A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freelanzer View Post
    Not to mention the possibility of using Wood Dragon's Claw as your form weapon for both.
    Well, I've got a new character concept...

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

Not to mention the possibility of using Wood Dragon's Claw as your form weapon for both.
      The jungle shadow panther is born.
      And on reviewing some of the charm mixes, tiger shadow is really good at that ambush pounce, grapple savage, and then fade. Very stalking predator.

Comment

• A friend of mine in a game has been using Living Shadow Preparedness and Blinding Battle Feint to start battles Stealthed and with anywhere from 20-30 Initiative and then just murdering the hell out of people with his Ebon Shadow/Tiger Style "Attack From the Ambush" Charms. From what he was saying, I don't believe any enemy he has targeted for death has survived more than a round or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
          A friend of mine in a game has been using Living Shadow Preparedness and Blinding Battle Feint to start battles Stealthed and with anywhere from 20-30 Initiative and then just murdering the hell out of people with his Ebon Shadow/Tiger Style "Attack From the Ambush" Charms. From what he was saying, I don't believe any enemy he has targeted for death has survived more than a round or two.
          Just need armor pen strike from snake for the ultimate alpha strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            A friend of mine in a game has been using Living Shadow Preparedness and Blinding Battle Feint to start battles Stealthed and with anywhere from 20-30 Initiative and then just murdering the hell out of people with his Ebon Shadow/Tiger Style "Attack From the Ambush" Charms. From what he was saying, I don't believe any enemy he has targeted for death has survived more than a round or two.
            This is a strong reason to ignore the stealth errata in Miracles of the Solar exalted that makes Living Shadow Preparedness retroactively non-charm.

Comment

• Crane Style

Crane style is the diplomatic "why-can't-we-talk-it-over-oh-never-mind-I've-pnwed-you-anyway" style. Focused on counterattacks, doing the "use the enemy's force against them"shtick. Primed for lots of 1- or 10-eating effects.

Style weapons are a war fan and hook sword. Very swish. It mentions that its kind of suboptimal if unarmed, but doesn't provide any info on whether this gives penalties or not.

