Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
    *snip - Single Point Shining Into the Void Form Descriptions*
    • I am shocked that a style that is supposedly about the art of drawing and single strikes (which require correct and stable stances) doesn't have restrictions on movement. Apparently, doing this while sprinting is fine. Personally, I'd rule the form doesn't give its benefits during a turn in which the character moves. And possibly something else about needing to draw a weapon too. Hang on, maybe only apply them when character executes a draw + attack action in the same round? I don't know... but I do know that this charm needs bringing down to earth.
    Hmm... that is an interesting idea to help keep theme (and one I'm going to consider using for my NPC's). In the same vein, how about allowing movement actions after attack actions in order to avoid breaking form? This still allows mobility with limiting the offence to those who come to the style's practitioner or are willing to stay in close range thereof.

Comment

• Manga, chanbara,and anime protagonists who do the iaido "Draw, kill, sheath, draw, kill, sheath" thing don't generally have mobility problems stemming from it.

Comment

• Yeah. Dashing towards your opponent, drawing your sword and attacking them in the split second you're next to them, and then continuing on a few feet before sheathing your sword while they keel over is a genre staple. I'd be rather irked if my ST refused to let me do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Single Point does one thing. It does it ABSURDLY WELL, but just one thing. It's got all of what, two defense boosters? Tops? Not a lot of Withering boosters, if memory serves.
          I don't think it's particularly narrow.

One defense booster, two decisive boosters, the form, two Simple decisive attack Charms, one clash Charm, one anti-magic Charm, and one withering booster that can also boost decisive attacks under the right circumstances.

That's a pretty decent spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
            Manga, chanbara,and anime protagonists who do the iaido "Draw, kill, sheath, draw, kill, sheath" thing don't generally have mobility problems stemming from it.
            Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            Yeah. Dashing towards your opponent, drawing your sword and attacking them in the split second you're next to them, and then continuing on a few feet before sheathing your sword while they keel over is a genre staple. I'd be rather irked if my ST refused to let me do that.
            Good points.

Comment

• Besides, the Form lets you keep attacking with the sword's turn while taking Full Defense actions on your own, so there is some extra defense potential there as well (can you defend other on your sword? Then use a shield to flurry Full-Defense and Defend Other in your turn while the sword attacks?)

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
                Besides, the Form lets you keep attacking with the sword's turn while taking Full Defense actions on your own, so there is some extra defense potential there as well (can you defend other on your sword? Then use a shield to flurry Full-Defense and Defend Other in your turn while the sword attacks?)
                You wouldn't be able to combine the shield with your MA actions, since the Shield isn't a form weapon.

Also, you can't Defend Other your sword, since your Sword isn't actually its own entity, it's just a way of showing how damn fast you are. You can't Defend Other yourself.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                  Manga, chanbara,and anime protagonists who do the iaido "Draw, kill, sheath, draw, kill, sheath" thing don't generally have mobility problems stemming from it.
                  Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                  Yeah. Dashing towards your opponent, drawing your sword and attacking them in the split second you're next to them, and then continuing on a few feet before sheathing your sword while they keel over is a genre staple. I'd be rather irked if my ST refused to let me do that.
                  True enough, but this change wouldn't stop you doing that - it just stops the form benefits from Single Point attacks. It tones things down, rather than outright disallowing them. It doesn't stop the attack itself, and it doesn't stop any mastery effects, which are silly in themselves, But yes, this is very much a gamist-simulationist fix.

Anyway, I think this thread is probably the place for this discussion. I've reposted my suggestion there.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                  Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• White Reaper Style

Ok, so White Reaper Style is the anti-BG martial art. Also looks like it may have some form of anima-building thing, unless the "white halo" thing is just fluff.

Form weapons are polearms, scythes & such, and works with any armour.

