A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
    That seems reasonable, but ill-considered. 1E was a great book, but it wasn't the platonic ideal of a RPG. If it were, we wouldn't be talking about what amounts to its third rewrite. In this case, I doubt excluding 3CD examples from the text makes much immediate difference, but our core splat can summon them. How long do we need to wait before the official system is going to support us actually doing that?
    It's always bugged me how in First and Second Edition we never got full write-ups for Third Circle Demons. Being told "Oh, they're kind of beyond the scope of being given full stat write-ups," and at the same time, "Your Players can summon up and command one of these things to follow them around like a pet for a year and a day," seemed mutually contradictive.

Comment

• That story was so great. That point is where the Flat Earth series really hooked me in. And it could happen in Creation (provided you summon a 3rd circle that might appreciate your guile in tricking them, instead of the perhaps more expected reaction of obliterating you for the offense).

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        An unbound demon isn't necessarily a disaster. Zorayas didn't bind Azhrarn, she tricked him.
        True, and there are certainly potential ways to bargain with a summoned demon to your own benefit. It's not guaranteed disaster, just substantially more likely.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Comment

• Not to mention there are things that a demon wants and regardless of the level they aren't really going to put up a huge fight if you bring them in for it. I think there was something mentioned in a 2nd edition book that it wasn't uncommon for Blood Apes that knew they were being summoned for a fight to only put up a token resistance because all the binding would mean is that they couldn't eat the summoner's side as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by AtG View Post
            Yeah, sorry, I didn't want that to come across as "Irked is a stupid-head who writes dumb things", I just didn't want my link to come across as an unqualified recommendation.
            No worries - it didn't seem that way at all, and I appreciated the mention.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• "Immortality needs a catch"

My current ST and I like a very simple catch for Immortality.

"I'm IMMORTAL, I'm not INVULNERABLE"

Yeah, one Working that grants Immortality could just remove your ability to die of old age. A knife in the throat will still fuck you up, and you don't heal any faster. If your health levels all get ticked off, you're dead, immortality be damned.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                "Immortality needs a catch"

My current ST and I like a very simple catch for Immortality.

"I'm IMMORTAL, I'm not INVULNERABLE"

Yeah, one Working that grants Immortality could just remove your ability to die of old age. A knife in the throat will still fuck you up, and you don't heal any faster. If your health levels all get ticked off, you're dead, immortality be damned.
                Or my favorite, your consciousness is attached to whatever remains of your form. Your body can be killed, your muscles flayed, your bones shattered... and you'll still be there, alive and unmoving in the remains of your ruined body. Just because you can't "die" doesn't mean your body will work despite the damage done.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Or my favorite, your consciousness is attached to whatever remains of your form. Your body can be killed, your muscles flayed, your bones shattered... and you'll still be there, alive and unmoving in the remains of your ruined body. Just because you can't "die" doesn't mean your body will work despite the damage done.
                  A variant of that I've seen somewhere is a curse of eternal life without eternal youth. So you wind up a senile cripple, forever. But that's not really within the scope of a chronicle, particularly with Exalts' extended lifespans.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                  Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                    A variant of that I've seen somewhere is a curse of eternal life without eternal youth. So you wind up a senile cripple, forever. But that's not really within the scope of a chronicle, particularly with Exalts' extended lifespans.
                    Possibly relevant.

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Thaumaturgy
                      • Thaumaturgy is the 'communing with mystical stuff' naturally, whereas all the other stuff is unnatural. Not sure I'm quite with that, but let's roll with it for now...
                      • Thaurmaturgists are generally mortals that have found a way to hack reality in a very specific way. They are unique, and so is their magic.
                      • Thaumaturgy is practical magic, and can't be learnt from books or simple observation. It must be taught.
                      • CONTRADICTION ALERT! "When one of the Chosen unlocks the power of sorcery, she gains this Merit automatically" and "One is either born with the power of thaumaturgy or one is not." Minor complaint I guess, but it bugs me.
                      • After all the "it can't be learnt from books, it needs direct teaching", the actual Thaumaturgy-learning system doesn't mention a teacher anywhere. Gaaaah!
                      Example Rituals

