No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't get me started on dragonblooded practitioners from the North, dove-something ? I don't remember...
    Last edited by Slulura; 07-05-2016, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Righteous Devil is a very flavorful style, IMO.

Also, if I had the creative ability to do so, I'd totally fluff a Nightingale Stylist as a traveling freelance rap-battler.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slulura View Post
        Don't get me started on dragonblooded practitioners from the North, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn40gUUd5m0"]dove-something ? I don't remember...[/URL]
        Dovahkiin.

Oh hell, now I'm going to have nightmares about TES & Exalted crossing over. If only Exalted metaphysics was actually ambiguous & complex enough to support such a thing...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
          Terrifying Battle Shriek[LIST][*]The Nightingale's voice rings out with death in its harmonics.[*]Successful influence roll make the enemy fear her, forcing a movement action away on a successful Cha+Perf roll. Cowards may surrender or run away. Characters already hit with a Nightingale kiai in the same turn are treated as if they have a minor tie of fear towards the stylist already. If this was a decisive attack, it is a major tie. Those with mastery cause those who retreat to lose initiative.[*]So nightingale stylists can attack twice in a turn with kiais?
          No, TBS is a social influence action not an attack, of the sort that Voice of the Night Bird eliminates the flurry penalties for.

Comment

Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style
            Inspiring Battle Hymn
            *snip*
            • Where are the rules for fear again? It feels like it's expected to be a form of social influence here (and elsewhere), but I can only find hints of it.
            There aren't any mechanical effects other than creating a minor tie. If you were trying to put your opponent off balance there is a fear effect under the Bear entry in animals that would be useful in combat, I think it was a -1 to attack.
            I know some folks find the lack of counterattack info galling, for me it's the lack of fear effects given how many non-social-influence wielding beings (like animals, zombies, etc.) have an intimidate pool. Not to mention the charms meant to capitalize on, or protect against fear. Er, okay I'll stop before I really get into rant mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
              Righteous Devil is a very flavorful style, IMO.

Also, if I had the creative ability to do so, I'd totally fluff a Nightingale Stylist as a traveling freelance rap-battler.
              Good stunt bonuses if you can freestyle the Wyld Hunt to death.

Major , holy crap you're right. I had just glossed over that, assuming it was in social influence, and then I forgot all about fear when I read social influence. I guess it creates a tie you can use to supplement a threaten action, but that feels a bit clunky. The Dawn Caste Scary McScarepants has to take an action to inspire fear, and THEN a separate action to exploit it and intimidate the soldiers into running?

Comment

• Surely running is the default thing to do when presented with a scary thing? Now, if the very scary man wants to make people do something else, then he needs an action to tell the people scared of him what he wants them to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  Surely running is the default thing to do when presented with a scary thing? Now, if the very scary man wants to make people do something else, then he needs an action to tell the people scared of him what he wants them to do.

I dunno. I'm afraid of spiders (like, phobia level, definitely at least a Minor Intimacy), and yet my default action is to murderface them. People respond to fear differently. It'd be nice if we had some kind of system for how people would act when afraid, even if that's just some kind of penalty.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

• I would have thought Elfive 's thought of "run/cower" would be the logical thing. Unless it's fudged so that an action to inspire fear can be flurried with a fear-instilling action with no penalty? There is precedent(ish) with the intimidate rules, which auto-create hate ties, but I wouldn't want that instill action to auto-succeed vs nontrivials when it's explicitly the player's intent. But that's starting to get into the bordermarches of houserule territory.
                    Last edited by Xerxes; 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• So there's one instance where I can understand fear and fear-based action: instilling a fear intimacy then persuading someone to do something like surrender or flee the battlefield. It gets thornier when you come to the threaten action.

One thought that comes to me is a general -1 malus to rolls and static values when faced with something a character is afraid of, combined with a bonus to Disengage and Withdraw actions from +1 to +3 based upon on the severity of the tie of fear?
                      Last edited by Leetsepeak; 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Octopoid View Post

I dunno. I'm afraid of spiders (like, phobia level, definitely at least a Minor Intimacy), and yet my default action is to murderface them. People respond to fear differently. It'd be nice if we had some kind of system for how people would act when afraid, even if that's just some kind of penalty.
                        I suspect that reaction would be rather different if you were confronted with a spider that has a size ratio of 1:1 rather than 1:300 relative to you. And the spider is waving a daiklave around.

