Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
    I haven't, no.
    ​It's a strange looking thing; it just kind of hoovers them up, hardly even chewing.

A lot of animals that are regarded as herbivores rather than omnivores have been observed recently as occasionally consuming flesh or other animal products opportunistically or as an apparent dietary supplement.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​It's a strange looking thing; it just kind of hoovers them up, hardly even chewing.

A lot of animals that are regarded as herbivores rather than omnivores have been observed recently as occasionally consuming flesh or other animal products opportunistically or as an apparent dietary supplement.
      Horses will crush and eat small rodents too.

Comment

• Aren't there some theories that rabbits evolved from a carnivorous ancestor, hence the poo-eating to double up on digestion?

Comment

• *insert Monty Python reference here*

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
            Yeah, the quoll-lion is simultaneously a marsupial lion and a drop-bear joke.

The choice to use real megafauna, dinosaurs, etc. was deliberate, yes. Exalted has a history of using real megafauna instead of fake monsters in its bestiaries, albeit not universally—siaka are Megalodon, f'rex. (Siaka were in previous corebooks but we cut 'em from this one 'cause they were redundant with armored terrors.) "Animals" in other fantasy RPGs tend to be low-hit-die stepping stones along the way to "real monsters," but animals in myth and epics are a big deal. So it makes sense to pack the setting with real animals that are big deals. And everyone loves prehistoric megafauna.
            'Course, this is a bit undermined when the animals aren't really big deals because most of them by and large have trouble hitting anything with most of their attacks, but as a basic concept I am all for this.

Comment

• Not everything in the setting has a basic defence of five.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Not everything in the setting has a basic defence of five.

A solar with 2 dex and 2 melee and a normal sword can have a defense of 5 by spending 4 motes.

Comment

Not everything in the setting has a basic defence of five.
                  But the things that can't reliably have Def 5 are rarely - not never, but rarely - the parts of the setting we're actually interested in playing out.

(Not everything in the setting will ever care how hard it is to fight a t-rex, either; presumably most of the things in the setting won't. But the parts of the setting we're mostly interested in do!)

(I concur with the argument above that "animals are big interesting enemies" is a valuable goal, but that for most PCs the printed animals are immediately trivial.)

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aranfan View Post

A solar with 2 dex and 2 melee and a normal sword can have a defense of 5 by spending 4 motes.
                    Or much more reasonably 2 motes and a level 1 stunt, level 1 stunts are, and should be, really easy to get.

Comment

• I tried to be ambitious and do the Grand Panoply in one go. That wasn't going to work, so I'm breaking it down again.

The Grand Panoply

Intro Fiction
                      • Woo, Chejop Kejak! Not that he's been mentioned anywhere else at all in the book to make the first-time reader know who he is, but still...
                      • Nice and sweeping in its scope, but it feels almost like it should be at the end of the book, rather than beginning a chapter on items and trinkets.
                      • Picture works nicely, a fun picture of what Sidereal meditation could involve.
                      The Resources System
                      • Resources rating of a thing indicates the resources rating at which the purchase is "a significant but not ruinous expense". So like buying a car, or like buying the weekly shop? They're different sorts of thing, but both are significant.
                      • OK, so they get counted against different income brackets. So what does the Resources rating represent? While it talks about annual income, I didn't see any subdivisions of monthly or weekly expenditure in the Merits section.
                      • There are also loans to take into account. Right. It's all very well saying that the Resources rating isn't a hard cap, but making it soft with all those variables feels like a lot of things to work out.
                      • I really should read more than one sentence ahead as I write this thing. So far it's answered most of my quibbles a paragraph or so on.
                      • Helpful note about starting equipment.
                      Cost of Living
                      • Spending less than half your income on general consumables is considered stingy, which has social complications.
                      • Does this mean that general "cost of living" type stuff is listed here? Great!
                      Everyday Wonders
                      • A potion to delay ageing. But is Resources 5 enough for one dose, a month's doses, a year's doses? Not clear from the writing.
                      • Tea to help you see ghosts, that you need to build up a resistance to in order to use while awake. That's a neat twist, and a good way for an apothecary to retain their clients. Same problem as before, I have no idea how many doses the resources rating buys.
                      • Ah, the Fantasy Contraceptive. Notes on what happens when you overdose, but why would you, unless you want an abortion? I suppose that's reason enough, but still.
                      • Talismans protect against a wide range of things, and are apparently thaumaturgical. Kind of curious as to what the greater ones do and why they're different from sorcerous workings.
                      So far, so good. With regard to the Resources cost of things I'm still kind of wondering how much each purchase gets you, but that's it. And I still don't know how the intro fiction fits the actual content of the chapter...
                      Last edited by Xerxes; 08-30-2016, 03:47 AM.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Ah, the Fantasy Contraceptive. Notes on what happens when you overdose, but why would you, unless you want an abortion? I suppose that's reason enough, but still.
                        I think the concept there is to induce a miscarriage in somebody else, which would certainly be another way to utilize something like Maiden's Tea.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• Mortal Weapons
                          • So tags make the weapon, as well as a broad category. That's a neat system, not one I've seen before, but allows for custom weapon creation really easily.
                          • Nice explanations of each category. It's nice to have the refresh of what weapons add to the combat process.
                          Exceptional Weapons and Equipment
                          • Exceptional weapons are really well-made, being all decorative and stuff, but provide no bonuses. Kind of wondering why this is its own section now.
                          • Exceptional equipment also exists, which provides a bonus to appropriate rolls made while using it, which artefact bonuses already take into account. I understand now...
                          Melee Weapons