Reading the Tea Leaves
                      • See people's destiny in tea leaves.
                      • Success on Per + Occ roll tells of the next important course the target's life will take. Can also let the mystic know the course of the next day, with a higher difficulty. Success gives images, not answers. A more advanced version can give different flavours to tea to look at slightly different questions.
                      • Hang on. Book, you just said that mortal thaumaturges are exceedingly rare. But apparently tea readers are common. Does this mean non-thaumaturges do it too without the ritual? Or are you contradicting yourself again?
                      Unquenchable Flame
                      • Thaumaturge arranges rocks in a specific way and speaks, and fire burns even with wet material.
                      Second Bread
                      • Bread can be split into double the amount the thaumaturge started with.
                      Exorcism
                      • Thaumaturge can exorcise ghosts with a ritual.
                      • Pay willpower and take an extended Int + Occ roll with a difficulty of the ghost's Essence and a TN of its Willpower. This is a combat action. Ghost must be within short range to do it. Action inflicts penalties on the ghost's actions, and success sends it back to the underworld. Autofails if crashed or takes decisive damage. Higher version allows a demonologist to act against demonic possession as well as ghostly exorcism. Success casts them out into a nearby vessel for a year and a day. Difficulty is demon's Resolve, not Essence. There's another version that forces the demon back into its sanctum (whatever that is) for a night, which also protects it from being banished for a year and day.
                      • Is the "sanctum" the object they've been sent to after being cast out? I have no idea.
                      Speak With Ozashun
                      • Get answers from an... entity of some sort by enacting a ritual. It will answer your quesions about the area, and then gets to suggest things to children in their dreams.
                      • This feels more like a plot device than a power, in all honesty.
                      There's some interesting utility stuff here for a sorcerer, if only the rules were actually clear on whether or not Exalted sorcerers can spontaneously manifest Thaumaturgy rituals or need to learn them from someone. Also some good thematic ideas and excuses to pull both hedge magic and low-powered mythological stuff into the setting. I kind of want it to be clearer, but I guess that's not the point of it. But it could at least be consistent, damnit.

And that's thaumaturgy! Another monster chapter over. But one that was more fun to read than charms. Next up, Antagonists.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• In the past, I have allowed exalts that learn Terrestrial Circle sorcerery to just buy whatever thaum rituals they want at half the price of a charm. Their game impact is limited and really isn't that important to have restrictions on it. As far as learning and teaching goes, this is a big change since 2nd ed, as there were vast libraries in Yu-Shan with every thaumaturgy ritual ever devised whether they were discovered by someone on creation or not. I don't quite understand the move to make them rarer, again because their impact is very low.

Craft rewrite.
                        Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

• Thaumaturgy is rare. Tea-leaf-reading is common, for thaumaturgy. Like, among thaumaturges it's more common than other thaumaturgy rituals.

Comment

• An exalt who learns sorcery gains the Thaumaturgist merit, however they aren't noted to learn any rituals with it. So it just means that if an exalted sorcerer were to later meet someone who was a thaumaturge with the tea leaves ritual and decide they wanted that then they could learn it from the tea reader.

Regarding the whole "one is born with the power of thaumaturgy or not." It does say that this applies to mortals and uninitiated chosen, so it's saying if an individual isn't both an exalt and a sorcerer then you either have it or not. So exalted sorcerers are basically a work around to gaining this power.

Comment

• Probably a lot of people reading tea leaves. Probably a lot less doing it where it actually works. Still more common than other thaumaturges.

If you want your dime a dozen tea leaf readers, they're probably exactly like tea leaf readers in real life.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                                Probably a lot of people reading tea leaves. Probably a lot less doing it where it actually works. Still more common than other thaumaturges.
                                I think that was an example of how it works, yeah. Like, there's tons of people in Creation who read the stars, but it takes a rare person who can interpret what they foretell accurately.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X