck with the attack is silenced for an Essence-based number of turns, cannot produce sound. Target may not be detected by any hearing-based Awareness checks. Deaths from this cannot be detected until MoWA has fully resolved.
              • When does this charm fully resolve? Surely as a supplemental it's pretty much done as soon as the attack's over? Which is a space people can't actually act in anyway. So that comment on the deaths not being noticed seems to make entirely no difference.
              Elected Targets sidebar
              • Points out that some attacks don't make sense vs battle groups, providing no advice but telling the ST to sort it out for themselves. Zero excrement, Holmes! Decidedly unhelpful.
              • Also gives the option of producing a single target out of a battle group as a distinct character. Doesn't this defy the whole point of battle groups and mean that using Thrown charms could actually make the combat -harder-?
              Observer-Deceiving Attack
              • Solar is naturally good at misdirection.
              • Conceal the location of a Thrown attack. Opponents must make a Wits+Awareness roll to see where it came from, penalised by the Solar's 10s and any 1s on the observation roll. At high Thrown and Essence, the Solar can attack without breaking Stealth.
              Flying Steel Ruse
              • Solar feels the Essence connection between her weapon and her target, meaning it can be a distraction more easily.
              • Get an auto-success on distract & disarm gambits, and reroll as many 6s on the attack roll as there are 7s.
              • Do further 7s rolled on the reroll allow more rerolls of 6s? This was flagged before, but isn't here. So maybe not?
              Empty Palm Technique
              • Solar can casually disarm even the strongest grip.
              • Solar keeps initiative after a successful disarm gambit once per scene. This is reset by rolling Join Battle.
              Fallen Weapon Deflection
              • Exalt throws things at falling weapons, knocking them about.
              • When a weapon is disarmed within weapons range, Solar can use this charm to knock it one range band further away. This can be done out of turn, but counts as the Exalt's combat action for that round. Repurchase to do this for weapons on the floor. At Essence 3+, this can be done after the Solar attacks that round, including after a Thrown-based disarm.
              Mist-Gathering Practice
              • Solar remembers previous bloody encounters, which makes this one more effective.
              • Gives bonus initiative to an aimed decisive attack from cover. If a decisive attack is not made immediately after the aim action, this is lost.
              • So... PTSD makes you a better fighter? I have to question the logic of the flavour here.
              Shower of Deadly Blades
              • Solar strikes lots of targets when targeting only one. Flavour-crunch blur.
              • Damage against the initial target is applied to all enemies within short range of the first. These can only lose as much initiative as the Solar has Essence. Solar only gets initiative from the initial target. This charm forces an ammo check which cannot be helped by charms, and cannot be used again until the Solar spends multiple turns picking up weapons.
              • So, that's a mandatory purchase of Summon the Loyal Steel for any PCs using this, then.
              Shrike Saving Discretion
              • Solar's hands are really fast.
              • Enhances Swarm-Culling Instinct, by boosting the initiative the Solar returns to by the number of 9s and 10s in the attack roll.
              Crimson Razor Wind
              • Solar sees a moment of perfect opportunity and throws a dagger which trails anima.
              • On a successful use of Observer-Deceiving Attack, can use this charm to make a decisive attack against them, as if from ambush. May only be used on a single opponent, and does not break concealment.
              • This really feels like it needs to clarify if the anima trails are actually a thing. Particularly for a mute charm, it feels really weird to have them.
              Sharp Hand Feint
              • Solar lashes out with Essence, disrupting her opponent.
              • A distract gambit auto-succeeds at the first part of its roll. Works at short range, but can be extended by spending a level of anima per range band required.
              • The wording about "automatically succeeds but must still roll initiative" is really confusing.
              Shadow Wind Slash (Shadow Wind Kill)
              • Solar throws two blades at once, one of which forces an opening for the second. Flavour-crunch blur.
              • Two costs for two kinds of action: two decisive rolls, choosing the better of the two to determine damage, or benefit a distract gambit in the same way. Can reflexively clash a close or ranged attack without the reroll effect, either as a disarm gambit or a decisive attack. The clash version can only be used once per scene, resets after a successful use of Steel Storm Descending. At Essence 5, combine both a disarm and a gambit in one clash attack.
              • The two names actually make sense with this charm!
              Shadow Thrust Spark
              • Exalt expels her anima as her opponent's weapon passes by. Flavour-crunch blur, maybe.
              • When a distract gambit supplemented by Sharp Hand Feint succeeds,disarming her opponent and throwing their weapon to short range, in a direction indicated by the Solar's player.
              • This charm talks about expelling anima... but doesn't cost anima levels. I didn't think that anima & essence were the same thing?
              Savage Wolf Attack
              • Solar marks a fallen weapon and dares others to retrieve it.
              • An opponent looking to regain their weapon after a successful disarm gambit gets hit by an unblockable undodgable withering attack if made within short range of the Solar. Solar can make this attack even if she has already attacked this round. Can be used once per scene, reset by making a successful disarm gambit vs a crashed opponent.
              Falling Icicle Strike
              • Solar winds Essence around her blade and throws it from her heart.
              • Doubles successes on a decisive attack made from an ambush.
              • I know it's "only" flavour, but are people thinking people will only throw daggers? What the devil happened to shirikens and chakrams?
              Fiery Solar Chakram
              • Solar wraps her anima around her weapon and flings it at her foe.
              • Solar makes a decisive attack that requires no aim action and gains autosuccesses equal to the number of anima levels pumped into the attack greater than dim. Extra successes on this attack are added to the initiative determine raw damage. Against "creatures of the night" get Essence-based autosuccesses to the damage roll. Use once per fight, Reset by 3 stunts in which the Solar's anima glows.
              • So now we have "creatures of darkness" and "creatures of the night". I feel slightly churlish asking if they are the same thing.
              • Really like the descriptions on this charm.
              Cutting Circle of Destruction
              • Exalt throws her weapon on the course that will do the most damage, gaining more power as it flies before striking.
              • Player designates a final target for a decisive attack, and Dexterity-based other targets that will each suffer withering attacks before the final decisive attack. As soon as the withering attacks stop dealing more damage than the last, at which point it goes straight to the target of the decisive attack. Each withering attack can have supplemental charms applied to it as if they were reflexive.
              • Thinking about battle groups and this tree, this finally feels like a Thrown charm that could apply vs BGs, but only if the BG can be hit repeatedly by this charm. Houseruled!
              And that's... apparently it for thrown. Surprisingly short. And War is even shorter! I'm nearly there!