Falling Scythe Flash
                    • Martial artist takes a moment to suss out the optimum attack strategy, and then goes crazy.
                    • Doubles strength for calculating raw damage on a withering attack, adds half that to a decisive attack.
                    Revolving Crescent Defence
                    • Martial artist works best if turning foes' numbers against them.
                    • Cancels all onslaught penalties for a parry vs a single attack, and converts them into Parry bonuses. With Mastery, this lasts until the martial artist's next turn.
                    White Reaper Form
                    • Martial artist rears up, preparing to cut people down like grass.
                    • Double 10s to decisive damage rolls. Count the drill of a battle group as one level lower than it is when calculating their defence bonus vs the martial artist. Groups with poor drill get more penalties. Can move through a battle group without spending initiative. When an opponent is crashed or incapacitated, or a battle group gets magnitude damage, the martial artist gets a halo, and points towards her Resolve, up to either 2 or Essence. May reflexively activate this if in close range of 3 or more non-trivial opponents, or in the space occupied by a battle group.
                    • Ah, so the white halo thing wasn't just fluff.
                    • If you can only move through a BG without penalty by using this charm, how do you get into their space to reflexively activate it? I think I might not be getting the language here, but as written it feels like opening a box with the crowbar inside it. Unless simply fighting a BG counts as this, which I don't think is specified anywhere.
                    Bleeding Crescent Strike
                    • The martial artist's corona condenses into a single strike.
                    • Double 9s up to Strength in an attack roll. Vs BGs, can double 8s as well, and adds its size to the cap. While in form, each level of halo adds 1 die to the attack roll. If this is done, remove all halos after the attack. If form is active, halos gained by making the attack do not disappear. Dragonblooded may only use this once per scene, resets by gaining 3 or more halos. With mastery, dice added from halos count as non-charm dice.
                    Greatest Killer Attitude
                    • Martial artist's corona flashes and then surges along the edge of her strike.
                    • Withering attacks convert Strength-based post-soak damage dice to auto-successes, and ignores Size-based Soak bonuses. Decisive attacks convert either Strength or Essence-based damage dice into auto-successes, and double effective raw damage they deal to a battle group. If form is active, grants an additional die of post-soak withering damage for every halo the martial artist has. At end of this, all halos burn away.
                    Is the picture supposed to be GKA in action? All the separate strikes look weird.

Enemies Like Grass
                    • Martial artist swings her scythe, which trails afterimages and blood.
                    • Make a decisive attack against two enemies at once, making a single attack roll and rolling damage separately. Attacks have Strength base damage, and initiative splits equally between them. Doesn't reset to base until attacks are finished. May also make 2 individually-rolled withering attacks against a single battle group. While the form is active, may make an extra attack for every halo she has. All halos burn away at the end of the attack. Dragon-blooded can only use this charm against battle groups.
                    Flickering Corona Barrier
                    • Martial artist bends her weapon around her in a shield. Or something, maybe lightning's involved.
                    • Martial artist gets +1 to Parry. Battle Groups don't add their Size to their attack roll. With the form active, martial artist may spend her halos to get additional Parry boosts. With mastery, the martial artist can activate this charm after her opponent's attack roll.
                    Impenetrable White Shroud
                    • Martial artist breathes deeply and draws her halos close to her skin.
                    • Adds halo-based boosts to the martial artist's armour-based soak. If unarmoured, the halos add more soak and also hardness. Battle Groups don't add their size to their raw damage against her.
                    Snow Follows Winter
                    • Martial artist's halo glows red before flickering out and healing her wounds.
                    • Must have form active and be wounded to at least -2 level, paying willpower to heal her halo's worth of bashing/lethal damage, and spending the halos. This can be done once per scene. For the rest of the scene, the number of halos she has reduces wound penalties, penalises enemy rout checks and adds to her base initiative when she resets, which uses up the halos.
                    • Can she use halos committed to other charms here towards her initiative? Or is it that the halos burn away from a decisive attack with a charm like Enemies Like Grass, and then spends the halo from crashing an opponent or doing magnitude damage to boosting her base initiative?
                    While I like the thematics of this style, keeping track of the halos on top of personal Essence, peripheral Essence and Willpower feels yet again like making more work.

Next up, I creep along to Ebon Shadow Style.
                    Last edited by Xerxes; 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM. Reason: Spacing, as ever.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Ebon Shadow Style

Ebon Shadow style is about being sneaky. Got it. I like the "make the evildoers fear the shadows" angle. I was surprised that this didn't riff off the ASoIaF angle of "you can't have shadows without the light", but you can't have everything.

Complementary Abilities
                      • While this makes total sense, how is a mortal supposed to do this? Without the ability to vanish and make the opponents unsure where you are, which is stupid hard for mortals in Exalted, how can this style function? I may find out as I read...
                      Nothing But Shadows
                      • Ebon Shadow martial artists fade in and out of shadows, striking before vanishing back into darkness.
                      • Apply penalties to a roll to notice the martial artist while in stealth. Can attempt to go to ground by faking death, which applies these benefits to go to ground actions, in addition to adding wound penalties to attempts at detection. With mastery, every 1 rolled on the detection roll gives the martial artist a point of initiative, up to a maximum of their Stealth.
                      Seven Points of Weakness Strike
                      • Martial artist strikes at a point of weakness in the opponent's defences.
                      • Reduce opponent's armour soak by the MA's Stealth rating. Unexpected attacks double this. With mastery, if this reduces the soak below zero, add any remaining points as post-soak damage dice.
                      Ebon Shadow Form
                      • Martial artist's form flickers like a shadow, making her look inhuman.
                      • If MA's anima flares, she looks like some "umbral" creature. Anyone who fails to spot her after she goes into stealth loses a point of initiative. Add half Stealth to base initiative when she resets after a decisive attack. Add +1 to defence. Opponents killed while MA is in the form dissolve, leaving no identifiable physical remains. May reflexively activate the form if she beats all opponents' awareness rolls, which also triggers the initiative-losing effect above.
                      • The last reset to base effect and defence boost read like they're independent of being stealthed or not. This feels quite against the spirit of the style. Are they meant to apply only if the character is unobserved after making the attack, or something?
                      • Few enough Mastery and Dragon-blooded effects so far, making me think this is one of the best styles for a Terrestrial.
                      Elusive Flicker Evasion
                      • Martial artist flickers before an enemy, never seeming to move through space.
                      • Opponents making a decisive attack must make 2 attack rolls against the martial artist, and pick the worst result. Dragon-blooded may only use this charm once a scene, reset by incapacitating a non-trivial opponent with a surprise attack. With mastery, if the opponent misses while this is active they lose initiative equal to the difference between the two rolls, up to a maximum of the martial artist's Stealth.
                      Very cool pic. Although the cynic in me notices the association between a black martial artist and the name Ebon Shadow. Probably being oversensitive.