Comment

• Regarding fear, the Threaten action is always going to be pretty thorny, since (like Bargain) its actual interaction with the system (Intimacies, in particular) is currently a houserule.

My own houserule is to just treat it as a Persuade action targeting assumed Intimacies like "Protective interest in own life - Defining," and "Fearful avoidance of prolonged imprisonment - Major," but to each their own. Under this paradigm, Dawn Caste McScaryPants just spends one action getting a bunch of people to run away from her... assuming they're already convinced that she is willing and able to turn their internal organs into a stunning facsimile bonsai. That might take one or more actions in itself, of course, but usually they won't have to be social ones.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• I find threaten actions a bit awkward because they often seem to snag a defining intimacy almost always. I kind of want to just house rule it as a persuade action where as soon as you ability to reasonably fulfill your threat ends, like say after you leave, they can ignore it.

Comment

• Righteous Devil Style
                              • Righteous Devils are Guy Fawkes in a world with very limited gunpowder. At least, the V for Vendetta version of Guy Fawkes.
                              • Not sure how happy I am about the mixing of martial arts and ethics a this point; the two are interlinked in general in the real world, but to suddenly bring it into Exalted martial arts where it hasn't been mentioned before to be part of a gun-based martial art (which feels more like a contradiction than a grammaton cleric, particularly in a world where rifling is probably entirely unknown) really rubs me up the wrong way. Particularly the "oh, the guns don't matter as much as the JUDGEMENT!" angle.
                              • Oh, but the next sentence says the judgement can be discarded by practitioners anyway. What on earth...
                              • Form weapons are firewands, as expected.
                              Blossom of Inevitable Demise
                              • Martial artist tastes evil in the air and cleanses it with fire.
                              • Decisive damage rolls get double 10s. Can extend a firewand attack to medium range.
                              Cloud of Ebon Devils
                              • Martial artist throws gunpowder everywhere, which is apparently helpful.
                              • Can aim and reload and draw as a single action. Must succeed at a Wits + Martial Arts roll to accomplish this if enemies are within close range, failure meaning she doesn't get the aiming benefits. Enemies who have been intimidated through social actions do not count for the purposes of making this roll necessary. Those with mastery can use this charm to supplement Join Battle, allowing them ot reflexively ready, draw and aim a weapon before anyone acts.
                              Kiss of the Sun Concentration
                              • Martial artist uses Essence to aim, making destruction inevitable.
                              • Aiming bonuses add to the withering post-soak damage, or a die of raw decisive damage. Gambits that could benefit from precision gain the full benefits of aim dice to the initiative roll, rather than a single die. Those with mastery get the full amount of aim dice to their damage, rather than one die, while gambits and withering attacks get automatic successes rather than bonus dice.
                              Righteous Devil Form
                              • Creation holds its breath while whistling a particular tune as the martial artist assumes the form, which gives her gravitas and sends everyone who isn't about to get shot scurrying for the saloon.
                              • May intimidate enemies when first entering this form based on Charisma, Presence and Essence, and those who are affected get penalties to disengage, withdraw or stealth-based actions. At the beginning of each turn, they can reflexively aim at anyone whose Resolve was overcome* or by a similar influence roll. Also enabled the martial artist to pistol-whip people effectively with rifle butts, which count as medium weapons inflicting bashing damage or lethal with a bayonet. This use does not benefit from Righteous Devil Style charms that modify weapon ranges, but can otherwise be used with everything. Can reflexively activate the form after successfully landing a decisive attack that was preceded by an aim action.
                              • How do we determine if enemies are affected by this? It's not an opposed roll, and no fixed values are mentioned (Resolve seems an obvious candidate, but is nowhere to be seen), so what do we use?
                              • *oh, now they see fit to mention Resolve! After the roll is actually made and is supposed to have... erm... resolved.
                              Azure Abacus Meditation
                              • Martial artist can see the flow of Essence in a fight with her eyes closed, which help her line up her target. At bonfire level these circles are visible. Flavour-crunch mix.
                              • Cancels out cover benefits. Enemies not in cover lose all non-magical and artefact armour soak. Enemies in cover halve their mundane soak. Enemies in heavy cover subtract mundane soak for every extra success on the attack roll, up to half the cover value. May be used once a scene, resets by hittign an enemy in cover with a decisive attack and then gaining 12+ initiative. Dragon-blooded can never fully negate cover benefits.
                              • It might be because I'm tired, but I initially read "mundane soak" as "natural soak" for a while, rather than the broader definition implied in the previous sentence.
                              • And we're back to having reset conditions mashed in with everything else. Shame.
                              Burning Judgement Halo
                              • Typo in the charm name.
                              • Those who would harm the martial artist must face their own iniquities.
                              • Charm creates a ring or partial ring of fire, which functions like a bonfire. They will burn for as long as the martial artist is at the centre of the circle, and if she moves will fade after 1 more round of burning. The martial artist is never harmed by walking through these flames. Dragon-blooded must pay initiative to sustain this charm beyond the initial casting.
                              • This feels like it needs quite precise positioning tracking.
                              Phoenix Flies on Golden Wings
                              • Rings of gold and cobalt fly out from the martial artist's gun, which is totally different from Azure Abacus Meditation because they're a different colour and have a strict number limit.
                              • Grants a number of withering damage successes or decisive damage dice based on the range of the martial artist from the target.
                              Dancing Devil Trigger Finger
                              • The martial artist's fire comes alive.
                              • Make a decisive attack on all enemies in a 90-degree arc, up to one enemy per range band. A single roll is made and applied against multiple targets. Use once per fight, reset by upholding the intimacies representing the upholding of the Righteous Devil Style philosophy. Dragon-blooded must split their initiative between targets, and has an Essence-based cap on how much damage they can do to each target. Points of initiative that cannot be assigned are converted back into motes after the attack.
                              • Am I misreading? This sounds like "you catch everyone in a 90-degree arc, but only one person per range band, no matter how many people are within the 90-degree arc in each range band".
                              • Also, this is the second charm in this tree that requires precise positioning. I guess it's nice to have it flagged that if there are Righteous Devil Stylists around you need to keep better track of things, but it's kind of weird that this is the only thing that mandates that.
                              • What actually -is- the Righteous Devil Style Philosophy? Yes, righteous judgement, but anything beyond that? Can you actually have people in creation with a Defining Principle of This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us and have it qualify? Because if so, what on earth's that got to do with righteous judgement?
                              Caress of 1,000 Hells
                              • No sin is beyond redemption. And fire. Lots of fire.
                              • Set someone on fire and make them repent or burn. If they repent, they are unharmed and have a new defining intimacy reflecting their atonement. If they try to attack again in the same scene, they auto-crash to -10 initiative. Those who refuse to repent take Essence-based levels of agg damage. Dragon-blooded inflict dice of agg, not levels. Those with mastery inflict a major tie on repenting victims, in line with their sense of atonement. Those who choose to burn get crippling penalties equal to the level of agg damage on their health track until the end of the scene.
                              • Does the fire carry on burning round after round? The charm doesn't say whether it goes out or carries on.
                              This... feels really out of place to me. In a world of supernatural Westerns, this would be awesome. But I got the impression that the Second Age would be lucky to have arquebuses, so why there's a martial art that revolves around firearms that are far enough developed to potentially have bayonets is beyond me. However, I can see this being slightly tweaked to work with flaming poi, which feels like a much better fit to me. Also the "this has a rigorous focus on judgement which is more important than the fighting, but can totally be cast aside at any point" is a fantastic example of idiotic doublethink in written form.