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
              Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                Cascade of Cutting Terror
                *snip*
                • Hang on... so it only does extra damage to stuff that doesn't matter ("the attack is joined by dozens or hundreds of copied weapons, striking points all around the target, doing twice the damage successes to all significant objects and insignificant opponents within short range of the initial strike")?
                There is a thread related to this in which no consensus could be found here.

Comment

And that's... apparently it for thrown. Surprisingly short. And War is even shorter! I'm nearly there!
                  Then comes Martial Arts and Sorcery!

(Seriously though, the Martial Arts and Sorcery chapter is probably my favorite chapter of the core)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Then comes Martial Arts and Sorcery!

(Seriously though, the Martial Arts and Sorcery chapter is probably my favorite chapter of the core)
                    It's the strongest crunch in the book, IMHO.

Xerxes , great job getting through the charm trees. It's a big aid to the forum. You might consider compiling your posts, or just linking to this in your sig.

Comment

• Thanks! When I get a moment (at this point, maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday) I'll start pulling together an index on the first post. Not sure how accurate my summaries are (particularly when compared to BlueWind's & Irked's stuff), but glad they can help!

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Thanks! When I get a moment (at this point, maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday) I'll start pulling together an index on the first post. Not sure how accurate my summaries are (particularly when compared to BlueWind's & Irked's stuff), but glad they can help!
                        While I'm flattered to be mentioned, I didn't just summarize what's in the book, I changed everything. So not really a resource for people trying to figure out what all the charms do, since my versions do different things. :P Different purposes.

One thing you're highlighting very effectively is how repetitive and boring all the charm fluff is. Occasionally there's something neat, but most of it is really phoned in. "The Solar is excellent and uses her anima to write the 100th variant on this sentence in a dozen pages. Her readers fall over dead."

Comment

• Irked also changed stuff to make it more balanced and simpler I think. This is the only simple summary.

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post

It's the strongest crunch in the book, IMHO.
                          I agree. I also found it more interesting to read through than a lot of the Solar charms.
                          And it's also available to other splats, which makes much more useful for me, as the ST.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            I agree. I also found it more interesting to read through than a lot of the Solar charms.
                            And it's also available to other splats, which makes much more useful for me, as the ST.
                            To quote a thread asking about how to run other Exalts in games before we have their books...

"Why is it that every Terrestrial we run into is a Martial Artist or a Sorcerer?"

Comment

• Not every DB my players have met has been a martial artist or a sorcerer. Some were scholars or politicians whose charms didn't really come up. And they fought a total of one DB who didn't use spells or MA.
                              But 90% did use them.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• War

War God Descendent
                                • Solars are the descendents of a war god, and their existence is a call to arms for everyone.
                                • Ignore the penalty for poorly-drilled troops, and increase the army's effective size by 1 after rolling Join Battle.
                                Immortal Commander’s Presence

• Solar burns an image of perfection into the minds of siege crews.
                                • Action can last for a minute or an hour. Solar's instructions give each crewman an auto-success on the firing roll, and gives a reroll to all non-successes. A minute's drill gives this for a single action, an hour's for whole combat scene.
                                • Can the minute's instruction be given mid-combat? How does that translate into time spent as rounds?
                                League of Iron Preparation

• Solar is Henry V, and this comforts the troops.
                                • Solar activates charm during the drilling process, which is "long and arduous", but with no specified duration. When this is finished, troops are permanently unable to be affected by Reflexive or Simple magic that imposes morale penalties. Also ignore penalties to Strategic Manoeuvre rolls that have to do with hunger, bad weather or exhaustion.

