No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe it's intentional since they mention you should roleplay it. I don't believe the intention is that one hands them out like candy, however!

Since it should be role played out, it's kind of like going on a quest to unlock the potential, that sort of thing.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      Egads! Is this confirmed as intentional, or is it an oversight? Feels far too good to be true, although I can see it maybe being intentional to give a sorcerer multiple ways to fuel up in many situations.
      It's not confirmed. There is a sidebar for *mortal* sorcerers. I would not let Solars learn more than the three from initiation charms. That provides a good power progression. If you want to roleplay out more things, great, but the basic power curve for rituals works just fine as is.

Comment

• Celestial Circle Spells

Cantata of Empty Voices
        • Be surrounded by wailing ghosts.
        • Their cries inflict environmental hazard damage on all enemies in short range, with resistance based on the sorcerer's Int. Failure also costs a willpower, and BGs immediately check for rout. May be sustained for free in subsequent rounds, and the range expands one band per round that it's active, expanding every 3 rounds once it reaches extreme range, to a maximum radius of a mile. This causes mass panic. Those who know it as their control spell can maintain it in initiative crash, so long as she's not hit by a decisive attack.
        • Distortion converts all damage to bashing, and prevents it from rolling over to inflict lethal.
        Demon of the Second Circle
        • Can summon more powerful demons.
        • Ritual is like the First Circle, with slightly different flavour, and can only be performed on the night of the new moon or once during Calibration. Demon still needs to be bound, and an unbound demon may still be angry unco-operative or both.
        Impenetrable Veil of Night
        • Sorcerer has Obtenebration 2 makes a ball of darkness in her hands and shapes it into a... column, for some reason.
        • Veil extends a mile horizontally and to any height required. All sources of light within this column are only half as effective, and speech and noise are echoey and distorted. This effects characters with supernaturally keen senses too. BGs in the area make a rout check at +1 difficulty. those with it as their control spell speak in a distorted voice, and gets bonuses to Stealth rolls but takes penalties in broad daylight.
        • Distortion causes the veil to part out to medium range from the sorcerer for up to an hour.
        • Come to think of it, something like Abyss Mysticism would be interesting in Exalted. Or is that just for Abyssal charms?
        No Shortcuts in Hell Sidebar
        • If demons do the legwork for creating a project, the player still needs to pay the xp cost. Good to know, and also good to know that more powerful demons can do sorcerous stuff themselves.
        Incomparable Body Arsenal
        • The sorcerer makes her body into an iron suit of doooooom. Or an obliterator, maybe.
        • Sorcerer may reflexively produce many, many mundane weapons from her body that can't be disarmed or destroyed. Sorcerer counts as wearing heavy artefact armour, and can function without air, is immune to poison and is unaffected by any extremes of temperature. Get double 9s on stamina and strength ability rolls, and adds 1 to all attack rolls. Those with it as their control spell can make evocations for it. These can enhance both the armour and its weapons. Essence users can enhance the suit by giving it artefact weapons, boosting feat of strength rolls or given extra health levels.
        • Distortion makes the suit do internal damage to the user, which does amputation crippling to the user, which disappears once he spell is gone. Can recover full functionality with a Diff 3 Wits + Occult roll vs the successes on the original distort roll.
        Ivory Orchid Pavilion
        • Sorcerer walks the boundaries of a magical tent, and then makes it.
        • The place is sumptuous, and filled with luxuries. Anyone eating the food or sleeping in it gets a major tie of blissful contentment towards it until the end of their stay. When the spell finishes, all guests are safely deposited outside, and for 5 years after the casting white orchids will grow on the spot. Those with it as a control spell may have it as an indefinite duration, so long as the caster stays in it.
        • Distortion turns the tie of blissful contentment into ties of suspicion towards the other pavilion-dwellers, which lasts until a dramatic scene where these suspicions come to a head.
        • Is this thing a TARDIS or not? I can't imagine a particularly large place could have its boundary walked in 5 minutes, and the description implies a mansion. Or are we talking a multi-story slim mansion?
        Magma Kraken
        • Sorcerer summons tentacles of fire.
        • Sorcerer designates where ten tentacles burst out of the earth, up to long range away from her. They form a separate opponent in a battle, flinging opponents hear where they burst out of the earth. They have stats 'n' stuff, and their attacks count as medium lethal artefact weapons, with strength and damage based on the sorcerer's Essence. Can only grapple one enemy a turn(!?), with flat successes(!!!!!?????) but no penalties taken from grappling. Tentacle used to grapple can't do anything else. Can wreak havoc on the scenery as a feat of strength. Can only be destroyed though gambits that are stunted to make an appropriate end to the tentacles. If all tentacles are destroyed, the spell ends, leaving huge chunks of obsidian everywhere.
        • So the perfect weapons to grapple people with are limited in their grappling ability? There's game balance, and then there's this, which strips a large part of the power's concept away so as to not make it overpowering. Yeuch.
        • If the spell ends at the sorcerer's discretion, do the unsummoned tentacles also leave obsidian remnants, or is it just the ones that have been destroyed?
        Shadows of the Ancient Past
        • A mystical video of the past re-enacts itself in front of the sorcerer.
        • Can see a specific time ago or linked to a specific event. Event can be paused or sped up as the sorcerer wishes. The recording gets fuzzy after five centuries of wear and tear on the tape, and only get vague images. If you have this as your control spell, you get to keep your own mental video shelf. Or a better version of Mind Manse Meditation, whichever image suits best.
        • Welp, so much for any mystery plot ever! "show me what happened when the satrap was murdered/the documents were taken/the building burned down", and you have your answer with this spell.
        Travel Without Distance
        • Sorcerer blazes with Essence and disappears, reappearing somewhere else.
        • She can go anywhere within Essence x 10 miles to a place she knows. Get a fatigue penalty for a few hours afterwards from disorientation. Those with this as a control spell can take a small number of people with them.
        I've actually been enjoying reading these sections, which I haven't really done in quite a while now. As much as martial arts were concise-ish, they still felt very charm-like, which was as grinding as all hell. These are something quite different. Which is weird, because there's flavour-crunch bleeds all over the place in this section, although I'm now assuming that they go together by default. Sorcery is the discipline where it's kind of expected, and it also matters less (no one's going to scream "anathema!" at a shaping ritual).
        Last edited by Xerxes; 07-18-2016, 02:51 AM. Reason: Spacing...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