Empowering Justice Redirection
              • Crane stylists end hostilities.
              • Supplements an attack against an enemy who has attacked the martial artist or her Defend Other charge in the current or previous round.
              • Adds an auto-success to the attack roll, and one die to post-soak damage. Increases to 2 of each if the attack actually landed. With mastery, the dice are converted to auto-successes.
              Fluttering Cry of Warning
              • The Crane stylist shelters her allies.
              • Adds +2 to Parry an attack targeted at a protected ally. Any enemy who overcomes the parry and attacks her charge must pay an additional initiative point to do so. With mastery, this lets the Crane stylist take a reflexive defend other action out of turn.
              Crane Form
              • The Crane embodies elegance, and the stylist presents a strong but entirely non-hostile defence.
              • +1 to Parry while in form, and no damage will be done to her clothes through combat. Reduced initiative cost to go full defensive. May respond to any attack while in full defensive with a withering or decisive counterattack. May respond to attacks against her charge in the same way if doing a defend other action. May reflexively activate if the stylist successfully defends vs an attack that puts the attacker's initiative below her own. May make a counterattack after doing so if other conditions for this have been met.
              Crossed Wings Denial
              • Martial artist's defence is calm and perfect, seemingly disturbed by nothing.
              • Bank successes from an unenhanced Wits + Martial Arts roll. May spend these next turn to add to her Parry, or to make a decisive counterattack after successfully blocking an attack. Dragon-blooded must spend 2 successes to add to their Parry.
              Feather-Stirred Arrow Deflection
              • The Crane stylist shames arrows.
              • Whenever Crane stylist could make a valid counterattack vs a ranged attack, can use this to extend the range of the counterattack to the original attack's range, sending missiles back to the one who originally cast them. Making a counterattack vs extreme range requires a stunt. May spend a point of willpower to change the target of this counterattack, so long as they are within range. Dragon-blooded can only use this charm up to long range.
              • So, when can you make a valid counterattack vs a ranged attack? I thought counterattacks would be by definition invalid, because they're ranged attacks.
              Wings Spread to Sky
              • Crane stylist leaps into the sky.
              • Supplement a movement action, allowing flight through the air to complete the movement. If defending other, they may be carried with the stylist, if willing and the stylist has at least one free hand. If this charm is used to close the distance before a decisive attack, add double 10s to the roll. If the stylist ends her move in an impossible position, she can stay there until next turn without penalty. If she does not find a stable footing at the end of the next turn, she falls gently to earth. She still takes damage, but can ignore a number of range based based on her Dexterity. Can be used reflexively to mitigate falling damage.
              • When must it be used reflexively to mitigate falling damage? I can see a character holding off activation of this charm until the last range band, negating all damage, where the full fall length would have done some damage even after the Dex-based deduction. I guess this needs a rate of fall to adjudicate, but the falling rules don't provide such a thing.
              Humbling Enlightenment Commentary
              • The grace of the crane is a humbling thing to watch.
              • Stunt dice added to a decisive attack roll add to its damage as well, so long as it is discussed as analysing the enemy's fighting style like a parable. If the damage from the attack exceeds the target's Resolve, it automatically instils a positive minor tie towards a belief based on the commentary. if the enemy resists or already has that intimacy, they lose initiative based on the Crane stylist's charisma. Dragon-blooded can only use this charm to enhance counterattacks granted by other Crane moves. If those with mastery possess the intimacy they're trying to impart, they add the rating of the intimacy in bonus dice to the attack roll.
              • The requirements for this seem really restrictive, and over time repetitive. I can't see parable-based stunting being a fun thing to try and do on the fly at all. Has anyone actually seen this used well? Or any examples from media? The closest I can see is fighters passing quips and analysing each other's fighting style and what it means about their prospects for the fight, but they aren't generally parables.
              • Incidentally, Guybrush Threepwood as an Exalt would be a terrifying prospect.
              Kindly Sifu’s Quill
              • Gentle masters bruise their students, they don't wound them.
              • Add double 10s to decisive damage roll. Decisive attacks enhanced in this way deal bashing damage. Opponent who has an intimacy "as described in Humbling Enlightenment Commentary" takes a penalty to their Defence as if it were their Resolve, if the attack is stunted to include relevant dialogue. Those with mastery get double 9s to the damage roll if the exploited intimacy is minor, double 8s if it is major, and double 7s if it is defining.
              • I don't get the comment about Humbling Enlightenment Commentary. Does this mean that the target has to previously have been targeted by HEC in order to take that penalty, or does the martial artist just need to make remarks that sound like those what would use HEC, without actually activating the charm?
              • I have assumed that the "damage bonus" referred to in the Mastery text is the damage roll. Does this apply to all damage rolled during the strike enhanced with KSQ, or just the bonus dice added by HEC (however that happens)?
              Mournful Crane’s Cry
              • Something should be done to stop all this violence. WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! IF YOU DON'T STOP I'LL SCREW UP THE HOSTILE ESSENCE INTO A BALL AND DO A KATA THAT HITS YOU WITH ALL YOUR OWN VIOLENCE IT UNTIL YOU STOP! YOU'RE ONLY MAKING IT WORSE FOR YOURSELF!
              • Enhances a counterattack, with different effects depending on the weapon used. If unarmed, the opponent is thrown 2 range bands horizontally and knocked prone. Opponents thrown in this way suffer no falling damage. Using a hook sword, crane stylist applies double 9s to the initiative roll and halves the initiative cost of the gambit. With a war fan, the original attack rebounds on the attacker, and may be enhanced with Crane Style charms. This doesn't automatically cancel the attack on the crane stylist.
              • Can an opponent with a hook sword and a war fan choose which counterattack gets used?
              • Part of me wonders whether 'kata' is the right word to use here. To me, a kata is a sequence drilled in a dojo; the use of that sequence in an actual fight is kumite.
              Wisdom of the Celestial Crane
              • The crane is a serene bird, and that serenity and grace are the key to this final move.
              • Used when making a decisive counterattack vs a decisive attack. Does not work for gambits, against battle groups or trivial opponents. Add enemy's initiative to the raw damage of this attack as well as crane stylist's own. Incapacitating an enemy with WCC is always nonfatal. Can choose an intimacy that fits HEC's criteria and strengthen it to Defining, or leave the opponent with a Defining Tie of love for all creation. Use once per combat, reset by going 3 rounds without being hit by an attack or making an attack. Counterattacks do not count as an attack for this purpose. Dragon-blooded are limited to adding as much raw damage as they have initiative with this charm. Those with mastery auto-crash their opponents if they successfully defend against the attack that led to the counterattack.
              • Again with the "does not work vs trivial opponents". Why is this a thing? Do they have some sort of newbie shield or something? Why do they need special protections like this?
              My memory of the film may be playing up, but much of this feels quite a bit like Flying Snow: The Martial Art. Which is no bad thing. It also sounds like the perfect style for a character that I built around Wyld-Shaping Technique. Would people actually be interested to see the 2 characters that I've made while going through the book?