Shadow-Body Dissolution
                      • Martial artist's body becomes insubstantial, and blows pass through her.
                      • Subtract Essence + Stealth from raw damage dealt to the martial artist through a decisive attack. If no damage is taken, may reflexively make a Stealth attempt, which indicates she was hidden somewhere else all along. Incompatible with other effects that reduce decisive damage. Dragon-blooded roll Essence+Stealth to determine damage reduction, rather than taking the flat value. Successes from this roll count as the post-attack stealth attempt too.
                      Shadow-Stepping Motion
                      • Martial artist moves across the battlefield as if through shadows.
                      • Apply double 9s to any attempt to move in combat while in stealth. Negates penalties for moving across open ground. Doubles successes given by a decisive attack made on the same turn as a move is made with this charm, or adds MA's stealth to post-soak withering damage in the same way.
                      • I'm sure I remember an Obtenebration power that is this, but I can't find it.
                      Throat-Slitting Shadow Atemi
                      • Martial artist's weapon is shrouded in Essence and strikes before the enemy knows it's there.
                      • Convert one die of raw damage to an auto-success for each extra success on a decisive attack roll, up to a maximum of Essence-based dice. Unexpected attacks have no such limit. Enemies killed with this charm dissolve into smoke. Dragon-blooded can only use this for unexpected attacks, and convert Essence-based dice.
                      • This calls things "extra successes". Is the term "threshold successes applicable here, or not? If so, use one or the other, not both!
                      Umbra Noose Execution
                      • Martial artist strikes their opponent's shadow, turning it against its master.
                      • Charm supplements a decisive unexpected attack, adding raw damage equal to successes on the stealth roll, up to max of twice Essence. Those with mastery can steal motes from the target after the attack, which can only be spent on Ebon Shadow charms and vanish at the end of the scene.
                      Really like this style. It has a nice coherent theme to it, and not too many mastery effects. I know the latter isn't a problem as such, but I'm now on the look-out for things non-Solars can use.

And so we shift into Crane Style.
                      Last edited by Xerxes; 07-01-2016, 12:08 PM. Reason: SPACING!

Comment

• Yeah, Ebon Shadow is a nice little style. It can get crazy when combined with others. ESPECIALLY Snake Style. Good lord, Snake and Ebon Shadow can lead to craziness.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Yeah, Ebon Shadow is a nice little style. It can get crazy when combined with others. ESPECIALLY Snake Style. Good lord, Snake and Ebon Shadow can lead to craziness.
                          The unexpected weakness+armor pen strike will in fact rek someones day in a hurry.
                          So advice here is ninjas are dangerous, snake ninjas even more so... hmmm... wonder if ebon + tiger can work... if your close range to someone that doesn't see you can you trigger tiger stuff if they move away from you while sneaking?

Comment

• One of my players has it, lots of fun made a minor society of Ninjas that use it, leader taught by Five Days Darkness himself.

They want to know the forbidden lost technique "Distracting Finger Gesture Attack" that has been lost for ages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wandering Swordman View Post

The unexpected weakness+armor pen strike will in fact rek someones day in a hurry.
                              So advice here is ninjas are dangerous, snake ninjas even more so... hmmm... wonder if ebon + tiger can work... if your close range to someone that doesn't see you can you trigger tiger stuff if they move away from you while sneaking?
                              One of my players used that exact combination to Crash a Legendary Sized enemy.

As for Shadow Tiger Style... There's a few "Attack from ambush" charms in Tiger. Yeah, I can see a lot of synergy there.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

One of my players used that exact combination to Crash a Legendary Sized enemy.

As for Shadow Tiger Style... There's a few "Attack from ambush" charms in Tiger. Yeah, I can see a lot of synergy there.

Not to mention the possibility of using Wood Dragon's Claw as your form weapon for both.

Comment

Working...
                                X