(no one's going to scream "anathema!" at a shaping ritual).
          I imagine that walking through flames untouched and then absorbing the flames to summon your Magma Kraken will get some pretty intense reactions regardless.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I imagine that walking through flames untouched and then absorbing the flames to summon your Magma Kraken will get some pretty intense reactions regardless.
            True. It's just that they'll scream something that won't trigger a witch hunt in quite the same way.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
            Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

True. It's just that they'll scream something that won't trigger a witch hunt in quite the same way.
              I've got a Twilight in a game now that's trying to deflect most of his mojo as "Oh, I'm a Sorcerer."

"But you were glowing gold."

"Sorcerer."

"Glowing like an Anathema."

"Sorcerer. I draw Sorcerous power from the sun."

"And the Anathema mark on your forehead?"

"Say it with me now: Sor. Cer. Er."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Is this thing a TARDIS or not? I can't imagine a particularly large place could have its boundary walked in 5 minutes, and the description implies a mansion. Or are we talking a multi-story slim mansion?
                ​Well, let's apply a bit of math to this.

Average walking speed is about 5 kilometres per hour, which is around 83 meters per minute. Assuming a flat, open expanse, that means that in five minutes you could walk about 415 meters.

Let's say that you want your pavilion to be a perfect square, so you divide those 415 meters evenly between four sides. Each side is a bit longer than 103 meters.

You have thus walked the perimeter of approximately 10,000 square meters, i.e. a hectare.

That is about the size of Trafalgar Square in London, or your average international rugby field, or the space in which the base of the Statue of Liberty resides.