Also, the glaring gap of counterattack in the index is made all the more clear by this style. It needs defining somewhere. When I get a moment, I'll pull together the references to counterattacks and start a thread on this.

We continue to be birds with the next style, Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style.
              Last edited by Xerxes; 07-03-2016, 12:48 PM.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
              Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                My memory of the film may be playing up, but much of this feels quite a bit like Flying Snow: The Martial Art. Which is no bad thing. It also sounds like the perfect style for a character that I built around Wyld-Shaping Technique. Would people actually be interested to see the 2 characters that I've made while going through the book?
                I would :-)

Comment

• Vegetalss4 & others that're interested, characters added in spoiler tags to the first post.
                  Last edited by Xerxes; 07-03-2016, 05:21 PM.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                  Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Also, the glaring gap of counterattack in the index is made all the more clear by this style. It needs defining somewhere. When I get a moment, I'll pull together the references to counterattacks and start a thread on this.
                    yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Comment

• Yeah, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread... Crane Style seems to be written on the assumption that there'd be standardized rules for counterattacks. If you sit down at your table and come up with "And this is how we'll resolve counterattacks-" then it helps out a lot, but the book really should have been clearer.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Eagerly awaiting that post.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Would people actually be interested to see the 2 characters that I've made while going through the book?
                          Definitely. I love seeing what people come up with.

Comment

Definitely. I love seeing what people come up with.
                            They're in the first post, in spoiler tags.

Comment

Look, Anys, someone ignited the Kejak Symbol! Quickly, to the Dragonmobile - away!

(Um, which is to say, I already had this same problem with Crane Style, and the post I link to above has me breaking down the other, better-defined Counterattacks looking for common threads. SPOILERS: none of them work like normal Withering attacks, so the idea that you can just "make Withering and Decisive Counterattacks" seems a little shaky to me. There's a reason why I advocate burning that Style down and salting the earth/rebuilding the tree to taste.)

P.S. The Kejak symbol is a giant frowny face.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• That post is helpful, thanks Chejop! I'll see if the Crane Style definitions shed any more light in what I can stitch together, but from what you've said I doubt it... in the meantime:

Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style

Nightingale stylists sing people to death. Or shout, not quite sure.

As makes most sense Performance is central to this style. The cigarette is not a form weapon, but it should be.