Light Melee Weapons
                          • It's good to finally know the proper name of punching gauntlets.
                          • Minor point, but I'm not sure that diving straight into weapons without explaining tags first is the right way round to do things. But I guess this is again a reference section, so strict reading order doesn't matter overmuch.
                          • Clubs are poor people's weapons. And the tags section doesn't add "sometimes" to Improvised in the way the text suggests, unless it's intended to apply to both Thrown (short) and Improvised, which isn't clear.
                          • Khatars are great. But they're also one of those "what's one of those?" type weapons that could possibly benefit from having a picture on hand, rather than relying on the Googlemobile.
                          • Sai again possibly could do with a picture. Or the text could say "Raphael's daggers", but I doubt that would be useful for everyone.
                          • I know it says "short sword", and so the picture is short, but some sort of scale would be really useful.
                          • Whips seem to have ALL THE TAGS, making them super useful. Is there no tag penalising use close up that might apply to it?
                          • I have never heard of a wind and fire wheel. But they look really interesting!
                          Medium Melee Weapons
                          • Woo, different kinds of swords. Now THAT'S a fantastic illustration of why the tags system is awesome. I like a lot!
                          • Reading the description of Fighting Chains, and thinking back to my comment on whips, I think what I'm expecting is that Reaching weapons have a penalty when used at close range. But on closer investigation this doesn't happen. Mildly surprised, but this isn't a problem.
                          • Hook swords cost the resources listed for a pair. Does that mean all the other "usually in a pair" weapons (so far cestus, wind and fire wheel) cost their resources cost for a single one? That seems a little weird.
                          • Seven-section staves can have between 3 and 12 sections!? I had my suspicions, but this mildly infuriates me simply because it's not what it says on the tin. Is this a standard name for this weapon in general?
                          • Shield is both a weapon and a tag. Noted.
                          • Partly because I read both slashing and straight swords one after the other because I lost my place, but both explicitly note the number of edges. What happens if I want a straight single-edged sword, because reasons?
                          • Staves are excellent defensive weapons but don't get any defensive tags...
                          Heavy Melee Weapons
                          • A strength requirement. Makes sense. But the formatting of it makes it easy to miss.
                          • Lances aren't used against cavalry? What about jousting?
                          Tags
                          • Balanced gives an Overwhelming bonus, but what does this actually represent? I know that swords need to be correctly balanced, but why does this translate into more Overwhelming? Probably one of those odd points of abstraction.
                          • Shields can't be used for their ability while attacking. Odd to the point where I question the use of the word at all, but game balance I guess.
                          Thrown Weapons

Light Thrown Weapons
                          • The darts entry kind of clarifies my earlier question about how much of each thing a resources dot buys you. "As many as you need" for the Resources rating listed. But that's only because it would be stupid to think otherwise, not because the text is actually helpful in figuring that out.
                          Medium Thrown Weapons
                          • There are very few of these. Surprisingly few, but then I remembered archery is a different category.
                          Archery Weapons
                          • Some reasonable clarifications of what archery weapons can and can't be used for. Mostly good, although I would have expected a "takes both hands to use" or similar clarification.
                          Light Archery Weapons
                          • And that's why it's not there. The hand crossbow!
                          Medium Archery Weapons
                          • Flame Piece... sounds mildly weird, but then again "pistol" would be do evocative of the wrong things.
                          • Firewands look like muskets. Difficult to hold them as not being guns from that aesthetic.
                          • Did not know that fowling arrows/bolts were a thing.
                          Tags
                          • These all seem fairly self-explanatory.
                          Special Materials
                          • Was the wrong heading font used for this? It's not a subhead of Archery weapons is it?
                          • These seem like a fun mix. Surprised there are only three, but I expect some geographically-focused supplements to add more as the range expands.
                          That's it for mundane weapons. Mundane armour up next. Sorry that the updates are taking so long - a combination of Skyrim and NFL preseason are consuming my life.
                          Last edited by Xerxes; 08-30-2016, 03:55 AM. Reason: Spa cing

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

[*]A potion to delay ageing. But is Resources 5 enough for one dose, a month's doses, a year's doses? Not clear from the writing.
                            I don't think it's a case of "spend Resources X to buy distinct quantity" so much as you need to be among the wealthiest people in Creation to afford any quantity at all, and just how much you get at a time is a matter of details in the scene.

Originally posted by Xerxes
                            Ah, the Fantasy Contraceptive. Notes on what happens when you overdose, but why would you
                            Improper measuring equipment.

It's probably not a common accident, but only because people who handle maiden tea are motivated to proper measurements by warnings.

It's like being told that overdosing on cough medicine could cause severely hazardous health effects, and asking "but how would you ever overdose?"; the point of telling you the safe limit is so that users know how much to take to avoid overdosing.

As a detail in the write-up, I think it mostly adds a bit of flavour, and partially adds a potential complication.

Comment

Lances aren't used against cavalry? What about jousting?
                              Jousting is a game.

Comment

• Flame Piece... sounds mildly weird, but then again "pistol" would be do evocative of the wrong things.
                                • Firewands look like muskets. Difficult to hold them as not being guns from that aesthetic.
                                Exactly as intended actually. They are indeed pseudo-bronze-age stand-ins for firearms for those who still want boarding action with cutlass and not-muskets in the West, or shootouts at high-noon with not-pistols in the Wyld South.

Comment

Working...
                                X