Rout-Stemming Gesture
                                • It turns out panic is Essence-soluble.
                                • Solar makes a reflexive Rally action, with Essence-based auto-successes.
                                Holistic Battle Understanding

• Solar sees the Essence on the battlefield, and understands it.
                                • Solar can ignore all penalties to a Strategic Manoeuvre roll related to unfamiliarity with the opposing forces.

Ideal Battle Knowledge Prana
                                • Solars know how to speak war, and know what to do in common situations in war, such as how to ask for directions to the station, or order food at a restaurant.
                                • Solar gains double 9s on all order actions. At high War and Essence, pay more to get double 8s.

Tiger Warrior Training Technique
                                • Solars helped the world know the gods could be beaten, because this charm can make armies out of terrible people. Flavour-crunch blur.
                                • Enhances a drill action, passing on perfect actions. Train an undisciplined unit to average in a week, and make an average unit elite in a month. Also confers combat traits of battle-ready or elite soldiers, as appropriate. At Elite level past Essence 3, Solar can confer Might on the unit when facing particular foes, or instil perfect morale. These last effects cost xp.
                                Magnanimity of the Unstoppable Icon

• Solar is a battlefield legend, respected by everyone.
                                • When an enemy takes a rally for numbers action, Solar can restore the magnitude of her own troops up to an amount equal to the 1s and 2s rolled by the opponent, to represent defections.
                                • Doesn't this cause issues with different kinds of drill? F'rex, if an enemy has troops with a lower Drill and Might to your troops, do you get to refill your own, much better, level, or should you just create a different BG under your command with the opposing unit's stats?

Redoubt-Raising Gesture
                                • Solar knows that to win you need to plan, and this thus far more efficient at producing killing fields.
                                • Can complete a Strategic Manoeuvre Roll with one less success than required.

General of the All-Seeing Sun
                                • Solar can see through the chaos of combat into perfect stillness, by being away from the front line staring at maps. And it'll all be over by Calibration, chaps, once we've given those Jerries a good seeing to.
                                • Get an auto-success to the Strategic Manoeuvre roll, and Essence-based dice. Can split the successes to apply them to multiple strategems, up to the Solar's Essence rating.

Immortal Warlord’s Tactic
                                • No flavour text.
                                • Solar enacts a signature stratagem, which cannot be countered by prophetic magic or charms. The strategic manoeuvre roll gets double 7s.
                                • Given the feel of this charm, I would almost expect it to be a permanent enhancement to a particular strategem.

Battle Path Ascendant
                                • The Solar's Essence clamours for battle as the tide turns.
                                • Solar may roll Join Battle when her troops cause an enemy battle group's magnitude to empty.

March of the Returner
                                • The Solar is a new day, and her armies signal the end of darkness and a new time of light. And rainbows. And probably bunnies and lollipops too.
                                • When the Solar's army is routed, Solar can make an automatically successful rally action, once per scene. Resets by beating or capturing a powerful foe by using her army.
                                • The flavour text for this really doesn't feel like it matches up.

Supremacy of the Divine Army
                                • Solar inspires loyalty such that the beasts of the field answer her call.
                                • Get Essence-based successes in a reflexive rally for numbers action. Any successes beyond the group's magnitude add to the BG's health levels. Accompanied by a level 2 or 3 stunt, this will bring wild animals or rocks to the Solar's side.
                                • OK, so the level 2 and 3 stunts make the world follow the Solar. And this means.... precisely zilch in system terms, apparently. Are there seriously no bonuses of any sort to be given when THE VERY ROCKS THEMSELVES rise up and fight beside the Solar!?

Four Glories Meditation
                                • Solar meditates on how strife and conflict work, filling her Essence with War.
                                • Reroll 6s until they stop on any War-based roll.

Transcendent Warlord’s Genius
                                • Solar looks into her past and finds a perfect order to give her troops.
                                • When using Battle Path Ascendant, can order and execute a strategem with a threshold of half the successes of her JB roll.
                                • I don't understand this at all. The better you roll on the JB the harder your next move is? What if you just want to carry out a Back to the Sea strategem, but get 6 successes on Join Battle? Is Back to the Sea now somehow have a threshold of 3?

Battle-Visionary’s Foresight
                                • Solar draws on knowledge longer than her lifetime, and can watch previous battles through using Essence.
                                • Takes one to five minutes to complete. Player secretly writes down 2 strategic manoeuvres. If an opponent wins the Strategic Manoeuvre roll and carries out one of the manoeuvres written down, the Solar's player automatically wins the roll and can execute a strategem of her own with the same value. This can be extended to strategems published in later books. Solar can trade in the 2 prepared strategems to counter a strategem... of indeterminate nature, beyond the fact that it's not been published yet.
                                • Hang on, so the writing down doesn't actually commit the Solar to anything, she can just cash in both to reflexively counter anything? So what's the point of writing things down?
                                And... that's it for charms! It's only taken me...50 days. Ouch.

And on to some brief intro fiction and the Martial Arts and Sorcery section. Although I may take a brief respite and take Totenanz' advice and index this thread properly first.

Comment

Working...
                                X