Silver-Voiced Nightingale Remix sidebar
                                • Because it hit me in the face when turning the page, this gets in before any of the charms.
                                • So you're allowed to use this style with instruments as well as singing. Cool.
                                • And even poetry...
                                Voice of the Night Bird
                                • Nightingale isn't a bird of prey, it sings! And it sings of victory.
                                • Allows the Nightingale Stylist to make kiais that form the basis of the style. This is a light weapon that does bashing, and can be flurried without the usual flurry penalties, so long as the actions weave into the song. With mastery, this becomes a light artefact weapon.
                                Inspiring Battle Hymn
                                • Nightingale sings to inspire her allies to fight harder.
                                • The Nightingale stylist and all allies who can hear her reroll all 1s in Join Battle, and get a +1 Resolve bonus against threats, supernatural fear and similar forms of influence during the fight. With mastery, she gains a point of temporary willpower, and can grant it to an ally.
                                • Where are the rules for fear again? It feels like it's expected to be a form of social influence here (and elsewhere), but I can only find hints of it.
                                Terrifying Battle Shriek
                                • The Nightingale's voice rings out with death in its harmonics.
                                • Successful influence roll make the enemy fear her, forcing a movement action away on a successful Cha+Perf roll. Cowards may surrender or run away. Characters already hit with a Nightingale kiai in the same turn are treated as if they have a minor tie of fear towards the stylist already. If this was a decisive attack, it is a major tie. Those with mastery cause those who retreat to lose initiative.
                                • So nightingale stylists can attack twice in a turn with kiais?
                                Silver-Voiced Nightingale Form
                                • Nightingale stylist sings in total harmony with her movements.
                                • Nightingale stylist gets +1 Evasion, and adds her Performance to the withering damage of her kiais. Whenever an enemy pays willpower to resist a Performance-based influence roll, she gains 3 initiative. May be reflexively activated when the character overcomes an opponent's Resolve with a Performance-based action. This can be done if the characters pay Willpower to resist, which also grants initiative.
                                Hearing the Heart’s Song
                                • Nightingale stylist hears her foe's heart, and can anticipate their attack.
                                • Add half the stylist's performance rating to her Evasion.vs a decisive attack. If successful, the stylist also gets a reflexive read intentions action. Those with mastery steal initiative for every extra success on the roll.
                                • Again with the "extra successes" language. Are these different from threshold successes somehow?
                                • Sidebar implies that HtHS would need to be part of a performance, but their abilities depend on hearing, rather than singing. Do stylists need to be engaging in a perform action to use it?
                                Harmony in Opposition Stance
                                • Stylist can act exactly in-step with her opponent, predicting their moves.
                                • Choose an enemy to synchronise with. Always get full Defence value vs that opponent, and get double 9s on rush and disengage actions. Whenever chosen opponent gains initiative, Nightingale stylist gets an initiative point, unless they gain initiative from an attack. Reassigning who the stylist is synced with is a misc action, cannot be flurried. If she incapacitates the synced enemy or they surrender, this can be done reflexively. Dragon-blooded activate this as a simple charm. Can only reflexively activate it against someone they have read intentions of in this scene. Essence barrier is 3 for dragon-blooded
                                • Reading through all these limitations is really reinforcing a "dragon-blooded kinda suck" perception at this point.
                                Haunting Heart-Rending Melody
                                • Stylist sings and infuses the notes with Essence.
                                • Fill opponents with a negative emotion that impedes their will to fight. Roll to do this doesn't take penalties from multiple opponents, and adds Essence-based auto-successes. Those who are beaten by it take a -3 Defence penalty vs kiai attacks that exploit the imparted emotion in a stunt. Spending willpower to resist this grants immunity for a scene. May be placed in a flurry. Dragon-blooded get no auto-successes with this charm.
                                Resounding Songbird’s Cry
                                • Stylist sings hard enough to break things, including people's ears.
                                • Applies a sonic environmental hazard to all enemies within short range, doing bashing damage. Also destroys fragile scenery, which can turn the damage lethal with a stunt. May follow-up next turn with a withering kiai vs all those who failed the hazard check the turn before, and doubles 9s on the attack roll based on the stylist's Charisma. Use once per fight, reset by landing a decisive attack and building over 10 initiative. Dragon-blooded can't do the follow-up kiai.
                                Flashing Blade Harmony
                                • Stylist hums which resonates with an ally's weapon.
                                • Whenever an ally in short range makes a decisive attack, benefit from double 10s, or double 9s for a withering attack. If enemy gets hit by more than one attack enhanced in this way, add 1 die of presoak damage for each such attack, and get a double 10s/9s to her own damage roll. Those with mastery may transfer Essence-based initiative to an ally who is enhanced in this way.
                                Aria of Victory
                                • Stylist sings in a minor key, which heartens her allies, and then shifts to a major key to shift the tide of battle.
                                • All allies who can hear the song gain willpower each turn, which must be spent that turn or be lost. Dragon-blooded must pay extra motes to keep this effect up, as well as the committed cost.
                                Shattering Discord Cacophony
                                • The stylist sings scales until she finds the one that will unravel her foe.
                                • Stylist makes a kiai gambit, which delays the opponent's next action by a tick as his form becomes blurry. Any decisive attacks made against this enemy before he acts get bonus damage dice based on Nightingale stylist's initiative roll. If incapacitated while in this state, the opponent dissipates into nothing. Those with mastery get Essence back if their foes die from this, and get all information they could have gathered from a read intentions action against the character. Dragon-blooded's successes are capped at their Performance rating.
                                • Torture for information? No, we'll just kill them before the song ends!
                                A lot of these feel like they should be scene-long, but most are instant. Also, it's not hugely clear (or entirely consistent) as to whether you can sing while doing other stuff, which a lot of the charms seem to function on the assumption that you can. It may just be the charms blurring into one as I read them, but I got confused as to what could be done when and with what effect.

Anyway, that's the Nightingale done. Righteous Devil style next.
                                Last edited by Xerxes; 07-05-2016, 03:52 AM. Reason: Spacing...

Comment

Working...
                                X