And next we have Black Claw Style.

I get the impression I'm being quite slow at getting through this, given that most people on this forum had read the whole thing from when the Kickstarter version was available and finished it before the final book came out. For me, it just feels like there are So. Many. Options. I can totally see the book's point in "only read what is necessary for your game", but it's difficult to know what is necessary for Exalted play in terms of charms, spells etc without reading through all of them. Which is taking me forever.
                              Last edited by Xerxes; 07-06-2016, 03:26 AM. Reason: Typos...

Comment

Typo in the charm name.
                                *Places on English Major cap*

Actually, at least in American English, spelling Judgment without that first E is an acceptable spelling. And according to Dictionary.com, Judgment is the spelling that often appears in many British legal documents.

*Removes cap*

Also, remember that Firewands and Flamepieces aren't firearms that shoot metal, they're more handheld flamethrowers. So you're not firing guns, you're literally shooting short bursts of flame. They're fired using Firedust, which blows in from the Wyld in the South. You find flame weapons there. Not COMMON, but they're not unheard of. Most people in the South, if you produce a firewand, will go "Oh shit, that's a Firewand!" rather than "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!"

Also, Firewands and Righteous Devil Style have been around since 1E. The weapons have their fans, and it gives the users of the weapons an avenue that sidesteps several of the Archery charms that don't play great with fire weapons.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X