If you walk that 415 meters in the circumference of a circle, you have encompassed an area of about 13,000 square meters.
                Last edited by Isator Levi; 07-18-2016, 06:32 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Get additional motes from those who hold unrequited love for the caster being nearby once per day. Can only harness one intimacy at a time unless it's for her control spell. Can't get more than 10 motes per scene with this.
                  • Hang on, if you can only tap one ritual per day, and Defining Intimacies are 4 points, why the 10 point limit? Is it simply there to kneecap people using their control spell? That feels a bit of a niche cap, and kind of harsh, so I think I'm misreading. Is the "once per day" thing for the duration of the shaping action?
                  As I read it, each Intimacy can be tapped once per day. If there are multiple people who love you in the scene, you can draw power from each of their hearts in turn, up to a total of 10 sorcerous motes.

Are you now just an auto-sex-death machine?
                  Yes. Fuck mortals.

• Pay willpower to see an unseen foe while wearing the talisman, and gain sorcerous motes for successes that last for a scene. Add Occult rating to JB vs sorcerous foes.
                  • What happens if there is no unseen foe? Do they get to roll awareness and get motes anyway? Or is this purely an edge-case shaping ritual?
                  Note: it applies to rolls to notice hidden threats and all Join Battle rolls.

Comment

Egads! Is this confirmed as intentional, or is it an oversight? Feels far too good to be true, although I can see it maybe being intentional to give a sorcerer multiple ways to fuel up in many situations.
                    It's definitely intentional. Learning ones that are outside of your Initiation may be harder, but the fluff clearly intends for the first ritual to be the beginning of a Sorcerer's path, not the end. I expect we will see charms that do similar things when the Sorcery book drops, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I've got a Twilight in a game now that's trying to deflect most of his mojo as "Oh, I'm a Sorcerer."

"But you were glowing gold."

"Sorcerer."

"Glowing like an Anathema."

"Sorcerer. I draw Sorcerous power from the sun."

"And the Anathema mark on your forehead?"

"Say it with me now: Sor. Cer. Er."
                      Ah, see, that's why my next character, who at chargen has nothing by spells and occult charms, was previously one of the one in a million mortal sorcerers who the realm picked up.

"What? Of course I fly around on a cloud, I'm a sorcerer! Exalt? No. Anathema? Whaaaat! No I'm a mortal, here I'll show you my paperwork, I'm also licensed to summon demons."

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Ah, see, that's why my next character, who at chargen has nothing by spells and occult charms, was previously one of the one in a million mortal sorcerers who the realm picked up.

"What? Of course I fly around on a cloud, I'm a sorcerer! Exalt? No. Anathema? Whaaaat! No I'm a mortal, here I'll show you my paperwork, I'm also licensed to summon demons."

I thought the Realm generally doesn't use mortal sorcerers?

Comment

• Originally posted by IgnisDomini View Post

I thought the Realm generally doesn't use mortal sorcerers?

I don't think they'll mind on the other hand either. Look, it's a sorcerer who I can freely manipulate because he's not part of the ruling class.

Comment

• Solar Circle Spells

Benediction of Archgenesis
                            • Solar enacts a dawn-to-dawn ritual that brings rain and fecundity to Essence x 100 square miles of land. It turns arid land into fertile farmland, and life accelerates at a great rate on already-fertile land. This surge of growth brings in a hundredfold harvest, but is likely to deplete the land enough to cause famine for years afterward "unlessthe sorcerer is vigilant in counterbalancing the effects of this lush growth". Can be cast once per story, can't be cast on land within a thousand miles of an initial casting for a year afterwards due to geomantic upsets, unless it is to bring fertile land that was once arid into supernaturally lush growth. If control spell, the sorcerer causes plants to grow and sprout where they tread, and can recast the spell within a hundred miles of an initial casting.
                            • Distortion causes a barren and blighted patch to form around the sorcerer in the middle of the fertile ground. Animals react badly to this, stampeding and raiding food stores, and the spirits of the land are warped.
                            • This spell has several "the sorcerer needs to be vigilant", "unless they're careful" pointers, but gives no hints as to how that vigilance and care can be exercised. If a single cast requires vigilance to maintain balance, what can a sorcerer do with that vigilance? Casting the spell is not an ongoing action that can be modified, so what can they actually do?
                            • The distortion effect is noted as being around the sorcerer, but also in the middle of the land. What happens if it's distorted after the initial casting and the sorcerer is nowhere near? I didn't get the impression that distortion was time-limited. Have I missed something?
                            Death Ray
                            • Solar has hands that are like Cyclops shoots a red ray of destruction from her hands.
                            • The ray leaves devastation where it passes. Stuff gets reduced to molten slag, with only magical substances immune. Int+Occ decisive attack, with Essence-based auto-successes. Strikes things out to short range of the Solar, adding temporary willpower to the damage roll. Mundane weapons can't parry, and are destroyed if they attempt to. Enemies taking 3+ levels of damage are knocked back a rangeband and fall prone. Solar may not make a move action while this spell is in effect. Can be carried on for multiple rounds with another shape sorcery action, costs 5sm to maintain. Each additional round extends the range, up to a maximum of 6 bands. Solar can change the direction of the ray each round. Keep the initial attack roll, but roll damage each round. When the ray is over, the sorcerer resets to base initiative. The ray reduces stone or rock to lava, with appropriate environmental hazard penalties, cuts through trees and other wooden things easily. Those with it as a control spell gain motes whenever an enemy is incapacitated by it, or a battle group is dealt damage. Motes returned are based on their Essence or Size, respectively. These motes last for a scene, but can only be used to pay for more Death Ray.
                            • Distorting the ray makes it miss the opposing sorcerer for a round.
                            Demon of the Third Circle
                            • Third circle demons are big and bad.
                            • Ritual can only be performed once during Calibration. Each has their own appearance. Failing to bind is catastrophic, and can't be reversed.
                            • So, there are only 2 third circle demons...?
                            Rain of Doom
                            • Everything goes dark and death rains from the sky.
                            • Must be cast at sunset. The sky darkens, and a storm gathers for an hour. Can be countered during this time. After this, an area the size of a small city is rained on until sunrise. Caustic rain, doing agg environmental damage, falls. Characters who find shelter must ditch all outer clothing to be free of the damage. Kills most mortals on contact. Dissolves wooden structures, badly damages metal and stone. Magical and subterranean buildings are immune to these effects. Structures can be saved if it suits the plot, with damage being applied every hour. Fighting in the rain also imposes a penalty for the winds that the storm generates, and there's a chance of being struck by lightning. Runoff water remains damaging until sunrise, when sunlight's touch neutralises it. Nothing but stunted scrub grows in the area for years following the storm. Having Rain of Doom as your control spell, the onset is quicker and is followed by dark clouds, which inflict penalties to non-threaten social influence actions made outside.
                            • Distorting the spell makes a break in the storm around the distorter, which can shelter a single structure or group of people. Winds still happen in this area.
                            And... that's it for Solar sorcery. VERY short. Also really... not hugely useful, apart from the demon summoning. Everything else feels a little niche. How often WOULD you want to reduce a town to rubble?

And that's it for sorcery spells! And now on to Workings. They will hopefully be the meat of the system, as spells... meh.
                            Last edited by Xerxes; 07-19-2016, 07:40 AM. Reason: SPAC ING!

Comment

So, there are only 2 third circle demons...?
                              ​Those are examples.

There are also three of them.

Originally posted by Xerxes
                              How often WOULD you want to reduce a town to rubble?
                              Ask Genghis Khan.

Last edited by Isator Levi; 07-19-2016, 07:59 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

The distortion effect is noted as being around the sorcerer, but also in the middle of the land. What happens if it's distorted after the initial casting and the sorcerer is nowhere near? I didn't get the impression that distortion was time-limited. Have I missed something?
                                "Distorting the Benediction of Archgenesis causes all plant life within (Essence) miles of the distorting sorcerer to wither and die, leaving a barren dead zone within the blessed land."

Comment

Working...
                                X